Keeping busy

Rbytsdy - You're getting along wonderfully on your Pierce! I like the wallpaper you've chosen.

-Susanne

Thanks, Susanne! I have been missing it very much lately, too tired in the evenings to work on it-- find myself pondering "drapes or blinds?" and "paperclay or egg carton for the fireplaces?" on the morning commutes-- maybe I will get some time this weekend, and finish the second flooring so I can start putting up walls...

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you show photos of the other dolls that you're working on?
The other two commissions I just finished are awaiting their recipients to receive them so I can get their consent to post the pictures here. gallery_8_8_60049.jpg

I will show how the Small children replacements turned out.

My sister from Oregon came and went, and I worked on my georgian last night for several hours! I had an attack of recurring shingles (gee, it isnt supposed to come back, but mine do) and IBS (a curse to say the least) all from stress. I got another shipment from Ernie's Hobby Supply (more windows, grain-of-wheat lights to wire antique chandaliers and crown molding), so you can guess what I will be working on. I have spent more on windows (up to 23 now) for this georgian than anything! But once you start with them, you gotta finish with them or it looks goofy.

As I mentioned in another thread, I am doing and redoing the hall ceiling....it just isnt coming out right, but I think the current iteration might be close! I hope so. I made another staircase - this one for the second to third floor and am working on the railing - little wooden sticks with a hand made banister- this time of wood, not clay. I dropped a can of spray paint on the first one and broke the banister in several places, but it was a little croooked and now it is straight after repair (karma?).

Basically I love my dhs no matter what grief they give me sometimes. True to character, my sister gave them a cursory nod only. I dont know about your families, but in mine, she was supposed to be the "artist", my brother the "brain" and me the "also ran". Unfortunately for them, it didnt work out quite that way! My little brother was to be the "failure" and he filled his role perfectly to please my mother and died young for good measure. Families - cant live with them, cant live without them!

I'm waiting for bits and pieces from HBS for the houseboat. Yesterday afternoon I pulled out all of the furniture and accessories and staged the two decks. It's really coming along! I'll take pics this morning and post 'em later today.

This afternoon DH and I are going to Columbia to pick up a rain barrel. We had gutters put on our little tool shed to protect the flowers, which were getting washed out after every rain as the water sheeted off the roof. They come together in back to join the downspout ...perfect for a rain barrel. :lol: It's made from recycled barrels once used for food-grade syrups.

I may uhhhhhhh suggest a stop at Michael's as long as we're there.

Edited 11 pm: Houseboat pictures posted in my blog. We did stop at Michael's. Got some gargoyles (thanks, Heidi) and an oak leaf punch.

After a few months of not really touching anything miniature I started back into it tonight...sort of. My 12 year old niece was down home and wanted something crafty to do and I had one of these kits that I bought months ago:

DHH_mn.jpg

It's the perfect project for her. She only lives a mile up the road, but is keeping it at my house. We did a dry fit and stained the floors a mahogany. She's making all the decisions and I'm just helping her along. She's decided to paint and wallpaper before assembly after we got the dry fit taped up. I've done it before and after so either way is fine with me. So we're doing it all the work pre-building and then the last thing assemble and then touch up. She doesn't know if she wants a fairy house or a beach house. She also doesn't know the colors yet, but we did get some work started on it. I was surprised at the quality of this kit. It was only $12, but the wood is really nice and all the tabs fit in really good. Great kit for kids to do.

I am still trying to get the first floor hall ceiling right (now on 7th or 8th generation) and working on the 1st and 2nd floor staircases. I mean I have spent hours on these things, but I am not going to compromise. I am going to work on the living room inside shutters for a little break -- perhaps the big breakthrough will come after being on the back burner for a while.

I cant find a hepplewhite style buffet for the dining room -the HOM kit isnt wide enough - I want something about 6" wide and less than 2" deep and about slightly less than 3" high. I might have to make it by bashing some HOM kits and some other pieces ....I want clean lines but still in the Georgian period. I have been watching ebay and searching internet stores to no avail. The bash could be a lot of fun.

Finished the 4th storey roof/attic design and have the basics in place.

Thinking about the art deco house i will be doing next.

Hope you all are having fun.....alyce

Well a decision has been made for me. My next project will be the gazebo by RGT. My daughter saw the kit while I was cleaning my craft room and asked if I would build it and let her use it as a decoration on the gift table at her wedding in Feb, She asked if it could be decorated in their wedding colors and got all excited about having dolls in it that resemble them. I have a few doll kits I can work with but may pick the brains of those that make dolls as one will need a different complexion tone then it currently has.

Melissa

havent been doing much, other than minis for swaps. (circle & August) have most done for August one and the other is finished, just waiting for date to come for sending and need to get add. of partner im sending too.. :yes:

I've been wallpapering the master's library and the downstairs hall. Also working on the staircases and finally got a hall ceiling I liked - Nothing at all like all the time I spent on one design - go figure. Worked on some windows and generally fussed around with the georgian. Found the perfect sideboard but cant spend the money on it - it is a Tynie Toy and although they are rare, they can be found. I would rather bash one together, just because I think I can! Tomorrow I will work on the Lady's room (bedroom) but have to final fit/trim for the windows before I wall paper (I will install them later).

Love the Dremel jig saw attachment and highly recommend it - the only thing so far that I could use to cut windows out after the walls were up (1/4" plywood, not luan which is easier to cut).

I have sold almost all the dollhouse furniture and accessories that I had in my "bricks and mortar" co-op booth - yea, since now I can start adding more and try to offer more to the area - there are few stores around except for AC Moore and an expensive store about 20 miles away. I am really pleased, since I want to "spread the dh/minis word". I am going to ask the co-op owner (there are about 100 vendors in her building) if I can put an ad in the local paper advertising dhs/minis in my booth. I cant think why she would object since it could bring additional traffic into the co-op.

Hope you all have a great weekend. Tomorrow I hope to add tons of pictures to my gallery - including BlackBird Farm, which I made last fall.

This is the last picture I took of PPP before we left, showing some of the bathroom fixtures I finished in situ and the pre-trimmed wallpaper & carpet in the bedroom (with "working" casement window); I shall have to make a small closet or wardrobe for the bedroom, I found a Holly Hobbie doll in scale with clothes at a Kay-Bee outlet to "live" in it and she has a change of clothes.

gallery_8_1103_348646.jpg

Well Holly, there is nothing Pitiful with Pearl anymore so the first two P's will have to hanve some other meaning real soon :D

Love your progress with her and I bet she is giggling and enjoying the attention!

And I just loooove the tiles and "wooden" floorinng in there as well, I am fortunate enough that my "Her Highness" screamed for those from Greenleaf as well and they were a dream to work with! (You think we canpersuade Dean to make them in more colours??? <keeping the fingers crossed>)

Thanks for sharing!

Hugs

I have been making a couch an ottoman for my Brookwood. I got DH to saw some wood for me to bash the kit. There are pictures of both in my album, but here is a teaser of the furniture.

I am making a lot of progress on my Georgian the past few days - finished all the wall papering on the first and second floors and just have the attic and basement kitchen to decide and do. I have made the art ceilings for most of the rooms and redid the bottom half of the main floor staircase banister (it just didnt look right). Bit have "many miles to go" re windows (23 of them to do including shimming since they are deeper than the walls). And havent done a thing with the exterior. The wiring is in but no lamps or chandaliers - mostly I havent made them yet! I figure i might be done around Christmas. Am going to experiment with my soldering iron to make roof railings out of coat hangers or some kind of wire.

Next house is art deco from plans I bought on ebay. Already thinking about how to do the curved windows with real glass. I want to do a 1930s kitchen roombox too since got some cast iron kitchen stuff (stove, sink, cabinet, table, chairs and ice box) and it is a little too big for 1/12 scale.

Hope you are having a great weekend.....Alyce

I have been working on my yard. Still a lot to do for this year. I am taking a break today though due to rain and working on the H&G house. We went to a town called Frankenmuth yesterday and there is a great mini store there where I picked up several things for my houses - including a fire for my fireplace.

I finished painting the walls downstairs and putting up wallpaper borders in Pearl's livingroom & kitchen and then I pulled apart one of the stairways and picked off all the hot glue and then made risers from the wider craft sticks and glued the stairs back together again. I cut up a bunch of bamboo skewers into posts and glued them onto the treads and then cut a piece of channel molding for the handrail. It looks Ok. I measured a piece of foamcore to glue to the back of the first floor stairs, but I'm thinking I'll leave the second floor stairs open in back. I'm not sure what color I'll paint the stairs yet, but this being a kid's house, I shall paint them.

I bashed a closet in the bedroom and made curtains for the casement window. Tomorrow is an errand day.

Got a bit sidetracked after yesterdays forray in fimo and I had these pillows sort of ready to make, and I have intended to make some so that I have some "in stock" so to speak...

Then I figured why not try making a crib "fitting" as the Pooh fabric is beoynd cute LOL

Not that I have ANY use for that or a place to keep it so I suppose I will tuck it in the cupboard for "one day"

Hugs

a crib "fitting" as the Pooh fabric is beoynd cute...Not that I have ANY use for that or a place to keep it
How about a cottge for a young married couple with new baby? And you're right, the Pooh fabric is 'way cute, and so's the carry cot it's in!

• 4 weeks later...