What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

14 hours ago, mikeuk said:

There used to be a 'status update' but it's gone so here seems a good place to say I may not be around for a little while......right now I'm in hospital wired up to a heart machine..............and even my iPad is about to expire!............hopefully I get looked at later today and hopefully I won't have to cancel my place in the 'London Marathon'...........we will see.......love to all.

Mike

Fingers and toes crossed from over here too Mike! 

HUGS

Mike

My eyes are doing good so I trust you will be up and about soon!!  I am holding you to our " I will get better if you do".  Seriously my thoughts and prayers are with you.  Please take it easy, do what docs say, and get back to miniatures soon.  

Mike, I can only echo the replies of all, my thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.  You're family and we care so very much for you.  Hurry back because we need you to keep us on the straight and narrow.

Hi All and thanks so much for the thoughts.......they must have helped because I got kicked out last night only a few hours after the procedure!.......two more stents and I'm getting closer to 'Iron Man' every visit!............I love the literature you always get after your stay in hospital.............In the 'Do's and Dont's After Your Operation' it says you can have intimate relations almost straight away!...........If other guys knew this there would be a mile long queue outside every operating theatre!.......................Rosemary just gave me a funny look and an odd sort of smile when I showed it to her!

On a more serious note though I just have to say thanks for the incredible work everyone in our hospitals does on a daily basis.....I wouldn't have their job in a million years....just glad they all think differently!

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, mikeuk said:

....I just have to say thanks for the incredible work everyone in our hospitals does on a daily basis...

As  former hospital nurse, your return home so quickly is the reason we do it.  Sending people home and healthier than when they came in is, IMO, the reason for hospitals.

2 hours ago, mikeuk said:

On a more serious note though I just have to say thanks for the incredible work everyone in our hospitals does on a daily basis.....I wouldn't have their job in a million years....just glad they all think differently!

Thanks again!

I am so thrilled that you are home.  Yes hospitals, nurses and doctors are awesome!  My mother was a nurse in the Intensive care Unit and took care of all the heart patients as well as assisting the doctors in open heart surgeries (the doctors always requested her!!!).  I couldnt do their jobs.

But you are home safe and sound.  That is a good thing!

SO happy read that you were allowed home so quickly Mike, got to love your sense of humour too ;) had me giggling while Reading!

And I can also only echo (sp?) the admiration of the nurses and hospital staffs fantastic work on an everyday basis!

HUGS

OMG Mike! Every time my attention wanders from this thread, you go do something else to get me worried about you! I'm glad you're home and hopefully behaving yourself (about those intimate relations, Imma let that lay right where it fell and not say anything more).

Seriously, though, you're right, the nurses are something else. I may be the only person in the world who doesn't mind staying at a hospital. To me, it's a very comforting place to be, like cemeteries (so I'm a little strange, so what?). I am always amazed at what the nurses do to make a person feel comfortable. I apologize like crazy for causing them trouble and they're the nicest bunch of people on earth. By the way, next time see if they will tell you their favorite ghost stories. I'm reading a thread on a nursing forum right now about the weird things that have happened in hospitals and let me tell you, that's not something you want to read before you go to bed at night!

Took the day off work. I really don't do vacations. I take days off here and there.

Spent most of today working on dollhouse. 9:30 am to 2:pm then 5pm to 8pm.  almost 8 hours! ugh!! lol Lots done tho and kept most of my sanity. Imagine if  the san fran  roof and tower don't look right, I will be like this---->  :frusty:

• Like 1

Glad you got an early parole, Mike!

Ironically, I was at the cardiologist on Tuesday.  I got put on a portable heart monitor on Thursday.  Riding my bike through the tropical storm while trying to keep the darn thing dry was a challenge unto itself.  I doubt it will show anything, but I'm stuck with it for another 12 days.  Thinking along the same lines as your "Do's and Don'ts", Mike, I told my DW that anything we might do will probably make for some interesting patterns on it. :p   Then again, my resting heart rate is in the low 100's, so it might not show up at all.

I'm more bothered by my red eye than the ticker.  I have blown dozens of blood vessels in my eyes, so now they're red.  It's downright creepy looking.  Between the eyes and the monitor, I had my kids thinking I was a robot replacement of their old man.

I wish I could say I felt the same, Kelly, but staying in a hospital is an awful experience.  Between not feeling well and all the interruptions, I can rarely get any sleep, and when I do, somebody inevitably wakes me up a few minutes later.  The lack of privacy is another problem.  I don't know who invented the hospital gown, but it isn't a garment, it's a tablecloth with sleeves.  It's a serious mooning hazard.  I have also observed that not all nurses have found their calling.  Some clearly hate their jobs and others can be downright rude.

I missed work today.  My bike wouldn't start.  Not surprising.  My first bike was bought second hand, and it started giving me problems within days.  That's why my previous two bikes were bought new.  The bike I bought last month is apparently no different.  I think the starter is bad and I drained the battery trying to get it to turn over.  Now the battery won't charge.  Like the first bike, I'm going to have to spend a small fortune to keep it running until I can afford to replace it.

I'm hoping you feel better, Jeremy. I have to say, nothing gets a person back up to speed than doing something he or she loves doing, so I'm going to go against the crowd here and say if it's riding your bike that makes you feel better, go for it.

Yeah, I was happy to go home from the hospital, but overall: I had cable TV - I don't have TV at home. I was able to order what I wanted (within a limited range) for breakfast, lunch, and dinner - and somebody cooked it, too! And even did the dishes! People who asked how I felt at all hours of the day (and at night, too). And had I known more, a chance to ghost hunt. Of course, I had a doctor coming in at 5am every morning to wake me up and ask how I felt. I asked him once if he really wanted to know.  And then there was the parade of medical students who wanted to see a miracle (me!). I thought they were in awe of my recovery, but it turns out they were just accompanying the doctor on his rounds and I was just a teaching tool. *sigh*

I have to say, I did mention something about how little sleep I was getting at night and an ICU nurse admitted to me that despite what people think, the hospital is really not a place for sleep and rest. I took care of that problem by staying up at night (poking my head out the door and causing the night nurse to put up the rails and an alarm on my bed in case I got up again) and sleeping through the day.

• Like 1

Kelly,  The ICU nurses didn't talk to me very much.  I don't know if they're used to comatose patients or if it was something else.  After what they saw, I sure couldn't look any of them in the eye anyway.. :eek:  I was hooked to so many different things that even if I didn't have a bunch of broken bones, I couldn't get out of bed if I wanted to.  I actually did want to.  That air mattress constantly shifted and re-inflated different  parts all day and night.

This morning the charger didn't make any difference overnight, so I pulled the battery out of the bike.  It was bulging so badly, I was wondering if it would pop.  I got a replacement to put on after work, but the bike has a mind of it's own.  With the key out, the main circuit open and the kickstand down (all things that will stop the bike), every time I tried to install the positive connection, it would spark and the bike would try to start.   Eventually Frankenstein stopped trying to come to life, but only after shocking the bejeebers out of me twice.  Now my little cardiac monitor beeps every couple of minutes or no reason. 

As far as we are from Hermine's path, we still got some gully-washer rains. High-water photos of some parts of the city that don't usually flood were all over the news. We got a bit of street flooding that was easily handled by the storm sewers and [knocking wood] our leaky roof/ineffective gutter pipe problems seem to have been fixed. Hopefully there won't be any more mushrooms growing on the bricks by our back door. 

The rain this morning drove me to searching for dead people. There is so much information on line these days that I'm going back to folks I researched years ago and filling in a lot of blanks. The rain seems to have let up for a bit. Time to do some grocery shopping. The cupboards are nearly bare!

Yesterday I found out that the little Maine Victorian Willowbrook Village museum will close up for good on October 10 due to lack of funds to continue, so today DH and I went to see it for the last time. I'd been there a few times with our son but DH had never gone. It's a nice little place, but it's out of the way and people just don't know about it. The unexpected highlight of the afternoon was a ride on their antique carousel. It was built in 1896 and instead of going up and down the horses rock back and forth as the carousel spins at a pretty fast clip. The museum worker pointed out that these old time carousels were designed for adults, not children. When the ride ended she also told us that they run it at slow speed. Regular speed is 4x faster than we were going. We were all amazed. 

Why is it that major appliances choose to self-destruct on a holiday weekend? Our HVAC unit is in the ceiling of the hall bathroom. It apparently is jealous of the tub and has taken on a new role as a shower -- water dripping, wastebaskets and other containers catching the slow but steady drip, drip, drip. Waiting for call-back from 24/7 emergency repair service man-on-the-street, our new best friend, Ralph. 

Ka-ching, ka-ching!