What's everyone working on?

:clap: got this note in the mail today that there is a box awaiting me at the post office... Good thing I will be able to go past it on my way home tomorrow just bugging me I got home to late to fetch it today thoug.

Hugs

Came to the conclusion this morning that my spring fling is going to need it's own table to live on...

At least! One of the first thoughts I had when I saw the kit/s was how much landscaping could go with it/ them. Just three more weeks and y'all can start sharing pictures with us all!

I finished my ramshackle little house!

abandonedhouse01.jpg

abandonedhouse04.jpg

Now I'm working on a fairy house (it's part of my current "de-stash before you buy" theme)... sadly, I got stuck on the pumpkin house and don't feel like working on it... well, I didn't really get stuck, I'm dissatisfied with the pumpkin and am lacking motivation to move forward with it...

• Like 3

I made some progress on the White Rose today, but it feels like I didn't get anything done. It's all prep. Measure and cut to fit ceiling papers. Cut to fit bead board for in the kitchen. Prep trim for around the bay window in the parlor. I didn't get to glue anything. :(

Looking at the house I see things I probably should have done differently. It's amazing to me how time away working on the Fling makes the mistakes I've made suddenly stand out to me. I really am in love with this little house; maybe that's why I wasn't noticing little things that are now going to cause me some real headaches. At least it's all fixable, even though I've painted myself into a corner, so to speak. So I had to stare at it a lot today to get the steps planned out in the right order.

On the bright side, I scored on some trim on eBay today that I wanted for this house! Everything I want to do for the exterior is coming together so far. :)

HH, oh how I wish I had a laser cutter!!! The bed and the dining room chairs are laser cut (from SDK Miniatures), everything else is scratch built from scale lumber (from Northeastern Scale Lumber). The lampshades are folded paper (tweezers needed for the folding).

I like it Casey!!! The staircase is really neato! ( lol)

I can't tell you how many times I think I am "done" with something only to find out I "done it wrong!!!!!

Are you a perfectionist??? Do you ever go back and really scrutinize your work, you see something that will bug you until you fix it, and then........you "fix" it only to mess it up big time???? I just can't let it go so I go back trying to improve things that should have been left alone!!! grrrrrrrrrrr!

I forgot to mention what I was working on! :p
I am working on my 7th building in my quarter scale village. After 6 houses before this one is not going very well. I was tempted to scrap it and start over but after all the time I put in on it I decided to try and salvage a bad idea. :bangin:

• Like 1

You have got that right Holly! Sheesh! I am way too picky about it!
I am trying to make some really teeny wreaths to decorate the buildings for Christmas....I wish my hands would cooperate!
I decided to stick a roof on the building and see how it looks......not as bad as I thought! :)

Roxy, not all houses are created equal. There are bound to be some aging, shabby or ill-constructed houses in a village. It's all part of the fabric of life. Let it be what it is. :)

I like it Casey!!! The staircase is really neato! ( lol)

I can't tell you how many times I think I am "done" with something only to find out I "done it wrong!!!!!

Are you a perfectionist??? Do you ever go back and really scrutinize your work, you see something that will bug you until you fix it, and then........you "fix" it only to mess it up big time???? I just can't let it go so I go back trying to improve things that should have been left alone!!! grrrrrrrrrrr!

Oh Roxxie I really wish you hadn't said that. My DC Farmhouse sits on top of my rolltop desk where I work at my computer. So every time I sit down I get to look up into the house at the ceilings on the first floor. Not good. I already know that I need to fix an electrical connection in the kitchen/dining area, and two off/on switch plates. But the thing that bugs me most are the two splines that hold together the 3 pieces of the second floor.

I should have sanded them down flush so the ceiling of the first floor would be level but I didn't think of it at the time (in my defense, it was my second house and my first 1" scale and I knew nothing) - I was too busy concentrating on not letting the size of this thing overwhelm me, so I stuck to the plans and did only what they said. Now every time I look up I see this glaring mistake that needs to be corrected. But I refuse to touch it, get involved with it, or even look at it too much - I already made that mistake with the Fairfield.

I took it apart, stripped and sanded it down and now I don't have the time to put it back together. So I don't care how much that house calls to me - as far as it's concerned I'm deaf, dumb and blind. I hear nothing! Nothing! :nonono:

• Like 1

And as I have posted elsewhere a time or three, before you let the quest for perfection bring you to a total standstill, take a close look at the real world out there, bumps and goofs and all, take a deep breath and relax! People are snowed by how realistic something looks, not how perfect.

• Like 1

And as I have posted elsewhere a time or three, before you let the quest for perfection bring you to a total standstill, take a close look at the real world out there, bumps and goofs and all, take a deep breath and relax! People are snowed by how realistic something looks, not how perfect.

So very true! Realism bowls me over every time! :D

This weekend I worked on some Cassidy Creations kits. I stained the pieces of the firescreen kit but need to finish a cross stitch piece to go with it before I can put it together. I assembled and painted the Sheraton settee, which I plan to use in the kitchen bay window in my rowhouse. I painted it green and then off white with the plan to distress it, but this picture shows it before any distressing has happened. I'll also be adding cushions of some sort.

post-7-0-98191100-1381716309_thumb.jpg

I also worked on a Cassidy Creations washstand that I bought assembled off eBay a few months ago. It wasn't clear from the pictures that the washstand was in pretty bad shape... stained a yellow color and then painted over with some sort of shiny varnish (maybe polyurethane?) that really put a spotlight on how poorly (if at all) the wood had been sanded. All the surfaces were very rough, the hardware had rusted with black streaks in the wood around them, and the door didn't shut properly. I figured I might as well mess around with it, it couldn't get any worse!

I failed to take a picture before I started tearing it apart (I might have one saved from when it first showed up in the mail, haven't looked yet). But here's one after I took the drawers and door out and removed the hardware. This is after I did some sanding - and it's still shiny!

post-7-0-12857000-1381716317_thumb.jpg

I painted it, and then after one coat started sanding thinking I would apply a second coat, but decided I liked the distressed look. The piece is still kind of rough and battered and I don't think I could do much better than this, so making it shabby chic is probably the best thing for it. The knobs I added are leftover from the SDK Miniatures kitchen kit (for which I used different hardware), painted matte black. I haven't decided yet if I like them or if they should be a bit lighter. I glued in the door rather than trying to hinge it again.

post-7-0-19602100-1381716315_thumb.jpg

I probably won't use this piece in my rowhouse, but will hold onto it for the front opening Victorian (whenever I get around to building it!), which I'm thinking of making a rundown 1940s farmhouse.