What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Today we had an eventfilled day, we drove around the Island, going way up North, then slowly trekking down, through La Laguna, lovley lunch at a place service "pinchos" preferrably a fois Gras with caramelized onions, then onwards to a quaint little seaboard town that once was a prosperous harbour town but now as a result of both lava and other natural disasters are more a slumbering little Village, then förtöjer on a mountain route Worthy its name "Masca" wow, wonderful scenery and more than a couple of eeeek moments involved. Sooo Happy the car had hill-brakes as it involved some stop and go as well as Ohhhh sh--- this road is narrow.... Back to route Tf-1 and coming on home to the hotel. Tomorrow we'll venture up Teide in the car so that I too can see what Hubby has endured riding his bike up....

hugs

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rbytsdy said:

Whew-- finally got that big red rosette finished off for reals now:

Whoops, just noticed that the blue rosette needs to be just as big, so guess I'll need to find some more blue scraps to finish that outer ring of it.

I really like how this is coming together. The colors, patterns and overall design are very appealing.

10 hours ago, rbytsdy said:

Whew-- finally got that big red rosette finished off for reals now:

large.IMG_3804.jpg.123df9c089d979c3163d5

Whoops, just noticed that the blue rosette needs to be just as big, so guess I'll need to find some more blue scraps to finish that outer ring of it.

That is so incredibly beautiful!

All packed now and bags checked in at the hotel and sort of ready to go back home again. It will be quiet the change in weather as it has been week below freezing temps at home and over here an average of 26-29 degrees Celsius in the shade....

hugs

18 minutes ago, Anna said:

All packed now and bags checked in at the hotel and sort of ready to go back home again. It will be quiet the change in weather as it has been week below freezing temps at home and over here an average of 26-29 degrees Celsius in the shade....

hugs

Safe trip, Anna. 

• Like 1

Thank you! We made it home and now the pillows are soooo falling My name.... We have a hint of snow on the ground too so talk about going from one season to another 

hugs

58 minutes ago, Mary K said:

OMG, you're all still here!  Too tired and frankly had one too many beers this eve, but OMG you're all still here!  And so am I, so am I.  Will update very soon.  OMG, you're all still here!

Well look who's back! 

{HUG!}

<chuckling> Not only am I here, I'm here at 4 a.m.  As an I-need-8-hours-of-sleep person most of my life, I didn't quite believe that older people need less sleep. Nowadays, looking back at the calendar from a 75-year-old perspective, I'm finding I sleep 4-5 hours at a stretch and that's it. I'm up and functioning. Although once in a while after being up for several hours, I'll go back to bed for a 2-hour nap. It's great to be retired and able to enjoy such an erratic schedule. :D 

Hubby and I just returned from a week of vacation at the Outer Banks!  Had a wonderful week with beautiful views, great weather and AMAZING seafood dinners! 

Ugh- now it is back to work again....and the continued saga of working with my mom and the lawyer (appt on  Wed) as we try to get their finances in order.  Today my daughter is helping my mom through the final paperwork with the sale of the Florida house.  The Florida real estate agent sure picked a terribly inconvenient closing date!! ggrr. Closing is tomorrow - which meant the paperwork had to be Fed Ex'd to my daughter (here in PA) while we were on vacation in NC, and then banks were closed on Friday due to the holiday....coupled with a glitch on the paperwork which meant re-sending forms....which meant final signing and bank stuff must be finished up today and overnighted for tomorrow!  *sigh* All I gotta say is thank goodness that my daughter has POA with me-couldn't have done this without her!

For the past several years, we’ve done Thanksgiving Mystery Dinners.  We make up a mystery, then make up clues to go with it (letters, newspaper clippings, witness statements,, etc.— different types of clues, depending on the story).  Then, between dinner and dessert, our friends are given the clues and work on solving the mystery.   Having learned about Frances Glessner Lee and her Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death through a link on this site, we decided that this year’s mystery had to include a miniature diorama of the crime scene.  To make it easier for our friends to see and handle, I used 1:12 scale.  It seems really big to me (I usually work in 1:24), but you can buy nearly anything you want, which is nice, and you don’t have to spend a lot of money.

It certainly was therapeutic to have something I had to work on over the weekend.  I did a “quick and dirty” build of a room box on Friday, with some additions on Saturday and Sunday.  It’s just foam core, covered on the outside with contact paper to make it look a little nicer. I just passed the plugs on the lights through the wall and into a power strip.  The minis are mostly from the cheaper end of the spectrum, with some items from my stash.  I built the typewriter table.  If I have time, I’d love to build the cathedral radio from One-Inch Minis to sit on top of the filing cabinet.  Clues are hidden in the bookcase, desk and filing cabinet (and typewriter).  As they “discover” them, we will give folks full-sized versions, so they don’t develop eye strain trying to read them.

The set-up is that a large charity ball is being given at an estate outside Boston in November, 1938.  At the end of the evening, the owner of the house is found dead in his study.  Our guests will be given access to the room box, witness statements, and the clues they can find in the study.  We hope they enjoy it. 

DeathinDiorama2.jpg.226730846388f68dea60

DeskCloseUp.jpg.c62f323460a05351fd29b6c8

Uploaded Images

•  
  •  

DeathinDiorama2.jpg

88 kb · Done

•  
  •  

After my month long trip from Missouri to California to Texas then back to misery (Missouri). I haven't done much of anything.  I am still plugging away at the Lily, but she still just isn't talking to me.  I put together a paper model of Hogwarts castle.  My daughter wants me to build her one.  I have no idea how.  If this paper model is anything close to the Hogwarts.....it's not going to happen.

52 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Deborah, where did you find that Morris chair?

I actually bought it about a year ago, intending to use it for a different project, but it worked perfectly for this one.  I think I got it at either the Mott's Miniatures dollhouse store or De Joux Miniatures.  It wasn't expensive, and may have been a close-out.  It's made by Town Square.

The aftermath of vacationing is doing the laundry... Good thing we won't need to use the summery clothes right now over here. It is grey, wet and dreary but atleast not freezing temps. 

Hugs

• Like 1