What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I think we have Halloween just because it makes going into November less sucky.

I had two doctor's appointments this morning, and then I ended up in Urgent Care. I set my alarm on my phone and naturally, the phone didn't do the time switch on Sunday! So I got there an hour early for my first appointment and only found out when I waited forever for the second one and discovered they were actually running ahead of schedule. In the end, I walked into the office this morning at 9am and finally got home at 4:30pm.

Now I'm going in for something else in January. I swear, every time I go into the doctor, I think I'm knocking one appointment off the list. Instead, I seem to get two more. Now I have 3 appointments that I know of in November, two in December, and two in January (actually 3, but 2 are back to back so that counts as 1) IF my doctor thinks I don't need surgery for my sleep apnea) and on top of all that, I have to schedule still another appointment with my regular doctor because although the Urgent Care doctor today was able to solve the result of my problem, he couldn't do anything about the cause because he thinks it will take an MRI (of my TOE, no less!) and only my regular doctor can refer me for that because my toe is not life threatening. Only because I haven't chopped it off yet, but don't think I haven't thought about it.

How can seniors ever be bored? All you have to do is have one or two medical issues and you're guaranteed to visit every clinic and hospital in a 50 mile radius more often than you go grocery shopping.

The latest wrinkle is needing an EKG (or is it an EEG?) before I go in for simple surgery in January, but why? I've had coiling done for an aneurysm, stents put in, and an angiogram done with anesthesia without anyone worrying about my heart. Now all of a sudden they're worried? You wait. They'll find something funny in the EKG and then I'll have a dozen appointments for that, too.

Oh geez, Kelly, you've had a time of it! Went to the eye doctor today for my yearly checkup. New Dr., since my regular one retired a few months after last year's appointment. He was awesome! This new gal is ok, but she's very young, so she needs about 20 years of experience to equal my old doctor. Vision is stable, as it's been for the last few years, yay! Unfortunately, the sadist of an assistant had to put eye drops in, 3 times, and I had my eyes dilated. When my eyes first started changing, it was new glasses every 2 months, basically. I'm EXTREMELY near-sighted, so much so that if I were to have the laser correction done, they couldn't bring my vision back to 20/20. Of course, it might be good if they could improve it...as it is, everything beyond the end of my nose is a blur without my glasses. I also have astigmatism, which makes depth perception hit or miss. Yes, I do sometimes misjudge if I'm walking centered through doorways, and wind up knocking into the side of the doorway. And don't get me started on trying to parallel park. I usually wind up halfway in the street or halfway up the sidewalk.

I nearly fell out of the chair! you two.  My first pacer device clinic follow up (at the hospital where I had the procedure done) is at 0900 today.  I have a work up appointment for getting my cataracts done scheduled for early January.  Both DH & I despise having our lives regulated by someone else's schedule, so doctor appointments aren't big favorite events in our house.  Kelly, growing old isn't for sissies.

The thing I really, really hate about old age happened last week when I finally got to hike the last five mile section of the Panhandle 'trace that I had not hiked before.  I guess its because of the arthritis, but I had chronic pain in my hips and knees areas that about wiped me out; if someone had not added bench set in a few places I don't think I could have made it.  It breaks my heart, because the second year we did this hike I hiked twelve and thirteen mile segments.  Yes, I cried.

10 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

How can seniors ever be bored? All you have to do is have one or two medical issues and you're guaranteed to visit every clinic and hospital in a 50 mile radius more often than you go grocery shopping.

The latest wrinkle is needing an EKG (or is it an EEG?) before I go in for simple surgery in January, but why? I've had coiling done for an aneurysm, stents put in, and an angiogram done with anesthesia without anyone worrying about my heart. Now all of a sudden they're worried? You wait. They'll find something funny in the EKG and then I'll have a dozen appointments for that, too.

I hear you! We've been on this same treadmill for the past couple of months. Last week we had 7 appts in 5 days between us. Consider we moved and are getting established with doctors in a new area limited by the approved provider list of our new HMO, and life gets trickier. Getting old is not for the faint of heart (and I don't mean that medically!).

Holly - hugs, hugs, hugs. Look at it this way - at our age we can at least spell and write coherent sentences, which is more than a lot of kids of 20 can't do (and if you have to use spell check, don't let anyone know!). So as far as I'm concerned, we're one up on a lot of people.

I looked back at my calendar and since July, I've had at least 3 doctor's appointments a month. It's not really that I'm so unhealthy right now. It's just that as long as I've got health insurance, I'm getting a lot of things done that should have been followed up on years ago. The infected toe is just surplus to requirements, is all. Sometimes I think if I'd get serious and lose about 100 lbs, just about all my health problems would disappear. But I think the older you get, the more it's the quality of life that matters, not the quantity. And unfortunately, I have long-lived genes on both sides of my family. My mom's 85 and going strong, her sister just died at 100, her brothers are in their 90s and all living, my grandmother on my dad's side died at 96 - so I say, if I have to endure this miserable old age for another 40 years, by God I'm going to enjoy it!

So today I stopped and bought a Big Mac with some fries and a Coke. And I have no regrets about eating the Halloween candy either. :ohyeah:

Mmmm. Cheeseburger, fries and a coke...the holy trinity. LOL. Had some productive stained glass work yesterday. Got a frame cut for a piece that's almost done. Just have to solder it on and do the final finishwork on it; then I can take a photo and post it in my gallery. Also cut pieces for a border on a commission that's nearing completion; lots of people who've seen it in progress have loved it, and said various things like "eye of hurricane" "whirlpool" or "spacescape", it's an abstract done in shades of purple and clear. Foiled some more pieces; I have to cut and grind a few pieces for a holiday suncatcher I'm going to hang on the front door: it's a French horn with red ribbon and holly leaves. Should be ready by Christmas. Also have to get more copper wire for the finished edge of it; along with some to use on a moon and star suncatcher that's almost done...Yes, I just keep cranking them out. My mom asked me how many she thought I was doing in relation to her; I said "for every 1 you do, I do about 4 or 5". Also got some new pattern books to use with an eye for mini stained glass work I hope to experiment with in the coming months....

• Like 2

Back home again after have been visiting the school I will start working at s their new principle/head master as of the start of the New Year.

lots of impressions and new people, all in all a very positive visit! Lots of great energy and people caring for their students and their tasks.

so fight now I feel sooooo maxed out from input and meeting but in a very food way! Felt very welcomed too so that added to the positive feel.

hugs

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Anna said:

Back home again after have been visiting the school I will start working at s their new principle/head master as of the start of the New Year.

lots of impressions and new people, all in all a very positive visit! Lots of great energy and people caring for their students and their tasks.

so fight now I feel sooooo maxed out from input and meeting but in a very food way! Felt very welcomed too so that added to the positive feel.

hugs

That is great, Anna! This will be an exciting new endeavor for you! Good things to come!

• Like 1

Jaden, my almost 7 year-old, has been asking about building a model kit.  I ordered two.  He is fanatical about a number of things, but pirate ships and the Titanic are high on his list.  I already have a large scale Titanic kit partially finished, so I decided go as "pirate" as you can get with model kits- I ordered the U.S.S. Constitution.  This isn't just any small model kit.  It's 1:96 scale.  To put that into perspective, it's around 36 inches long, almost as tall, has tiny crew figures and around 1,000 parts.  Around 300 of those parts are tiny blocks (pulleys) for the rigging.  The kit is for "ages 16 and up", but I built two similar kits when I was barely 13 and without assistance.  Jaden is young, but he assembled two 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzles with barely any help when he was 5, and I will be assisting him with each step.  We don't observe any holidays, but we do throw parties at random times and we followed my parents tradition of making a big deal about our anniversary. Ours is in mid-December, when the kids will get their presents. "Old Ironsides" will be one of his IF he can pass the practice run.

The "practice run" is a slightly smaller, easier kit- the 1/12 scale 1969 Camaro I have had my eye on for over a year.  I honestly do need to see that he can follow instructions and have patience, but I admit to at least part of it being for my own desire to build that car.  It will fit quite nicely in the modern Tudor's driveway. :p

I'm thinking about painting it candy apple red over metal flake gold for a glimmering effect.  Not a traditional paint job for that era, but I'm open to suggestions.

• Like 1

Wow, Jeremy, that's quite a challenge for a 7-year-old. If he's into boats, will he get excited about a Camaro? He could fail your test simply though lack of interest, eh? Why not get him a smaller ship or boat model as a starter and keep the Camaro for yourself?

My calendar is full of medical appointments as well - but they are for my dad, and I am tagging along so someone in the family finally knows what is going on!  He doesn't really understand half of what is being explained to him, and he can't remember the other half!  *sigh*  He was expecting to have some surgery done in January, but after the apt with the surgeon I highly doubt that it will go thru - we have to wait to see what the heart doc says on Monday.  I feel bad for him having to deal with this health issue, but surgery may kill him!

And on the bright side - I managed to get the cold that has been making the rounds at the office.  argh.  I feel lousy.  :/   I was hoping to get to the Philadelphia Miniatura on Saturday, but will just have to wait to see how I feel by then.

blargh.

Hi Everyone!  I haven't been posting much because I feel like all I do is whine about pain.   I am still going to PT and feel like I have been on the rack!  Still trying to get my SI Joint healed but its not going very well.  
Then, for the past week I had a crew of  7 men here redoing the entire outside of our adobe house.  It has been a zoo to say the least.   Between going to the doctor and PT, trying to keep my dog from having a heart attack ( he is so upset with all the commotion going on from the building) and answering the door for one person or another there is little time left for anything.   I laughed out loud yesterday when my physical therapist told me to go home and rest!   Funny man!
Then, we woke up this morning to blinding snow, freezing temperatures and gale force winds!!!   It was 70 on Monday......what happened??
That's all the news.   I did manage to sew some "grungy" snow women for a friend who is suffering from breast cancer.  I forgot to photograph them but they are wearing pink ski hats and plaid scarfs.   Oh, and I did finish my southwestern 1/4 scale village.  Maybe I will add more next year.  :)  Hugs

Kathie,

I was thinking the same thing, that's why I looked up a number of companies that make model kits and gave him a pictorial list to choose from.  If I had made the decision, I would have been split (and still am) between the Camaro and a 1/24 scale model of a long haul Peterbuilt like my mom used to drive.  He's pretty excited about the car and he knows that if he can follow instructions from his old man, he will get the ship in about a month.

Sable,

I had thought about painting it a metal flake M&M green, but I'm still undecided.  When I pick up the kits tomorrow, I'll have to make some decisions then.

Roxy,

Wish I could say I feel your pain, but it has been in the high 80's all this week.  I'm not sure when I'll have to dust off the old coat.

Our local Office Depot was offering computer cleaning this week.  With all the issues ours has had, some things haven't worked right since we brought it home the first day, that DH figured why not? and in it went.  We finally got it back this afternoon.

One of our annual events for this time of year is to attend the Blue Angels' homecoming show.  As usual we had gorgeous weather.

Today we will do some major work at the RL house, ie we will be putting in new windows in the loft/gable. That will give us a huge winwow area compared to the small one there is there today. scaffold in place outside, the three windows in place up at the loft after been hoisted up yesterday evening (not an easy task as two of them are odd-shaped) which was an adventure in itself but all went well in the long run. 

Hugs

After a night with pretty Heavy wind gusts (it was actually a class 2 warning during the early morning hours) we are moving about again, pretty tired and sore muscles today somehow... ;) those windows are pretty heavy hauling about but it worked perfectly, the pre-work hubby did to the are where the openings were to be cut was a perfect match to the window frames.

Have put a few pics in the RL house album:

large.SDC16970.JPG.325153f07aa1f9e3aaa4blarge.SDC16947.JPG.c3f2b3bc46947cbaaee26

Today will be a puttering about, doing just odd things here and there as well as tidying up at the loft area. Now we need to get the exterior trim put in place too but that won't be done until next weekend as I need to paint it a few more coats.

Hugs

• Like 1