What's everyone working on?

THmini2

I don't think it'll be much fun making 1:24 books, but it has to be done! what with the house having a library. Maybe my mag-eye-type viwor will work for this. Maybe I'll just make folding screens, instead...

Holly, if you're not looking to make one-of-a-king readable books, there are options. For the library in the 1:24 houseboat, I bought the cheap 1:12 books and used my handy dandy Easy Cutter to chop them down to size.

12 large books (7/8"H x 9/16"W x 3/16"D) for $2.25 at HBS

12 small books (3/4"H x 1/2 W x 1/8"D) for $2.25 at HBS

You could also make the books out of polyclay ... don't even need to make full books if you do a row of spines and glue to a block.

I'm leaning towards the wooden block books and the polyclay; I printed off the printies from Jim's site before I realized what a PIA my cataracts will make it! Mega thanks for reminding me of those sources, Kathie; I'd completely forgotten the floating frog mansion had a library! B) :lol:

Finally I have something to show you all. Dwarf Orange trees...the larger one has 180 leaves and the smaller one has over 130 leaves...hope you like them.

post-72-1271695395_thumb.jpg

I decided to go ahead with the 1:24 book printies, juat to see (HA!) if I could do it. So far I've lost two of the single books and a whole strip ofsingle books. After carefully gluing the sets onto individual strips of wood I got "smart" and figured out how to glue a row of sets (the same height) onto one strip. For my next trick I'll be gluing them onto the shelves in the library.

Shelly, honey, I hope those dwarf orange trees are 1:12 scale! They're totally awesome, and just the thing for a well-appointed conservatory, IMO.

Beautiful orange trees Shelly!

Holly, I know how hard it is to work with those dang little books! I gave up on individual ones and used printies that you can print out several books in a row. Its not as detailed but even then I had a heck of a time trying to glue those teeny tiny tabs together!

Same for all the printies houses in my store. I have so much arthritis and carpel kicked up from working on them but I love that they work to fill in the spaces.

I just posted pics in the gallery of my completed Dollhouse store if you would like to take a peek.

I have been waiting for the pictures and I can only say that it is totally awesome and wonderful Roxy!! Everything is placed so perfectly and the lettering on the windows is perfect. Love it - wonderful job!

Kirsten

Finally I have something to show you all. Dwarf Orange trees...the larger one has 180 leaves and the smaller one has over 130 leaves...hope you like them.

post-72-1271695395_thumb.jpg

Beautiful! I wish I could do something like that!

Kirsten

Oh, well done, Roxie! I love the little dollies sitting between the dhs and the Michael's hutch display cabinet. It all turned out SO well! Give yourself a standing ovation! :groucho: You must have posted when I did, I cut off the teensy tabs and glued the flaps of the printies to the six sides of the really itty bitty blocks of wood I cut to fit. I'm still cutting out the individdle little single books to glue into messy stacks to "put about" here & there. 5 really like Kathie's suggestions & that's the next thing.

Roxy, your store turned out wonderful, I like the name too.

Shelly the Dwarf Orange trees are to bite directly, and what a great job you did on them.

I'm still working at my Westville, in the past I have learned that when you get a rehab which is badly done, mostly you have to take out everything to get things right. Well I was so stupid to leave the staircase in. And guess what it's out now, and it really had to be remade, which I have done now, only have to let it dry and can finished it. And I finally can also wallpaper the wall behind the staircase. I also have took out the closet because it will become a shop and needed that space for shelfs.

Sometimes I truly wonder why reading is so hard for people :groucho: . I hadn't one dollhouse in the rehab made by reading and following the instructions. They all have made the classic mistakes by not reading.

I don't have to go to work until afternoon, so I am finishing my second staircase and redoing an old wardrobe for the bedroom. It had good bones, but what started out as a fairly classic style was ruined when they stuck a gratuitous piece of colonial trim on the top. So it spent yesterday in the freezer/part removal machine, and got sanded last night. I just have to decide on handles for it now, and make goodies to fill it.

The trees are really cute, but I still think your flowers are just incredible!

I am going to have to get ready to go to work, but I got quite a bit done. The 2nd staircase is done, the wardrobe, a final coat of paint on the living room and bedroom ceilings, windows, doors, and baseboards in the LR. And I have a crick in my neck from painting ceilings, can't imagine doing that for a living!

I am just dieing to get down to my craft room and do some work on my Beacon Hill!!! RL has been getting in the way lately, planning a move trying to get the RL house ready for sale and my husband packed and ready to start his new job.

I teach dance classes in my spare time and have been busy planning the big year end recital in amongst all of the other RL stuff going on right now, and I'm exhausted, thank goodness the recital is this weekend because I am really looking forward to getting down to my craft room on Sunday to get some much needed quality time in with my dollhouse.

My daughter has been busy working on getting her furniture built for her Coventry Cottage and I have to say she is doing a wonderful job, I will post pics of her progress very soon.

Okay, something truly mini for a change. I cut out the skirt, train, and sleeves to an 1890's wedding dress. The bodice pattern looks a little large, so I'm going play with it a bit. As soon as there are pictures of anything worth looking at, I'll post it. For the moment its just some small scraps of cream fabric, but its a start!

Thanks everyone for you very nice comments on my little store! I really had fun making it and so many people gave me great suggestions and encouragement! :groucho: to y'all!

Just finished the first floor, and part of the second floor, wallpaper on the Victorian Cottage Jr; glued the first floor to the side walls and the second floor is glued too. Taped and waiting to dry! Foundation prepped and dryfitted to the house.

Having a terrible time with the wallpaper - keep trying the wallpaper paste but it just bubbles and looks awful. The Aleene's tacky glue stick works the best for me ( recommended by several of you - thank you!) but I'm going through the glue sticks like there is no tomorrow. I'm clearly doing something wrong (!) but at least I have my glue sticks!

Kirsten

Be wallpapering my Westville now, but have no problems, I always used special wallpaper glue and no problem at all. But it's important that you wait a few minuts when your wallpaper is wet, it became wider, when you glue it directly you get bubbles. When you wait a minut or five the wallpaper is a lot wider, but when it dried it became smaller and your bubbles are away.

I hope that I can finish my wallpapering today.

Kirsten, I have mentioned them before but I found the Tacky Glue Stick to be the best ever for wallpapering. I get it at Michaels and its in a triangle shape just so you know what you are looking for.

It applies easy and I have never yet had a problem with any kind of wallpaper, scrapbook paper or even my own printed wallpaper on cardstock using this glue stick.

I found a whole bag of different colors of tatting thread yesterday at one of our thrift stores that is cooperating with being crocheted MUCH better than the embroidery floss and I've begun the last "stained-glass" afghan for a while.

If we're going to be home for today I'm going to play with making rows of 1:24 books and possibly the screens and beds for the servants' attic quarters.

Working in my little "inbetween" project just for the heck of it. Does anyone know if you can sand and spackle the edges of foamboard to make it look smoother after you cut it out? Oh Queen of Spackle?