Has anyone had a splinter problem with their house

Brenb

I received a Beacon Hill house from friends of ours, they had openned and and decided their patience level wasn't up for it, so thinking mine was, they gave it to me. this is my first "kit" house that I've made, all the others I have built from my imagination. This kit was openned, but as I was contructing the house I had found a few things missing and is it normal that the wood splinter up and crack in half while punching it through? It's like they weren't cut right or is it me. Although I have assembled the house, I've had to construct several parts due to wood quaility or it being missing all together. So my Beacon hill is different than the ones I've seen here. That is ok with me, I have also named it the "Splinter House". Am I the only one with this problem? :ph34r:

I have the beacon too, my main problem was warping. The only time i got some splinters is when i was punching things out. Love to see pics of your progress. I too changed mine to make a bigger kitchen. I have not worked much on it lately, i have to get alot of things before i can move ahead any further.

Jenn

I've had a few kits that have had splintering problems. You can use sanding sealer on the sheets before you punch the pieces out to help keep the wood together a little better. It also helps to run a box cutter or x-acto blade along the cuts to make sure the wood is cut all the way through. There may still be some splintering that way, but hopefully not as bad.

I used the exacto-knife approach on my Garfield -- even though the parts were "pressed" into the wood panels, I still cut them out. And still got splinters. Lots of sanding, being careful to note which way the grain was lying, helped. And a couple of sharp needles to extract the splinters from my hands.... :ph34r:

get splinters dealing with any wood :ph34r: ;) I was working with my daughter making her Cardboard dollhouse (they were able to color it themselves and everything) and I got Papercuts :)

I guess it's the nature of the beast (It all depends on which beast you are working on at the time paper or wood :lol: )

I'd love to see your Beacon Hill!!! What colors did you use? is it furnished too (You can tell I want some eye candy) I simply LOVE that house. One of my least favorite things is painting trim and that house has a lot of trim on it to sand & paint but I know that is what makes it look so nice.

I used an exacto knife too cause a friend of mine who's building model ships told me to better do so. My kit splintered a bit but not too bad. And after painting the parts you hardly see anything...Only one of the gingerbread roof pieces got broke while punching it out but I could glue it. And it was my fault cause in the end I got a bit lazy with usind the knife... :ph34r:

is it normal that the wood splinter up and crack in half while punching it through?
It is if the wood has dried out. Wood glue, masking tape and clamps will repair it good as new.

sanding sealer on the sheets before you punch the pieces out to help keep the wood together a little better

If you're going to stain, make sure you do those pieces before you apply the sanding sealer.

It also helps to run a box cutter or x-acto blade along the cuts to make sure the wood is cut all the way through.

I use a Stanley utility knife and keep lots of new, sharp blades in the handle!

The splinters don't bother me at all, I've been a woodworker for 30 years now so I've had my share and I'm sure I'm not done getting them, lol, I've gone through several x-ackto knives.

I've painted it a medium taupe trimmed in Country Twill and Linen, windows are stained in Mahogany. I've removed the entire staircase after building it, lol. Took up too much room or I have too much furniture for it. I have furnished it, but all the little details are being done as I go or as I find something cool for it. I got to a point of frustration with it so I had to do something on a larger scale and I completely redid my bathroom/laundry room. So now I'll put more time in the splinter house, I'll post some pictures if you all promise not to laugh.

:thumb:

Hi, Brenda and welcome to the forum! We don't laugh at pictures here . . . we only drool over them!! :)

As far as splinters go, I've had my share. Especially with the older kits where the wood has dried out. Not fun!

I've also got a Beacon Hill and it's my favorite house. For the most part it's done except, like you, for the small accessories and one-of-a-kind-have-to-haves! ;) I just added on a conservatory too. I don't think I'll ever be done with this house! :thumb: Hubby calls it my 'money pit'! :p

Hi Brenda,

Nothing new to add here just adding another voice to the chorus, as it were. I've been really lucky so far - and the only kits I've had splinter problems with up till now are the older kits - especially if the've been stored badly! My Tiffani sometimes seemed like one big splinter! But it was an old kit - stored in a barn. Even with all the splinters (and the trim I had to replace) it turned out great :p At least I"m happy with it :thumb:

Anyway those are the only times I've had splinter problems so far <knock on wood>. But I'm really glad to read all the tips about how to handle old wood and splintery pieces :)

-David

I have had some serious splinter problems with my willowcrest kit. I have come to find that the older the kit the worst luck you have with wood splitting and splinters. This obviously makes sense because the wood is a lot dryer the older it gets! I have found a good trick is to stain some of those really brittle pieces before you punch them out, this makes the wood not as dry.

I have the beacon too, my main problem was warping. The only time i got some splinters is when i was punching things out. Love to see pics of your progress. I too changed mine to make a bigger kitchen. I have not worked much on it lately, i have to get alot of things before i can move ahead any further.

Jenn

The warping was awful with my BH and the splinters I got were a nightmare. I got so annoyed I still haven't got some parts right. Have you got any more pics of your BH? Mine is almost done. :yikes:

All diecut kits I've seen have splintering problems, Dura-Craft seem to be the worst though, their wood was really hard and brittle and splinters like mad, and the splinters are like needles, much worse than Greenleaf or Corona. :down:

I promise NOT to laugh.......I want eye candy so I won't laugh. Nope, not me for certain .

What she said!!!! We just love seeing how others work with their houses for sure and it is a feast for the eye to be able to see it as well reading abou it so yes please to pics!!!

ANd you know, after having had a look at the pics, there is definitley no laughing going on, just a bunch of ohhh:s and ahhh:s :D

Hugs