What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I got another email from my attorney friend in Tampa. She spoke with the founding partners at a law firm that was hiring. They saw my resume, but felt the work was too entry level and the salary would have been about $5,000 less than I used to earn. I appreciate their honesty, and it certainly changed my wife's impression that I lacked any skills, but it's still a disappointment. I'm stuck between "too experienced" and "lacks degree / certification", so I'm finding too few jobs I would even be considered for.

Ironically, one of the Houston firms I applied to today is a residential home builder. :p

Thanks, Roxy. I hope you're feeling better. It goes without saying, but drink lots of fluids.

My job hunt is just like my houses. Anyone who knows me, knows what I can do and appreciates my skills, but buying a house or adding a paralegal position to their firm just isn't in the budget. I have to look at it in a positive way and just be grateful that my abilities are recognized. Hopefully word will get to the right house collector or law firm eventually.

• Like 1

Ah, Jeremy, wouldn't it be something if you found a place where they'd pay you to build dollhouses??? My idea of heaven, right? I wish you luck in having something really great come your way!

Here's hoping all ailing friends are on the mend and have an especially good day today. :)

I got a toaster oven yesterday and will be trying to make a 1:12 polyclay doll today. I'm using Sculpey III, which is a bit soft. I'm hoping that multiple firings as the features are built up will help keep it from getting mangled in handling. The unfired effort ended up looking like an apple head doll. Oops.

Katie, did you notice in Jodi's video she uses a lump of clay to pad the head so it doesn't become mangled? I'm most definitely trying that next time little people want to come out of my clay.

I'm not sure what you mean. I looked at the Creager videos but found they leave out important steps that can only be found if one purchases their DVDs, so I haven't been trying to use them as a guide.

Do you mean padding for the baking part? I don't see that as a problem. It's the handling of the little head in my big ol' fingers that puts the curse on the heads. Katherine Dewey recommends bolstering the delicate bits with polyester fiberfil batting while baking. KD begins with a simple ovoid shape built over an aluminum foil core to keep the polyclay layer a relatively even thickness. I can see how that would be an advantage over a solid clay head in the baking -- less likely to scorch the nose as one waits for the brain to bake through. She also suggests draping the figure with a wet paper towel for the last half of the baking time if the clay tends to scorch.

FYI, KD shares some Tips & Techniques on her website here. She describes Series Baking here. She warns that Sculpey III is a weak, very soft clay that requires a light touch and needs a strong armature. Since I've saddled myself with this clay, I think Series Baking is the only way to go. (She recommends Premo Sculpey as her favorite.)

I looked for some 2.5 mm holeless beads at Michael's yesterday but none were to be found. I'm going to have to bake some balls that size to use in making a form for eyeballs (which are 2.5 mm balls cut in half, painted and glued to the head of a pin. The pin is inserted into the eye socket and the lids are added over the eyeball, which gives one a great deal of leeway in forming the expression on the face.

I'll take photos and start a new doll thread when I get going on this.

Ah, Jeremy, wouldn't it be something if you found a place where they'd pay you to build dollhouses??? My idea of heaven, right? I wish you luck in having something really great come your way!

Thanks Sandy!

As long as I didn't have to deal with kit houses, that would be heaven! John Zweifel offered me a job in his workshop several years ago, but the wages he offered weren't enough to survive on when I was single, let alone raise a family of 5 on. He's a really nice guy, but his wages aren't as realistic as the pieces his company produces.

Selkie and Holly, more than 60 years ago, these "knitting knobs" were called horse reins -- that's what they made (or thought to be the equivalent of) anyway! Yes, as soon as I saw the picture, it was "I remember that!" Made good use of it, too!

http://www.economyhandicrafts.com/p-10836-horse-rein-spool-knitter.aspx but I like yours better. Those bent hooks look like they'd be lots easier to work with -- the yarn wouldn't pull off so easily.

We called them spool knitters in the 50's-- grandpa made mine from a spool and tacks.

Kathie, in one of the Creager videos I watched I think it was Jodi had a pad of extra clay between the top of the doll's head and her fingers holding it to keep the shape whilst she sculpted the features. I have been rolling eyeballs from white clay. rolling them roughly droplet shaped and baking them, then painting irises and pupils on them and inserting the pointy end into the eyeholes and forming lids over them. When I bake the body parts I put tented foil over the delicate parts (having scorched and ruined the one set of decent hands I ever made!). I also bake in sessions. I haven't used an armature, so I'll be interested to see how yours turns out.

Well, I got a call from a company I applied at in St. Pete, FL recently. The call was going well until all three of my kids got into a fight and started screaming their lungs out. I tried to take the call to a room on the far side of the apartment, but it didn't help. I doubt I'll get a call back for an interview from that company now. :furious:

I'll definitely take a walk around the neighborhood the next time I take a call from a potential employer.

Aww, Jeremy, you'll take a lot of calls before you find the best fit for you.It's like making thumbnail sketches -- you have to do a hundred or more before you hit on the one that will work. Consider this one of the throwaway calls that you need to endure before you get the right one. But, if this happens again, you might say, "My wife has stepped out and I have a situation with the kids. May I call you back?" That will at least let them know that you are responsible and keep your cool under pressure. Hang in there! :)

• Like 1

Ah that's a rule in "The Handbook" that children come equipped with at birth.

Rule 23: When your parent is on the phone, always cause a ruckus, fight, throw up, need something urgently, etc The louder and more urgent the better.

Not to discourage you, but it never goes away. Mine are all adults and they still do it - not quite as loudly but they will still need to ask me something "quick" "it'll take just a sec" etc. if I'm on the phone.

Good luck on the job hunt. I'm sure one will come along soon.

Oh, poor baby! I know how lousy you must feel, Roxy. The very best thing you can do is sleep. Makes time go by more quickly and, most of all, your body heals faster! You know the drill... lots of fluids, stay in bed, away from everyone else, and keep warm.

• Like 1

So with the elevator having been out in our building multiple times, and me being more and more homebound, my doctor and I discussed forearm crutches. They arrived yesterday. Today I will be practicing again... with them. We have to go across the street to get groceries. I supposed that will be enough practice for one day LOL. The concern is, that I will become wheelchair bound a lot sooner than I should....the hope is, I will stay ambulatory longer...*shrugs* either way, we're going to try this.

~morningstar~

Oh, MorningStar, you must stay ambulatory as long as you possibly can! I don't know what illness/infirmity you are suffering from, probably because I haven't been on the forums long enough, but, please, fight with everything you've got to keep on your feet! Take whatever help you can get!