What's everyone working on?

I'm going to pick up some of the pink stuff this weekend. I might have tried to sand not quite dry spackle a few times :lol: Judith, the Greenleaf stucco comes in powder form. The thing I really like about it is you can mix it with water or paint! I put some on my 2012 Spring Fling and was really happy with it.

Cool Sarah! My big wish for today is that I could find all of this stuff from one vendor so I wouldn't have to pay shipping to every Tom, d*** and Harry. I finally found some one step crackle finish on eBay, but the prices vary so much you don't know what to buy. I want a good size bottle, about 8 oz. cause I need to practice with it first. But the prices range from around $6.00 to as much as $15.00 for the same size/same brand. Is it me or do these vendors just not know what it's really worth?

It took me a while to get used to the Pepto Bismol ccolor!

The pepto pink tint in Disney putty is caused by the catalyst- MEKP (Methyl ethyl ketone peroxide). It burns through cloth and skin in about 60 seconds and spontaneously combusts when mixed in slightly higher concentrations than recommended. Needless to say, a HAZMAT disposal company picked up our trash each week when I worked at Themeworks, Inc.

Staircase banisters and balusters are moving along. I hope to have the landing finished in about 2 weeks.

So. that staircase you just saw flying across the room - Yeah, that was me... :(

OH! Sorry! Been there done that! Venting does help....unless you ended up breaking the object that you sent flying across the room, then you need to vent again!

Liam started walking last weekend, so I'm a bit more tied up than usual.

What? What do you mean he started walking? Well who in the heck gave him permission to do that? Boy oh boy, I tell ya you can't turn your back on these kids for a second. First they want to "turn over", then they're "crawling" and if you turn your head for a second they get into this "walking" thing.

I tell ya Jeremy this is how all that juvenile delinquency starts. Give 'em an inch and they take a mile. Well you know what you have to do don't you? You have to do a "Barney Fife" on him. That's right - Nip it! Nip it, nip it nip it in the bud. I know it sounds harsh but you need to employ some tough love here, it's for his own good. Oh he'll be mad at you at first, but he'll be better off in the end. I know it's hard, but if you don't stop this now the next thing you know he'll be into the really heavy stuff, like - talking. And you know what that means....as soon as they start talking - they ask for Nike's! or worse, the car. Yeah, nip it I say! Nip it in the bud!

• Like 1

Well, I came up with a solution for my roof gap. I was able to undo some of my gluing, and re-adjust it a bit. Then I used a dowel to cover the gaps on the inside, and then glopped on the spackle. It would have been better to use a smaller dowel, but that's all I had, and I sure didn't need another reason to stop. One side looks a little wonky, but it'll have to do.

So I finished spackling the attic, and painted it. I will have to touch up paint tomorrow when I have some sunlight. I also painted the wood "beams" in the attic. Tomorrow I can glue down the floor and the remaining trim, and the attic is done!

I am so ready to get this house done... Ugh!

Sounds like my Willow. That thing fought me tooth an nail, and I'm still not sure the roof wouldn't leak if it got rained on.

I needed that Judith! Liam turned a year old a couple of weeks ago and is already saying several words, walking, and figuring out how to climb out of his crib. He's a little Houdini.

I've been pulling my hair out for the past 4 hours. I have tried glue, epoxy, solder, welding, EVERYTHING to bond the wire parts for my balusters together, but nothing will hold. It's baffling. Whatever I try, it will only bond to one wire, but not the other. Now I know why there aren't any real metal wrought iron lattice work items in dh scale. Now I have over two dozen wire parts I can't use and no alternatives to fill the balusters.

I've been pulling my hair out for the past 4 hours. I have tried glue, epoxy, solder, welding, EVERYTHING to bond the wire parts for my balusters together, but nothing will hold. It's baffling. Whatever I try, it will only bond to one wire, but not the other. Now I know why there aren't any real metal wrought iron lattice work items in dh scale. Now I have over two dozen wire parts I can't use and no alternatives to fill the balusters.

Have you tried JB Weld? It's a 2-part epoxy compound found in auto supply stores used for cold welding. Hint: slightly roughen the surfaces to be joined.

Have you tried JB Weld? It's a 2-part epoxy compound found in auto supply stores used for cold welding. Hint: slightly roughen the surfaces to be joined.

I have some of that, but didn't want to use it for such small connection points. I'm going to try super glue (its supposed to be made for metal) and see if that works.

I have some of that, but didn't want to use it for such small connection points. I'm going to try super glue (its supposed to be made for metal) and see if that works.

If the superglue doesn't work, try the JB Weld. Use the tip of a toothpick to apply the tiniest drop. I used it to glue my goddaughter's flimsy eyeglasses back together. Not much of a contact area, but the JB Weld held beautifully. And the banisters won't get nearly as much abuse as a child can inflict on eyeglasses!

If the superglue doesn't work, try the JB Weld. Use the tip of a toothpick to apply the tiniest drop. I used it to glue my goddaughter's flimsy eyeglasses back together. Not much of a contact area, but the JB Weld held beautifully. And the banisters won't get nearly as much abuse as a child can inflict on eyeglasses!

Very true!

I used the super glue. It worked on about 75% of the parts. The other 25% just won't bond to anything, so I made replacements last night. The first floor staircase handrail is finished, the 2nd floor staircase is about half way built and I'll work on the landing handrail this afternoon. I stopped working on it around 5:30 this morning, so I'm taking a break this morning.

I have had some challenges with the staircase, but I think I have them mostly worked out. Everything should be glued in hopefully tonight. When that's done, I just need to design and make a front door and attach it and the door trim, and it's done! It would be awesome if I could get it done by tomorrow afternoon, and go ahead and take it to my mom's when we go for dinner, but I'm not counting on it. She is taking it to FL Saturday morning. Wouldn't that be weird, finishing something almost a whole week before the due date??

Ordered my fabric glue, crackle medium, some leather scraps for my book covers, wire mesh for my chicken coop, and some of that E-6000 adhesive that Holly told me about a while ago. Got it all from Hobby Lobby with free shipping so that was a plus. Also got the initial con-fab underway for my custom dollhouse from Mike. Very excited about that. Finally going to get to do a house with a flat roof and room sizes that I can really go crazy with!

• Like 1

I got the dirty wash on the chantilly and painted the stonework the other day. I lightly sanded the interior spackle finish yesterday? or was it friday...? Today i put two coats of acrylic paint on the interior walls and installed the porch posts/porch trim. Seems like it took me hours to work on this today and i don't feel like I accomplished much. The interior just needs some paint to age it, then i can start putting in the flooring :)! yay! feel like i'm really making progress on this house now! i need to get more burnt umber paint so that i can get all of the exterior trim etc painted and start shingling.

I wanted to take photos today. it's very dark and overcast so my house is really dark so no photos today....

and...i finished the flooring in the buttercup a couple of days ago!....i'm going to try to paint the flooring...my first attempt at doing this hope it turns out okay :)

Today Im just enjoying the forum and the gallery...and my new laptop (early Christmas present) I couldn't comment on anything from my nook or phone and my kids are always on our main pc...its so nice to b able to participate more and comment when I want to;)

• Like 2

Nearly all of the banister / handrail work is done, the 2nd floor staircase is installed, and if I don't encounter too many obstacles, the 2nd floor exterior walls will be up within the next couple of weeks.

I took a few photos of the banister work dry-fitted in the landing. I'll put one in the gallery in a few minutes.

Yesterday after work i finished the interior walls of the Chantilly. I installed the staircase and i put the wood flooring in the living room and got started on the bedroom. Hoping to finish the wood flooring today and get a start on the tile flooring.

Sounds like everybody is very busy! I've been offline for awhile, working at a 5-day show called A Victorian Country Christmas. All vendors have to wear Victorian clothes, the plain old fairground room is transformed by wooden storefronts ... lots of fun! Just before the show started I finished my micro "Happy Thanksgiving" roombox. The calendar on the wall is turned to November 2012, but I'm afraid I can't prove it!

post-4286-0-86535400-1354660208_thumb.jp

More pictures are in my Gallery

After weeks and many "help!" posts here, I decided to bag the plan of electrifying the spooky Fairfield. Whew.

I've still got two or three kits in the works that I can try to wire - but the frustration of trying to make lights and figure out wiring was sucking the joy out of the build.

Plus, I wanted to install the second story flooring, and put in the fireplaces.

With the electricity off my chest, I managed to install flooring in the back bedroom and bathroom. Still need to polyurathane the bathroom floor. I finished the kitchen sink kit I bought from Petite Properties; I made a faucet and knobs, and put in the drains - and I LOVE their kits! I also bought one for a kitchen wall cabinet, which I put together the day before. I will definitely be buying more of those kits.

The Christmas 1/4 scale house is almost done - just need to make a tiny lamp, assemble a still-to-come poinsettia kit from SDK, do the landscaping, and find a box to put the whole thing in. LOL, the box will be the hardest part! I would like to find a tiny Santa for the rooftop, but I've had no luck yet.

• Like 2

Laurie, I used HO-scale plaster culverts for some of the FFs' chimneybreaasts and made others from foamcore; I found two 1:24 chimneybreasts in a mini shop and used them in the two front rooms (the library and the parlor).