What's everyone working on?

Well, Holly, I did it! Very carefully easing out a laser-cut set of legs for the 1:144 chairs ... almost there ... just a liiiiiiitle more pressure ... and SNAP it's gone! :plane: Flew off into limbo! I was using the knife because when I first tried to push the pieces out, gently, one broke. But at least I could glue that one back together. Oh, well, we'll just have fewer guests for dinner!

A question regarding the speed shingles and bags of sjngles, do they cover the same area or do I need to recalculate so to speak? I. Am thinking about the half scale Tennyson that requires three bags of shingles and my MIL want sthe half scale diamond ones for it...

Hugs

Dealing with kids all day and working on the house all night is finally taking its toll. I'm exhausted, but I'm going to try to spend one more night plotting the wrought iron work onto graph paper and finish the bedroom's coffer ceiling. I'm going with a different pattern than the foyer. I added a 1/16" gap down the center of each rafter. Photos will be posted in the next couple of days.

Now you've done it, Brae!

I'm building back-lit crown molding for the Tudor's 2nd floor landing. I hop to start the wrought iron balusters either tonight or tomorrow.

I love learning the mechanics of things. How does the molding work? I'm guessing, regular crown not fitted all the way to the ceiling with LED lights dropped in behind?

I love learning the mechanics of things. How does the molding work? I'm guessing, regular crown not fitted all the way to the ceiling with LED lights dropped in behind?

That's exactly what it is. I add a 1/8" wide by 1/4" high board to the edge of the crown to conceal the LED lights. They're so intense that it would be difficult to look into the room without it.

Another thought about those bottles I think is needed... i have this idea of making casts/molds and then try colouring casting resin and pour, pour pour...

Might just go a little crazy over this, but it is fun to test out ideas sometimes.

Much needed mental distraction whilst not sleeping at night so to speak.

Hugs

Well, Holly, I did it! Very carefully easing out a laser-cut set of legs for the 1:144 chairs ... almost there ... just a liiiiiiitle more pressure ... and SNAP it's gone! :plane: Flew off into limbo! I was using the knife because when I first tried to push the pieces out, gently, one broke. But at least I could glue that one back together. Oh, well, we'll just have fewer guests for dinner!

Your post made me laugh, remembering that feeling when things go flying off into limbo land and you never stop wondering where it went :insane:

• Like 1

Working on kitchen curtains for my 80 year old house. There are four windows in the kitchen. Also working on the floor for in there. I bought a clear sheet with raised tiles, so - being a crazy person - I am cutting out a bazillion little squares of paper to go under the sheet. Then when I paint the floor a light gray color, it will show thru the spaces inbetween the squares and look like grout. I am using blue paper that I splattered with white paint and smeared it in places, this gives the squares the look of the old asbestos marble looking tiles. Did some research on what a 1930's kitchen would look like. It seems that blue, white and black were the "in" colors back then.

Hi guys,

I'm looking to "top off" my stash of supplies by picking up some of those "I've got to get that" items that I've avoided to this point either because of price, or need. I'm looking to get:

1. Spackle

2. Crackle medium

3. Stucco mix

4. Fabric glue

What brands do you reccommend, what other "finishes" have you experimented with, and what has given you the best results? Also, to this lpoint I've always used either a brush or a small foam roller to paint my houses. Has anyone used spray paint with good results? And where can I find small needlepoint or cross stitch kits? I haven't been able to find any online at Michael's or JoAnn's. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. :flowers:

Hi guys,

I'm looking to "top off" my stash of supplies by picking up some of those "I've got to get that" items that I've avoided to this point either because of price, or need. I'm looking to get:

1. Spackle

2. Crackle medium

3. Stucco mix

4. Fabric glue

What brands do you reccommend, what other "finishes" have you experimented with, and what has given you the best results? Also, to this lpoint I've always used either a brush or a small foam roller to paint my houses. Has anyone used spray paint with good results? And where can I find small needlepoint or cross stitch kits? I haven't been able to find any online at Michael's or JoAnn's. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. :flowers:

Judith, do read the thread about using white glue to achieve a crackle finish. I used aerosol to paint the exterior of my DC Cambridge; my second-ever build and still a learning experience, and with that one I learned that several light coats of spray are far superior to one or two heavy coats. I hunt down even-weave linen and use the charts from books and folders to stitch in mini.

I'm still behind schedule, but four of seven corner banisters were made last night, along with some of the wrought iron parts to solder later. Tonight I hope to solder all but one of the landing's LED lights to the foyer/landing circuit, but kids will determine if I get anything done this evening.

Liam started walking last weekend, so I'm a bit more tied up than usual.

I'm working on my spooky Fairfield. Right now, trying to figure out how to make light fixtures. I love the purchased ones, but don't have the budget for 15 -20 of them, plus the wiring and transformer. I got an idea yesterday, and as soon as I get past the medication side effects that have sidelined me for a bit, I'll be drilling the holes and cutting the channels for the lights.

Then I'll do the second floor flooring. The third floor will be fun - I've planned a way to access the secret room, and I've got some really awesome furniture for the entire house.

I'm also waiting for kitchen sink and cabinet kits, as well as two fireplaces. Unfortunately, the half scale furniture kit I put together made furniture a bit larger than I wanted, but I'll be able to use most of it one way or another.

I am totally loving half scale, and can hardly wait to open the Van Buren kit I got last week.

...The third floor will be fun - I've planned a way to access the secret room...
In the rightsideout FF I took out the tower wall nearest the third floor and used it to extend the side walls to join the roof cutout, and made it into a bath/ utility room at the end of the hall at the top of the stairs. In the insideout FF I removed the floor and attached the top of the Foucault's Pendulum to the center of the tower ceiling. I also cut out a matching section of the second floor so the Pendulum reaches to the floor of the former foyer.
  • Like 1

Not having any luck with the spackle choice, so far I've come across 5 different varieties all by the same manufacturer. And the crackle medium isn't much better. The only one I've found so far comes in three parts, base coat, top coat and something they're calling an enhanser. The first 2 parts are $15.11 each and the 3rd part is $5 and change. Somehow I don't think this is what folks are using on mini's, and it's a no-go on the stucco mix as well.

Not having any luck with the spackle choice, so far I've come across 5 different varieties all by the same manufacturer. And the crackle medium isn't much better. The only one I've found so far comes in three parts, base coat, top coat and something they're calling an enhanser. The first 2 parts are $15.11 each and the 3rd part is $5 and change. Somehow I don't think this is what folks are using on mini's, and it's a no-go on the stucco mix as well.

I really like Greenleaf's stucco; the price is not bad plus one jar goes a pretty long way

Judith, I usually use the Dap lightweight spackle that comes in the red & black tub, but I have also used the pink stuff that turns white when it dries. Do check out the thread about using Elmer's glue for crackle effects, I'll bet that's lots cheaper!

I didn't like the pink color changing joint compound at first, but mostly because it looks just like Disney putty, which is pretty acidic stuff. Now I really like it because it only takes a glance to see if its ready for sanding or not.

Judith, I usually use the Dap lightweight spackle that comes in the red & black tub, but I have also used the pink stuff that turns white when it dries. Do check out the thread about using Elmer's glue for crackle effects, I'll bet that's lots cheaper!

Thanks Jeremy, Sarah and Holly. Holly I don't want to use Elmer's glue, I want the real stuff, cause if I put glue on this house and it doesn't work - I'll be really ticked off. As for the spackle - they're all in the red and black tub cause all 5 are from DAP. I think the pink stuff sounds like me - I need stuff that tells me when it's ready, so I'll try that. Sarah Greenleaf stucco sounds good - I didn't even know they made stuff like that and I haven't been able to find it anywhere so I'll look there. Thanks.