What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

20 minutes ago, Sable said:

I was sick of trying to keep up with brunette hair and constant grey/gray roots. So yesterday I began the grey/gray hair transition journey. Six hours at the hair salon with hundreds of foils wrapped around half of my hair strands later, I am a warm blonde with silver tones. In 6 weeks they do the whole process again and then I just let the grey/gray grow out.  "What a drag it is getting old"

Good for you, Sable! A new and wiser you! I started the same process about 14 months ago, and I am so happy with my natural gray! It's got enough varied color at this point that it looks like I get it done professionally, and I only have a few more months to go until the "fake" part has fully grown out and I can cut it off. My husband loves it too, and it is easier to style and keep because the texture is much better! Yeah for something good to come out of getting "wiser"!

14 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Good for you, Sable! A new and wiser you! I started the same process about 14 months ago, and I am so happy with my natural gray! It's got enough varied color at this point that it looks like I get it done professionally, and I only have a few more months to go until the "fake" part has fully grown out and I can cut it off. My husband loves it too, and it is easier to style and keep because the texture is much better! Yeah for something good to come out of getting "wiser"!

Thanks for the encouragement. I can't wait to never having to deal with hair color that looks great for one week and rarely looks good after that.

• Like 1

I wish there was a way to see what you look like ahead of time.  Having been a dark brunette my whole life, I just don't know what I would look like with light hair.  Maybe lightened a few shades, then a few more?  

I'm lucky re: genetics, I don't look my age, neither does my mother, neither did my grandmother and great grandmother. Both lived to their early 90s.  My mother is not even totally gray yet at 84.

But I have been thinking of lightening, just don't have much gray yet.  Would be nice not to color at all though!

The only time I ever colored my hair was while we lived in HI in my mid-20s; the sun bleached my dark brown hair auburn on top, so I dyed it ll the way down that color.  When we returned to the mainland after 18 months I just kept getting it cut off as it grew out.

On 9/26/2016, 2:33:17, havanaholly said:

Dang, for some reason I can't respond to this thread without it adding this quote box from holly. Iktomi is having a field day in the internet, I think. At any rate, what I really want to say is that when I started to go gray, my hairdresser asked if I wanted to cover it with color. I told her no thanks. I'd paid her enough to add highlights to my hair for years. Now that Mother Nature had taken over, I was happy to say good-bye to the chemicals. :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sable said:

I was sick of trying to keep up with brunette hair and constant grey/gray roots. So yesterday I began the grey/gray hair transition journey. Six hours at the hair salon with hundreds of foils wrapped around half of my hair strands later, I am a warm blonde with silver tones. In 6 weeks they do the whole process again and then I just let the grey/gray grow out.  "What a drag it is getting old"

I'm actually doing this to a customer of mine.  Once she is back to her natural grey, I'm going to add some dark chocolate lowlights. ( yes I'm a hairstylist) 

I feel your pain   "What a drag it is getting old"...laughing ..crying at the wrinkles i see. 

2 hours ago, thresadep said:

...laughing ..crying at the wrinkles i see. 

Actually I've gotten used to the old broad I see in the mirror.  I'm rather surprised that it's neither my mother nor my grandmother, though!

I haven't colored my hair in years.  When I did, it was a color called champagne and when it grew off, no one noticed.  Now my hairdresser told me that he wouldn't color it for anything.  It still looks blonde until he cuts it, then it looks like snow.  Go figure.  :eek:

17 hours ago, Gayle said:

I haven't colored my hair in years.  When I did, it was a color called champagne and when it grew off, no one noticed.  Now my hairdresser told me that he wouldn't color it for anything.  It still looks blonde until he cuts it, then it looks like snow.  Go figure.  :eek:

When I look in the mirror, I see ash blonde or champagne colored hair, but when I get it cut, the clippings on the floor are white. Mind over matter?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

When I look in the mirror, I see ash blonde or champagne colored hair, but when I get it cut, the clippings on the floor are white. Mind over matter?

If you don't mind, it don't matter!

• Like 2

On 10/17/2016, 8:52:06, havanaholly said:

Ah, but you put them together so beautifully!  Gayle, they remind me just a tad of the folded point quilts some of the old ladies in Union County, SC, used to make.

Thanks, Holly! It is such fun seeing it start to come together:

large.IMG_3801.jpg.fcae05f988e9499e8860a

Had to google folded point quilt: oh my! I don't have nearly the skills for that. :p

• Like 1

After mulling it over (DH truly didn't care) I decided rather than try to match the yellow of the rest of the bathroom walls or wind up repainting the entire master bathroom (the nice man we hired to paint the house originally has moved away), to paint the walls around the tub white, since the tub is in a sort of alcove.  I found a pretty whitish tile for the floor immediately in front of the tub (the new tub is at least 6" narrower than the old one) and the new baseboard material is also white.  We'll replace the chrome fixtures (towel bars and toilet paper holder) with pretty wood ones to match the commode seat and call it done.

Sounds lovely, Holly. Yellow and white promises a cheerful room.

We spent a couple hours yesterday and this morning working at the family cemetery with a couple family members helping. A dozen crosses installed, graves weeded, newly-found graves outlined with spray paint to alert new visitors to their location, weed-wacker cleanup in several areas, trash picked up, plastic flowers faded beyond healthy removed -- a healthy day's work.  The folks who were supposed to mow the larger areas and power wash and paint the tombs couldn't come, nor could the priest I'd invited to do a cemetery blessing -- ironically, they were all attending funerals. My 75-year-old muscles are screaming. 

On the way home, we stopped at a local farm market and got a bag of locally grown satsumas (a local citrus fruit, smaller than an orange, thinner skinned than a tangerine). With the ideal combination of wet and dry weather this summer, the crop is gorgeous --- juicy and sweet.

• Like 1

So, almost all packed and so ready for tomorrow morning and an early wake up as we will be off for a week to Teneriffe. We'll be meeting up with My parents who are there allready and looking forward to that too! Have a mini-ing Box packed too, more faux wicker baskets I hope....

hugs

• Like 1

The baseboards went on Thursday and yesterday we hung the new shower rod and began moving out of the guest bathroom last night after showers.  With the artwork hanging here & there it doesn't look as stark as it sounds.

• Like 1

Spent the morning booking nonstop NOLA-London flights and a river cruise in France next May. We'll miss the Kensington miniature show, alas, but that's the weekend we need to be in Lyon, France, to catch the cruise. Planning to take the Eurostar train from London to Lyon and back to London. We love trains as much as we love cruising on small boats. We'll be gone most of the month. I'm already packing, mentally. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Spent the morning booking nonstop NOLA-London flights and a river cruise in France next May. We'll miss the Kensington miniature show, alas, but that's the weekend we need to be in Lyon, France, to catch the cruise. Planning to take the Eurostar train from London to Lyon and back to London. We love trains as much as we love cruising on small boats. We'll be gone most of the month. I'm already packing, mentally. :) 

Ohhh that sounds likehuuuuge fun!

hugs

16 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Have fun!

3 minutes ago, Anna said:

Ohhh that sounds likehuuuuge fun!

hugs

Yup! Forgot to mention spending a week with Lloyd's French cousin in Lyon after the cruise. :) And hoping for a hook-up with a friend when we get back to London after the visit with Bernard & family.

[laughing -- spellcheck asked if I want to substitute French cuisine for French cousin -- planning to enjoy both the cuisine and the cousin!] 

• Like 2

hey there one and all...I usuall post in the other section but since this isnt really mini related...

1. I joined this forum when my daughter was 10/11...she helped me(loosely) on my builds....she participated in some swaps with other 
  2. greenleaf youngsters....and now she has grown up on us and gotten married...how does this happen...lol....so I thought I would share a couple of photos for those who knew her when....awwwe....Ill be back in the niche in a couple days....gonna rest now lol
  3. why is it adding numbers to the sentences? super weird:dunno:

Did a shrimp boil yesterday morning with shrimp we got fresh off the boat the day before, corn on the cob and new potatoes. Today this place still has a lingering fragrance of the sea; it's not unpleasant. Put the shrimp in the refrigerator to chill while we spent the day with cousins visiting from California. Had lunch at one of our favorite restaurants in the swamp, Des Familles, took a walk on the boardwalk through the swamp at the Jean Lafitte National Park where we saw an alligator up close and personal, stopped by the Dobard Family cemetery to show off what we've accomplished there, and ended up back home with chilled shrimp for supper. All this laced with nonstop catching up. All this in wonderfully mild, not-as-humid-as-usual weather. To say it was a lovely day would be an understatement. :) 

5 hours ago, nuttiwebgal said:

hey there one and all...I usuall post in the other section but since this isnt really mini related...

2. why is it adding numbers to the sentences? super weird:dunno:

Because somehow you clicked on the tool on the bar above the message that formats numbered sentences. As I see this response frame on my laptop computer, across the top of the panel are links to format the type font as bold, italic or underlined, then the external link  and emoji symbols, then options to bullet or number sentences, then line formatting (left, centered, right), then choices to format text as strikethrough, superscript or subscript, then text color choices and drop down tabs for Font style and Size. 

I'm guessing these are different on iPads or phones.