What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Congrats, Roxy!

My wife is planning to give the boards a 5th try, but she hasn't been studying enough (maybe an hour or two a week).

The new tire, brakes and rotor are on my bike, so it's a little safer to ride. I haven't gotten any calls for an interview yet, but I did get a call today from one of the best attorneys in the country. She offered to be a reference, which is huge. She is the attorney who tutored JFK Jr. after he failed the bar exam the first time, and has a reputation for being so well versed in the law, she has brought trial attorneys to tears in the courtroom. I wouldn't mind working for her firm, if it wasn't in NYC.

• Like 5

We just got back from a performance by the Cashore Marionettes; if you get the chance to see them, they are fantastic; the videos in the link don't begin to do justice!

And we think we have finely-tuned hand-eye motor skills?

Happy birthday, MorningStar, and many, many more!

Watching Joe's hands work those controls is amazing, although nearly impossible to take your eyes off of the marionettes in action. The very first live marionette performance I got to attend I was a little girl in West Palm Beach and the performance was held on the stage of Palm Beach high School's auditorium. I still remember the names of the humans in the cast because at the time and for years after they were very famous: Bill & Cora Baird. Compared to last night's show, theirs was very crude; but there is magic in watching marionettes like nothing else. I thought Joe Cashore must have studied engineering, but he is a painter.

Making my list, checking it twice..........going to Santa Fe to Hobby Lobby and Michaels on Monday! Wow! I am doing a happy dance! :banana:

Went hiking around town today, shopped for groceries and doggy treats for my big pooch ( 95 lbs of continually shedding) and now I am making that list.

No minis until after the 3 day weekend.

Roxy , congratulations on your son , that is awesome ! So glad you are going on a shopping trip , :banana: make sure you don't forget your list , that's what I usually do. :D

And happy belated birthday Morningstar :wish: hope it was a great one !!!!! :yay:

I spent the better of the day sleeping or should say trying to sleep , most of the flu symptoms are gone , but this wretched pinched nerve or whatever it is has got to go , hopefully something will get figured out Monday.

• Like 1

I hope everyone who is ailing or in any sort of pain has a better day today. Paying for the not-freezing temps yesterday, it has been raining overnight & gray skies this AM; a good day to hunker down and eat comfort food.

We took my PT Cruiser in to our mechanic Friday to get some last repairs done so we can sell it. It'll be like selling my child, but it's not like we need the expense of two vehicles.

Just took out the griddle (and accompanying paraphernalia) to make French toast. I make it from a whole challah bread (left it out overnight to get hard, so it'll soak up the egg mixture nicely -- and be much easier to slice). We'll have it for breakfast and then I package it up, 2 slices to a baggie, and it goes into the freezer so my Holly can grab one on her way out the door to work in the mornings if/when she's so inclined. How's that for comfort food? Tonight it's out to dinner at the Tupelo Honey Cafe down on Warehouse Row in Chattanooga -- rather eclectic really good food! They started out in Asheville, NC, and have a few branches now, so some of you may have been lucky enough to enjoy some of their menu items.

In the meantime, between breakfast and dinner, I'm taking out BOTH the Gloucester and the half-scale Diana -- just to look at them, mind you! Well, I do want to see what I need to do with the Gloucester because I'm not using the supplied staircase(s), but putting in those gorgeous spiral staircases that I got on ebay. There's going to be some adjustments needed -- and, since I'm planning to put in a basement and create a courtyard out front, I need to see how I'm gonna handle this, given the fact that this is a front-opening house, and I want to keep it that way (without putting too much weight on the front door)!

Just thinking out loud here. All this thinking and planning and decorating (in my head at this point, anyway) makes me feel just like a kid in a candy store!

Magic, huh? Never fails to amaze me... six hours of preparation (shopping, preparing, cooking, serving)... and in 10 minutes it's all gone! What an awful habit this is. Expensive, time consuming and fattening! Too bad we can't do without it! And with the steroids that I take, eating has become (unfortunately) my favorite pasttime! I can't stop the steroids, so I think I'll just need to have my jaws wired shut!

The steroids are so you can breath, my dear; and that's a habit you really don't want to break. And due to the diets both DH & I are on I've learned all sorts of low-fat and no-fat substitutes for the fattening stuff, but it involved changing our tastebuds big time and we can no longer digest fats without great pain.

No, this is true. I've become quite accustomed to breathing. It's the eating part that I object to, but I'm always hungry now. I just try to remember to grab an apple or some veggies (celery sticks work well if you wrap a piece of ham and cheese around it!) instead of carb-laden goodies! I did really well on the Atkins diet in the past, and I think I'm going to try that again. The fats don't bother me as much as the carbs do, and I don't consume much fat anyway except on a good steak!

Finally crawling out of bed to check what's going on. :missing: The cold I had for Christmas decided to come back for another round :stretcher: Been in bed or wishing I was for most of the last week. My dust bunnies look like this :velho: ( I'm the little wizard :rofl: )

My older son was sick as well; back to school/normal tomorrow. On the plus side, I've lost 5 pounds which I think is a result of so much coughing.

• Like 1

Hope you get your strength back fast,Sarah! My son went off to work Thursday with a cold. He stays over at his dad's on his workdays,as it's closer to his route. I felt so bad for him Saturday-texted me from work he felt awful. :( Has to work the 'holiday' today,then go out of town for a day. Won't be back home this week until Wednesday evening-I don't see how he does it,except he's young!

I hate Mondays,gotta tell ya;I hope everyone has a good day!

Feel better, Sarah! I'm sure this weather isn't helping any. We're having a heat wave here -- just for today when it's supposed to go up to 58° -- then temps are going to plummet to freezing and below. It's like a roller coaster, and it's not surprising that so many are sick. I do remember my grandma saying that germs can't grow in very cold weather -- so, if she was right, it's these mini heat waves that are gonna kill us! But after freezing, they feel so good! As usual, it's the stuff we like that we have to watch out for!

Day off from school here. Not enough snow for fort building or sledding. :cry:

The girls are wild into making those rubber band loom creations. Their rooms are covered in bracelets and book straps and rings and necklaces and headbands. This fad has followed the finger knitting one and we still have yards and yards of strips of finger knitted pieces that were going to be made into a rug by Wisteria but then along came the looming and we were off on another tangent.

They have also been using their knitting machine and little spool type knitting things. We used to call them knitting knobbies. Here is an article that shows what mine looked like. They have catchier names nowadays like a French knitter, a knitting nancy, knitting spool, knitting knob, a corker and in Germany it may be known as a strickliesel or as a tricotin in France. (got that list from the how-to website).

...little spool type knitting things. We used to call them knitting knobbies. Here is an article that shows what mine looked like...

I have one that came in a grab bag of crafty goodies I found in a thrift store, only the metal loops are each bent slightly outward so the yarn doesn't slip off until you pull it off with the crochet hook. When I was a pup they called them "tube knitters". I made (and lost) one from a styrofoam thread spool and steel shirt pins that I used to make replacement drawstrings for the kids' shorts.

Selkie and Holly, more than 60 years ago, these "knitting knobs" were called horse reins -- that's what they made (or thought to be the equivalent of) anyway! Yes, as soon as I saw the picture, it was "I remember that!" Made good use of it, too!

http://www.economyhandicrafts.com/p-10836-horse-rein-spool-knitter.aspx but I like yours better. Those bent hooks look like they'd be lots easier to work with -- the yarn wouldn't pull off so easily.

I met up with an old friend at Maude's (an indie coffee shop far better than Starbucks) downtown today. The funny thing about Maude's, is it's full name- Maude's and Harold. It was fun to get out of the house for a few hours. While I was there I ran into another former co-worker who was also laid off on the same day as I. He was studying for the Florida Bar exam. His assessment of the area is the same as mine- the local law firms are too small for realistic wages or benefits, and there are too few companies with in-house legal departments to work for. I'm going to follow up on a couple of applications I put out, but I'm focusing my job search on the Houston area for the foreseeable future.

When I got home, DS #1 wasn't feeling well. I gave him some Motrin, but a few hours later he woke up with a 103 fever. He stared at the ceiling and started laughing for a couple of minutes. I think he may have been hallucinating, so I gave him another dose and called the doctor. He's doing well now, but I have him sleeping on the sofa tonight so I can keep an eye on him.