What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I wish you'd PM me your recipe for the banana blueberry cake. We went out and ran acouple of errands this AM before hitting the grocery store. I love it when DS visits because we go through the food a lot quicker and I can buy things that would go bad before two of us can eat them, but the third person makes it just enough. I'm still doing a lot of prep work for Washington; she's very picky, but I'm learning lots of new stuff.

• Like 2

Hot and humid here today so I stayed indoors and kept the ac on. Our lawn man came and graded, added topsoil and seeded the backyard. It looks so nice! I can't wait for the little grass shoots to poke their heads into the sunshine. We have a small undone area for the dogs to use; they run along the fence sticking their heads under to sniff the fresh dirt...so silly.

My boys were feeling deprived so I made chocolate chip cookies for them (DH included) and mini bundt cake for my dad. A double recipe of cookies makes approximately 60 cookies which will probably last until Saturday :lol:

Happy news, Gibbs came home with a clean bill of health from the vet. No cancer, just a bruise that filled up with fluid and other stuff. 2 weeks of antibiotics just to be safe :banana: I was so worried; he's 8 now and stiff, but he's my big baby :bigwink:

• Like 2

I would be happy to share my Banana Blueberry cake recipe BUT the recipe is written for high altitude above 7,000 ft! I don't know how to reverse it to regular altitude. I have been doing science experiments with baking for a couple of years now I am not sure how to go back to regular! :)

• Like 1

Lawanda,my son isn't home tonight to ask him,but I think when my sons travel to visit their aunt in Columbus,GA they go to some restaurant enroute where they 'throw rolls'. They've been talking about it ever since they were little kids! :)

Kelly,that onamental grass sounds cool! I am trying to get some ground covers going under my oaks. My 2 ivy varieties are great,but other stuff I put in is going kinda slow.

Welcome home,KathieB! The screen porch sounds wonderful!

Sarah,so glad your sweet puppy boy is okay! I bet the cookies are great!

Roxy,I admire you,girl-cooking at a high altitude and rocking it! I can barely bake at all,and surely not from scratch like you and Holly. Go,ladies! :)! LOL

I have just been working,eating,and sleeping lately and not doing very well at any of it. Thankfully my tooth is much better since I got the new filling,although I am now broke!! Yikes! Now I'm dealing with a much more worrisome health issue I hope to resolve soon.

My unfinished builds are yelling at me with tons of good ideas,but I have neither time or energy yet... :ermm:

I would be happy to share my Banana Blueberry cake recipe BUT the recipe is written for high altitude above 7,000 ft! I don't know how to reverse it to regular altitude. I have been doing science experiments with baking for a couple of years now I am not sure how to go back to regular! :)

Oh, I forgot you live at a high altitude! I had an unfortunate breakfast cooking experience on our 50th wedding anniversary tent camping trip down Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway last year at one of the campgrounds; I found out later we were at 6000 ft up! I Googled recipes and found some that, if not yours, sound yummy.

Lawanda,my son isn't home tonight to ask him,but I think when my sons travel to visit their aunt in Columbus,GA they go to some restaurant enroute where they 'throw rolls'...

Kat, that's Lambert's. There are three of them in the country; two are in Missouri and one is on SR59 in Foley, Alabama. The waiters do, indeed, throw the hot rolls at diners from across the room and our family have gotten pretty good about catching them!

• Like 1

Holly,yes,I remember now,that's the name,Lambert's! Is that also the place that serves all the good country cooking and the servers bring bowls/pots of stuff around to the tables to let you try it-different vegetables and such,as I recall...This was a great place my older boy took me to when we went over to Foley once,but I honestly don't recall any rolls flying around!LOL If it is the same place,the food is great!Just gotta ask my son when he gets home-my memory is worse and worse!

Wow,Roxy,y'all really are up high,over 7000 feet! I have no idea the highest altitude I've ever been to-whatever elevation the Sierras are in California,I guess. I wonder sometimes what it's like for you when you come down to a lower elevation,after living up there so long.

That's the one and the same Lambert's. You have to be starving hungry when you go there because the meat portions are huge and they continually come around with big bowls of mac & cheese, potatoes, stewed tomatoes, beans, peas, fried okra and rolls to indeed get thrown to diners who put up their hands to catch them (they also bring around pots of butter and apple butter to put on those rolls); and you also need to get there early or you will wait in line for a couple of hours (people who have eaten there before will wait in lines that stretch around the building). The Lambert's in Sikesbille, MO, has already outgrown at least two locations.

• Like 1

Sikeston MO is the original. I live about 20 miles from that one. We were at the one in Ozark, MO . not a bad wait, especially since there was 17 of us. And yes you must be starving. I hurt myself and my granddaughter took what I couldn't eat home with her for a snack. It was fabulous, especially since my brother didn't even know I was going to be there....... SURPRISE!!!!!. His girl friend and I were scheming for weeks. Tomorrow Silver Dollar City. Oh and yes there is one in AL. Great food which ever one you visit. All you can eat. Love the taters and black eyed peas. Goes without saying the rolls are hot and delicious. I am particularly fond of the molasses.

• Like 1

Yes,Holly,the food was soooo good! It's just crazy,I don't know why I can't recall the roll tossing-my son will probably just roll his eyes at me and sigh.LOL Honestly,I'm not a big bread eater,so I may not have even had one that day. But I do recall how full and happy I was when we left! :) Shoot,now I'm gonna be craving to go there again....

Ed. We must've been there on a good slow day,because we didn't wait in line-that's a family rule for us,if it's that busy and crowded at a restaurant we usually can't stay,because of my chemical fragrance reactions. So we got lucky! :D

Edited by kat57

Sikeston MO is the original. I live about 20 miles from that one. We were at the one in Ozark, MO . not a bad wait, especially since there was 17 of us. And yes you must be starving. I hurt myself and my granddaughter took what I couldn't eat home with her for a snack. It was fabulous, especially since my brother didn't even know I was going to be there....... SURPRISE!!!!!. His girl friend and I were scheming for weeks. Tomorrow Silver Dollar City. Oh and yes there is one in AL. Great food which ever one you visit. All you can eat. Love the taters and black eyed peas. Goes without saying the rolls are hot and delicious. I am particularly fond of the molasses.

I love Branson. My dad's family is all from Ozark and Branson. In fact, the Bilyeu family who founded the Branson bluegrass music movement were my dad's first cousins. If you've been there and seen the Baldknobbers or the Ozark Country Jubilee, you've seen my first cousin Stub who was the headline comedian til he retired a couple years ago. Bruce and I were back there for a couple of weeks a few years ago and loved every minute of it. Skip the throwed rolls in Branson and go next door to the little smokehouse BBQ place that sits back off the road just a little bit. It's one of those local gems that doesn't make all the glossy brochures but they have the BEST pulled pork in the world. They'll serve it up in a red plastic basket with slaw and fries and a big ole dill pickle just the way the good lord intended it to be. You can get a tall milkshake in a frosted glass or a cold beer and sit by the window to watch the river roll past right beside you while the jukebox plays. It's awesome.

Another great place is the diner and I can't think of the name of it. Hang on and lemme check my pics to see if the name is visible. <playing hold music> Found it!! It's called The Uptown Cafe and it's a must-do. It's as close to a time machine as it gets and they're open fairly late in the evening too. Oh, and if you haven't already planned up your entire trip and have time, do the Branson Belle riverboat ride. It's a dinner and theater show while you cruise around the lakes and it's wonderful. It's worth it to pay a little extra for dinner in the Captain's Lounge which is over the paddle wheel and the scenery is breathtaking. (it's also a nicer and quieter dining experience). Between dinner and the show you can walk the decks while the sun sets. Also worth doing is the train ride on the old steam engine up into the mountains. The dining car is really nice if you take the evening ride. And the ducks!!!!! <chuckling> I loved the ducks, especially all the corny old jokes they force the drivers to tell. But it's a great way to see all of Branson and the lakes and even up into the hills a little ways. So, how was SDC? Did you have a total blast?

<waving to everyone> Too much going on to comment on it all but it's great to see everyone. Kathie, good to have you home and Sarah, I'm more relieved than I can say about Gibbs' good vet report. I was worried about him! Nutti, I can SO hook you up with all kinds of succulents and cactus to get you started. I need to cut back my prickly pear soon so I'll start some new babies for you. I've got lots of succulents that are fun to propagate (your grands will love them). Maybe by the time you're moved and settled, I'll be ready to start my cactus/rock garden too and we can plan them together.

The milk jugs and trash bags are haunting my brain. LOL!! That's just really kind of weird. Perhaps they're to keep the birds away since they'd make noise when the wind blows? Or maybe they just have an odd attachment to plastic and this is how they display their prized milk jug and trash bag collection.

• Like 2

Deb, I think you're on to something about the milk jugs and trashbags. I have had a tickle in the back of my brain that scaring birds awat from the garden would be the reason to do it. I wonder if it works for rabbits and deer???

Deb, I think you're on to something about the milk jugs and trashbags. I have had a tickle in the back of my brain that scaring birds awat from the garden would be the reason to do it. I wonder if it works for rabbits and deer???

Well it might, but first you'd have to catch the rabbits and deer, then convince them to wear the silly things. <ducking and running>

• Like 1

Well it might, but first you'd have to catch the rabbits and deer, then convince them to wear the silly things. <ducking and running>

Oh, you silly! Of course NOTHING works to keep rabbits and deer out of gardens.

Oh, you silly! Of course NOTHING works to keep rabbits and deer out of gardens.

I bet the NRA would beg to differ! :p

I'm packing like crazy and getting ready to move tomorrow. I'll probably be off-line until Sunday or Monday. This will be the 5th address at which I'll be working on the modern Tudor. Hopefully it will get a chance to actually work on it soon.

• Like 1

I thought about that too Deb, but they are ziptied tight and don't move. I thought it was to keep the birds out, or the BUNNYRATS we have. Its a rat with a white fluffy tail on its butt. Lol. Yes he said there were rats living under our shed and they were eating his garden. Hubby went and bought lumber and sealed off the underneath of our shed after we scared all the bunnies out. . Next door neighbor and I never have had any problems with rats. We have bunnys all over the place. So we make a joke that we have a new breed of rabbit, a BUNNYRAT ! We've never seen a rat around here.

I read that you take 1 milk jug and put it upside doen over a fence pole, when the wind blows it rattles the jug against the pole and scares off varmints. But there is too many for that, and they can't move.

He probably would not need the jugs or anything to scare things off if when his tomatoes are done growing or are rotten, he would throw them away. Instead he leaves them laying in the garden so if there are varmints in the area they know where to go. My next door neighbor and I clean up our veggies as soon as they are done, so nothing rotting in my yard. I have dogs and don't want them to get something that might hurt them if I left the veggies we grow rot and they ate them.

He used to feed the birds a few years ago, then he cut all the trees down.

I was a little light headed when I came back from California but not as bad as I was when I first got out here. I was sick with altitude sickness for about 2 weeks.

We are actually closer to 8,000 ft out where I live but the town is listed at around 7,000. When we go up into the mountains its about 13,000 ft and I can't walk too far or I get soooooo tired and light headed. You do get use to it though eventually! Wheeler Peak which I can see out of my window is the highest peak in New Mexico at 13,167 feet. This is my view! There is a touch of snow left on the top.

post-26465-0-89761000-1403815159_thumb.j

• Like 2

I bet the NRA would beg to differ!...

I bet our township and the surrounding communities would raise all sorts of bl**dy he** if I fired off a few rounds, much less killed the dear little varmints; and the DNR people frown on people growing gardens just to attract game...

Ugh, been cleaning - because it was needed, because my Daddy was coming to visit and because PILs were coming. First completely spring/summer cleaned the girls room including going through their toys and sorting all their clothes into the different ages and figuring out where to store them all til they're grown into! The too small clothes are all in a basket though, waiting for a sort through and decide which to try and sell at the next National Childbirth Trust sale, and which baby clothes need keeping to include in a patchwork blanket. Then did the landing, guest room, bathroom, stairs, kitchen, sitting room... Daddy kindly mowed the lawns for us. Productive, but now just want to do nothing! Should finish and do the dining room too, but our massive table broke and so it is disassembled there and it is just too cramped to clean properly :p

We've had great weather the last week or two, but the rain came back tonight and summer looks to be over for now :p We had a last sort of bbq in the drizzle tonight - cooked the yummy salmon on the grill but ate inside! It was my mummy's birthday, so had a bit of a feast. Salmon, rice, carrots, grilled asparagus, pea and mint yoghurt salad, chicory with amazing basil dressing, seafood cocktail salad (tomato juice based dressing with cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, avocado, iceberg lettuce, chillies, spring onions and king prawns, yum!) and strawberry sponge cake for dessert! It has been a busy week with cleaning, visitors, cooking... looking forward to next week being chilled out.

• Like 2

Roxy,I looove your view-that is so awesome! Makes me miss the Sierras in California!

I had an extra long day at work,but the little lady I take care of had a great doctor visit and was given a new med to help her sleep. She's much stronger these days,but still needs a lot of assistance walking and getting up and down from a seated position-which she had to do alot of to get to the doctor and back,so guess who is also bushed tonight! But it's a good tired! Still glad it's Friday tomorrow,as I miss working on my builds and hope to have the energy to really accomplish something this weekend.

Kelly,would the milk jugs prevent critters from climbing over the fence? It sure has me perplexed,too.

Good luck with your move,Jeremy. Just over 2 years ago I made my first move in 27 years,to a smaller place,and I am still trying to get settled in!LOL I bet your little ones will love that nice big yard!