So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

My heart goes out to the children who spent the night at school or in a school bus. Saw a snippet of news that said the Ga. governor has sent out the National Guard on rescue duty.

The last of the buses delivered children to a local fire station at about 10 am this morning. And there are still lots of kids and teachers in schools. They did deploy the national guard about midnight last night. There are people just now getting home after 24+ hours. But there also have been lots of stories of people going out and delivering hot chocolate, food, water, and formula to stranded people. People were posting on FB where people were that needed help (pregnant, elderly, etc), and others were posting offering shelter. It was nice seeing everyone being caring and helpful.

Kay I hope your headache gets better, and Holly, I hope your arthritis doesn't pain you too much. I didn't think to cover the car and it is under about 3 inches of snow and ice. Our temp won't get over freezing today so I guess this mess will be around awhile. I was lucky that both my son and daughter were off work during this, but my son is supposed to go in at 9:00 in the morning, not too sure that's going to happen. It would be great weather for working on minis if there wasn't so much snow and ice between the house and my shop, it's also too cold out there even with the little heater. Everyone stay safe!!!!

• Like 2

There were no icicles on our Bahama shutters on the east and south sides of the house; the icicles on the west and north sides are still very much there. 1/4" of ice has my car sealed. Area schools will remain closed through tomorrow, and the emergency preparedness folks are requesting that shops and stores close through tomorrow to keep their employees off the roads. Our driveway is dry except next to the left (west) side of my car there are two icy patches and the white frost is finally gbeginning to go away. Temps are forecast to go into the high 60Fs this weekend.

We usually get mostly ice here, this is rare for the amount of actual snow. Roads are icy a bit, and I'm sure will be worse tomorrow after things melt and refreeze. We have one icy spot on the driveway that Lawson found (ouch!).

I've checked on Anslee, and she said they are just wet, not really any ice or snow there in Valdosta. They had anticipated the possibility of ice and snow, and had closed things last night and today, but glad she is good and safe.

Holly, we will also be in the 60s again this weekend. Hard to believe 2 days ago we were at 60!

• Like 1

My head and neck were hurting earlier at work and I'm still feeling the achy effects of that jarring fall yesterday all over my lower body-still so very grateful nothing was broken!I am used to taking off at a fast clip everywhere I go,so walking very gingerly at a snail's pace up and down slick steps and across iced up grass is very aggravating. But,it only took that one fall for me to learn!Haha! We are getting some sunlight in the west windows as I write,but there is still plenty of ice on the lawn and vehicles. Geez,I feel for anyone who lives in this on a regular basis!! Take care and stay warm,everyone!

Oh,Hope Lawson fares better than me,Tracy,the poor guy!

Edited by kat57

My head and neck were hurting earlier at work and I'm still feeling the achy effects of that jarring fall yesterday all over my lower body-still so very grateful nothing was broken!I am used to taking off at a fast clip everywhere I go,so walking very gingerly at a snail's pace up and down slick steps and across iced up grass is very aggravating. But,it only took that one fall for me to learn!Haha! We are getting some sunlight in the west windows as I write,but there is still plenty of ice on the lawn and vehicles. Geez,I feel for anyone who lives in this on a regular basis!! Take care and stay warm,everyone!

Oh,Hope Lawson fares better than me,Tracy,the poor guy!

Poor Kat, hope you keep getting better. Falling is no fun!

Lawson is okay, just got a slightly bloody knee. :(

• Like 1

We've had highway and bridge closures due to ice that has finally begun to melt. High today into the 40Fs and on into the high 60Fs tomorrow & the weekend, with rain by Sunday. Anna, I have thought of y'all over there in Sweden, hoping you were safe & warm.

Thank you Holly, over here it sureh as been a winter spell and witht he below freezing temps we are having along with the strong winds I for one am longing for spring (and a spell of sun and warmth while visiting Cuba n a week or so...)

Hugs

It was 12 degrees this morning and everything was still snow and ice. My son had to call out of work, hate that he lost the hours, but better to be safe. The sun did come out and we got into the low 40's, so we had lots of melting. Still have patches but the worst is over. It will be back in the 20's tonight but temps will start rising and we will get back in the 60's. Of course, this means everyone is now going to get sick from the yo yo weather!

You betcha we got ice,so muuuch ice! Yikes,I could go without ever seeing ice-even in a glass-ever again!! LOL And I'm still a bit sore from my tumble that first icy day! Can't wait for our 'warm' weekend!:D

Hi Girls. have just been reading your comments and I must say we keep in touch with a family in Penn State. We stayed with them for 3 weeks and loved every minute of the 4 inches of snow that we had.... it was Great for a holiday... not sure about living in it. We often send our prayers over to you. It`s a pity we couldn`t send a little of our heat over to you (100 Degrees give or take) Blessings to you all. Dianne A. from down under

• Like 1

Whoa,Holly,are you just getting up,as I am just headed to bed?!lol But,yeah,the 1/4" ice encrusted vehicle drive was not fun,especially when the dirt road I went down instead of taking the paved road to work 'crunched' the whole way! I'm so glad this isn't regular for us. I was just reading about how some non-Southerners are laughing at us for 'overreacting' to it.Well,when I slipped on ice and slammed the back of my head hard that first bad day,I sure wasn't laughing! :furious: How dare anyone be so callous!

Dianne,please be a dear and sweat a little for me would you?!lol I mean,I actually cannot wait to feel that first little trickle running down my back!!!haha Remind me I said that when July rolls around!:D

• Like 1

No, Kat, I'm up waiting for Arthur (the Itis boy that plagues me worse than Bursie) to calm down so I can go crawl back in my warm little bed & go back to sleep.

Dianne, it's the ice that's a problem for us in the southern US; besides not being used toit we aren't prepared for it, since it's so rare.

• Like 1

I had to post that its CLOUDY and kind of dark out this morning.....now there's a change!!! I have a sinus headache so I guess its going to rain or something its too mild for snow. And this is January in the northern New Mexico Rockies???????? Strange!

I was listening to CBC Radio this morning, and they had a guy from Environment Canada on. It was the second coldest December, and while January did not set spectacular records for cold, it did have the most days below -25C in ten years, and Dec/Jan combined make for the second coldest winter on record.

......and we still have Feb. and most of March to go......

:cold:

[quote name="kat57" post="558

I was just reading about how some non-Southerners are laughing at us for 'overreacting' to it.Well,when I slipped on ice and slammed the back of my head hard that first bad day,I sure wasn't laughing! :furious: How dare anyone be so callous.

Well, in a few months there will be heat waves again, and those folks who think 75 degrees is summer, will get a reverse dose of what we just got. They are not used to the extreme heat anymore than us to the extreme cold.

• Like 1

Oh,I know,Paula,and the revenge will be so sweet! :wicked:

I don't ever wear shorts in public and rarely at home-just a thing I can't get past about my legs-but this year,just as soon as it gets warm enough,I am going to go get myself the prettiest pair I can find!haha

• Like 1

I must admit, I am kinda giggling at the plight of the snowbirds.....who are finding to their dismay that winter has followed them down to their chosen nests (mean of me, I know) However, I do hope they have brought their winter driving skills with them. Perhaps they can open winter driving schools?