What's everyone working on?

THmini2

Tried my hand at paperclay walls today - er well - wall to be more specific. I'm not sure if its the same stuff that you all use because it took me ages finding it over here. Its called papier maché powder and I found it quite difficult to work with. It took me ages to make a wall on the side of a deck I have built for the Garfield. I had the deck on the dining room table and had to sit on the floor to do the walling so that I was at the right level and by the time I had finished my leg was dead and I nearly fell over when I got up. Looking forward to doing the long side of the deck tomorrow - not. Must find a better place to work.

Another glue disastor made me give it up for the day! I was trying to super glue the hinges to my store front door when the tube of glue just burst getting super glue all over me, the table, the parts.

Frustrating! I spent an hour with acetone or whatever that stuff is trying to get it off my skin! I am done for the day. :)

Welcome to the club. I spent 3 hours and 45 minutes yesterday UN-shingling two roof sections and two dormer roofs. Now why would she do that you might ask....because these instructions are WORTHLESS! I knew from the beginning that they didn't make sense, bouncing you back and forth between unrelated tasks (work on the floor, work on the chimney, work on the windows, shingle this but don't shingle that) UGGH! I followed their directions as much as possible, shingled everything but one of the gables...there are two different kinds of shingles and the fancy ones go on the gables.

Well, after two weeks of being away from the shingles, when they finally sent me back to them I realized that there weren't going to be enough shingles for the gable that they told me NOT to shingle along with the other roof parts (should have followed my own instincts and done them all at one time). Anywhodie, I got myself turned around and used the fancy shingles on the dormers and two of the roof parts by mistake, as it turns out they didn't want you to shingle that gable because the chimney is on that wall. WELL FOR PETE'S SAKE JUST SAY THAT! Something simple like, "line up your chimney and mark off where it's going to sit and SHINGLE UP TO THAT POINT". Sheesh!

Thankfully, I glue only the top edge of the shingles and not the bottom, so I was able to "lift and pop" most of them off without too much loss. Then had to sand all the glue off the pieces (thank God for the Dremel) and then re-glue everything back in their proper places. Can you tell how much I'm enjoying this monster right now? :p

I can't wait to see what lies beyond the next corner. :doh: I did however manage to get the outside walls painted and ready for assembly. Painted all the windows outside and inside and was ready to dry fit them into the walls when I realized that the framing for inside the windows doesn't fit. I have 9 windows and only one of them has framing that is even REMOTELY close to fitting. The other 8...sit on TOP of the window - not around the edges on the wall. Don't you just love mini-ing? Guess I'll be measuring and sanding - again.

I swear, I have a gun in the drawer, and this house doesn't know what kind of danger it's in! :D

I dragged the Beacon Hill out from under the bed. I was home alone, so it took me another 10 minutes to get it out of the shipping box. Then hubby came home, and offered to put it on the table for me. So there now it sits, staring at me. For some reason I am scared to death to start this house.

Time to open the box and start reading the instructions...

Got the chicken wire fence built for the coop, repainted the goat and "Charlie" and repainted some of the chickens. Then my eyeballs wore out! LOL! :p The next thing is to get the photo for the backdrop blown up to the right size--need 7X12, but the guy can only print out 8X10. Told me to bring the pics done and he'd play with it--tomorrow.

Thanks ladies for the doll comments. It wasn't easy crocheting around the teeny arms. lol

Last night S got tired of me whining about the door and he put the hinges on for me without the glue.

Before he knows it he will be building houses right along with me.......not! I am just happy I can move on now! I learned how to use my mini drill in the process! :yes:

Debra I love your chicken coop!

Just checked my order from HBS it should be here today!

I'm kind of at a standstill on the Victorian Cottage Jr I'm doing for a friend of mine. Everthing is primed, painted and the windows/door assembled, but she hasn't picked out the wallpaper yet so my building has come to a stop.

Although I didn't want to have two projects going at once, I think I'll start on the Artply Bobbie (now that I know the name of it - thank you!) that another friend found in her basement and gave to me. I'm finding that doing a little bit everyday on a house is really relaxing. I also think my husband is getting into my new hobby! He has started asking questions about what I'm doing and how it's going; I heard him tell a friend that I was building dollhouses and they were "really cool"; AND (drumroll) I got a shipment of some furniture and his only comment was "which house do you think you will use them in?"

Kirsten

Finished painting the exterior of the Garfield and paperclayed the long deck wall - just 2 short sides to go and then I can get the paints out again.

I really don't like the shutters on my willow, but they're hiding another person's siding mess, so considering covering it all with egg carton bricks. But that'll take a lot of cutting out bricks! :yes:

I finally finished the floor for my Fairfield's bathroom, so I've been working on the kitchen floor and the chandelier for the dining room. I can't wait to take progress pictures, but my new camera is waiting for me at my parents' house - fortunately, I'll be picking it up this weekend when my fiance and I visit to announce our engagement!

We're also going to be stopping at Earth & Tree on the way down, and I'm very excited for that! I think I want to get Houseworks interior doors for the Fairfield, I'm just not crazy about putting the punch-outs back in, nor having two bedrooms and a bathroom without doors! :yes:

It does really feel like progress is slowing now, though. I find myself not sure how to proceed sometimes - should I go ahead and prime and wallpaper? Should I prime and paint the ceiling? Should I put the flooring down on the second floor?

Decisions, decisions...and they're driving me crazy! LOL It's the perfectionist in me, I know; I keep worrying that I'm going to mess it up according to my vision...

I understand that. I'm working on backsplashes for the kitchen right now, and am on my second set of tiles, still not sure the size is right. And it took forever to pick them out, in the first place!

.... when my fiance and I visit to announce our engagement!....

Congratulations! :yes: I wish you much happiness together and very little stress in planning the wedding! Have you thought about a date yet?

I am seriously thinking about brick sidewalks. Just don't know if I want to make that many egg carton bricks! I'll paint baseboards and think about it a while!

Sherry,

Another option is to cut a piece of basswood to the size of the sidewalk, draw the mortar joints, then cut them out along the border of the lines with an exacto knife at a 45 degree angle. You should get "V" shaped grooves. Fill the grooves with mortar or grout, paint the "bricks" what ever color you like.

Congratulations! :yes: I wish you much happiness together and very little stress in planning the wedding! Have you thought about a date yet?

Thank you very much! He only *just* proposed this past Saturday, so no, no set date yet. That said, we are thinking late spring 2-3 years from now. Plenty of time to plan!

Jeremy, I thought about trying that. I'm just going to have to wait and see what I'm in the mood to try when I get to that point! Thanks for the suggestion.

I did get my backsplashes done last night, and a vent hood that the cat is laying on right now. If it's not squashed flat, I'll paint it today!

The basic shell of the Beacon Hill is drying. I don't know why I am draggin my heels so badly on this one. I think the electrical is throwing me off. There's walls that need to be wallpapered before assembly, but the tape doesn't need to be run until after... Those sorts of things are making me think too hard and slowing me down. I finally made myself stop thinking and start gluing. If tape doesn't end up where I need it, I'll run round wire. I don't do well where I have to think and plan ahead, where things aren't explicity spelled out for me. I'll figure it out though. I'm really excited though, now that the shell is built, and I can see it start to take shape!

Finished sanding all the edges of the walls in preparation for the dry fit. Waiting on one last corner post to dry so I can flip the base over and get my first fit underway. This thing is finally starting to look like a house. I'll put up some pics tomorrow once I get the walls in place. Meanwhile I need to figure out what kind of wallpaper I'm going to use and perhaps get that printed out tonight.

.....There's walls that need to be wallpapered before assembly, but the tape doesn't need to be run until after.....

This frustrates me too and causes lots of thinking and stalling.

I love reading what everyone is working on. Its like stopping to peek into everyone's workshop.

I crocheted two more tiny babydolls for my store last night just for something different.

I discovered I would like to put a clear window where the solid piece of the storefront goes in my Store.

I am looking around for ideas of what to put there now. I don't have a saw that can cut anything so I will probably have to go to the hardware and have them cut a scrap if they have one.

Have a fun miniday! :yes:

I am working on my very first Doll house... well actually it is a shop with an apartment above. It is called The Blue Cat Mercantile. It is a source for witchy/magical goods. I hope it turns out well. I didn't have any luan plywood or balsa wood so i got stuck using 1/4 inch chip board. It is so hard to find good materials without an income. At least we had this lying around. All I can say is I am grateful for trim.