Keeping busy

I spent the last few days making up a Corona bathroom kit. I fell in love with this kit when Deb showed us how nice they can look. This was my first bathroom kit but you can be sure I'll be making lots more. The fern was sent to me by Melanie (Shakyshaky).

Dean, I just have to say, these kits are fabulous!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made patterns yesterday for the porch roofs and two interior walls for the Laurel rehab. Today we went to a friend's 54th birthday party over on Ocheesee Pond in Jackson County and I started a 'Gator afghan to work on in the car.

I'm not working on anything right now......I need some time right now.....had out patience surgery again so things are not going so so.....but I'm hoping how soon I will be making minis again.....

Peach you need a small kit to work on a little at a time...

Like furniture kits or something...

They help the healing process go faster

[

I'm going to get some small things to do....

Today DH cut my patterns from 1/8" plywood & I began assembly of the shell to check the fit. The new porch roof pieces have been primed on the shingle side and I have clamped the 1/4" square dowel sections to the front edges of the side & divider walls to reinforce them.

I copied this window 10F.jpg

onto transparency film to make bathroom windows for Poor Pitiful Pearl's bathroom. As soon as the acrylic sealer on them dries I'll highlight the lead lines with unthinned black acrylic paint.

Holly, That is a pretty picture. PPP will be so happy she may start singing to you. Now tell us how you copied the picture--freehand, tracing what?

Well, I bit the bullet and went searching thru my stash of wallpaper samples to redo the Magnolia's bedroom--found shelf paper I'm going to use for the bathroom--and using wallpaper border paste from Walmart have successfully papered the bedroom. The bath will have to wait until tomorrow, my hands are killing me this afternoon. Probably more from the work I've done this past week, cleaning and packing up old files than the papering of the walls. But my hands are definitely not up to pasting and cutting any more paper today.

Lesson learned--never ever use Mod Podge to glue paper to paper.

how you copied the picture--freehand, tracing what?
Good God Almighty, girlfriend! What extraordinary powers you attribute to me! No, I Googled "images: stained glass" and this was the third site that came up: http://www.metmuseum.org/explore/tiffany/listsgw.htm ; I clicked on the "Dogwood" window and the single image came up, I printed it out and measured it and it's the perfect width and only 1" shorter than I need, so I printed two of them on transparency film and sprayed them with my terribly expen$ive (NOT!) acrylic matte spray fixative, AKA Rave hairspray, and when they're dry I'll go over the heavy lead lines with black acrylic paint and fill in below with either blue magic marker or thin some blue acrylic paint with extender, cut them out to fit within the exterior window framed & glue them onto the frames.

I'm making the bedroom window a vertically-hung casement, so I'll use transparency film scrap to make that window.

I'm staining/ painting/ cutting trim, I have only the interior side door trim still to do and new bay windows & trim. I still don't know what color I want to paint this house, I'm thinking other than spackling over the staples I'm going to leave the exterior plain & painted.

Why couldn't the Storybook Cottage have been this much fun to rehab?

I finally designed a roof/4th floor for my georgian after some too-ing and fro-ing for the last couple of weeks. In the meantime, I have made ceilings, played (somemore) with furniture layouts, made some fireplaces and bought stuff (I am trying to quit). I made floor to ceiling inside window shutters that came out pretty well. I will take pictures soon of a variety of things. My georgian style has drifted a little on the interior, but still has a lot of the G look and feel. Oh, I have been practicing making doll heads from clay and FIMO - the most recent dont look like old hags, but they seem more to look like men. Oh well, I get the hang of it someday. Hope you all are having a good weekend. Alyce

I finished gluing together exterior door frames and the window trims, I outlined the leadlines on the "Dogwood" windows with black acrylic paint and extended the bottoms of the windows the extra 1" and colored in the lower part with magic marker. When they were all dry I went over them both with a coat of clear nail enamel to seal the colors.

I have been mulling over what color to paint the exterior. The shingles & all the exterior trim will be red mahogany (I don't know about the porch posts & railings yet, I keep thinking "Hunter Green") and DH suggested a brick red tint, so I poured a little of the brick red I'd used on the General Store into a cup, added 2/3 of a single-serving yogurt container of gloss white, and voila! I covered all the tabbed slots and staples with spackle & ASA it was dry I put on the first coat of paint. WOW. I want to go back and do the edges of the door & window openings with white after the second coat, and then I'll be ready to install the exterior trims.

If I weren't doing this as a child's toy I would make a screen door for the side. I will make solid doors, probably paneled. For the interior I'm thinking portieres for the bedroom & bathroom doorways. I'm still mulling about the kitchen, but using the brick red paint is giving me ideas...

I've nearly completed the Fairy Cottages and Secret Garden that I'm making for my 2 granddaughters - Shalean and Renee. Renee turns 7 on July 22nd.

I've got 2 baby dragons on order that will be housed in the Secret Garden (located between the 2 cottages).

I'm still decorating the treasure chests. I was going to fill it with sparkly jewellry pieces, but I might look for some jewellry that they can actually wear. When Shalean was younger she used to love a story I'd read to her about a birthday dragon that guarded birthstones. Perhaps I'll see if I can find some birthstone jewellry to put in their treasure chests.

-Susanne

Piddling along, here and there, with Pierce wall prep before I start putting walls up--

the going is slow due to recent travel and other interruptions, but here is something I am doing with the front wall:

This is Duchess, from Beatrix Potter's The Tale of the Pie and the Pattypan. She is bringing a veal and ham pie to surreptitiously swap with Ribby's pie, because she is afraid that Ribby's pie is going to be mouse...

I was going to fill it with sparkly jewellry pieces, but I might look for some jewellry that they can actually wear. When Shalean was younger she used to love a story I'd read to her about a birthday dragon that guarded birthstones. Perhaps I'll see if I can find some birthstone jewellry to put in their treasure chests.

-Susanne

Holly, thanks very much for providing a link to the Stained Glass windows. I have a sticker book that I found at a museum gift shop with many of Tiffany's windows - including the Dogwood - but they aren't transparent. :yikes: I will try printing out from the website as you have done. :whistle:

Susanne, those are wonderful ideas for your granddaughters! Sometimes the dollar stores have small teddy bears with birthstone necklaces for little girls.

I was going to fill it with sparkly jewellry pieces, but I might look for some jewellry that they can actually wear. When Shalean was younger she used to love a story I'd read to her about a birthday dragon that guarded birthstones. Perhaps I'll see if I can find some birthstone jewellry to put in their treasure chests.

-Susanne

Susanne, I don't know if you know any Avon salespeople, but they constantly have birthstone jewelry for pretty good prices, and they often have stuff that would be appropriate and pretty for younger girls. That is a really nice idea for the treasure chests, I'm sure they are going to be so pleased!

Thanks! I just thought it might be a nice kick for the 2 girls if the treasure chests had stuff that they could actually wear. Shalean is April and Renee is a July birthday girl. I'm going to have to check and see what their birthstones are. Hmmm, I guess it's just a coincidence that I love shopping.

I've bought them all the Barbie fairies I've been able to find .... so far. It's cute that they even come with dvd's.

-Susanne

I really enjoy this thread. It's a great place to get a quick update on what we're working on.

Holly - I've been admiring these dolls - they are fantastic. Will you show photos of the other dolls that you're working on?

Peachie - Gorgeous bed. Which house will this bed grace?

Susanna - I'll be watching for photos of your Gloucester - isn't it exciting when you reach the half way point in your building?

Rbytsdy - You're getting along wonderfully on your Pierce! I like the wallpaper you've chosen.

-Susanne

I've been busy on Ebay. lol Guess I'm waiting for new stuff to arrive at the moment. BH is all together, even though dollhouses are never actually finished. I bought a Haunted House kit for my 13 YRS OLD daughter, she wants one so bad. I'm trilled she appears to be developping a mini bug!