What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I got the Fall decorating, rearranging and fixin up bug today! I started out to dust which morphed into switching around sofa pillows etc. This let to the decision to make new covers for some of the pillows that I can't stand anyway and on and on. Then I got out some fall decor for my mantle and thinking of new ways to use what I already had from the past two years. I had a good time playing!!! :)

My DH had kidney stones last year, right after I thought he needed more calcium in his diet....my bad! He had his blasted and that worked real well. So far he has been good--(stopped the calcium supplements right away!)

I wasn't so lucky last year- I ended up with 4 surgeries within a month and only one was non-invasive. In my case, calcium isn't the problem, oxalates are. I can have all the dairy I want, but very few green vegetables or fruits, and no nuts of any kind. I got a call from the urology clinic at the University yesterday. The were nice enough to tell me the name of the doctor I'll be seeing. I wanted to make sure I wasn't being handed off to a doctor-in-training, so I looked up his credentials online. He's the head of the Urology Department, a former adjunct professor and he's been in practice almost 35 years, so he should know what he's doing.

I cut down the two citrus trees that were growing next to one of the live oaks in the backyard. Neither of them were producing fruit, but plenty of seriously dangerous thorns, so they're now fire wood.

Yup, no caffeine for me after noon if I want to sleep.

Funny about caffeine - my mother couldn't go to sleep at night without a cup of strong coffee. By that I mean if she had a cup left in the pot from the afternoon she'd warm it up and drink it.

I often like a cup of hot tea (weak) before I go to sleep.

Yesterday I spilled some nail polish remover on the keyboard of my laptop. It seems that's happened to a lot of people according to Google. If my laptop gets through today without problems I guess it's ok. People reported keys that got stuck and wouldn't work or even keys that fell out.

Gosh, Grazhina, I hope the acetone in the nail polish remover didn't eat through a vital connection. Keyboards can survive water, coffee, orange juice and a lot more, but a solvent ... :hmm: ... seems as if that could be a problem.

• Like 1

...Keyboards can survive water...

Not really, that's how I killed our last computer.

Last night we were leaving our Florida Trail Association meeting and my remote flashed the car's lights and unlocked the doors, but when we got in the car went dark and when DH put his key in the ignition, NOTHING. When one of the other members drove over and put on jumper cables, we had lights when we opened the doors, but turning the key in the ignition produced "clickety-clickety". A call to our roadside assistance # and 45 minutes later we learned that we had loose battery cables (the battery is only a year old), we got jumped and we got home.

Today DH has been playing in the car all day. He got the battery terminals cleaned and the cables won't snug because he needs new clips. The shifter had come apart, so he put that back together, but it also needs a new clip to stay that way; so after a while wee're headed to the auto parts store to get the needed clips so he can play with it some more tomorrow.

The contractor came by this AM to get money so he can start on building our back porch next week, so replacing a car isn't an option. It's always something...

I had to replace my battery Wednesday. Sluggish starting and when I got ready to leave a parking lot, clickety click. Called my son to jump start the truck, he checked the battery when it was charged, naturally the indicator showed weak. Headed to the battery place and they did a pro-rated cost for me. The warranty was for 5 years and purchased in 2011. The cost wasn't as high as I figured but I was disappointed that I didn't get as much use out of it as it should have been. With winter coming, I don't play around with them.

I was up late applying for jobs online. The only job I was able to find that paid close to what I used to earn, is in Miami, but I applied for it anyway. The real irony is that it only requires a high school diploma and 3 months of experience. The jobs here in Gainesville that require a Bachelor's or better, pay less than half of what I would earn if I get the job- $9 - $10 an hour. That's why I don't buy into the idea that people who earn low wages are "uneducated" or "lazy". There just isn't any logic in the pay scale anymore. If I get the position, I'll have to rent a studio in the bad part of town and commute on the weekends. Not sure how child care costs will factor in, but I need the work.

Today we're lighting up the grill again, if it doesn't rain.

Jeremy, I hear that frustration loud and clear. Finding a good paying, steady job can be a nightmare :pullhair:

The weather has finally turned the corner for fall here. Beautiful cool temperatures and sunshine have been the rule except for 1 days last week when we had a nasty humid, hot front move through. I'm back to the daily grind of laundry and house-cleaning today, but I should have time this afternoon to get the craft table set up.

• Like 1

Sarah, it sure is. The Miami job turned out to be a scam. When an "employer" emails you and 20 others with instructions to "interview" on Yahoo Messenger, you know there will be a check from Nigeria that needs to be cashed and wired back as part of the "job".

Last weekend I got a little chuckle after checking the classified ads- my previous job was listed for the 2nd time in less than 4 months. When I was getting canned, I told them 12 to 14 active cases in a 42 case docket, with no time to familiarize myself with any of the cases and attorneys fighting over the too few paralegals they have, isn't a "good fit" for anybody, but I guess they didn't listen.

I was contacted by my former boss from back when I worked at a biotech company. He was surprised by the lack of interest from the few law firms that are hiring in the area. He also asked me if I was going to start my own business, what would interest me. I told him the only thing I know well enough to operate competently, would be a dollhouse and hobby shop, but from the two failed shops that used to be in this area, it looks like that kind of business, despite the lack of competition, was never really a profitable venture for the owners. Even Tina of Tina's Dollhouses worked at CVS while her mom manned the store. It never turned a profit in all the years it was in operation. I wish there was a store in town, but I need revenue/income, not a full-time hobby.

I was able to locate several reputable professional job placement sites that look promising, so I registered with them. Hopefully I'll hear something soon from one of them.

• Like 2

Jeremy, I think what puts the hobby shops out of business is the price of the merchandise. EVERY shop I have ever been in only carried mdf houses (no greenleaf) which are very pricey and heavy. They also carry expensive, collector furniture. There is never a line of 'cheap' stuff for someone buying for a child or just starting out or dabbling. What kept them alive as long as they did was classes. Just food for thought.

Today I go to the doctor to get some drugs to knock out the last of a sinus infection. It's going around like wildfire here - everyone has the same thing.

Tomorrow, work on the front yard resumes with a new crew. Some day it might get finished.

• Like 1

We are STILL not done the bathroom renovation. sigh .... I'm SO tired of walking over sheetrock, boards, plumbing and electrical stuff, paint cans and toolboxes and such. This was supposed to be done in June! We aren't even to the decorating part yet - you know like towel bars, etc. Even faucets and doors would be nice. sigh again.

I really need to inspire these guys to get this done before my surgery. I only have 6 1/2 weeks left til D-day. At the rate we have been at, I'll be dead and gone before it's completed. I'd surely like to be able to put away things before then and maybe even try out the new tub before then - maybe ....

Sorry, I'm just Miss Cranky-pants over how long this is taking. The work is excellent but just ridiculously slow.

• Like 2

I wish that was the case with the local shops, Deana, but they both had a good selection of GL houses and low cost furnishings that were perfect for children. Ron's has a wide variety of low cost furnishings too, but they have a huge variety of everything and they're in a much larger metro area.

Debra, I know of a few race car drivers that would pay good money for a clock like that.

Selkie, 3 months and they're still not done with one bathroom?!! If they're not working on other parts of the house too, I would call the contractor/owner of the business and request a concrete answer as to why one room has taken so long to not be complete. The million dollar, 4,500 sq. ft. house being built across the street was started about 2 months ago, and they're almost finished with the entire house, so a bathroom shouldn't take that long.

well mini work has stopped as one of this gals fav time of the yr is upon us....today we are going through Deans stash of assorted wood to see if we can find everything we need for a monster mud statue....poor Mumford and Boris went to the burn pile when we left Mo...the 99c store has 2 mask that will doo nicely and one is a witch....so perhaps a Brunhilda or Agatha this time around...I do have to make a trip to the fabric warehouse and see how much fabric is in 7lbs for 5.97

everyone but Pixie is excited about haunting our porch again this yr...but she went down the costume aisle to look at costumes which is a HUGE deal for us.

also hoping to score a shelf this weekend and set up the Village...

if I put spooky cloth on the open end of the porch and corner and webbing...would it be safe to put the houses on the porch?

its all gonna be covered in Cob webs and lit up.I dunno what I will do yet...but we are getting ready!! Dean has already started his job of turning the recycling bin into a pop up...I want to use a skellie but he still voting for the werewolf...oooooooooooooooooooooooooo sooo spooooooky

• Like 2

Jeremy, by the time we found Tina's shop she was pretty much shutting down to operate out of her garage and didn't have much stock; and the only other shop in Gainesville was Raggedy D's and she was gone long before Tina! and I don't recall either of them carrying Greenleaf kits.

We went hiking Sunday and I was only good for about two miles before Arthur (the peskier of the Itis boys) started giving me fits. We were at Big Lagoon State Park and I hobbled back to the car along the first road whilst DH went along the rest of the trail, another three miles, and he got back to the truck a couple of minutes after I did. I have pre-physical labwork Thursday AM and the checkup two weeks after that, and between pacer issues (I had cardio lab yesterday AM) and Arthur and the prescription "service" (Medicare part D, mumble) I have a laundry list to discuss with my poor little doctor.

Praying for you, Jeremy, that you will find the right fit for a job. How frustrating! Instead of a brick and mortar store, could you get an online inventory going and sell miniatures that way?

Well, the Fair season is over - next month we start the Home Show season. I caught a cold during the last week of the last fair, and was popping pills every four hours to control the cough! Just had an interesting session at the nail salon this afternoon. I had taken my pills, had a throat lozenge in my mouth and two in my pocket - determined to get through the 1 hour session without coughing! Yeah, right! First my nail tech, a very sweet young lady with diabetes, said she was feeling dizzy. Went to check her blood sugar, which was low, so she left to get a chocolate milk. I'm fine, waiting patiently, no coughing. She's back pretty soon and gets going on my nails again, and I start to cough. Just a little - then a lot! Had to get up and leave the room! Finally got it under control and came back. So between the two of us, it was a challenging session! But we both had a good laugh about and finally got my nails looking gorgeous again.

Heading out the door pretty soon for my birthday dinner. Red Lobster is still running their endless-shrimp menu - Boy! are they in trouble now!! I seem to have an endless capacity for seafood :eatyum: DH is leaving for NE again on Saturday, and I'm working at a Home Show on my actual birth date next week, so we're celebrating a bit early.

• Like 6

Happy early birthday! DH & I also have a limitless capacity for good, fresh seafood; lucky we live where we do, huh?

After my AM labwork we hit a new (to us) breakfast place on the same street as Hobby Lobby, so that was our next stop. I picked up some woodsies for Kat and looked longingly at the new items they have gotten in; I hope I can get back when/ if they go on sale.

• Like 1

I had a strange interview yesterday. I applied for an "office coordinator" position through a professional employment company on Monday, and got the interview scheduled the very next day. Only when I finally met with the person at the placement company, he told me I was over qualified for the job, which was "looking for a pretty face to greet customers", but they had a better position for me- that pays $2 LESS per hour, which is almost half of what I was earning. I explained that the goal is to earn MORE, not less, especially if the position requires specialized skills. I need work, but I certainly don't need to be exploited by a low-balling, cheapskate employer. He said there were other, better paying positions he would look into, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

Jeremy, that is quite bizarre! Not quite getting how a "better" job pays less money; maybe because it's not as boring?

Lazy day of football watching after church for me today; my amazing DH took me around to all the grocery stops yesterday. We stopped for a quick lunch in the middle, and we both took a nap when it was all over :rofl:

Still working on the renovations. Painting the ceiling in the little guys room today. Then it's on to the walls and putting the room back together. Just put a second coat of high gloss OSHA Red enamel on a small bureau for him. Boy is it bright !!!

Still adding coats of poly to the closet shelves and the kitchen island addition - staining is all done finally.

Washer and dryer are moved to their new home and working. Plumbing is done. Still have lots of little details to finish in the bathroom but the big messy stuff is almost over. Things like cupboard doors and caulking and then hopefully the decorating can begin.

Then I have to put the attic back together - ugh !! It had to get torn apart for the plumbing and electrical to get done and it looks like a bomb went off up there.

Then, sh-h-h-h .... fingers crossed, whispering this super quietly, maybe, just maybe, I can work on my studio. Maybe ...

• Like 3

Our family has had a rough weekend.

Dad has been in and out of the hospital since his heart attack in July - recurring fluid build-up in his lungs. Last week they discovered he has a leaky valve...and Friday they told us they couldn't operate because his heart function and kidney function has suddenly taken a down-turn. There was a procedure and a drug that could be used to possibly increase heart function, but with that came certain consequences. My parents chose not to do that.

On Saturday my dad seemed to be changing his mind -he is in total denial - and DH and I began the pain-staking task of tearing out our hair. Lots of consults with docs, nurses, case workers and hospice coordinators.

On Sunday his BP took a nosedive. More consults, more hair tearing out. So finally today he is being released - to go home- with hospice care.

I am sad. I am frustrated with my parents. I am angry. I know this is kind of a 'rite of passage' for all adults....I just pray for patience, wisdom and discernment as the family takes our turn into this end-of-life journey with my dad.

• Like 1

Having walked this road several times now, I do understand the wide range of emotions you are going through.

It's hard to step back and let folks make decisions that are tough, at best, and when they don't seem to be how we would handle it ourselves, it makes the journey even tougher.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you walk this path.

Many virtual hugs as well.

• Like 1