Hi! I am new and live in Big Spring, TX. I'm married and have 2 daughters and 2 grandchildren, 6 dogs and 5 cats. I live in my doll house, a Colonial house built in 1897 that I love to decorate and fix up. I have an exact replica of my house that I made out of plastic canvas several years ago. It is just the outside and if I had to do it again i probably couldn't.

I mostly do regular quilting and crazy quilting and have numerous hobbies and collections. I have never had a doll house or built one but have been collecting miniatures for years in preparation to do so. A friend gave me a Harrison doll house that most of the basic house is already built. In a way that is good but in a way it is bad as I am totally lost. The instruction pictures look different than what I have so am confused. :)

I found this site while looking to see if the directions actually went with the doll house and looks like they do. I did find a picture of the Harrison by someone named Annette and hers looks like mine which I have attached a picture of. Hers like mine has the end room on the left side but my instructions don't show that section at all so am clueless as to how to put the second story part on.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself.

Julie

post-2189-1183379711_thumb.jpg

Welcome to our "little" family, Julie, you are in good company. Are you going to put the tembering on the Harrison, or leave it off? It's a Tudor building, but I can imagine treatments that leave off the timbering would give it quite a different look. I enjoyed building the Glencroft so much that I hope to build a Harrison one day.

Thank you for the welcome. I was thinking of putting shingle siding on it. My real house has it, but am not sure yet. I like all the tudor trim and am not sure how that would look over the shingles. I am definilty going to repaint. Don't like the blue much, or rather the shade of blue.

Julie

Hi and :) Julie!! Your Harrison looks great!! If you ask specific questions, people will probably be able to help you out of your confusion. Enjoy your house!!

:lol:

I shingled the Haunted House exterior except for the porch, which I sided; and I have sided uper floors with shingles, especially gables & dormers, like the Orchid and the Magnolia. I think the Harrison would look good with the second floor walls shingled & the first floor walls either brick or stone.

Hello Julie and welcome! You have a lovely Harrison in the works! Good luck! We all love to hear stories about "how you did it" and see pictures! Any questions you have will be promptly answered too!

Wolfie

Welcome, Julie! Flying blind in miniature is a great experience. Without those silly instructions to get in the way, your imagination will have a great time! :D

Your 'name' reminds me that I forgot to mention that I do miniature quits, and am working on an idea for a suilt shop or fabic shop. If you need any tiny quilts or help with any just ask.

Hi Dawn ... There was a fabric shop on display at a miniature show in Kansas City earlier this year. What blew me away was the 1:144 shop inside the 1:12 shop. Tooooo cute!

gallery_818_1013_99697.jpg

Thank you all for the warm welcome. For the good ideas as well. Since I didn't start this doll house it is a little confusing getting started. I did put some shingles on wall last night just to see how it would go using a glue gun and it worked really well and I liked the results. I like the idea of putting shingles on the top and bricks or someting on the bottom. That might look nice.

And yes, flying blind without the instructions might be a good idea as well considering they no longer match the house. Mine doesn't have the awning over the second floor on the front and one end, and it has that extension on the one end instead of the turret on the end. I'm just wondering if there is a different set of instructions or if the person that started this doll house just did this on their own. Not having the awning confuses the trim some but think I can figure something out. Plan to make a balcony on top of the extension on the end if I can figure out how to make a railing around it without the parts in the kit. Also am I going to have windows for the extension?

I found a great picture of how it is supposed to look and then how mine looks so that is helping some. Will just have to work around the differences. Any and all ideas are appreciated. I will definitly repaint after I shingle or what ever, I don't like the shade of blue it is. Haven't decided on colors but am partial to white with red and green trim.

As far as making quilts for it, yes I sure will be. Also as much of the other fabric things as well. Also have gobs of the House of miniature furniture kits I will be putting together for it. I started making a all pinks crazy quilt for it but am having a little trouble with the scale on that. Regular quilts will be easier. Violet 2Dawn would love to see your tiny quilts!

I love the little fabric shop, so cute. Maybe I could make that little extension on mine into a fabric shop, or maybe just a great sewing room.

So many ideas, What fun! Is there a good place to find things like hinges for the doors and things? I found some on ebay but think they are too big. Does anyone use the white wire miniatures in their doll houses? I have been collecting pieces and just love them.

OK, enough from me for now.

Julie Oh, and here is a link to my blog that shows what I normally do.

http://busybusyavidquilter.blogspot.com/