What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I recall somewhere pictures of old disemboweled CRT TVs made into roomboxes, along with old floor console radios.

Yeah, I'm thinking circuit board wall panels to start. I've seen where someone spray painted them and did something like that. Don't remember if it was for a roombox or something else.

Well, here's a good story. DH was walking down to the corner to pick up our mail and stopped to talk to a man who was repairing the damage some chipmunks had done to a neighbor's stone wall. 

When he came back DH strolled down our brick walkway towards our front door and put his foot through the bricks. There was a big chipmunk dug hole under the sidewalk. He had another one a few years ago. DH went back up the street to make an appointment for a repair estimate. The section of walkway leading to the secondary front door turns into a lake whenever we get rain in wintertime when the ground is frozen. I don't know which is worse, the wet lake or the frozen lake. Goodie, this winter we won't have a lake.

BTW, in Maine it's common to have 2 front doors. One is the front door everyone uses that's always tucked to the side of the front nearer the garage. The other one is the formal front door no one ever goes to and often doesn't even have front steps.

• Like 1

Good luck Anna!

I have been doing more crafting and less posting lately.   I managed to wipe out from all the shopping last Friday and have been suffering the consequences ever since.   I am headed to therapy again in a few minutes.   I dread it because I come home in more pain than before I went!  Has anyone else have this reaction to physical therapy?  I am getting discouraged already! 

You should be careful to keep very well hydrated after a treatment to help with the lactic acid build up. This is a controversial topic where newer research is refuting this thought. But the fact remains that inflammation and damage to muscle fibers do occur during any strenuous exercise and proper hydration is vital as is rest and icing. 

• Like 2

Today I joined up with DH to hike the Hutton Unit, a five-mile section of the Panhandle Trace Hike and the only part I had not done.  The lady who now leads the hike since last year sets a very fast pace and I cannot hike with her, and today she even wore out DH after the first five miles! and one of our friends acting as "trail angel" brought him to where I was waiting to join him.  When I offered to go home with him he said no, he wanted to finish the last five miles with me, at my pace (I can maintain 2 mph hiking, but at my age I have to stop every mile or so to rest and hydrate) so we did, and did 5 miles in 3.5 hours.  It was beautiful and the weather was lovely.

Tomorrow's hike is a road walk from just north of Navarre to Opel Beach.  The year I did that one it bored me silly; the only art I enjoyed was crossing to Navarre Beach on the bridge and then stopping for second breakfast.  When I mentioned looking forward to the breakfast stop tomorrow (I won't do the hike, since I want to hike the Dune Trail the next day) the hike leader said she doesn't stop for breakfast.  Our Trail Angel piped up, "I do!" and we both said we'd join her.  One of our two TAs is going to explain to the hike leader that it's OK to let those of us who have done this hike before (this is our 9th or 10th year) to let us go our own pace.  Today we were going to act as "sweeps", expecting the others to catch us up and pass us; but it didn't happen.

One of the up sides of waiting for DH was helping our friend break camp.  We're going to be camping at that stat park in two weeks, joining other friends for a paddling weekend, and our campsite will be the one next to the one our friend was vacating today.

Today I joined up with DH to hike the Hutton Unit, a five-mile section of the Panhandle Trace Hike and the only part I had not done.  The lady who now leads the hike since last year sets a very fast pace and I cannot hike with her, and today she even wore out DH after the first five miles! and one of our friends acting as "trail angel" brought him to where I was waiting to join him.  When I offered to go home with him he said no, he wanted to finish the last five miles with me, at my pace (I can maintain 2 mph hiking, but at my age I have to stop every mile or so to rest and hydrate) so we did, and did 5 miles in 3.5 hours.  It was beautiful and the weather was lovely.

Tomorrow's hike is a road walk from just north of Navarre to Opel Beach.  The year I did that one it bored me silly; the only art I enjoyed was crossing to Navarre Beach on the bridge and then stopping for second breakfast.  When I mentioned looking forward to the breakfast stop tomorrow (I won't do the hike, since I want to hike the Dune Trail the next day) the hike leader said she doesn't stop for breakfast.  Our Trail Angel piped up, "I do!" and we both said we'd join her.  One of our two TAs is going to explain to the hike leader that it's OK to let those of us who have done this hike before (this is our 9th or 10th year) to let us go our own pace.  Today we were going to act as "sweeps", expecting the others to catch us up and pass us; but it didn't happen.

One of the up sides of waiting for DH was helping our friend break camp.  We're going to be camping at that stat park in two weeks, joining other friends for a paddling weekend, and our campsite will be the one next to the one our friend was vacating today.

Sounds like so much fun, Holly! I'm happy for you that you go at your own pace! When I hike with my family, sometimes I feel like they are in a race. I like to lolligag, looking at trees, and rocks, and checking out the terrain. Just like with minis, it's definitely about the journey! Hope you have a wonderful time!

Thank you, Jodi.  I always have a good time on the trail, being blessed with living along the Gulf Coast.  On my first water break we spotted a dark green locust with bright light green stripes on its back legs and all along the trail were stands of beautiful little flowers, including an open area full of yellow ladies' slippers that were more than waist high.  Before the hike was moved to Fall last year there were bogs full of blooming pitcher plants and all the gorgeous spring flowers, and on one hike I went eye to eye with a redheaded skink:

gallery_8_1986_510698.jpg

Plants, flowers, terrain and wildlife! It's just amazing when you can take a time out from life, and really enjoy this magnificent world that we are a part of! It's like getting recharged again!

Luckily, here in the Northwest, we don't often run into things that are interested in taking a bite out of you! You Southerners are brave to go into your wilderness!

The little ($40) chair I broke to smithereens a while back when taking the cushion off of it was glued back together last week. Funny, I found two slivers of wood afterward. I can find only one place on the chair (and there's nothing wrong with the other chair) where that wood could have come from, and neither sliver fits the chair. I found this out after trying for an hour this morning to glue the sliver on. I gave up in the end, deciding that since I'm now going to paint this chair, it can go with a broken edge and rightfully deserve the title of "shabby" in the shabby chic genre.

And then my mom wants to know "what is it you do all day, anyway?" Somehow telling her I take my glasses off so I can see to glue little teeny, weeny bits of wood together doesn't really satisfy her desire for a credible answer.

She wouldn't believe me anyway.

Plants, flowers, terrain and wildlife! It's just amazing when you can take a time out from life, and really enjoy this magnificent world that we are a part of! It's like getting recharged again!

Luckily, here in the Northwest, we don't often run into things that are interested in taking a bite out of you! You Southerners are brave to go into your wilderness!

Says you! LOL Our wildlife in Bremerton wanting to take a bite out of you consists of bears, mountain lions, raccoons, coyotes, mosquitoes, possums, and people. I know here in Bremerton, they've had to shut down some local schools a couple of times because of bears or cougars that were sighted near or on school grounds. I've seen raccoons walking along the side of the road in downtown Bremerton at night and where I lived, 3 miles from the city center, I had all the raccoons I wanted.

The nice thing about all these animals is 1) there are no rattlesnakes on this side of the Cascades YAY! and 2) there hasn't been a confirmed case of rabies yet in any Washington state raccoon. That's good to know when you come home at night in the dark and some little paw with an opposable thumb comes out and grabs your pantleg while you're opening the door.

The neighbors never knew what to make of my cries of, "Jupiter, %*&# you, I'll feed you as soon as I can, so keep your paws off me!" as I slowly slid back down the porch post.

• Like 1

Yesterday we got our new Windows for the loft area (and one for the kitchen too, but that is just an extra for now as that area is next on the list to start) and we also got the scaffolding pieces to assemble. So tomorrow, while MiL and I prepare for the traditional goose meal (our version of turkey dinner) FIL and Hubby will assemble the scaffold. Then we will be able to actually install the Windows in the loft, a giant step towards turning the loft into livable space/our new bedroom.

Happy Dance!

Hugs

• Like 4

Yesterday we got our new Windows for the loft area (and one for the kitchen too, but that is just an extra for now as that area is next on the list to start) and we also got the scaffolding pieces to assemble. So tomorrow, while MiL and I prepare for the traditional goose meal (our version of turkey dinner) FIL and Hubby will assemble the scaffold. Then we will be able to actually install the Windows in the loft, a giant step towards turning the loft into livable space/our new bedroom.

Happy Dance!

Hugs

I'm so excited for you! New windows make such an impact, and getting new space out of the same house is so exciting! The remodel mess is kind of frustrating to live in, but soooo worth it! Be sure to post pics so we can see!

I haven't had goose since my grandma cooked it sometime in the 90's before she passed. I'll be drooling thinking about the crispy skin and what I'd make with the leftover goose fat! Yum!

• Like 1

This has been one of those RL weeks of really low-lows, and high-highs. My best friends father passed away Monday morning. I helped her with preparing pictures and flowers and program for his funeral service which was yesterday. I chose to stay in town for the service while at the same time my SIL's high school varsity  girls Volleyball team that he coaches played in Birmingham, AL and WON the Alabama 4A State Championship!! First time in the high school's history so I'm really proud for them. You know coaching..you can go from zero to hero to zero in 6 seconds. His little family is now on their way to the Atlanta, GA Aquarium for some much needed family time. He has sure been a grouch (when he wasn't absent) these last several weeks since play-offs started. My granddaughter called to tell me the trophy is riding in the front seat between he and her mother LOL!!!!

In the meantime we have lovely Halloween weather with a Full moon. I need these trick-or-treaters to hurry up and get by my house tomorrow night before I have all the good candy eaten up, that I have hidden from my husband:-))))))

Speaking of trick or treating ... would you believe that several Louisiana parishes (counties), including the city of New Orleans, have officially moved Halloween to tonight (Friday the 30th) because there is rain in the forecast for the 31st. I can recall trick or treating wearing a snow suit under my costume when I lived near Chicago and simply accepting it for what it was. Granted, some of the costumes may be delicate, but judging by the number of umbrellas one sees in various second line parades, I'm guessing there ought to be enough to protect the beggars. These folks are wusses, for sure!

And how can Halloween be moved, anyway? It is All Hallows Eve, the day before All Saints Day (Nov 1). So now it's All Hallows Eve Eve? Isn't this called Beggars' NIght in some places? My head hurts thinking about it.

• Like 1

The hike leader has canned Sunday's last hike segment, since rain is in the forecast and it's the trek from the Pensacola Beach water tower to Ft Pickens, anyway, and the road won't reopen until some time next week, plus our forecast rain is due Sunday; talk about a wuss!  We (DH & I) have done the hike in previous years in freezing rain (no lightning, though).  I do appreciate the new hike leader's concern for peoples' safety.  She still likes to hike at 3+mph and with four of them doing today's hike (You cannot imagine the residual pin I have left over from yesterday) DH was ready to stop for second breakfast at our halfway point, Sailor's Grill, at the foot of the bridge to Navarre.  The others didn't want to stop, so we ate with our trail angel and then I hiked over the bridge with Dh to the park on the other side, where we met up with our TA and rode back to our truck.  Tomorrow's hike is half of the trail through Eglin AFB, which is gorgeous in the Springtime what with the big leaf magnolias in bloom, some of them reaching spans in excess of three feet.  Sunday we're meeting our Trail Angel and any remaining hikers for our traditional "last day" lunch.

DH & I joke that we belong to an eating club with a hiking disorder, an eating club with a paddling fixation, and an eating club with a jazz fetish.

• Like 2

Speaking of trick or treating ... would you believe that several Louisiana parishes (counties), including the city of New Orleans, have officially moved Halloween to tonight (Friday the 30th) because there is rain in the forecast for the 31st. I can recall trick or treating wearing a snow suit under my costume when I lived near Chicago and simply accepting it for what it was. Granted, some of the costumes may be delicate, but judging by the number of umbrellas one sees in various second line parades, I'm guessing there ought to be enough to protect the beggars. These folks are wusses, for sure!

And how can Halloween be moved, anyway? It is All Hallows Eve, the day before All Saints Day (Nov 1). So now it's All Hallows Eve Eve? Isn't this called Beggars' NIght in some places? My head hurts thinking about it.

I'm on a forum which has the states listed. Someone moved to Maine, I think it was, or New Hampshire - I can't remember which. Anyway, they were complaining because the whole town celebrates Halloween on the day before so people can go to Halloween celebrations on Halloween night. The natives there certainly didn't seem to see anything weird about that. I don't understand it either, but I guess when you officially move presidents' birthdays to the days that suit you, you can do anything you please with the calendar.

Kelly, when I lived in a town in Pennsylvania sometimes they'd move the day for trick or treat to the day before or the day after Halloween. I don't recal why, just that we used to check the paper to be sure it was on Halloween that year. 

I just closed down New England Miniatures, have to remember to remove it from my sig here. It's a weird feeling, NEM being gone, but I've been looking forward to it in a way. The miniatures business has changed in the last couple of years, and I just didn't feel like dealing with it anymore.

I have to sort through my other sites, make sure I've got my links right. While trying to delete the link to NEM from the Victorian Interiors, I accidentally erased all the links on there. I'll have to put them back. 

• Like 1

Thank you, Grazhina, for providing a well-stocked, easy to use site for miniature shopping. The items you stocked were always first rate. New England Miniatures will be missed. :flowers:

• Like 2

So interesting that some towns "reschedule" Halloween! My family sometimes "reschedules" Christmas to a few days before the actual day, so that my partner and i can spend actual Christmas with his family.  Since we don't go to church or do anything outside the home on Christmas, there's nothing to stop us declaring an alternate day to be Christmas (and the day before "Christmas Eve") and doing all our usual traditions then.

I've been quiet on here the last while, as I had to get all my dollhouse stuff cleaned up and put away for the month of October.  We throw a huge Halloween party every year for which we build an elaborate haunted labyrinth thing in our basement -- which is ordinarily my craft space, and this means i need to clean and put everything away for a few weeks each October.  The party was this past Saturday and was a great time!  Creating these haunted houses was actually what made me realize i needed a creative project on more of an ongoing basis, which is what led me to start looking in to dollhouses this time last year.    Now the party's done (over 100 guests we think!) I just need to get through the cleanup and i can get back to my minis :) 

Here are a couple shots of our weird basement labyrinth (full scale, not minis!). Hope everyone had a great Halloween!large.webs.jpg.d5fa4e21dbb148edb87b738aflarge.5637b6d36dbc1_BigJ.jpg.44bfd7dd545large.dance1.jpg.21a370582a76320f87fe2e4large.5637b6d243c48_tvgirl.jpg.84ebf39ca

• Like 1