New Here; Mini Mania is "All in the family" around here

Jeffrey

Hi, my name is Jeff; I’m 18, and I’m a senior in high school. Next year I am going to Berkeley College for interior Design.

I guess the mini mania all started when I was about 3. My Oma's 6 Room, electrified dollhouse built by her father when she was little was passed down to my mother and aunt and then to my cousin and then to me and my little sister. Never any furniture, or dolls in it but it was always at her house and I managed to have fun with it along with my uncles toy soldiers, plastic farm animals, and tinker toys.

Unlike Oma, whose dollhouse was merely a childhood toy, my Grandma was a mini maniac! The first thing that comes to mind about her was her dollhouse. Actually 2 bookcases stacked on top of each other but beautifully finished, her dollhouse was “not for playing with, but for looking!” But that was only the beginning! In her basement is another bookcase dollhouse, not to mention all the random plastic ones we actually were allowed to play with, but none ever had any dolls or furniture. She also had what I believe to have been an Artply Allison though I’m not sure. It was empty too.

The little tykes dollhouse with the blue roof was the first one from grandma that actually had all its furniture, accessories, and dolls to go inside it. It was really for my sister to play with but I think I enjoyed it more just setting all the furniture up and then rearranging.

When my sister turned 4 she got a vintage 1970s Lundby with a ton of furniture, none of which actually belonged with it. Recently I have been working to get that completed with its appropriate furniture.

Back to Oma…its several years later and she is remarried and my new Step-grandfather had an Artply Rutherford kit in his basement because his first wife had ordered it before she died. I was about 12 when I found that he was going to get rid of it and I asked if I could build it and he said yes. So I had been working on this dollhouse for about 2 years before I put it in the attic to collect dust and wait for the day I came back and finish it. He also had the Artply Worthington and Bobbi. A few years after I got the Rutherford I got the other two. The Bobbi (which he completed) traded hands and went to grandma; I think she gave it away. Now I’m working on finishing the Rutherford and the Worthington is still in its box.

Time to switch back to grandma again! Grandma recently passed down her general store to me which she made from scratch. I liked the idea of a doll store and grandma and I made a bakery, ice cream parlor, photographer shop, and now I am working on a pizza shop.

I think that covers every dollhouse that has passed through my life except for one but I will write about it another time. I will post pictures of all of these soon too so you have some visuals of my family’s handiwork.

:ohyeah:

Hi Jeff, and welcome to the community!

Wow, it sounds like you're descended from a veritable miniature dynasty! I look forward to seeing your photos! :ohyeah:

:ohyeah: to the forum, Jeff, you have excellent antecedents to enter this hobby and it will certainly stand you in good stead in your chosen field. One of my favorite mini-architects is Mark Turpin! I'm also looking forward to pictures and to sharing information.

Hello Jeff!!! It certainly seems like you have a good head start into the world of miniatures. Plus with your interest in interior design, you are a natural!! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

And it is nice to finally have someone who is close to my age on this forum. I just turned 25, and I was beginning to think I was by myself in the age category!!

But you ones that are older than 25, that just means you have a lot more life experience than me :ohyeah:

Hi and :ohyeah: Jeff! I'm glad you introduced yourself. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures as well. Thanks for sharing the stories of your history with dollhouses.

:lol:

Carrie

Welcome to the forum!

I soo enjoyed my visit to your Oma's dollhouse

how lucky for you to have such a talented person to watch as you were growing up!

glad you found us.

Did she pass on her love of minis to anyone else?

:wave: nutti