What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I accomplished a lot on Monday, Tuesday I just didn't feel like doing anything.... I brought the Shenandoah upstairs on Monday. Yesterday I hauled it back downstairs. I'm frustrated !!! I hate the MDF ! Today, I won't get much done on the real house or my dollhouses. My Mother has a Dr. appt.this morning, I am dreading.

I have so many plans but just get frustrated really quickly lately.

I really need to figure out what house I want to work on, and get it started !

Of course, Barbara -- and Jeremy -- I think we've all been there (and, hopefully, back) a couple of times or so. Now that we're here on this forum, it looks as though things have taken a turn for the better for us, since, apparently, we now have some discretionary income to spend on this fabulous hobby!

Jeremy, I bet you would do a fantastic job bashing a Victorian farm house!!! I'm not a TV watcher but, is that show still on the air? If you contact the producers (or whomever the decision makers would be) and show them some of your outstanding work, maybe they'll even commission a model for you to build for them to use as a display! Gotta play the angles all the time, you know!

• Like 1

DH & I donned three layers of clothes each and took off into the world. Right off the bat we found the paint roller handle and two adjustable stools for the workshop. We also priced cement sealer and plywood panels, since the concrete should finish curing in another week or two and we can paint the workshop floor and then put up the plywood walls and stain them; but I want it warm enough to work with the windows open.

Holly, have you thought about staining the concrete rather than painting it? If the slab gets wet, the paint will separate, bubble and flake off. We had this problem with the basement floor. I don't think there is the same problem with stain, but it would be worth inquiring at the paint store.

• Like 1

The workshop is insulated, but most of what we have been looking at is actually stain. We have paint on the garage floor, which is holding up well. We'll definitely ask before we buy, since it will take three gallons to cover, whatever we get.

Mandy,

Thanks! I wouldn't even attempt to bash a house. Like the other two, I would probably just build it from the ground up. Season 2 was shot almost 3 years ago, and from what I have read, the following two seasons have been filmed in an old prison (or a set that looks like one). Even if I did find the right contact (the show is filmed less than 5 hours from here), my houses take a while to build. Knowing how the movie "Doc Hollywood" was filmed, the house may not even exist. At least one of the big houses in Doc Hollywood was just a flat façade. Local residents said the bricks, shadow lines and other details were just painted on and looked real, even close up.

I know I have to watch my budget closely, but I also need to keep my bike running, so I went ahead and ordered a new brake disc and calipers, along with the new rear tire. I have been putting it off for so long, that I haven't had rear brakes for almost a year. Not a major issue on a bike, but it's worth having, especially if I need to ride to Houston for job interviews.

Started cutting out my siding for the Orchid , finished priming the barn , did a little hand sewing and finally mastered the crocodile crochet stitch. :banana: My order from DHE came , got some really great deals on clearance items , and my GL kits got here today. John saw the travel trailer and decided it is his and tucked it away , guess I'll have to hide anything I don't want him to build. :D

• Like 1

Holy cow, Jeremy... ride to Houston for an interview? That's gonna be some commute from Gainsville. I presume you will relocate if it works out? I would agree that fixing your bike takes first priority!

Yes, I know only too well how long it takes to build a miniature house!!! But, if the show is a big enough success, the build could be a collector's item -- as in, worth even more than you'd think! I'm just dreaming here, but, hey, you never know!

• Like 1

I hear "bike' and I think bicycle.... :ohyeah:

I had a veeery long day, as all three kiddies for the AM cancelled (one of those cancellations did not surprise me to be honest). But boy it makes for a long day....

my poor minion.....

Holy cow, Jeremy... ride to Houston for an interview? That's gonna be some commute from Gainsville. I presume you will relocate if it works out? I would agree that fixing your bike takes first priority!

Yes, I know only too well how long it takes to build a miniature house!!! But, if the show is a big enough success, the build could be a collector's item -- as in, worth even more than you'd think! I'm just dreaming here, but, hey, you never know!

Yep. It takes about 14 hours if I only stop for fuel and meals. I doubt I'll get more than one interview over there, but if I do, I'll try to schedule them so I can get it done in one trip. My DW has wanted to relocate to Houston for a while now. She grew up Sugarland and still has family there, so it is looking likely if I don't find anything that pays worthwhile here. I just checked the airlines, and it looks like I would lose time, but save about 66% if I just ride the motorcycle. 45 to 68 mpg is one of the advantages to owning a bike.

Jeremy, I hope you know that if we're home you're always welcome to stop for the night with us, or at least I'll feed you.

Thanks Holly & Kathy! Since I would have to make the trip as quickly as possible, I would probably have to keep any visits brief, but I would love to meet up if its possible and if I get any interviews over there.

Any time you feel like making a detour to Chattanooga, you are welcome here as well -- I just don't want you to feel neglected because of the direction you happened to be traveling in!!!

• Like 1

I finally started receiving some of the goodies I got on eBay, and I must say that it's gonna be REALLY hard not to open one of the new house boxes! Hands down, it's gonna be the Gloucester. I've already got most of the wallpaper and the flooring, and quite a few pieces of furniture, too! Oh, and some lovely birch plywood to build a conservatory leading off the living room, with a deck above accessed from the bedroom through French doors. I even have a table and chairs for the deck! Got the birch 'cause I'll likely need to re-create the front wall since I want to put in a double front door, oh, and raise it up to the second story so as to create a basement with a little courtyard in front.

I have no idea what I will use on the outer walls, but that'll come. I'd love to use the Majestic Mansions Cambridge windows and doors, but they're very expensive! Just have to decide if they're worth it -- or, practice using mr new scroll saw and come up with my own design!

I absolutely promise myself that I will finish (finally) Fishy Frank's this weekend! Then I just have to shingle the Garfield, and that'll take me only... forever!!

Just exactly how terrible would it be if I started the Gloucester now??? Who must I answer to? Good question! I'll keep you all posted!

Just exactly how terrible would it be if I started the Gloucester now??? Who must I answer to? Good question! I'll keep you all posted!

Careful 'bout asking this crowd of enablers. There's no one here that will stop you. We'll have all your new kits opened and played with before you can sneeze 2 times.

• Like 3

Jeremy, you can stop long enough for food and take the weight off your bike saddle for a little bit.

There is a home & garden show in Mobile this weekend beginning tomorrow AND there is a Nepali restaurant in Mobile, Yak, which has some of our favorite cuisines (Indian and Tibetan) as well as some we haven't tried - yet; will let you know.

• Like 1

Selkie, I started laughing out loud when I read this last night just before falling asleep... and I'm still laughing!!! You nailed it perfectly! I'm not saying another word, and am I ever glad now that no one lives real close by!!! I'll make announcements AFTER the fact, but yeah, I'm gonna open a box this weekend :bigwink: Not that I need one, but my latest excuse is that I need room measurements so that I know where to set the windows. Works for me :yes:

I have been working on my Blog... I started it several years ago and it went crazy... I didnt understand it much then. Definatly not saying I have much more understanding but I am getting there.. There was a total of about 20 blogs. I am down to 2. I am combining all the posts on one blog.That wasy it will be much easier to find what your looking for... and using labels.!!!! I made a second blog for all the items I want to sell or trade. Im having problems figuring out how to add a link with my email address so people can contact me if they are interested, Ill eventually figure it out...

http://kellees-mini-kreations.blogspot.com/

In case you missed it, I posted on one of the paperclay forums a site ( http://www.dickblick.com/search/?q=paperclay&x=-742&y=-127&sp_cs=UTF-8 ) where I ordered Creative Paperclay for $7.99 for the 16 oz. package. Lots cheaper than anywhere else -- unless you opt for the Pearl Paperclay, which they also sell (but read the description where they state the differences). I'm expecting this clay to arrive today, so I can start playing with it -- I want to use it for a shingled roof for my caretaker's cottage. Oh, yeah, I forgot about that one -- it's in my head, but not on my list! Right now, the only REAL thing on my list (and in my head) is the Gloucester, but I MUST finish some other stuff to make room for it!

Thanks Sandy! I usually skirt by the south side of Chattanooga on my way to CI or to visit my sister in Scottsville, KY. I don't know when I'll head that way again, but I will definitely take a detour next time. BTW, the same goes for anyone who might travel through Florida. I live just a few miles East of I-75. If anyone traveling through North central Florida wants to take a break from the road, you're always welcome.

I'm taking the opportunity to post during the brief period when the Phenergan and Hydrocodone don't leave me slumped over a chair or other piece of furniture. My gut has been churning and burning all day. I can't afford to spend any more quality time hooked to an I.V., so I'm trying to nip this thing before it gets to that point again.

Sandy, Sandy, Sandy...You sound like me :) I am so thankful for this wonderful hobby. It is a gift during the best of times, it is a gift during the worst of times. It consumes us in ways others may think is crazy but I say is wonderful. Embrace every project you so desire. Who says you have to finish one to start another? Who makes the rules? You :) Follow the path wherever it may lead and don't look back.

• Like 4

Morgan,

I'm prepared for most weather conditions. I have plenty of leathers and a rain suit. The only thing I'm not prepared for is icy roads. It has been raining today, but it's almost 80 outside, so not bad riding weather.

This weekend is supposed to be around -5C, so I am going to take down the outdoor Xmas decorations. Plus, it's Canadians this weekend...GO TESSA AND SCOTT!!!!!

oh yes and I am teaching a co worker to skate on Sunday. Indoor ice. when you drop the kind of money figure skaters drop in skates, they do not go on outdoor ice.

• Like 1