What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

We had our fridge die on Christmas Eve one year. It was packed to the hilt since the entire extended family was coming to my house for Christmas dinner. It was a nightmare. Thankfully it was cold outside and we packed buckets with things that could stand the cold temps. We lost a lot of things though.

Had intended to work on the base for the lighthouse yeasterday but weended up soing some real life electricity work dear hubby and I i stead... We had the electrician here Tuesday in prepping for changing from the old system into a temporary system so that we can get rid ofallthe old and crumbling dry cords and cables but that also means that half the house looses the outlets aswell asthe ceiling lighta, fun huh?!? So yesterday was spent putting up temporary ceiling LED lights, and putting up extension cords running to the new system the electrician put up for justthat purpose. So kneeling, crawling, hammering teeny tiny little nails and attaching the cords to tha walls as we don't want the place to look lika a spider wb with the new cords running here and there... Most of it is in place now, so today we'll start tearing out the old pipes containing the cords running up in the loft floor, ie the ceiling lights and outlets for the first floor. Then we'll be able to put in insulation there, and start the actual bulding of room up there where we will eventually have the beedroom one day...

Hugs

• Like 1

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaw! Grab hold of something solid and hang on, Monsoon 2014 has begun! It rolled in on the backside of a haboob (a wall of dust caused by the air being forced downward in front of a thunderstorm cell that rolls across the desert picking up dust and debris as it goes) about five last night when the whole world turned golden yellow as the dust covered the sun. Behind that came wild winds, a downpour of rain that came in driving sheets, and lightning that was so bright it made my eyes go red for a second every time it split the sky. The thunder was amazing. The magnificence of a violent storm like these always draws me right out into the middle of it so I was out twirling around in the yard with my arms up over my head to soak in as much of the energy as I could. <cackle> I am such a pagan. I adore these storms more than about anything else in the world. When I couldn't dance any longer, I sat on the patio wrapped up in a soft throw because I didn't want to go inside long enough to get out of my wet clothes and besides, I knew I'd be back out in it as soon as I caught my breath. My arthritis is singing Ava Maria today but it was so worth it. I tried to get some pictures but I'm not sure how they came out. I'll pull them off my camera later today.

The downside is that my much loved mesquite tree in the backyard split. I'm literally weeping over it this morning because I love that tree. This is what it looked like before the storm:

post-329-0-24717800-1404480775_thumb.jpg

It split at the Y in the trunk and the split goes so far down that I don't think it can be saved. I've been out hugging it and petting it which sounds silly but that's just me. I'll get someone out here on Monday to see what can be done. <sniffling> That tree really means a lot to me.

Kathie, I'm sorry inspiration escaped you at Michael's but as tired as you are right now, maybe it was just hiding until you catch up on some much needed rest.

Debra, the bbq sauce recipe is downstairs and I'll grab it and post it for you the next time I go down.

Selkie, don't feel bad. Someone asked me for a picture of my yuccas in bloom and I can't remember who or where. Come sit by me and we'll hope that they come around and see us here. I'll pour you a glass of iced tea and we'll sing silly songs to pass the time.

• Like 3

The yucca pics might have been me. I always want pictures. Of everything.

I have gotten absolutely nothing done all week, but I have been busy. I have no idea with what. Today I really do have to get something visible done though. Like laundry, dusting and sweeping.

But first I must play on the computer....

Sorry about the tree, Deb. Those one-leggeds do become a part of the family. We have an immense pin oak behind our house that I think is rotting away inside. I'm afraid it will have to come down soon or risk taking out half the house when it folds on its own. To make matters worse, Lloyd named it General Sherman. (I have no idea.) Anyway, it's harder to take out something that has a name on it.

I'm taking an R&R break. Making great headway on the weeding. Ground is still fairly soft from much recent rain, especially in the really overgrown, shady area on today's agenda.

The downside is that my much loved mesquite tree in the backyard split. I'm literally weeping over it this morning because I love that tree. This is what it looked like before the storm..It split at the Y in the trunk and the split goes so far down that I don't think it can be saved.

Selkie, don't feel bad. Someone asked me for a picture of my yuccas in bloom and I can't remember who or where. Come sit by me and we'll hope that they come around and see us here. I'll pour you a glass of iced tea and we'll sing silly songs to pass the time.

Deb, is there any way to force the halves of the mesquite together and duct tape them together?

Sorry about your tree Deb. I'll take you up on the sitting and waiting til we figure it all out too.

As to the tree, we had a tree that was struck by lightning and split down the middle and another large area up higher split as well. The arborist came and drilled right through both sides in both the areas and installed threaded rods right straight through. Then, by putting pressure on the sides, sort of winching style, he put bolts on either end and kept pulling it in and in and in. That tree is still standing and it was struck probably close to 60 years ago !! The rods healed right into the tree and it was stronger than ever. Just a thought ...

• Like 1

My neighbo across the street giftedx us with several pounds of fresh-picked zucchini and corn; while I process the zucchinis I got The Kid to shuck the corn. I won't say I have lovely alkali burns all over the hand I held the squashes whilst peeling them, but if there were any hydrangeas growing nearby I bet they're the most vivid shade of blue ever! I immediately doused both hands several times with vinegar, so while I expect them to peel in a few days; at least the skin's not shrinking to split like the first time, when I didn't know any better.

We got to thinking about the crowds and distances from parking to activities in Milton and then we got the veggies, so we are spending our usual quiet 4th. The weather is gorgeous out!

I have been working on more goodies for Washington.

Grandpa is off work so fishing is on their agenda. They are at Wally World (LOL grandma's laughing at grandpa), then buy some fireworks to shoot off tonight. Grandma tried a sewing lesson with Angel, that lasted about 3 minutes. She did make herself a little bag with the extras. New curtains almost done, first ones were way to small for the BIG barn. Not going to fish, to hot for me anymore. Might go with them and sew the curtain rings on, since that has to be done by hand. I can find a tree to sit under.

Picked up some paint at Home Depot yesterday. WHEN I get ready to tackle the THIRD barn, it's going to be Deer Green. Who needs two red barns. HAHA (who needs two barns?????)

• Like 1

Deb,it's always so sad to lose a beloved tree. For me it was a huge oak at my old place,the only tree in that front yard. Hurricane Elena put half of it on our little brick house,then a few years later Hurricane Georges put the remaining half on the next door neighbors' house! I cried and cried as they cleared away the remnants of it after Georges,and for days after every time I looked at the blank spot were it used to stand. We were lucky it caused relatively 'minor' roof damage in each case,but I missed that old tree until the day I left that house...I sure hope y'all can save your Mesquite-it's beautiful!

I am enjoying a fairly quiet Friday evening,still trying to not think of my medical tests that will be done 2 weeks from today...sigh.

:yay: But,for those who love all the hullabaloo,Happy Birthday,America! :D

Sorry about your tree Deb. I'll take you up on the sitting and waiting til we figure it all out too.

As to the tree, we had a tree that was struck by lightning and split down the middle and another large area up higher split as well. The arborist came and drilled right through both sides in both the areas and installed threaded rods right straight through. Then, by putting pressure on the sides, sort of winching style, he put bolts on either end and kept pulling it in and in and in. That tree is still standing and it was struck probably close to 60 years ago !! The rods healed right into the tree and it was stronger than ever. Just a thought ...

We'll see what the landscaper has to say when he gets here but I'll do everything within my power to keep it from being cut down. Mesquites are actually bean stalks (legumes) so they're tougher than most trees.........it'll all come down to how far down the split goes into the trunk. It's fairly close to the roots so cutting it off, sealing the wound with tar, and then reshaping the canopy to put it back into balance would probably work. I think there's just too much of an imbalance in the weight distribution to try bolting or strapping it but I hope that I'm wrong. Unfortunately it's not my final decision. We opted to lease the house for the first year to make sure we liked living in this neighborhood so decisions like that are under the control of the property manager. However, if they balk I'll shoot them a deal that if they pay for the trimming and if it fails, I'll pay for having the tree cut down and removed later. That's a better financial deal for them anyway with nothing to lose so one way or another, I'll do what it takes to keep that thing alive. I've already contacted them with an argument that would make the Lorax proud and will hear back on Monday. I'll have my fingers crossed until then.

Bruce said that the bbq sauce was a huge hit at work. Their employee pool is a lot of the under-30 age group who didn't even know that you could make bbq sauce from scratch so it was a novelty for them too and that's kind of cool. It's a little touch to employee appreciation day that makes it just a teeny bit more special. Bruce is dead on his feet today after running the grill for 150 people all day but he had a good time too. If you're stuck working on a holiday, it's nice when the management team does something to show their appreciation like this.

About that bbq sauce recipe.............I'll post it but bear in mind that this was written on the back of a grocery list over 35 years ago and was dictated from memory by the person I got it from. <chuckling> That means that the amounts are "most of a bottle of catsup" and "two thirds of a box of brown sugar". Since there isn't a standard in product packaging anymore, I'm going to just post the way I make it which isn't much better because I don't measure things when I cook but I'll give some general values. This is definitely one of those recipes that is best when it's made by someone comfortable with experimenting in the kitchen because it's a lot of "dump in, stir, taste, tweak as needed".

Deb's BBQ Sauce

In a large crock pot, dump in the following ingredients:

Melt 1 stick of salted butter (don't sub margarine because it'll separate and you'll have a greasy, watery mess to dump down the sink pig instead of bbq sauce) The original recipe called for two sticks of butter and I've made it that way successfully but I'm trying not to clog too many arteries these days so I cut it in half.

Add:

About 2/3 to 3/4 of a one pound bottle of catsup

Half a bag of brown sugar

2 tablespoons of tomato paste

Whip with a whisk until the butter is absorbed completely, then toss in:

2 or 3 tablespoons of white vinegar

3 or 4 tablespoons of yellow mustard

1/4 to 1/3 cup of worchestershire sauce

Liquid smoke to taste (I use mesquite flavored; about two or three tablespoons for a light smoke flavor, up to half a bottle for more smoky results)

One small onion very finely minced

Seasoning: (this part is to taste so you can get creative)

Several solid shakes of tabasco sauce if desired

Two or three teaspoons of red and black cracked pepper

A teaspoon or two of seasoned salt

A few shakes of garlic powder (or a couple teaspoons of finely minced fresh garlic)

A few dashes of paprika

Turn the crockpot on low and let it simmer for between 8 and 10 hours, stirring about every hour so it doesn't burn around the edges. Be prepared for a great deal of mouth watering while it cooks because the whole house smells heavenly. it'll cook down to a little more than half the original amount.

Stir it well every time you add a new ingredient and keep tasting til it pleases you. You may want to go back and add a little more brown sugar or mustard if it tastes too tart or too sweet. Keep in mind that this is "raw" so the flavor will be a little overwhelmingly tart from the vinegar and mustard to start with, but as it cooks down, the flavors will blend and the brown sugar does a carmelizing thing that's sooooooo robust tasting. The end result will taste slightly like baked beans in a spoon but once you put it on meat, it harmonizes into a sweet, mellow, and spicy flavor that enhances the taste of meat instead of overwhelming it.

It's excellent on burgers, hot dogs, ribs, chicken, and bratwurst, but I've also used it quite satisfactorily on pork chops and even a roasted turkey in the oven. Since it's mellow but not overpowering, it really brings out the best of the flavor of almost any meat.

Oh, one last thing about it. For some reason the flavor is *awesome* in the same meal as deviled eggs. If I make one, I always want the other one with it.

• Like 2

Oops. I forgot that I was going to post that picture of one of my yucca plants. This is a spearhead yucca. It's not a wooly one with the poodle puffs (those things are HUGE and wouldn't fit in a yard); this is a spiky plant with lavender threads on the edges of the thin leaves. The spears are pink in the spring and early summer while they bloom and then they transition to white with cotton boll type seed pods on them as the summer wears on. I have four of these in the front yard plus several other non-spearhead varieties that are broad leafed (they look more like agave or aloe plants) in either sage green, white and green striped, or bright green and two more of the striped ones in planters in the backyard that will go in the ground next spring.

post-329-0-42386400-1404588499_thumb.jpg

About that bbq sauce recipe.............I'll post it but bear in mind that this was written on the back of a grocery list over 35 years ago and was dictated from memory by the person I got it from. ...... I'm going to just post the way I make it which isn't much better because I don't measure things when I cook but I'll give some general values. This is definitely one of those recipes that is best when it's made by someone comfortable with experimenting in the kitchen because it's a lot of "dump in, stir, taste, tweak as needed".

Oh Deb, how wonderful to find a cook like me. I drive my family crazy because they constantly ask for recipes that only exist in my head and hands. I cook it "til it looks right" or "tastes right" or "smells right", etc.

My DD, DIL's and grandkiddos are bugging me to try to figure out some amounts that can be written down so they can have them. It's a daunting thought to me to try to figure that out. I cook by instinct.

I've been cooking dinner since I was around 9 or 10. My mother was a good cook but hated it so as soon as I was able to see over the edge of the stove, I was volunteered.

I laughed about the deviled eggs. I serve those with all my "guy" meals - as I call them. We have a lot of sports parties for my DH friends for all the seasonal playoffs and important games. I have a list of guy approved foods for those and deviled eggs and my homemade baked beans are always requested.

I have an awful lot of recipes I make up in my head because it's what I have in the fridge or pantry. THE BBQ sauce recipe I make (when I make it) is from DH's uncle that served in the Navy in the Panama Canal Zone as a cook, and he called it South Georgia - Panamanian BBQ Sauce.

I got my vanity and sink today!!! And since nothing has been easy with this whole sink thing...

Website showed stock (after waiting 5 weeks for it, and it even being taken off the site for a while). When we got there, they had a hard time finding it, it wasn't out on display or anything. Turns out it was part of the upcoming vanity event, had bright pink signs saying to hold for that, piled waaaay high up. But they let us get it anyway. And I better not go to Home Depot during that event, so I don't find anything I like better!! Got the faucet and light fixture too, so I'm ready for the guy to come finish. Hopefully he can make it soon.

We have a thrift store close to here that will buy your stuff. Super nice guy. We took a suv load of stuff up today, but hardly made a dent in our piles of stuff in the garage. We'll make another trip next weekend. I will be so happy when we can get everything cleaned out. It will help when the rooms get finished and we can move stuff back inside.

Then after all that fun, we all went to the movies. We might go to the movies once a year, maybe. Now that the kids are older, they'd rather go with friends. So this was a nice time. Then we went to the mall and ate (another rarity), then went to the Cookie Company and got cookies.

Tomorrow I plan to make a cake and maybe work on the walls a little more. Daddy is coming over to check on them, and see if I'm doing them okay. Then Sunday dinner at mama's.

I didn't get everything done I wanted to on this week off from work. I never do. But I'm pretty pleased with what I did get done.

• Like 1

:drive: Starting off on a road trip tomorrow. Mother and I will be heading to NE to see the kids. Her doctor said no more flying - so it will be a fun road trip. I'll be doing all the driving (1,700 miles one way) and I'm a night owl, so we will leave at the crack of noon. That way we will be ahead of the rush hour traffic, will be heading east as the sun sets behind us, and I can drive all night with no sun in my eyes, and an empty road ahead - my kind of travel! :queen:

• Like 4