What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I just came back from the Skate Dauphin ice show. It still feels strange not to be on the ice, but my ankles and feel continue to be non-cooperative. I've been on skates since I was 3, with a unwilling break when I lived in North Dakota (no rink where I was). Yesterday I treated myself to Chinese food (it was my birthday)

Deb, if you like, do PM me, I have experience with helping adults with aphasia.

Everyone has been telling me that once I do a 1/2-scale model, I'll fall in love with them and won't want to do anything else! Well, we'll see. I also have one of the GL little villages that I got when I bought all the goodies last December so, like you say, those bases would work for those as well!

There are three different sets of GL villages and each one has different houses in it. If you look closely, you'll see baby Orchids, Magnolias, Arthurs, Brimbles, Sugarplums, and others as well as houses that don't have 1:12 scale counterparts. I make fairy houses with them......some mounted to bases and some are tucked into real life planters with silk flowers around them as if the fairies had hidden their houses away from prying eyes. I even built one into a little laundry basket which was adorable and gave another one a steampunk twist. They can be/do almost anything, including being added to Dept 56 and Lemax types of holiday villages.

Oh, here it is! I see that it's in stock at my local WM, selling for $6.97! How great is that! Here's a picture from the WM page showing one suggested use for this. Of course, your idea beats this by about a hundred miles!

Wood_Tile_Board.png

Yep, that's exactly the one! I've been finding them in stock at walmart in Denver for several years and they have them at the walmarts here in Phoenix as well so it seems like something they carry regularly in all stores rather than being seasonal or regional. I was really happy to find them here.

Barbara, happy birthday a day late! There's never a bad day for chinese food, but it sure makes a birthday feel more special. I'm sorry that you've had to give up something you love as much as ice skating but it's good that you can still go enjoy watching others.

Deb

Happy birthday, Barbara, and many, many more. I hope we'll all be here to help you celebrate for a long time! One more thing to be thankful for? Being so far away from TN so that you can't hear me sing your birthday song ;~)!

I just came back from the Skate Dauphin ice show. It still feels strange not to be on the ice, but my ankles and feel continue to be non-cooperative. I've been on skates since I was 3, with a unwilling break when I lived in North Dakota (no rink where I was). Yesterday I treated myself to Chinese food (it was my birthday)

Happy belated birthday!

• Like 1

I so totally agree with Deb - Greenleaf is family!

My company has arrived. My aunt and cousin got here while I was at work, my cousin got the freezer all set up on the now-clean back porch, and she had cooked up a bunch of "care packages" and froze them so I wouldn't be overloaded with cooking for her mother. So sweet.

The only sour note was the MESSY FLOORS! The day before company came, I had a housekeeper help me get things in perfect shape - paid $65 hard-earned dollars for her to do the floors and bathrooms, and anything else that needed finished. Got home from work on Friday and admired the pristine carpets, the sparkling tile kitchen floor, the gleaming sinks. Came home from work on Saturday to find leaves and gravel and junk tracked onto the carpet from unloading the car in the rain, and the kitchen floor was dirtier than Mother I get it in a month!! There was even some food spilled on it! I couldn't believe it! :yikes: So after everyone went to bed I vacuumed the carpet and scrubbed the kitchen floor, ran the dishwasher, and got things back in order. Then got up early and left for work in the morning.

Today has been okay. My cousin went back home yesterday, and my aunt is settling in pretty well. And I'm in the back office joining my Greenleaf family! :thumb:

And my little Georgian Townhouse is sitting in the corner, crying... :weep: ... abandoned and sad.

Deb, let me just say that while I never talked to you in person, your posts are all very clear and intelligent, and they don't seem at all like rambling to me. They are packed with genuine emotion, but that certainly is not the same as idle or incoherent conversation. It is always a pleasure to read what you have to say, and while you have obviously been through a lot, your posts are inspiring. I am honored you consider the Greenleaf community family, as I like to think of myself as part of that family.

It seems to me that you are getting better, and while a lot of that has to do with your move, I think more of it has to do with your positive attitude. You know more about your medical condition than your new doctors, and you are now well enough to take control of your well-being. So be patient but firm and stick with the medical professionals who are wise enough to listen to you.

One of the reasons I feel you are doing well is that you are reconnecting with your hobby, and miniatures are very therapuetic for the mind and body. So be well and keep posting.

• Like 1

The storage closet is built and all the interior walls are up. The plywood is a delicate shade of pink and today the contractor hand stained all the wood trim with Gunstock Minwax stain; I was pleased to see he uses MY method of applying stain generously with a rag of clean, old teeshirt, followed by a wipedown with a clean, dry teeshirt rag. His son-in-law thought all the outlet and switch covers stuck out so he has gone and made mitered frames to shim them! You cannot believe how gorgeous this all looks (yes, Mike, I'm taking pictures!).

We had to cut short a four-day trip to a nearby RV resort in December because our RV graywater tank hadn't been replaced and the repair shop had "winterized" the unit and removed all the drain plugs, but didn't bother to tell us either that they had been removed or where they haad been put; so Sunday we will go back for the four-day stay & sales pitch. As soon as we get home from that I told DH I want to go shop for a shop vac for the new shop!

• Like 1

Yesterday I went to the Philadelphia Flower Show, and while the flowers were beautiful, I thought the displays were more spectaclular when I was last there a few years ago. Still, I had a good time, and I puchased a miniature squirrel, as one vendor was selling a few miniatures to put in a terrarium. The squirrel is now on my front porch rail.

I have yet to go to Michaels and Hobby Lobby to search for spring things, such as little flowers to put in my flower box. On Saturday I am going to my local dollhouse shop because on Monday (St. Patrick's Day) it will be one year that I bought in my house i for renovations, and I hope to celebrate by buying something. I will also return to the store on Memorial Day weekend because that wil be the anniversary of when I took the house home.

Barbara, if my calculations are correct, your birthday is March 8, the same as my mother's. I know quite a few people who share a birthday with her, including my next door neighbor. My mother was 91 on Saturday, and unfortunately she now has poor vision and cannot see the changes that were made to my dollhouse. She still supports my interest in miniatures, but I would give anything for her to be able to see my house again.

I hope your birthday was terrific and that you will have many more special days to look forward to!

• Like 1

The oncologist decided this morning that I do NOT need chemo after the colon tumor surgery. The genome tests are so close to the bottom range he's amazed. Whoot! (Now, since my hair isn't going to fall out, I can get it trimmed up and human again!)

• Like 7

(yes, Mike, I'm taking pictures!).

And some of us may live long enough to see the roll finished and developed and the digital versions posted, assuming the CD machine isn't on the fritz. <ducking and running>

Note to self: I've really got to get over to Holly's and show her how to use the digital camera!

@Gloria ... that's fantastic! Sending good healing vibes to you. :)

• Like 2

That is awesome news Gloria!! I am so happy for you! :)

I love the gunstock stain Holly, it is one of my favorites ! :D

I have had my nose stuck in James Carrington's 1/12 Scale Character Figures for the past couple of hours. He gives such detailed instructions, I fear an online shopping binge is coming on, have my list all made up, retail therapy is good, right?

• Like 1

Stacey, retail therapy is the best. Also, the best source I've found for Sculpey III, tube acrylics and basswood is an art supply store. Also, I use chenille stem, rather than picture wire to make doll joints.

Wonderful,blessed news,Gloria! Now you can stop holding your breath-I cannot imagine not holding it while waiting for confirmations of a clean bill of health-(Sorry,I'm stepping on my tongue here,trying to say it right!)but anyway,now you can relax and move forward!! Have fun getting that haircut! Yay!!

Stacey, I think James/Jamie Carrington is an absolutely fabulous doll artist-this coming from a dollhouse lover who doesn't really care for dolls! :huh: But,I kept a subscription to Dollhouse Miniatures Magazine (Formerly known as Nutshell News) for a long time and his dolls were always popping up in those pages. I couldn't stand them at first,to be honest! :dunno: They just seemed so odd-those HANDS! But,I'm telling you,he grows on ya! :cheezy: I think his works are just marvelous now and he reads as a totally cool,sweetheart of a guy. I'm glad you have the book and look forward to seeing your new inspirations!! ^_^

Deb, let me just say that while I never talked to you in person, your posts are all very clear and intelligent, and they don't seem at all like rambling to me. They are packed with genuine emotion, but that certainly is not the same as idle or incoherent conversation. It is always a pleasure to read what you have to say, and while you have obviously been through a lot, your posts are inspiring. I am honored you consider the Greenleaf community family, as I like to think of myself as part of that family.

You're very much a part of that family Maureen and your words touched me deeply. You're right that the move helped me a lot and cleared my head, but being here and reconnecting with my family and my mini passion is what's bringing me back to life. I appreciate knowing that my posts are coherent.....sometimes it takes me two hours to type one paragraph because I keep reading it over and over and making changes to words til it makes sense. Other days the words come easily so I'm never sure if I'm making sense or not. The great thing about family is that if you don't make sense they just pat you on the head and give you a warm quilt to sunggle under til you're feeling better. :stretcher:

Wanna know what I did yesterday? <giggling> I have a secret vice that I have to tell y'all about. I have a thing for anything that sparkles. In fact, I'm a regular magpie about it. Bruce will tell you that includes anything from the Zales inventory and he's right, but to tell the truth I'm just as contented with bits of sparkly plastic and rhinestones. :gleam: As long as it has facets to reflect the light so that it sparkles, I'm fascinated with it. Add bright colors and you'll find me contentedly playing with it for hours. As a child my favorite pasttime was playing in my mother's button jars and jewelry box so that's probably where this little obsession began.

Well, yesterday I went off the deep end when I found the "Bucket-o-bling" in the walmart craft department. :laughbounce: Yep, there is such a thing and it's a plastic container filled with an assortment of different colored faceted "gems" about 1/8" thick with flat backs intended for scrapbooking but I see all kinds of potential there. The shapes and sizes are all assorted as well as the colors, and with the flat backs, they could be glued onto anything..........including a dollhouse. My first thought is to use them in altered books which I will, but I've always wanted to do a gem-encrusted house. Oh wait. That would be my fairy house that has genuine emeralds, peridot and citrine, but that's not the same as an all out, borderline tacky, blingy house. I wanna make one with bright jewel tones and tons of sparkle! A quarter scale house would be perfect and I'm thinking the baby Maggie is the best choice for what I have in mind. Hmmmm. I think I have a baby Maggie already built that I tossed back because I didn't like the way the paint turned out. I'll have to see if I can find it and then see what I can do with a bucket-o-bling and a dollhouse. It could be a fun home for a tiny magpie..........

Deb

• Like 1

The oncologist decided this morning that I do NOT need chemo after the colon tumor surgery. The genome tests are so close to the bottom range he's amazed. Whoot! (Now, since my hair isn't going to fall out, I can get it trimmed up and human again!)

Gloria, that's wonderful news!!!!! We need to have a party to celebrate. Somebody pass around the double fudge brownies and turn on some dancing music :cucumber::carrot::pepper::banana: :taz: :monkeydance:

Deb

• Like 2

.... I have a thing for anything that sparkles. In fact, I'm a regular magpie about it. .....Well, yesterday I went off the deep end when I found the "Bucket-o-bling" in the walmart craft department. Yep, there is such a thing and it's a plastic container filled with an assortment of different colored faceted "gems" about 1/8" thick with flat backs intended for scrapbooking but I see all kinds of potential there. The shapes and sizes are all assorted as well as the colors, and with the flat backs, they could be glued onto anything..........including a dollhouse.

Hahahahahaha - Oh Deb, I just bought the very same bucket-o-bling at my WM on Monday !!!! I'm using them to make a glittering sparkling crown. I adore sparkles and prisms and putting my sparkle filter on my camera and making ocean waves sparkle and water drops on the window sparkle and snow sparkle and icicles sparkle and mud puddles sparkle and spider webs sparkle and dewdrops on flowers sparkle and ... oh boy, now I think I've tripped all the way over to the Sound of Music. Oh well - you get the idea.

• Like 1