So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

The weather is so fickle. Two days ago we had temps of -6 degrees then yesterday it got up to 54 degrees (which is unusually warm this time of year)and rain all day, then snow overnight and now today we are starting at 5 degrees. If nothing else, at least we are getting variety :)

I use to live in SW Virginia Cynthia, I do remember it going down to -10 a couple of times a few years ago.....our little heatpumps couldn't begin to warm us up and the houses there aren't as well insulted.

Its always very cold here up at this altitude of almost 8,000 ft above sea level. Nights in the high desert generally hit the 0 mark and below.

I always wonder how the animals outside can stand the cold and where do they go?

Last year we hit -30 a couple of times.........they don't close schools or anything I can't remember a "snow" day here either.

The cold temps at higher elevations was the one thing we hadn't thought of when we took our 50th anniversary trip down Skyline Drive and the Blueridge parkway this past August. We learned that out poncho liners weren't cutting it and we rolled up in our lovely down sleeping bags like cocoons at night and awoke to a faceful of icy cold water because the cots touched the tent;s sides and wicked the dew into the inside and all over the surfaces of our sleeping bags!

BTW, here in the Gulf Coast today it's sunny and COLD!!

• Like 1

Ugh, Stacey. I didn't want to hear about the dripping water freezing. Am concerned about our Missouri house. A friend went in and turned on all of the taps, but she's the same friend who didn't notice the broken water pipe last spring, so I'm a tad anxious.

Chilly here, but nowhere close to what everyone else is experiencing. The perpetual puddle outside the condo had a skim of ice this morning. That was unusual. :D

Hope your water didn't freeze Kathie , how can you not notice a broken water pipe , lol. We've had that happen too , what a mess ! Luckily I had some jugs of water on hand , hoping it thaws out soon.

This morning it was 22 with a wind chill of 8, but it "warmed" up to 44 this afternoon. On the upside, the sky is a near perfect blue and sunny. Better yet, the forecast for the rest of the week is mostly in the mid- 70's.

Everyone else try to stay warm.

I've been watching our news reports about the "Polar Vortex" and reading this thread makes it seem all the more real. I have no comprehension of what many of you are going through but you are all in my thoughts and prayers and it is my heart felt prayer that you all stay safe and warm.

• Like 2

It ended up to be really decent this afternoon and tomorrow 40!!! I agree, the people who have to work outside in these extreme conditions I really feel badly for them.

I even feel more badly for the pets and other animals that humans forget suffer too! They leave them outside at night in sub zero temperatures. I think anyone who leaves their animals out should be sentenced to stay outside all night and let them see what it feels like!!!!!!
Ok I am stepping down off my soap box now!!!

• Like 1

I am glad you aren't stuck in a snowbank Stacey! I just had to come in here to see where our friend Kat is...........yoo hoo Kat........where are you????? :huh:

Its pretty nice here for January in the southern Rockies.....40 and sunny! I took my afternoon walk with Diesel...he is so lazy he went half way and then cut back through the sage and was sitting by the garage waiting for me......silly dog!

That soup looks good Kathie! :yum: I have to go make meatballs see ya!

• Like 1