What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

It has a basket under the seat (you need to lift the seat to access the basket). I use the basket to hold my O2 cylinder; haven't needed to use the seat. It does have hand brakes. If you wanted an additional basket, like something that hooked on the front, above the seat, I'd bet you can buy that as an "accessory," or even make something that works for you. It also folds so that you can put it into the car.

Oh, Roxy! Get well soon. This year's flu is a bad one.

What everyone else said, Morningstar, you have to stay mobile as long as you can.

I got another call this afternoon. A firm in Tampa that I applied to just yesterday wants to interview me next week!

• Like 3

... The concern is, that I will become wheelchair bound a lot sooner than I should....the hope is, I will stay ambulatory longer...*shrugs* either way, we're going to try this.

Morningstar, have you ever tried any water therapy? In my area, MD's provide prescriptions to receive water therapy at various facilities like the YMCA and such. That way insurance covers it. Exercise in the water is much gentler on your whole body but it keeps the muscles moving and the joints flexible. The one I've gone to has all handicapped features such as separate locker rooms, entrances, parking, lifts into and out of the pool and hot tub and will assign an assistant to help you as well. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Roxy,I hope you get well fast.Take care of yourself and stay warm!

Morningstar,move,move,move-even when it kills you to so;don't give up!The lady I am a caregiver for basically has,I am sad to say,just given up on any kind of life.

I've known her for several years-was her mother's caregiver,so I have seen the steady decline. She was active and ambulatory,just a couple of years ago. She stubbornly would not do what her doctors and therapists assigned her to do,back when she could have reversed or at least delayed some damages and now she just spends her days sitting in front of the television,about 14 hours a day,every single day,doing nothing. No reading,no games,no handwork-nothing but watching TV. She only talks when I engage her-which I do a lot,since I am a big talker!lol Some days I get so depressed(even secretly mad at her),because she is just wasting whatever time she has left...I am not the only one who has tried to get her to do more. She just refuses to even try.

Go get 'em,Jeremy! They better see what a gem they would be missing!!

Jeremy, if this forum is any indication, the folks you'll be meeting next week will hire you on the spot, and double your asking salary! The translation from the Yiddish, which I automatically think of when uttering such a statement, is "It should only happen!"

Thanks Selkie and Sandy!

I still have plenty of time to mess it up, but interviews are, or at least used to be (it's been a while), where I typically do well. What I lack is a degree in paralegal studies and the certification that is becoming a more common requirement. I plan to enroll somewhere and correct that as soon as I get employed and situated. In this case, they didn't mention it in the job description and it didn't deter them from calling, so I'm really stoked about next week.

It looks like I may not need to use that "Will legal assist for food" sign after all.

• Like 1

Well, I got a call from a company I applied at in St. Pete, FL recently. The call was going well until all three of my kids got into a fight and started screaming their lungs out. I tried to take the call to a room on the far side of the apartment, but it didn't help. I doubt I'll get a call back for an interview from that company now. :furious:

I'll definitely take a walk around the neighborhood the next time I take a call from a potential employer.

Maybe they'll credit you with being a good multi-tasker.

Don't want a pity party, but on Dec. 30 a routine colonoscopy revealed 14 polyps--removed and OK, and a mass that required surgery on Wednesday. (The prep was AWFUL). The surgeon was able to remove 12 inches of colon that included all of the tumor with a laprascope. (I have a great tick/tack/toe board on my abdomen, but no permanent Sharpies allowed.)

The surrounding lymph nodes are all clear (Whew!) even tho the tumor was thru the intestinal wall. It's "only" stage 2, and may require some chemo for cleanup purposes. Since I was up and charging around the hallways yesterday they sent me home today to beat the blizzard that hit a few minutes ago. Taking it easy, and have not needed the pain med so far.

I have tartan to make 2 kilts while off, and hope to do the final details on the dollhouses, as energy permits.

Don't want a pity party, but on Dec. 30 a routine colonoscopy revealed 14 polyps--removed and OK, and a mass that required surgery on Wednesday. ..... Taking it easy, and have not needed the pain med so far. I have tartan to make 2 kilts while off, and hope to do the final details on the dollhouses, as energy permits.

My goodness girl, please take care of yourself. That's a big deal. No fooling around with this, ya hear?!

God bless you,Gloria! You are amazing-up and at 'em,huh? Well,energy permitting,anyway,as you said.:) Take good care of yourself and you know we are all good at sending positive energy your way,m'lady!

Jeremy, I wish you much success!!!!!

Gloria, you are in my thoughts and prayers as you have this procedure. You'll get through this!!!! I believe this!

Roxy, please feel better soon!!!! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo!!!!! :) <3

The rest of you ladies, Thank you for your kind thoughts. I have scoliosis compounded by degenerative disc disease and osteo-arthritis. At this time, my lower spine is in the shape of a "C". very curved and is getting worse. My primary physician is trying to keep me as mobile as possible by having me walk with the forearm crutches instead of the walker, because they force me to walk upright. The walker allowed me to 'slump' over further and become lazy. I didn't want to go anywhere with the walker, because I'm only 48. I'm 'too young' to use a walker. I shouldn't be (as my physician said) in this condition so soon. But due to my spine being what it is, the deterioration of the discs in between cause immense pain. I have 'hinges' in various places in my spine..... when the 'hinges' rub against each other.. it HURRRRTS!!!!!! They told my mother I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I was 30, IF she didn't put me in a back brace. She of course couldn't afford to do that, and insurance refused to cover it. I've already surpassed expectations and I hope to continue to do so, well past my 50th birthday! I am NOT giving up!!!!!!! One of the reasons I like working with miniatures is that it I get to work with my hands. I have ulnar nerve damage to my hands. Working with my hands allows me to keep my hands from deteriorating as well. :) Yes, I'm a mess! but I refuse to give up! :) I have a family that still needs me.. friends that still want me and a dog that loves me!!!!

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

~morningstar~

• Like 1

Oh, Gloria, I'm so glad you decided to share your situation with us. No pity party for you here... simply because we all admire your gutsy approach. This is no small thing, as I'm quite sure you know very well, but your attitude towards the whole situation is beyond most people's belief! I'd be shaking like a leaf! Any time you need to vent, we're here. Any time you need to cry, we're here. And when you finish kicking this puny stage 2's butt and getting rid of it completely and finally, we'll be here for you!

Water aerobics, MorningStar. Can you do this? I mean, physically, can you do this? It's so much easier to move in water, and you can exercise your back, arms and legs at the same time. Selkie nailed it. Please think about discussing this with your doctor and find out if your insurance will cover at least some of the cost, if not all.

I was going to pulmonary rehab here in town and when I started, I found out that if I went through my insurance company, it would have cost me a copay of $45/session. Three times a week! Going there without involving insurance, however, it's $32/month!!! Can you believe it! It's just a shame that I've had to stop, but I still hope that I'll improve enough to go back to it. The point, however, is that, if cost is a problem, investigate every angle! Anything that keeps you moving will help and the buoyancy of water makes doing so that much easier. Water aerobics is so highly recommended for osteoarthritis and builds body strength at the same time. Please, don't give up. Prove those doctors wrong for many more years! We need you here!

Does it have a cargo basket on the front? Gotta have a cargo basket!

We're freezing our ears off!

Holly, does having a cargo basket help to keep your ears warmer? That's one of the best non sequiturs I've read in a long time! I'm still in my pajamas and robe -- been that way all day!

That's why I made the comment about the ears on a separate line, Sandy. I have no intentions of needing a walker; but if that day comes I've already spotted the one I want at a local thrift store!lol

Gloria, your colonoscopy adventure reminded me of the "routine" physical I went in for that resulted in my getting a pacemaker. I'll bet your post-op orders also include no hiking, biking or kayaking for six weeks, like mine did. How nice they caught it when they did! Take it easy, you'll feel great but tire rapidly; I think it has to do with having been cut open and stitched shut again. I'll keep you in my prayers and expect progress reports.

Oh, Morningstar, you are one gutsy lady. Hang in there.

Thanks for your kind wishes. I really appreciate it.

Thank you, sweet one. :) And I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Water aerobics, MorningStar. Can you do this? I mean, physically, can you do this? It's so much easier to move in water, and you can exercise your back, arms and legs at the same time. Selkie nailed it. Please think about discussing this with your doctor and find out if your insurance will cover at least some of the cost, if not all.

I saw that you mentioned this earlier, and I meant to address it.. I'm terrified of the pool! I nearly drowned as a child and am scared to death of going into a swimming pool, it took my Beloved a lot of convincing and promising him to be right there with me, every step of the way for me to even get into the spa with him when we had our inground pool and spa, with our house... No, I have a panic attack just ... no.. We have a pool here in the complex and I'm so glad there is a locked gate that is more than 6ft high around it... pools terrify me. I like lakes, because I can choose NOT to go near it. I like rivers because I can sit on the dock and dangle my feet and hold on to the dock. Pools, too many people splash and push and it's scary. No thank you. :(... He took me to the ocean and had to bribe me to go stick just my toes into it... he promised me dark chocolate!!! and promised he wouldn't let go of my hands.

~morningstar~

Get well soon Gloria! Abdominal surgery of any kind sounds rough. All I had done was a gallbladder removal, and it was awful for the first couple of days, so I could only imagine what you went through was far worse.

I might take the kids to our medieval fair tomorrow, so I'm unpacking one of my kilts in the morning.

• Like 1

Oh,boy,did I get some good news! My elderly mother's house has sold-Yay!!-and she will be moving in with my older brother for awhile-double yay!! He's her 'pet' and is at the beginning of a divorce,so it's a perfect fit! The house was too big for just my mother by herself,and going broke trying to pay a mortgage on less money after Daddy died and trying to upkeep it was way too much as she's getting more and more frail. She seems pretty happy,if very nostalgic. She and Daddy had another smaller house built on the same piece of land 36 years ago,but sold it to build the bigger house next door 15 years ago. It will be hard for her to leave it behind,I am sure,but it is really for the best. I can't do anything for her myself-I live with my own firstborn-so it was a relief to know she will be in the black again soon!:)

• Like 2