What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I honestly didn't know there were battles in the Aleutian Islands during WWII.  My FIL was based in Kodiak Alaska but I guess he had missed the action by about a year. That's where he met my MIL. My kids are approx 1/4 Aleut Indian. They qualify as Alaskian Natives.  I'm convinced that fact got one of my sons into Florida State.

Anyway, I learned something new today.

Today I'll be preparing for early Thanksgiving dinner. My brother and his wife are coming over tomorrow. With their crazy busy work schedules it is really difficult for all of us to get together so we are combining my husband's birthday, my mother's birthday, my brother's birthday and Thanksgiving. Should be fun :)

We will be leaving shortly to go paddling kayaks with friends from Tallahassee, in the Blackwater River State Forest.  Juniper Creek today, Coldwater Creek tomorrow and the Blackwater River on Sunday.  After today's paddle we have to register, drop our boats at the campsite, and run home to hook up the Littler House on the Highway and get back to the campground & et up in time to go out for supper with the gang.  I hope to see y'all again on Monday.

Thank you, Debra, we had a wonderful time!  Because of recent rains the weekend before the rivers and creeks were in spate, so the currents were fast and the paddles got a bit technical, what with snags, stobs and strainers to avoid.  We had saved the Blackwater River for yesterday and a group from GA had paddled the stretch we planned to do on Saturday and described two "hellacious" blowdowns (fallen trees and logs that blocked it from shore to shore).  With that info we decided to do a shorter stretch further to the north.  When we got all the boats down the very step and rocky slope to the river's edge we could see a massive pile of driftwood about 50 yards below the bridge (there was a massive mess blocking the river piled up at the bridge, but the two spans on our side were clear).  Three of us went ahead and launched to see if there were any way around or over the blockage.  As you  an imagine, I had to be one (I have the curiosity of a three year old and about as much self preservative fear, at times)  The current was unbelievably fast and almost as soon as I got under the bridge the current slammed me sideways into the logjam.  My friends had longer boats and one of them who had gotten out to walk the jam looking for a way over or around found a longish stick with which to push the front of my yak off into the current and hold me there while I got my paddle into the water long enough to head back.  On the way back I got swept into a strainer and returned with a load of leaves and twigs.  One of the thing the three of us pointed out was that the tree we could see about 20 yards below the massive jam was also all the way across the river.  With the high banks and dense vegetation portage just wasn't happening.  Whilst all the drivers reversed the shuttle to retrieve their cars the friend who had helped me get my boat out paddled upstream to see how the river looked above the bridge.  He returned a few minutes later to describe how close the next total blockage was, and took a video with hi phone that showed all of the stobs and snag in between.  When everyone got back and all the boat got loaded we went over to the Gator Café in Baker.  Everyone except our very best friends headed back to Tallahassee.  They were also in a RV (in the site next to ours), so after short naps and showers and our sandwiches we didn't eat on the water we got back together on their site for a campfire, and then we left this AM.

I have some really interesting bruises coming up from all this weekend's activities.

holly, I'm lucky I still have my left eye after kayaking the Peace River in central Fl. The current pushed me into a fallen tree and a branch went right into my face. Had I not been wearing sunglasses, the eye would have been gone.  Still have some faint scars on my check, however.

Glad you are safe.

Thanks, Sable.  I haven't paddled the Peace.  Usually I don't go in when the current is like it is, but we are all experienced not only with paddling but with rescues.  At worst I could have pulled myself along the log jam over to the left where it was shallow enough for me to get out and pull my little boat back along the edge to the put in (in water up to chest deep).  Those strainers are dangerous!

We rested up after we unpacked and went out for the Jazz Society's annual Dixieland memorial event one of our good friends holds every year in memory of his wife. 

Today I'll be washing tons of dirty clothes.

It's 44 degrees and sunny here in Maine, and it looks like my idea of making a workroom for myself on the 3rd floor was a great idea. I had to take off my long sleeve shirt and put on a short sleeved one and I've got the window open. I've even been thinking about putting on some shorts because I'm still too warm in my long pants. It feels quite summery in here. I know it won't last, but for now it feels great.

I've got my worktable on sliders, so I can slide it into or out of the sun depending on how much light I need or how hot the sun is. For a person with seasonal depression this may be a fantastick fix. I sure hope so.  

The third floor is all sorted out and cleaned up. Yesterday I cleared out the guestroom closet and rearranged it. I found things I had forgotten I had stashed away. I just finished making new covers for some old yet still good foam bed pillows and even have a place to store them in. I'm so excited! I have places to put stuff away neatly instead of stuffing them wherever they'd fit.

Much as I want to paint my bedroom, I keep putting it off. It's such a big job to tackle.

1 hour ago, grazhina said:

I've got my worktable on sliders, so I can slide it into or out of the sun depending on how much light I need or how hot the sun is. For a person with seasonal depression this may be a fantastick fix. I sure hope so.  

Hi Graz,

You are probably well aware already, but what has made a tremendous difference for me in the Northwest during the long gray season is vitamin D. I have a a hard time holding it in my system (it metabolizes unlike any other vitamin in the body) so I get my levels checked regularly, and regularly have to go on 6 or 8 week prescription vitamin d that is 50,000 IU. My doctor has me taking 6,000 IU on a daily basis just to help maintain my levels. When I first had it checked in 2009 after I had flu symptoms, nerve pain and depression that I could not shake for months. My level was 13. The low end of the healthy range is 76. It took 8 weeks of 50,000 IU just to get me to a 26.

Once we got it leveled and figured out, I feel like my old self most times, no more debilitating pain and a much more hopeful outlook! I take the NatureMade gummy vitamin D, because it's also a little treat to look forward to at bed time!

If you do a Google on the benefits of vitamin D, and the consequences of having low levels, you'll never want to be without it!

Hope your new studio and possibly this information helps!

Jodi

1 hour ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

If you do a Google on the benefits of vitamin D, and the consequences of having low levels, you'll never want to be without it!

Jodi, I concur, Vit D3 can be great stuff. Some years ago people were saying it could help you lose weight. Didn't do anything like that for me, but once I started taking it, I found myself sleeping much better and having fewer dreams.  I never think to get a test to see what my levels are, I just take 2000 to 4000 units a few times a week, less when I spend more time outdoors.

Funny thing about the dreams, though. I found a long list of posts online from people who say they started having wild vivid dreams when taking D3, while the effect on me was just the oppposite. Most of the posters said they take theirs at night. I take mine in the morning. Maybe that's the difference, dunno. 

I've been taking supplemental D3 to help with calcium absorption.  I take supplemental calcium for osteoporosis; it must work; considering all the times I fall I only bounce.  My doctor is going to test my levels net time I get labs drawn.  I've not noticed any differences taking it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grazhina said:

Funny thing about the dreams, though. I found a long list of posts online from people who say they started having wild vivid dreams when taking D3, while the effect on me was just the oppposite. Most of the posters said they take theirs at night. I take mine in the morning. Maybe that's the difference, dunno. 

That is interesting... I also take Nortriptyline for migraine prevention and chronic pain, so I have wild dreams anyway... Not sure if the VD3 affects them at all.

Hey Jodi! My doc said the same thing about my D levels. "Lowest I've ever seen". She put me on the mega dose last year, then lightened up to what you take. In my case, the D gives me more energy. I avoid the sun and am a little overweight, which can affect how much D is available in the body. It gets stored in the fat and becomes unavailable to the cells, which then causes chronic shortfall.

• Like 1

Hi!   I had a lot of reading to do as I haven't had two minutes to get into the forum.  We are still trying to buy the house and the closing keeps getting pushed up another week.  This is the most convoluted house sale I have ever experienced!   Now we are aiming for the beginning of December!  

I have been doing some sewing but nothing in minis for a while now.  Hopefully after things settle down here I can get out a house and start to build.  I will be ready come January when I am snowed in.  

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Gobble Gobble!    

I've been unpacking and setting up the Christmas White Orchid. It suffered some damage in transit, but nothing that can't be fixed with a little E-6000. I'm photographing progress and will add to my blog in due time.

Well, my dollhouse came home today. I need to get a sofa table to put it on. I'll put the sofa table across the back wall and it'll be high enough so that the base for the dollhouse will fit over the end of the sofa. But right now it's on an end table in the middle of the room pushed up against the front of the sofa, and I have to admit, it seems like a huuuge house in this tiny room. I now have about 2 1/2 by 8 ft of floor space left.

I am wiped out - I've been moving furniture all day and I had to unplug and move my bookcase and my fridge just so we could get the dollhouse in my room. Once that was done, I had to put all the furniture back, except that I switched my bookcase and computer. That meant rerouting all the cords and cables to go on this side of the room. It took about 5 minutes to move the furniture back into place after the dollhouse arrived. It took about another 40 minutes to rearrange the computer cords. GAH!

People are already coming up to look at it and someone wants to come by tomorrow to see it. Anyway, I'm ready for supper, a hot bath, then bed, in that order. My hands are so sore from moving stuff today that I can hardly type. So I think I'm just going to go watch a movie or something.

Oh, heck! I haven't plugged in the earphones yet and that means moving the computer table and fighting with the CPU again. I think I'll forego the movie. And now I've got hiccups. Drat!

The sweet potato pie is made and a batch of no-knead bread is in a corner rising, to be baked in the AM.  The turkey I put in the RV icebox to thaw Saturday is in a cold water thawing bath in the kitchen sink whilst the giblets are cooking for the dirty rice we're having with it tomorrow.  The Kid arrived last night; we got caught in the 5 PM "rush" (I wonder why they call it that; we sat at one intersection through five changes of traffic signals...).  For the first time in nine straight visits the bus was on time! and we were late.  He and his dad are now outside erecting the tent his dad & I found in the good Will Bargain Store in Mobile Monday; it's big enough for the three of us to set up cots and still have room for a table!

• Like 1

We've been in the habit of spending Thanksgiving with one of Lloyd's cousins in recent years, but this year her family has scattered, so she'll be dining with us. I'm cooking mini turkeys -- Cornish game hens. I couldn't find a turkey small enough to suit a 3-person meal and don't want to deal with a lot of leftovers. Made cranberry sauce in the microwave -- fresh berries, orange juice, orange zest, yummm! Fresh baked bread, green beans (without the mushroom soup and canned onions!), oven roasted potatoes, Waldorf salad with a sprinkle of pomegranate arils. I do love fresh pomegranate! For dessert, store bought pumpkin pie and Cool Whip. I may dig out the good dishes and silver for the occasion, a treat for us as we usually eat supper in the studio while watching the evening news.

Lloyd had his post-hernia-operation appointment with the surgeon today. He is healing very nicely. The staff was amazed that he'd not taken any pain killers but toughed it out with Tylenol (with minimal complaining, I might add). He wouldn't let me fill the prescription for Percocet, said it makes him feel too far out of it. The Creole word is "cagou".  I like that word; it covers a multitude of situations.

Hung the poinsettia wreath on the front door and have battery operated candles ready to go in our four windows. The Nativity scene from my childhood will be set up this afternoon. I haven't done any of the repairs that I thought it needed. There's something appealing about its shabby chic appearance. The White Orchid Christmas house is nearly ready for display.

There's an unsettling feeling in the air here, I think prompted by going from that hot, hot summer to suddenly winter, seemingly over night. The end of the year seems to be running straight at us and coming very fast.

Listing all of the little things that need to be done before our guest arrives tomorrow has made me yawn. I may have to rest my eyes for a little bit before continuing the transition to Christmas. :D Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

43 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

He and his dad are now outside erecting the tent his dad & I found in the good Will Bargain Store in Mobile Monday; it's big enough for the three of us to set up cots and still have room for a table!

Will you be back yard campers? Or do you have an excursion planned? Sounds like fun, either way.