What's everyone working on?

cut bricks from egg carton type cardboard spray painted them and installed them to my foundation. Im very happy with it so far but now I need to grout it and Im kind of afraid that I may mess it up during this step.

Is the paint you sprayed it with waterproof? You may want to seal the bricks to protect them from the moisture before you start the grouting.

• Like 1

Got everything sanded down and ready to dry fit the Pierce, but have been sidetracked by some major hutch bashing, what fun! So far, in various stages, I've created a Tv, a "marble " topped stand, 2 kitchen cabinets, a large craft cupboard, a small cabinet for the bathroom, a pot rack, a shelf, and a window cornice . Plus I have pieces left over. :)

My MIL is visiting tonight. She doesn't understand my minis, and is always saying things about selling them. Tonight she spent at least 5 minutes looking at them with me, and was saying nice things, and just LOVED the lights in the Beacon Hill! :) Yay!

so

Awe. that is nice.

Ha was wondering if I should start a topic but then realised maybe here is good place.

I am soooo frustrated trying to trim the area and install crown molding in the 2nd floor stairwell of my Garfield. It looks like it wouldn't be that bad......I mean there is the removable bay and I haven't installed the double doors yet.......

.but when I get both hands in or even one......it is in the way of my face ya know !! ........The Garfield is a beautiful house with all its nooks and crannies but will sure be glad when this is done! This is something you couldn't do before hand either, not that I was smart enough to do that lol......

well that's my gripe for the day. We need a long term Complaint Thread don't ya think? lol.

thanks for letting me let off steam!

Cheryl

Well, I told myself that I was done shopping for the month but I found a RGT General Store dollhouse on eBay and although I've already used this kit once before I just couldn't let this one get by me. The starting bid was only $19.99 and shipping was $10.00. I didn't really need it, but I knew if I let it go I'd be kicking myself later - after all one can olways use another dollhouse - so I bid on it and managed to get it for only $26.00 - even with the shipping no matter how you look at it that's a steal. I'm a happy camper.

• Like 2

Judith I made the RGT General Store into a mini dollhouse store! See my blog....its one of the three houses I kept when I moved last year.

That is such a deal!!!

I am working on my little 1/4 scale Orchid. I think that its my favorite so far. How can something that tiny be anything but adorable.

• Like 1

I ordered another D.C. Ashley kit,even though I haven't finished my current one,and have another Ashley and an Orchid in the boxes. I get the need now,I think,to have that 'just one more' waiting. I can't afford expensive houses or kits,so this purchase made me happy. I want to stop buying now until I get to The Orchid,as I still want an Arthur some day.... :)

• Like 2

I know Holly,I keep looking at all the amazing versions out there. It's close to what I'd want my RL house exterior to be. Alas,it will have to wait-I am 3 kits away from it,if I use my head-haha My Orchid kit has not even told me what it wants yet,so maybe I'll get it out of the box again and see what it 'says'. Ashley #2 screams at me,every time I go near it,to let it out of the box-I have it completely built in my head already. But,could I abandon my first Ashley,my 1st dollhouse build....?

Grandson's wedding was beautiful. Now back to miniatures. Keeping Fairfield packed up, have to bring out Halloween. I have the Nightmare before Christmas ceramic scene and I add to it

with scary minis.Then, comes a small area of time before my Christmas comes out. Poor Fairfield will have to wait again. I made what I call a "staging" room out of foamcore, I use it to

place a piece of furniture in it to see what to add to it.( like a Michael's hutch, then all the possibilities to add interest) This works for me. Which right now holds a kitchen table

to which I started to make cake holders from pushpins. Yes, I have many things going at a time. :bounce:

Gail :bear:

Making and remaking new parts for the orchid. Trying to reinforce the porch I don't like just thin card stock railings and posts so time to get out the skinny sticks and go to it!

Kat, I have to go look at what an Ashley looks like!!! LOL Maybe I will get one for myself! :)

Yes,Roxy,it's really cute,and apparently easier to bash than I originally thought. I can't do links yet,but I will find some of the more unusual ones I've seen on the net and get my son to help me post them when he's back home. The builders/owners don't always name it as The Ashley,so I just run across them sometimes-I've found a "Happy" Halloween house,and a Witch's shoppe-2 of the more fun builds,as well as a Tole painted Ashley on Flickr that is lovely! It is a very small house,but if you take that in to account,it can be very versatile-like the Buttercup and some of the other smallest houses. The forum's Tracy Topps did a couple of Ashleys and they are gorgeous! My pizza place is going to be fun to see,I think,when it's done-I just have gotten into a rut right now....does anyone else get that way in the middle of a house build? I wanna finish it,but just seem to be stuck in place.....Off to work,great day everyone!

• Like 2

....does anyone else get that way in the middle of a house build? I wanna finish it,but just seem to be stuck in place.....

Yes, I think we all get there at some point. This is when Holly's "listen to the house" becomes so important. When I was building Swift Cottage I had one vision in my head but the house wanted something entirely different. The house won! :)

• Like 2

I was finally feeling good enough to get off the lounge chair and head downstairs to the workroom last nite. :) Still have some pain from the inflammed bowel, but at least now I can mini!

Posted some pics of the kitchen in the Cape House I finished while listening to the sounds of our town's fair parade winding its way thru downtown. No fair food for us this year - neither of us are up to walking that much! Oh well, that gives me more time to work on getting this Cape House done so I can start on the next house!

• Like 1

Fair food AND an inflamed bowel? NOT!

We were going to try for a beach day today, but the sun's playing hide & seek with ugly-looking clouds in our neighborhood, so hoping for tomorrow. I'm on my last row of assembling a 1:1 afghan.

• Like 1

Did you say beach??? Are you close??? I have lots of sand but no water :rofl: !

Ok not that funny but I miss the ocean. I never thought that I would end up out in the desert.......an old beach comber like myself! I did find some seashell fossils in a rock here does that count?

I better go :suck:

• Like 1

Roxy, if it's any consolation, I think your part of the world was the western side of a vast inland sea that our northern AL mountains were also once part of. We;re about 20 miles from some of the most beautiful Gulf beaches there are.

I just started the 3rd repair of the Tudor's roof framing. After a bad teenage driver and my oldest son took turns damaging it, my wife left my workshop unlocked so my youngest son could have a whack at it too.

I would have started sooner (DH&MS want photos for the 2nd article by this weekend) but the kids have reached a point where they need even more supervision. I should have had the house completed by now, but this year has been full of unwanted drama.

Try to be patient and hang in there,Jeremy! Not sure of your children's ages,but I'm sure you know,in a fraction of a second,they will be grown and gone. Meanwhile,Mom needs to be more careful...I say this respectfully for your sake,but not to insult her! Does she not get in to your builds with you? Okay,too nosey,sorry!

It's ok, Kat. My kids are 5, 4 and almost 2 years old. My wife doesn't get enough sleep (she works nights and deals with the kids all day) so she forgets to lock the door to my workshop sometimes. She isn't involved with my builds at all and has been critical about my "hobby" at times. Oddly enough, she built a mini of the Globe Theater when she was in high school, so she should have a knack for it. She is showing interest in getting involved with building a house for our daughter, so I may find the mini bug in her yet.

• Like 1

Oh,yeah,when that little girl gets the gleam in her eye that they all get when Mommy does something special for just them-it just may kick start Mom on a new hobby! And yeah,she needs her sleep-2 full time jobs.You sound like a hands-on Daddy,and that is what we really need more of in this world!Cheers to you,J.! :beer: (To both of you,for those precious babies being here!)