What's everyone working on?

Kat I keep going to your profile thinking I will see the Ashley or the Pizza place! LOL I am so nosey!

I have come to a short halt on my build because I need my skinny sticks and some other things to go with my project. I spent a ton of time looking on line yesteday but I think I can make my own if I can find some fimo or clay. I doubt if our Walmart has either. I will have to put on my thinking cap and see what I can come up with to "make do". That's the name of the game when you live in the middle of no where!

Would the old flour-salt-water modeling clay work? Here's one recipe with hints. You can Google flour-salt dough to find others.

By the way, thought of you as our train rolled through New Mexico last week. :)

I somehow missed a couple of posts here Tuesday,so:

Kathie, Thanx for the glue cap tip-I have used them before as mini take-out cups and they are darling! I usually fill them up with white glue,let it harden and paint the surface glossy brown-for coffee or cola! :) But this time I was talking about wine glasses,like I believe Anna found. It may be that I can't even afford them,but I figured a couple here and there might not be too much. Will have to see,if she reveals her source. :)

Roxy and all the other nice members who have asked to see photos: As it stands,since a gallery is not a requirement of membership of the Greenleaf Forum,(I actually asked) I've decided I'm going to stop letting it embarrass me or stress me out until I get the walls of the Ashley together permanently. Then I will have something I am comfortable sharing with you all. I know there's tradition here,to post photos of every step of every thing we build. I honestly have not been able to post any photos yet because I don't have the tech knowledge and was counting on my son's help-and he will,asap. So,I will open an album-when I have the Ashley together. It's not a kit very many people build nowadays,as I unfortunately learned the hard way,so no one will learn anything of value from me this time,any way. By the time I build The Orchid,hopefully I will be more confident and will have the ability to post a step-by-step photo album on my own. Those of you who know how to post photos and do other tech stuff will just have to understand,Please! And from what I see in other 'threads'(right word?) it ain't always that easy for those who know how!! Thank you for 'listening',Kat

• Like 1

Posting the photos of builds is primarily to help others when they decide to build the same kit, as well as showing the problems when soliciting help. Eventually I hope to get the Fairfield photos burned onto a CD so I can post them into their album; but who knows when that will be?

I made clear beer steins for my pub by cutting IV tubing into sections, gluing one end into a filigree metal jewelry finding and gluing a jumpring onto the finding. I think Anna has a source of mini blown glass. If you have a nurse friend who can save you empty vaccine ampoules, the tops might work.

• Like 1

Kat, you never had to post and please don't worry about it! You do what's best for you and makes you feel happy and comfortable !!! We just like to see what everyone it working on! :)

I couldn't sleep last night so I was up working on my little 1/4 scale project. I seem to be obsessed with this one. Its pouring rain here in New Mexico yet again today so it looks like a good one to satisfy my obsession. :p

• Like 1

Kat, as others have said, there is no requirement to post images. I encourage you to take photos of your progress on the Ashley for your own reference in the future (you never know, someday someone else will be new to the forum and asking a question about the Ashley and you'll be the one helping :) )

I like to post images of my progress for a couple of reasons. I like to get feedback about the things I'm doing with the build. It's also very encouraging, and I think we keep each other motivated. Real life gets in the way all the time, but here you get support and encouragement, even if it's just commiserating :)

But honestly, I think the LAST thing any of us would want is for you or anyone else to feel pressured about posting photos. So have fun, 'cause that's the point. :D

• Like 1

:bear: That's right.....thanks Debora! I still have trouble figuring out how to get the photos up in my gallery! They changed this forum server since the last time I was a member in here. I agree, I wish I could find the photos I took of my early projects. I have a few but I wish I had taken more. Oh well......its the fun of creating that is the important part here!

• Like 1

My glasses arrived today, yay!!! I got them from an ebay store DollsHouseSuppliers, they are located in the UK though, and then there is the store in Canada http://www.thelittledollhousecompany.com/dollhouses-miniatures-furniture-kits/miniature-champagne-glass-2/ that I think Ravenswing suggested. Looks like the same in the pic.

Happy dance, especially after a horrid day at work....

Hugs

• Like 1

.... since a gallery is not a requirement of membership of the Greenleaf Forum,(I actually asked) I've decided I'm going to stop letting it embarrass me or stress me out until I get the walls of the Ashley together permanently. Then I will have something I am comfortable sharing with you all. ........ ,so no one will learn anything of value from me this time, any way. ..... Those of you who know how to post photos and do other tech stuff will just have to understand, Please!

Oh dear Kat. I apologize if I or anyone here has made you feel uncomfortable. That's not what the GL family is about. We are a bunch of mini-junkies and sometimes we plead for pictures just to satisfy that eye-candy need. We do it without thinking of what someone might be feeling behind the scenes. I, for one, never intended to make you feel pressured. As Debora wisely mentioned in a previous post, it is a good idea to document your steps for yourself. If you are ever to build that kit again or try to assist someone else, the pics can very valuable. If you done a special trick or technique that you want to use over again, believe me when I say this, it's SO easy to forget how you did something. Having a pic of it will help you remember how you did it. So take those kinds of shots for your own benefit.

As to how hard it is to upload, I've been thinking of making a tutorial with screen shots on using Paint (which comes on most all computers) and the resizing techniques within that and then the uploading process. The screen shots will help folks see what they are looking for in the tabs. If I can get real life to quit using up all my time, I hope to get to that and maybe it will help several that are having difficulties. Most of the difficulties I have had, have come from using my older computers without the newer operating systems. Unfortunately, that's something a lot of folks can't afford to change. It's sad when technological updates make it so folks can't participate. But it does happen that way. For folks that have older computers, one idea is that you can go to a public library with your pics on a disk or flash drive and upload your things from their computers. They usually have newer ones with faster internet connections and often they will help you.

Don't feel like it's you not being tech savy, but it really is just a lack of good info to assist folks. I will try to get a tutorial together but it might have to wait until after my SF is done. I'm struggling to find time to work on that right now and I need to prioritize. If you look in my albums, you'll notice there aren't a lot of new pics on my ongoing builds. Part of it is that I've not had the time to mini as much the last couple years and I've not had the time to spend fiddling with the pictures when I'd rather be using what little time I have doing the actual building instead.

And please Kat - don't stress - please. We love everyone's contributions and believe me, everyone has something to offer, no matter how new or seasoned or young or old, first build or 50th build. Hang in there.

Hugs - Selkie

• Like 1

I'm getting ready to re-do/repair my daughter's Victoria Jr. to be donated. After that, shine up her Princess Anne a bit, then start working on a Christmas house. I haven't decided what kit, though...

Tami, good luck with your Christmas house when you get to it....there are so many great kits that would make awesome Christmas houses, its very hard to decide which one to use. I just went through this with my Mom trying to pick out which to use for a Gingerbread house she wants me to build for her. Our main criteria was a decent porch (theyre so fun to decorate with swags of greenery,etc., and it had to be small enough that it could be stored in the off season with out taking up too much space. We first went with the Canterbury, which is rare and can be hard to find, but I found one on ebay and bought it...then, like we usually do, changed our minds and went with the Vineyard Cottage (she was buying so many accessories I knew we would run out of space in the Canterbury). Which I found at our hobby shop, then had to return it because it was missing a sheet. Then, just this morning re ordered it direct from Greenleaf in the select version. Soooo, Ive now bought three houses for this project, Im not sure this bodes well...hope the rest of the process goes much smoother than the beginning of the project has,lol.

As far as posting pics in the gallery, I like to post progress pictures every day if Im actively working on something because its like a journal for me, and if anyone got a little idea or inspiration from what Im doing I think that is the most awesome thing ever. Its like were all electric creativity currents bouncing back and forth from eachother...lol...ok maybe that's a little dramatic,but true...;-) I also like to share my sources for where I buy my items (in the photo descriptions), it helps the dollhouse economy if someone else knows where to purchase an item. And goodness knows the feedback and encouragement is invaluable

• Like 3

Thanx to everyone for understanding. I didn't want to make you feel uneasy either. I love this forum-I finally have a place where everyone knows what it's like to hold a tiny little object in your hand that is identical to something much larger in 'real life',and to absolutely fall in love with it.To view a lovely,stately old Victorian,or a brightly colored modern 2 story,or a rustic old fishing cabin, and to sigh and whisper "Isn't that incredible?!" To see a bit of this,a bob of that and say I can make so-so with this and so and so with that! All these things and more,you understand. I do want to share what I can do and I will one day,I promise.Thank you for understanding! ^_^

• Like 2

Besides being great if I did in fact help someone! one reason I post my progress in the gallery is so I don't lose stuff. I post them here and on facebook. I am not smart enough to back them up with a CD so if my computer crashes I know where I can find them lol. Kind of like a storage place ya know.

what are we working on? I am putting skinny stick flooring in the Garfield 2nd bedroom......and right now working on way back in there .......around the closets. So glad I haven't put my windows and doors in lol as that is my way of access back there. I could get addicted to these skinny stick floors. Not because they are easy (they aren't) but I just really like the looks of my first one. Now I suppose I will go overboard with them......lol

by the way the things I have learned on this forum have helped me SO much! skinny stick floors, EZ Cutter, Zap a Gap.....someone on here mentioned Zap a Gap and now It is a Have to Have in my craft room.! Now if I can just learn more about paper clay! .........I know there is info on here so will do a search soon!

• Like 2

I agree with you Cheryl on learning so much in here! What is Zap A gap? I use spackle. :p

it is like a super glue. for instance when I glue the skinny sticks down, I also put about three drops of the zap a gap......so it holds instantly while the white tacky glue is drying. I spose maybe it isn't much different than other super glues I don't know except that it doesn't clog up like super glue. I do have a couple seconds to re position. It was invaluable when putting the baseboard and crown molding on.......! I am not sure where I got my first bottle.....it was either Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Since I am so far from them I got my last bottle on ebay. came from NY but they shipped very fast. Let me know if you want a link to the seller. I think they say it helps fill gaps too.......maybe it is thicker than regular super glue? not sure. It is sold a lot with model car, railroad stuff

I really like it is all I know lol.......I didn't have to tape down my molding n baseboard as it would hold good after just a few seconds!

• Like 1

Thanks Holly.......I will google him! Is paperclay lighter than spackle or grout? That is what I would like....to make stones that don't weigh so much....maybe lol I heard it is spendy to use?

Can't help you there, I haven't used paperclay.

Cheryl, I think there's a website for Creative Paperclay, and if I remember correctly Rik Pierce's site is Frogmorton Studios.

Hey thanks I found him and there is a link there to CreativePaperclay website and says you can learn all about paperclay! Awesome! Going right to my bookmarks and favorite this. Thanks!

This is just a trial run for the pyramide of glasses

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=92484

Now to create a suitable champagne labero as well. I bought the bottle in mini shop when we were visiting Paris some years ago so it could very well work as a true Champagne bottle, right?!?

Hugs

Anna, your pyramid turned out great! and I'll be interested to see how you do the champagne part; I really like the wall treatment behing the table; but the rug totally blew me away in the "surprise" picture, and I left you a comment about it.

Kathie, you guessed right, darn the IPad and spelling...

Holly, the pattern is one from Anna-Carin's site;

http://www.btz.se/minis/DIY/48_aubusson1880.php originally made for smaller scales, but with cross stitches and different thread count it works great in 1:12 :wub:

If anyone wants a print out I can easly do that and send.

Hugs