What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Yup, Anna- that is what we were doing on Sunday afternoon! Laundry.  LOL   And back at work on Monday- spent most of the day trying to catch up from last week!  Maybe I can actually get to this week's work today!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jbnmini said:

Yup, Anna- that is what we were doing on Sunday afternoon! Laundry.  LOL   And back at work on Monday- spent most of the day trying to catch up from last week!  Maybe I can actually get to this week's work today!

Goal is two loads a day... We do not have a Dryer so hang-dry so that is what the lines will hold so to speak. So hopefully it will be folding/ironins and putting away time over the weekend. Come Saturday me and MIL will have a mini-date/day as we will be cooking the traditional goose dinner. A bit late but as we were away last week we will still enjoy it this coming weekend instead though.

hugs and enjoy the process too!

Okay, so we were going to take Aunt Louise (86) to Dooky Chase's Restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner. But last night cousin Dooky died at age 88. He was chef Leah Chases's husband. Going to dinner there would feel more like a wake than a holiday celebration, so we cancelled. Aunt Louise's church gave her a 14-lb turkey, so she said she'd cook it. I didn't like the idea of her having to roast the turkey as well as make the traditional pot of gumbo, so I volunteered to roast the bird for her. Gumbo takes an effort, so I also offered to whip up  some sides. After a flying trip to the store to make some groceries early this morning, there are casseroles of oyster dressing, sweet potatoes with marshmallow topping and stuffed mirlitons finished, and boy, does the house smell good! Still have to make mashed potatoes with sour cream and chives. Have green beans and a pumpkin pie in the freezer and a package of crescent rolls yet to deal with today. Tomorrow I'll roast the turkey, reheat today's efforts, and we'll cart it all over to Aunt Louise's house (which, by the way, is the house in which Lloyd was born 81-1/2 years ago).

Before I go into round two, I think I'll take a little nap.

I recently learned about spatchcocking ... <and I'm wondering what the robot censor is going to do with that word. :D> It's a method of removing the bird's spine and cracking a few bones to flatten it out, thus creating more surface area for more even cooking -- no dried out white meat. It bakes at a high heat. See the recipe here. The 14-pounder ought to be done in a half hour or so. I'll carve it before we bring it to Aunt Louise's house, so she won't have to know how I abused the poor bird.

Edit: I guess the censor was too baffled to react! :roflmao:  

• Like 1

I baked the broiler in the clay pot and made a Brussels sprouts recipe from a recent Publix ad and Romanian carrots from Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant cookbook and the aforementioned acorn squash soup.  I added dried cranberries to lemon cake mix and made a dozen gonzo cupcakes and frosted them with cream cheese frosting, so one of those when there is room once more.  With  DS#3 arriving Monday night I don't expect any of it to last long

I just sat down after having Thanksgiving at my house for 32.  Yes, 32.  My hubby and myself, 3 kids and their spouses, 5 grandchildren, 5 of my brother and family, 11 of my sister in law and family.  20 adults, 12 kids.  The noise level was beyond description.  We only see my sister n laws family this one time each year.

Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and apples, ham, pineapple stuffing, veggies italian wedding soup and lasagne.  

I am so tired, but this is the 26th year I have done this, the family just keeps getting bigger.  Wouldn't have it any other way.  My husband told everyone they weren't allowed to have any more kids. Lol

• Like 1

Got that big blue rosette finished off:

large.IMG_3824.jpg.76967ac4eec9d9ca9448d

And a big green one done:

large.IMG_3823.jpg.ced6a09fce54754991162

Much easier to put the final outer ring on before it's attached to any other rosettes! :p Making a number of little ones, to start figuring out where they should go around the big ones, color-wise:

large.IMG_3822.jpg.2d92827d106b1b01fe3c5

These little ones make up quickly; it's that star border that goes next, that takes awhile. Depending on where each ends up sitting, is how much star border it gets.

• Like 1

Millefiori are always so pretty, and yours are turning out gorgeous. 

This year's Thanksgiving powwow at the Poarch band of Creek Indians' reservation was the best yet!  We came home a more scenic route than usual and, thanks to our current drought, the fall colors are spectacular!

After close to eight months I have finally gotten the twelfth square joined up with the other 11 and I've begun to crochet the border for the tablecloth I've been picking at.

It's silly to make a post saying I'm not doing anything, but that's what I'm doing. I just finished telling Lisa that it's pitch black outside and it's only 5pm. I feel like it's 10 at night and I can't think of anything I want to do. There are lots of things I can do, I just don't feel like doing any of them. And it's way too early for bed. The only thing even mildly interesting to me right now is eating, and I'm still full from lunch!

Gah - I think I'm going to go listen to music for a little while. That might lift my spirits a little. See y'all later!

11 minutes ago, DaisyV said:

KathieB,

What's a "mirliton"?  This Pennsy gal needs to know!

It's a veggie:  https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mirliton&qpvt=mirliton&qpvt=mirliton&qpvt=mirliton&FORM=IGRE

We like to stuff (and eat) eggplants here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaisyV said:

KathieB,

What's a "mirliton"?  This Pennsy gal needs to know!

Holly has a good link to the images. The first one in the top row is of stuffed mirlitons. Another name for them is chayote squash. I saw chayote squash in grocery stores in Illinois and Virginia when I lived there but viewed them as an exotic, never knew what to do with them. Down here they are a staple. No big family gathering meal is complete without somebody bringing a big pan of stuffed mirlitons. Our local grocery was selling them 3/$1 -- so $2 worth makes 12 servings. They need to be boiled to soften them up so the pulp can be scooped out. Cook a pound of shrimp and a half pound of minced smoked ham to the mirliton pulp, add a cup of bread crumbs to tighten it up, stuff it back into the empty shells, bake to set the filling and mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... good eating. Lloyd and I ate two halves each for supper Wednesday night and we took 8 to the Thanksgiving dinner. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping to finish the last of the Christmas shopping today. I put in a marathon day earlier this week, but I wore the wrong shoes so I had to stop before I finished. The lines were not really too bad, but it is still early which is why I want to be done!

I really don't have any Christmas shopping to do, but I tagged along with our 86-year-old cousin at the Navy Exchange this morning as we logged a half mile of aisle prowling according to my pedometer. I bought a little teddy bear in a Marine uniform for my grand niece and Gloria ticked off several items on her shopping list. Lloyd is off to the UPS Store to ship out some of his drawings and paintings to various recipients. Me, I'm going to put my feet up for a while!

This week super busy at work. Everyone needs their hair done for Christmas. Love being busy . Blessed to have a great clientele. 

As for my mini world....still making furniture from Greenleaf kits. Impressed how nice they look considering they cheap. Will post pics on my album soon. 

Craft bazaar season is over, so all that "junk" has to be put away.  Christmas is right around the corner, so things were hauled down from the attic and the decorating is finished. I kept it real simple this year - left the Christmas Village in the attic, and put up only creches and angels. Wish I could insert pictures in here, but can't seem to do that anymore. (and don't want to make a gallery album of it).

Next on the agenda is to FINISH my granddaughter's dollhouse and get that shipped off to her. Got other Christmas packages to mail on Monday. Sales are slowly building on my website so it has been fun filling those orders and mailing things out.  This afternoon my mother got the urge to start going through some of her stuff and weeding out the unwanted. We started with a bookcase - some went to the trash - some went into a bag to give away - and some TREASURES were discovered in old albums, and post cards written to my grandfather around 1910, when he was 19 years old!  I will scan all those and get them sent out to family members. 

Needed to slow down a bit so I popped in to see my Greenleaf family! :cloud9:

• Like 1