What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Today was a complete waste of time. I aced the written test this morning, but failed the practical test. After reviewing the practice book we were given in class, and looking online, the range-of-motion exercise for elbows we were taught in class is NOT the exercise you're supposed to perform on the test. I passed the other 4 practical exercises, but I had to pass all 5 to get my certification. I'm so angry, I'm seeing red. :blowup:

Perhaps it needs to be pointed out to the powers that be so the teaching matches the requirements in the future.

That just doesn't seem right.

I'm definitely calling them tomorrow. It's bad enough that the work book they gave us didn't have the any useful information (we had to write down everything the instructor said as she told us each step), but I performed the exercise while being observed and graded by her more than once, so I know I didn't write it down differently than what was described. I was told the institution had a reputation for poor training, but I didn't listen.

I'm not certain, but I believe the cost of repeating the test is $140. I can take it again after 30 days. I just hope that if I do take it again, I don't end up with another exercise that was improperly taught. I also find it aggravating that I'm spending all this time and money to be certified for a job that pays the same as McDonald's.

PU does my house stink right now. The painting happened today - first coat. Blues in the bath area and yellows in the new laundry area. Flooring is in and will go in the end of next week. Then will come the moving of the washer and dryer and the decorating. Then the little guys room will need to get finished. Can't wait til it's ALL done!!

• Like 2

Working looong hours at the State Fair right now. Have today and tomorrow off, then go back to work - weekend schedule is 13 hours a day. I had submitted my little Georgian Townhouse at the Hobby Hall, and got 2nd prize. Was really hoping for 1st prize, as I put so much work and effort into it, but there were some beautiful miniatures this year so I'm happy for 2nd place. Someone did a HUGE Herman Munster house - a fantastic piece of work. Fortunately, that was a different category than mine, so I wasn't in the same judging! Whoever it was did a fantastic job!

Here's my little treasure ...

• Like 2

We had to go over to Niceville, FL, to renew our Eglin passes for next month's Panhandle Trace Hike, since two days of it are through tthe base; so we hit some of our favorite thrift stores whilst we were at it, and lunched at our new favorite vietnamese restaurant in Niceville/ Valparaiso. I found some mini fruits that began life as mini ornaments but ought to work in a bowl or basket.

• Like 1

I would've loved to see the Munster's house! Growing up and watching the show, I always wished I lived at 1313 Mockingbird Lane too. :)

And congrats!

Not much going on in my world these days, other than minis. I may take Monday off to work on them even more. Oh, and some good news... I think I may be over the concussion, finally! Tomorrow marks my 7th day headache-free! :D

• Like 6

spent the day with the best "mini" lil Antonio brought his momma so she could spend the day with her momma for her Birthday...my sweet girl turned 23 today

made her big pan of bread pudding and read to Tonyo...lil mans unofficial nickname since his 2 yr old cousin cannot say Antonio.

we had a pretty good day...I miss spending time with my girl!

and the baby is sweeter than sugar....

I have been going to work at our shop for the last couple of weeks. Normally I only go in if they are shorthanded to answer phones (about every 6 months) for a day, but because of vacations I have been in for 2 weeks now so I decided to start cleaning. Everyone ducks when they see me coming because I want something lifted, shifted or taken to the dumpster. It's looking much better there.

I am getting antsy about working on some minis again, so I think it's time to close up the yard for the year. Kinda sad.

Sorry to have been MIA lately. The last round of injections in my back didn't go well. Feels like my hip and ankle are both being pulled so hard it's dislocating the joints and everything from the hip down is having muscle spasms under a top layer that's so numb it feels like my whole leg is full of Novocaine. My GP is giving me shots of Toporol and a 'script for Flexoril to help so I've been pretty out of it. I'm not sure if a nerve became pinched because of the inflammation or if the dr nicked a nerve when he was doing the last injections but something sure went wrong. To add insult to injury, when I saw him on Monday he got all defensive about the possibility that his injections caused a problem and went off on a rant, lecturing me about how I wouldn't have this problem if I weren't fat and lazy. I fired him but it doesn't change the fact that my pain has reached an all time record high. I've been super miserable and didn't want to come here and make anyone feel down so I've been doing a lot of staring at the walls. The boys have been hanging out with me on the bed even tho they don't understand why Mom yelps like a baby seal every time she tries to roll over but they meow back reassurances just to be polite.

As soon as I can get around I'm going to get the halloween stuff out of the big closet downstairs and start getting the house ready for Samhain. I need to catch one of the neighbors and find out how many trick or treaters we can expect. I decided to get out my cape and pointy hat so I can wear my traditional-witch outfit while answering the door. I'm looking forward to that already since it's been a long, long time since I've lived in an area where kids still go out like they do here. It's also been a long time since I've put up all the Halloween decor so that's going to be fun too.

• Like 1

We made the drive out to the Yearling Restaurant for dinner this evening. It is right around the corner from Marjorie Kinnan Rawling's house in Cross Creek, Florida. The place was very different, but the escargot was amazing, along with everything else. There was even an old time, bluegrass band playing. We got there before it got crowded and as soon as we sat down, they started talking to our kids. Eventually, Julianna went up on stage and sang with them. Mostly the theme songs to children's cartoons, but they played along.

Jeremy, that sounds like a great time!! It's always nice when the kids are included with stuff like that, it makes them feel special and they will remember it forever.

Deb, I am so sorry. If I could slap that doctor for you I would. I was told I wouldn't cough so much if I lost weight once (not sure how weight and scarred lungs relate), so I know how you feel. Hopefully all the swelling will go down and you will feel better and not feel like you threw money out the window.

I have been accomplishing much at work with tossing out old stuff we will never use. Woohoo.

Actually, I'm beginning to wonder if our own weight gain is used as the doc's excuse because the doc doesn't have an answer..by just telling us we are overweight, old doc feels the burden to find the real cause has now been transfered to us....Can you tell I'm not happy with mine either? :D

Glad you fired him, Deb. Doctors sometimes forget that they're job is to help us, not insult us or make assumptions about us. It isn't hard to hit a nerve when giving an injection (I've had several hit in the past) so he's thinking too much of himself if he thinks he can stick a needle into someone without hitting a nerve on occasion.

Before going out to dinner yesterday, I went to a job fair in Ocala (about 40 miles south of home). There were lots of employers there, including a doctor who was moving his practice to the area. I found several job leads, so I'm hopeful. I got past the first hurdle for a very good paying job with the city's legal department, but I haven't gotten a call for an interview yet.

Today I'm firing up the grill again and plan to do some yard work. I have cleared about 1,500 sq. feet of jungle out of the back yard jungle so far. From what I can see, it looks like the thickest growth was in the area I cleared out, so it may move more quickly from this point. It's still hot and humid with random showers every day, but it has been cooling off into the high 80's, in the evening, so it isn't so bad.

• Like 1

Congrats on the nice night out and the leads at the job fair, Jeremy.

And my dear Deb, I'm so sorry this hasn't worked out the way you hoped. It all sounded so good at the start. I was worried about you and had tried to PM you but your box must be full cuz it wouldn't go through. This guy sounded like he had a great approach and was so hopeful that you would get some true healing and relief. I miss seeing you here but more than that selfish thought, I pray for your health to be restored and joy to flood your life once again. Hugs ~

• Like 1

Prayers for all of our ailing members, whether or not they've shared their pain with us. Praying that their physical burdens be lifted and praying for understanding, strength and commitment to those close to them who provide support.

• Like 1

Thinking of my friend Kat and missing her sunny newsy posts, aren't you?

Enjoying some incredible sunny New Mexico days lately. The "monsoons" have gone and left us with clear blue skies and lovely temperatures in the 70's of course no humidity. I spent the afternoon looking around in a Flea Market in town and found a nice old oak farmer's chair to go with my nice desk we found last week in a second hand store. I would say I scored deals both times on some nice pieces. I am a happy camper!

Hope everyone enjoys a nice weekend!!! :)

• Like 1

On top of dealing with chemo ickies Kat is also probably sharing the dismally gray & gloomy rain we've had in coastal AL today.

I acquired some gorgeous Italian yarn that's a blend of wool, silk and nylon that I'm trying a new pattern to make into a shawl for the cold weather that will probably arrive before I'm finished with it.

• Like 2

Oh Deb, I'm so sorry :) Are these the osteopath injections?

Yes and that makes it more disappointing because I'd expected better from him. It's like he panicked when I started describing neurological symptoms, especially since I'd told him about having some pain in my leg when I went in for the last round but he did the injections anyway. Holly, these are a botanical and anti-inflammatory mix with no steroids. That's why I was able to have 40 injections over three weeks. As long as it was going well he was a really nice guy but as soon as things went south he turned into Mr. Hyde. I jus wish he had done something to address why my leg is numb or the nasty hip reaction because these are kind of extreme.

I'm still typing sideways and need to stop but wanted to give hugs all around.

Aha! When you mentioned his attack that you were "fat and lazy" I immediately thought of the long-term effects of all those steroids you had had before, of which Dr Hyde should certainly have been aware. You might mentione that next time you want to address your local medical board. Doctors don't need to add to their patients' pain by projecting their own frustrations and the actions of other peers onto those patients.