What's everyone working on?

...having these to do (and coming off just having completed one for another niece a week before I was told about these), has left no time for me to play with my stuff, and has really left me with a bad mini attitude. :(
This is why I don't work at selling and stopped doing commissions for dolls; I mini for my soul's health and creative expression, not to please someone else.

I agree with Karin; you need time for yourself too. I know I need time for my own ideas to stay creative in other areas. Do they want "just any old house" or one that has touches that are uniquely you? If the latter, I bet they will wait a little longer so you can take time for yourself.

I'm still in limbo with our efforts to move. Our house in WA has not yet sold, so we cannot yet buy the one in NE. I hate the feeling of limbo! I thought I was through moving in this lifetime! So all this unrest means I can't get into any serious mini-ing, but the little projects keep calling to me. Ideas are now crashing around my head regarding - a book :bookread: - The Borrowers - a cigar box - N-gauge train people ... :idea: Had to start sketching out some thoughts and plans!

This is why I don't work at selling and stopped doing commissions for dolls; I mini for my soul's health and creative expression, not to please someone else.

I'm with you Holly. And that's the thing, it would be a little different if these were actually being SOLD, but they are not... :(

I agree with Karin; you need time for yourself too. I know I need time for my own ideas to stay creative in other areas. Do they want "just any old house" or one that has touches that are uniquely you? If the latter, I bet they will wait a little longer so you can take time for yourself.

The house she wants is the Harrison, done just like the box. So not much creative there. I am doing stucco inside and out, so once I get it cleaned up and sanded some and wallpaper stripped, it will just be painting trim and applying the stucco.

I have the entire week off work next week, so that's a nice block of time to dive in and get it done.

And thanks everybody, when I get this done, hopefully I'll still be in the mood for minis, and will start getting some of my projects done.

I'm still in limbo with our efforts to move. Our house in WA has not yet sold, so we cannot yet buy the one in NE. I hate the feeling of limbo! I thought I was through moving in this lifetime! So all this unrest means I can't get into any serious mini-ing, but the little projects keep calling to me. Ideas are now crashing around my head regarding - a book :bookread: - The Borrowers - a cigar box - N-gauge train people ... :idea: Had to start sketching out some thoughts and plans!

:( I'm so sorry you're still in limbo CJ, how frustrating. I hope things start moving soon!

I'm still working on the foundation for my Queen Anne. Right now putting egg carton stone all around the base. I'm ready to grout my kitchen floor, but a bit intimidated, will see if I feel like I'm up to that challenge today. Bought paints for the exterior yesterday and am ready to get started on that. Still have so much to do on the foundation before the walls can go up, but the bricking/stone work is getting tedious. I think I'm ready for a change of pace for a bit.

After shoveling 10" of snow from driveway, deck, front and back walks.....I am now ready for a cup of tea doing some mini work on the kitchen. THere are four windows in the kitchen and a door opening that I have to cut the trim for. Since the dollhouse is 80 years old, and my grandfather did a pretty good job of keeping things even, but every window has to be measured separately and the trim cut specifically for that particular window. I don't want to see gaps in the trim work. Have the molding all done around the ceiling and baseboards. Installed the floor yesterday. It is finally getting there!

• Like 1

Worked on the Chantilly yesterday, painted the porch/trim another coat of burnt umber. tiled the bathroom floor, finished tile in the kitchen, cut all the baseboard molding to get it ready for stain, installed the front doors...hmm....i think that was all. I need to sand the edges on more GL siding today i'm using it for the ceilings in this house. after that i just need to stain all the wood trimming and hopefully get it installed this weekend! I still can't find the 4 missing stair treads and one piece of exterior window trim...guess i will have to make new pieces and get them stained. can't imagine what I did with them....

The interior is almost finished!!!! After i get the interior trim installed I need to polyurethane and then it will be done! Yay! loving how this house is turning out.

For the exterior i need to shingle, paint the widows walk trim, install the porch foundation and do a little bit of touch up on my stonework and then the whole house will be completed! Glad I decided to rebuild this house, i like how it turned out this time!

• Like 1

Still working on the big Tennyson. I've started making wallpaper for the half scale Rosedale, but still won't let myself remove pieces until....wait a minute....I wasn't going to start until the major work was done on the Tennyson, but isn't the major work done??? I mean, I'm doing trim....okay there's shingles and foundation, but....hmmmmm

Yesterday I moved the Tennyson to the spot in our living room where I had thought to set it up once it's finished, but it kind of overwhelmed the space, so I'm not sure where it will finally rest.

I'd rearrange the living room if I thought my darling hubby wouldn't object, but I already know the answer to that one. (Maybe that's one of the reasons I love dollhouses....I can rearrange the furniture all I want! :lol:

I was able to start working on my Borrowers book - The title is: "The Borrowers go to Washington". Can someone give me advice on a small magnet to keep the book (cigar box) closed when it's standing upright? No problem when it's flat, of course, but since there is some weight on the lid, with basement/floorboards at the bottom, it is showing signs of wanting to swing open. I have seen very small magnetic catches on some things, seems they were round, and I have no idea where to get them. Has anyone used magnets to keep minis in place?

• Like 1

I was able to start working on my Borrowers book - The title is: "The Borrowers go to Washington". Can someone give me advice on a small magnet to keep the book (cigar box) closed when it's standing upright? No problem when it's flat, of course, but since there is some weight on the lid, with basement/floorboards at the bottom, it is showing signs of wanting to swing open. I have seen very small magnetic catches on some things, seems they were round, and I have no idea where to get them. Has anyone used magnets to keep minis in place?

I found little magnet sets at Joann's in the beading section. They are sold as clasps.

I cleaned off the dining room table, put the sheet down to cover the surface, and brought the Harrison upstairs to start. Decided to take a few "before" pictures, and was very sad to realize that the person that built it had reversed some of the bay/tower panels, and all but one panel is upside down. Which means that the windows don't line up. :( This exact thing happened on the Nob Hill I rehabbed, and I had to cut new windows and fill in the holes. This house would require 8 windows modified. I'm going to look and try to see if I can remove those 4 panels. Ugh. And this is why I don't like to buy built houses!!

I've started removing wallpaper... Yay.

I cleaned off the dining room table, put the sheet down to cover the surface, and brought the Harrison upstairs to start. Decided to take a few "before" pictures, and was very sad to realize that the person that built it had reversed some of the bay/tower panels, and all but one panel is upside down. Which means that the windows don't line up. :(/> This exact thing happened on the Nob Hill I rehabbed, and I had to cut new windows and fill in the holes. This house would require 8 windows modified. I'm going to look and try to see if I can remove those 4 panels. Ugh. And this is why I don't like to buy built houses!!

I've started removing wallpaper... Yay.

Or you could do the interior decorator's trick and disguise it with window treatments! :) I'm trying to be lighthearted for you; I'd have probably kicked it to the curb by now or wrapped it in plastic and put it on a shelf in the garage!

Or you could do the interior decorator's trick and disguise it with window treatments! :) I'm trying to be lighthearted for you; I'd have probably kicked it to the curb by now or wrapped it in plastic and put it on a shelf in the garage!

:) Thanks!

If it were for me, I might would. But, it's for someone else. And it's pretty obvious from the front. :(

It still might go to the curb though...

I just don't know when I will learn to not buy built houses!!! And I tried really hard with this one, I already had the kit (bought for only $35!), and I resisted the 1st time I saw it on CL, but when it went down to $45, built and with some furniture, and on the SAME main street I live on, I caved. (Funniest thing is that the person I bought it from lives in the SAME neighborhood as the person whom I'm building it for!)

• Like 1

:)/> Thanks!

If it were for me, I might would. But, it's for someone else. And it's pretty obvious from the front. :(/>

It still might go to the curb though...

I just don't know when I will learn to not buy built houses!!! And I tried really hard with this one, I already had the kit (bought for only $35!), and I resisted the 1st time I saw it on CL, but when it went down to $45, built and with some furniture, and on the SAME main street I live on, I caved. (Funniest thing is that the person I bought it from lives in the SAME neighborhood as the person whom I'm building it for!)

Maybe they won't notice the windows? :)

I know..... trim! Lots and lots of trim! Or a Winchester Mystery house! Or my other crazy idea: an M.C.Escher house! Then the windows would be in the right places!!! Could work!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Sooooo happy the forum is back up! i have missed it! even if i don't always post, i come here everyday. Anyway, finished the interior trim on the Chantilly today...so basically except for polyurethaning the wood inside, it is complete!!!! I just need to so some exterior painting (widows walk) and then start the shingles!!! This house is getting close to complete!

• Like 2

I'm glad the forum is back up too.

I have been rebuilding the Victorian's foundation joists. With Chicago International fast approaching I have to get at least one of the houses ready to sell or at the very least, have more than one house there if by the off chance I actually sell one. Would hate to be stuck manning an empty table for a couple of days at a mini show. The work is taking much longer than I thought it would. I would have just followed the original schematics I drew up the first time, but my wife threw them away during one of her cleaning binges. I have the actual house lying on its back in my workshop and the old foundation joists / deck removed from the brick foundation blocks so I can use it as a guide and eventually dispose of it since it is more damaged than I originally thought.

• Like 1