What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Holly, you just never cease to amaze me. And I mean that with the utmost sincerity and respect too. You're an inspiration in so many ways.

Guess what we did today? We got ourselves a new ride! Wanna see?

post-329-0-12937300-1395110409_thumb.jpg

It's a 2011 Hyundai Sonata in a lovely shade of "icy silver" metallic with just a hint of pearl blue in the clear overcoat. That's the actual car in the picture taken by the park behind the dealership. Isn't it pretty! Best of all, it gets 35mpg on the highway and that's become of the utmost importance to us. Bruce's office is 27.5 miles from our house so that's almost 60 miles per day. Our poor old Blazer was trying as hard as she could, but only managed 15mpg these days. We bought her new in 2001 and still got a good trade-in for her. I almost cried when I said goodbye to her because she was one of those "good" cars that don't come along often. That's why we'd had it for so long. Except for one minor transmission repair, we never had to do anything but regular maintenance on her and there wasn't so much as a scratch on her. However, we could see the signs that she was beginning to tire and the engine sounded just the teeniest bit off recently so after doing some research online yesterday, we headed down to Casa Grande to look at cars. Bruce said he had no intention of buying today but I'd already picked out this car and transferred the money from our savings to checking. <grinning> Sometimes you just trust your intuition on things like this. The Sonata was the first one I went to on the lot and asked for the keys to take it for a ride. Bruce and I had a code we'd agreed to say if we liked it and we both said it at the same time. LOL! So we went back to the dealer, did the paperwork, and drove it home.

It's sweet. The inside is all comfy even for me and I can get in and out of it easily. Bruce is 6'2" and he has plenty of leg and head room so it fits us. There are all kinds of bells and whistles on it. Bruce will be busy for days playing with the bluetooth and the stereo and the other geeky stuff. (It even has a usb port) The gas gauge barely budged on the 35 mile drive home so that's happy, happy, happy news. If we did the math right, we'll save enough on gas to make half the car payment. Cool! The only problem is that it's a zippy little thing and Bruce sometimes has a lead foot. I mean, it's good that it's got the horsepower to get up and go like that and it handles like a dream, but for a moment I saw that mid-life crisis look that men of a certain age get when they drive a sports car. :drive:

All I can say to that is :doh: . heehehehehehehehehehehehe

But anyway, that's what we've been doing all day. I'm exhausted but very happy with a pearly car. Hmm. Pearl might be a good name for her. Of all the things I name, I've never named a car before but this one seems to require a proper name so Pearl it is. I'm sure Bruce will be thrilled to hear that. <snicker>

Deb

I bought Baby, the PT Cruiser, new in 2001; in fact she rolled off the assembly line exactly 13 years ago this week! and we still get over 25 mpg on trips. Right now we're attracted to the Mini Cooper ever since we saw kayaks on top of one at last year's Paddlers' Rendezvous.

We just got home from our monthly Jazz Gumbo; EdMo Lanier Project the performers. During intermission some of our crew dressed as leprechauns and sang Irish songs.

Congrats on the new ride Deb. We always name our cars. They are part of the family after all. Of course we are kind of a weird family but, hey, I prefer to think we are just unique.

Someone, I think it may have been Deb, asked about the glue for the gems.

Well I'm having one heck of a time getting them to stick to the vinyl. The glue doesn't dry in the centers underneath because there is no air circulation through the vinyl, as it's not porous.

E6000 (an epoxy style glue) works the best for sticking but it destroys the silver backing and reduces the shimmer. The jewel glues (I have three brands) all pop off at the slightest movement. If I let it puddle around the outside edge of the gem and create a "ring" of glue around it, it lasts a bit longer.

I'm really frustrated right now !!! Anyone else ever glued gems to vinyl before?

Selkie, I went nuts trying to find a glue for the fence around the boardwalk area on my SF entry. I finally found the gel formula of LocTite that worked amazingly well. Because it's a gel, it sort of held itself in place until I made any adjustments to the parts being glued, and dried quickly like a rock! You only need a dab of it. I don't know if it will affect the silver backing, but it's certainly worth a try. You can find it for sure at Home Depot. Comes in a little blue-gray bottle with blue sides that you press in and squeeze to emit the glue.

Loc-Tite gel super glue is also available at Wally World and other hardware stores. It was my glue to hold what others wouldn't until I built the White Orchid;; that's the one that finally succumbed to E6000.

Selkie, what if you were to coat the back of the gem with something like clear nail polish or gesso to protect the shiny backing? Sounds like a lot of work, but since I don't have to do it ... :whistle:

Thanks for all the ideas. I really appreciate it.

The instructions said specifically not to use super glues because of the silver on the back of the gems. It also clouds them if them don't have the backing. I've used some of the glues I got from the bead store and Fire Mountain but again, it is this backing that is the problem. If these were glass or real, they would work but since they are just cheap plastic their only sparkle comes from the silver stuff. If only I could use the E6000 as it because it works perfectly, it just wrecks the gems.

I tried gluing some cloth to the areas so there would be something to grab the glue and that hasn't solved it either. I don't know about coating it with nail polish. Two slick surfaces may change up which glues will work. I'll try a sample tomorrow and see. It's worth a try.

I've cut out a new pattern and dug out my Gemagic tool and studs. They aren't going to show up very well from a distance because the studs are so much smaller that my Bling bucket gems but I'm running out of time to try too many more things. It has to be ready for this weekend.

Today I did my federal income tax, but I will check it over before I send it in. I still do it by hand, and I feel as though I learn something each year.

Since I've already revealed my life story in dribs and drabs, I am sure most of you already know I am a bit weird, so I might as confess that I actually enjoy doing my own taxes. It's just my own dollhouse renovations I won't do myself; although there may come a time when I might want to turn over my taxes to someone else as well.

Tomorrow I may start on my state taxes.

• Like 1

Watching the river yesterday on our hike it looks as if we won't be able to paddle while we're here; but I expect to give it a go as soon as the water level drops and the current calms down. We're thinking about checking out the trail heading the other way, and then maybe heading over towards Malbis to do a bit of shopping. They have a World Market (biscotti) and a Michael's (so I can try again for the garden miniatures & hutches; not holding my breath).

Maureen, I am a weirdo too. :D

Tomorrow is first day of Spring. I have bee
n doing laundry today and we are having fish for dinner. I am back on track with the eating and walking. I need to get my backside to the gym also. My muscles crave a work out. I have started to get the scale going back in a better direction. :banana:
I bought three House of Miniature kits from ebay. Hepplewhite Cellarette a
nd a Chippendale double chair settee and in the mail is a dumb waiter piece. I am getting my muse and ducks in a row to work on a house. I have to order Houseworks windows, shingles, siding, and I electricals. I am not doing tapewire this time.

That is about it. Just puttering today.

• Like 1

I had wanted to run down to the store today, but the back and hip are hurting way too much to do anything , so it will be a sewing and mini afternoon. Maybe tomorrow I'll feel like getting out.

• Like 1

I went on an Amazon used book shopping trip and will be anxiously waiting for five new books to get here. :D

Ohhhhhh an Amazon shopping trip is great fun and you didn't have to leave home!!!

I check the "Deal of the Day" for Kindle books everyday. Usually they have junk but sometimes I find something.....I love to get a new book! :bear:

• Like 2

I'm still fighting with the non-stick gems on this stupid crown (notice how it was an exciting one a few days ago and now it's downgraded to stupid). I have decided that I'll use my Gemagic gadget. I've laid out a design and it's looking OK. I'm going to take a picture of it in case I sneeze before I'm finished - Twinkle's suggestion - smart gal huh?

Just took a loaf of dark pumpernickel bread with caraway seeds out of the oven. The whole house smells yummy. It's meant to supplement the leftovers from the boiled dinner from yesterday. Can't wait to snag the end slices. They are my favorite.

• Like 2

We didn't do the other hike; by the time the sun came out it was time to head out and still COLD! although finally we could shed jackets about 2PM. I finally saw the "miniatures" at Michael's; nothing was really either 1:12 or 1:24. However in the beads I found one card with teapots and goblets, some of them will work for one scale and others for the other. I also found a card of beads with a wee toy car (with working wheels) and a plumb bob and something I think will work into a piece of furniture. The prize was a nice chunk of craft canvas marked Clearance that I shall stitch rugs on.

Holly, I just love when I find something good on clearance! Years ago when our local Fabric Bonanza was closing they got all kinds of "scrap junk". My mom walked away with about 15 yards of high quality Aida cloth, all different thread counts, for less than $10!

Trying to organize some stuff in my RL house...again :lol: My little one (probably should stop calling him that since he's over 6 feet tall) is home with a throwing up bug so I'm trying to stay quiet. It's a good time to make something for dinner that he doesn't like...I always seem to need freezer space.

On a personal note, I'm starting my new MS meds today. It's a twice a day pill which is sooo much better than my previous weekly injection. I lost an entire day every week with the side effects from those shots, but they kept my MS from flaring too badly for a long time so I'm thankful for them. I start at a slightly lower dose for a week to "get used to" the meds then up to the maintenance dose. One super nice thing is that the drug company offers co-pay assistance so I went from $87 dollars for a 30 day supply to $10! That's $25 less than my previous co-pay which equals more mini-money :banana:

• Like 4

Sarah, I too am pleased to hear of your medication change, and I hope it all works out for you. You sound like you really know how to make the best out of an undesirable situation, such as being able to make something your son doesn't like when he is sick and not going to eat anyway. - I hope you both are feeling better soon!

Okay everyone, I finally went to Rita's, so this will be the last of my endless posts about this year's free ice - I promise. :icecream:

I got mint chocoloate chip cream ice, one of my favorites, but it wasn't the free ice I was looking forward to as much as the first day of spring. As it was, I had to eat my ice in my nice warm car where I had the heat on.

After Rita's I went to two banks that were right next to one another. However, instead of parking in one bank's parking lot and walking to another, I drove to both of them. I know, that's bad but I was cold - not from the ice but from the March winds. It may be spring, but the lions won't leave to let the lambs come out to play. :cold:

So Heidi, I appreciate your sharing the fact that you are also weird, but I am afraid that may be all we have in common, as I need to get back on course with my eating habits and exercise. Unfortunately, walking is the only exercise I like, and in NJ it is often too hot or too cold.

• Like 1

I've had it with appliances! I'm waiting for my husband to come home so we can pick up the new fridge which is replacing the one that started smoldering in our garage two weeks ago (the smell of burning plastic was terrible, thank goodness we were not sleeping!). Today I noticed the bleach and fabric softener dispensers in my washer are clogged. Fiddled with it and maybe they are fixed, not sure yet. I have a house in Vero Beach and it's been having its share of appliance problems, too. That fridge needed a new something in January, the a/c is not cooling well, and the dryer makes a terrible squeaking sound (these appliances are only 5 years old and rarely used). I've had it with appliances!