What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Yes, MorningStar, we did raise them right! I used to tell people when my kids were little that I was a Mama bear -don't mess with my kids. I thought that was what you were gonna say, but Mama cat is close. Sorry you have had a rough life, but I think that makes some of us tougher when we've had more then our fair share of hard times and many of us have.

Vicki, if youo pass your cursor to the immediate right of your "MultiQuote" button at the bottom of your duplicate post, is there not a "Delete" button?

No, Holly. You're special. You have a delete button. None of the rest of us has one. Our options are

Report Blog This Edit MultiQuote Quote

:birthday: Holly, I hope you've had a fantastic day!

My husband and son have gone away for 8 days to help crew at 2 speedway meetings, so it's just me, my daughter and the fur & feathered babies at home. It's a lot too quiet for me, not quite sure how I'll adjust when my son moves out in February - I love a full house but also being able to have my own space and time. Today's goal is to clean up properly after Christmas and move my Magnolia things back out to the dining room and to crack on with it. Though having stayed up to the early hours of this morning playing games with my daughter a book and a nap might win out.

• Like 2

Yep. A lazy day. Until it's time to go see Daddy :) He's a character. We will have to discuss politics, although it's something I don't do. We wilk discuss coupons as he's become quite the shopper. And we will discuss how everyone he knows could live their life better. Believe it or not, we will also leave laughing and ready for more. My Dad is too funny.

I hope to work on my Buttercup later tonight. She has another mouse ready to come live there so I better get to finishing this thing. The Tennyson, next. I am also getting itchy fingers to make some character dolls. I have the supplies and keep putting it off. I guess I'm too afraid of becoming obsessed with another hobby :) I've made several polymer items, monkeys, a man in the moon and a little ragamuffin girl. I want to make half scale characters and maybe 1/4 scale.

So, in reading all of this last group of posts it is a bit creepy how many things I have in common with what was said. Does anyone ever feel that way? Like how the heck did they know?

So...this thing double posted and I can't delete either. Since there was something I forgot I wanted to say, I guess I will call this a PS :)

Re: Kids

I keep hearing 'raised right'. Please, allow me this soapbox. I am NOT going to discredit great parenting. Nothing compares to great parenting. However...it is a proven fact that we control ourselves. There are countless amazing parents out there whose children did not turn out well. Please, you did nothing wrong. It was your childs CHOICE. And for the countless amazing kids people think don't have a chance because of poor parenting, I know you get to decide who you are. Not your parents. Amazing kids deserve the credit for being amazing kids. Less than amazing kids, they chose who to be as well.

Kids are unbelievably important to me. For an old woman who has said, for years, 'If I had it to do over again' I have learned a valuable lesson. God decided I should do it over again. He handed me a toddler a few years ago and said 'ok, do it'. Hmmmm...it is very interesting. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and my son, the 80's and 90's. Now, over a decade later, I am raising a child again. Welcome to the real world, Morgan! Life ain't what you thought it was. And doing it over means the same thing as doing it the first time. It means one day at a time, doing your best.

Along with being given a child, I was given a job. To take a legal stance in protecting this child. That led to realizing the dangerous times children are living in and how the legal system is failing kidd, our hope for the future. And remember, I am NOT into politics. I work over 60 hours a week in a legal/political challenge where children are the victims and I want nothing more than to help them. In my opinion, miniatures are a connection to better times and most importantly, better times for children. Keeping this wonderful hobby alive is something I know is good for me AND kids and that is why I am here. It is my therapy because I know, when I do this, I am supporting a positive future for the youngest ones and a positive hobby for all of us. No study years from now will prove that miniatures cuased us harm :)

• Like 1

...in reading all of this last group of posts it is a bit creepy how many things I have in common with what was said. Does anyone ever feel that way? Like how the heck did they know?

I think it has a lot to do with what's in our personal histories that has drawn us to this fascination with the small. Not all of us feel equally drawn to discuss that part.

• Like 1

I think it has a lot to do with what's in our personal histories that has drawn us to this fascination with the small. Not all of us feel equally drawn to discuss that part.

I know, right? But for me, I see our similarities in interests are there. To see the similar backgrounds are there for whatever reason, always kind of surprises me. I tend to feel rather alone in my challenges and really appreciate knowing I am not.

If I have appeared intrusive to anyone here, ever, I apologize. That has never been my intention. I appreciate what each and every one of you share and certainly don't require knowledge of your real life to think you are all wonderful people.

Morgan,I mean no disrespect and don't mean to sound arrogant when I say that I raised my kids 'right'. Your assessment of is it very true-lots of great parents have children who turned out not so great and many no-accounts have wonderful children-we are individually responsible for ourselves and our actions,after a certain age,of course.

I just mean that unlike some parents in our society I feel like I actively did the best I could to make sure mine grew up to be as good and decent as they can be. I realize I'm very fortunate that they actually have-so far. Members of my own family did not do such a great job with giving their children a proper base,and the multiple DUIs,jail sentences,abundance of children that can't be afforded,multiple firings,multiple divorces among those offspring,etc. are evidence of it,to me. I still say if they'd had a stable childhood,they would have had more respect for themselves and respect for the law,morals,and ethics. Some day I may have to eat my words,but at this point my sons are very decent upstanding young men-whether my influence had any or all to do with it,I love them and am very grateful to God for them.

I totally admire you for raising and loving that little girl at this time in your life,as I know it isn't always easy.

As for revealing so much of ourselves,I think it goes back to the anonymity of the web,and also that here we all share a common hobby,so I know it makes me more forthcoming-perhaps too much,and for that I apologize if it bothers anyone. Just skip any post you see my avatar on. :D

Reading the last few posts, normally I'd keep my thoughts to myself, but I feel safe here. I feel I have nothing to hide and I want to share. I'm sure some of you probably wish I wouldn't. Maybe it opens up doors that you don't want open, to thoughts, and memories that you don't want, and for that, I apologize. It's not my intent. I think Morgan is right about something.. some of us share similar histories.. Not identical, but similar in some ways. The miniatures allow us to identify in different ways.. When we were children, we escaped the painful parts by playing with dolls, dollhouses, miniatures... by pretending we were someone else, somewhere else.. a princess, or a ballerina, or even a fairy godmother, who could change everything... and even did, even if for only a few hours..or maybe it helped someone we knew escape.. same way. Just my thoughts...

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

~morning

• Like 1

Re: raised right or wrong...

Good parenting vs bad parenting, my mother dragged me to church as a child and as a teen, I rebelled and put her through h-e-double hockey sticks. Pardon my expression, please. When I was in my late teens, I was a horrid child. Everyone said I'd end up in jail or worse, dead. Maybe what I went through as a young adult, and on into my 30s was my penance for what I put my mother through. She tried to raise me right. I failed her. But I grew up. I started in my 20s thinking about how I couldn't act like that, and I made changes. Started caring about everyone else instead of myself. Something Mom said about being selfless, instead of selfish. Still sticks with me..Is why I try to help others when and where I can. Now, I have the deepest sense of respect for my mother. But who I was then, isn't who I am now... some people have to be bad, to learn how to be good, if that makes sense. well, I think they do anyway. :( I apologize if that makes you all think I'm some sort of nut now.. But I had to share that because there's this vibe that just feels like y'all are uncomfortable now and I don't want it to be that way... so I thought if I shared my story maybe some how you'd see that even the best parents can have kids that might seem bad, but they turn out ok, in the end..or not....

~morning

I was most definitely stating nothing compares to great parenting! :)

Everyone, if I missed my point: I wanted people to know I recognize that kids don't always do great parents justice. I have a soft spot for parents who do it right and feel they failed and for kids with not so cool parents who make it in spite of them. I really enjoy how everyone here cares so much about kids. It's a point I admire. No disrespect meant! :)

• Like 2

holly~ I may love this forum and say it's perfect, but only near perfect is what it is. There is no way for us to bake a cake for you or sing hapoy birthday. Please know, I hate to cook, but if you were here, I would bake you a cake :) I can't sing, but if we got to have a party for you, I would pretend :) Happy, happy birthday and many more.

• Like 3

Happy Birthday, Holly. May you have mini more :) I don't always read this thread - must do so more often. I love to hear everyone sharing what's going on in their lives. It's nice to have a safe place to do that.

As for what I've been doing lately - CLEANING HOUSE! After the Spring Fling mess I jumped right into making my teacups for the craft shows before Christmas, and before I knew it I had the whole dining room cluttered with minis and crafts. And my office has the overflow! But I am happy to report that the dining room is almost back to normal. Tomorrow I'll take the last load out to my craft cottage (to be organized at a later date) and then start in on the office. One dollhouse is parked in the office because my Christmas Village is in its usual place. So NY's Day I'll put the village away, then get the dollhouse back out to the living room. Whew! It's a lot of work! I'll try to stop and take a picture of us moving the dollhouse down the hallway on my mother's walker! Where there's a wheel there's a way! It's 1:00 a.m. -- Goodnight :)

• Like 3

I am working on decluttering again.... I have a bite on one of my small dollhouses, a friend of ours did not know I built them. They want one for their daughter.... And he works with a few people that have daughters. So I'm hoping to find homes for a few of my rehabs. I gotta get started on them this week. My plan is at least one a month ! Mabe more if possible.

My youngest son is heading out this morning to coach a friend in wrestling. The oldest will more than likely be out in the shed all day building something or other. I will be cleaning up and getting Christmas decor taken down. I'm not sure about hubby, he's off this week, company shut down week, and bored out of his mind! he's been to every store in our area window shopping. LOL.

Kellee

• Like 1

Something must be wrong on my end of the forum, I can't quote anyone before I reply. I've tried several times with the same results. I see report, multiquote and quote but nothing else when I mouse over the lower right corner. Oh, and I see More reply options as I type this. Even my emoticons are limited.

When you click the emoticons it brings up a bar in the bottom of the screen, underneath that is a place to click "show all" which brings up another box with all of the emoticons in it. I have always had to click the "quote" button of whoever I want to quote then it brings up the regular posting box with the quote in it. Hope this helps :)