So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

Well below freezing here and windy which means that the snow on the ground has a slight tendency to drift across the roads....

Counting down to vacation time...

Hugs

Well Roxy- if I could send you some of this snow - I WOULD! It looks very pretty today, but is bitter cold and rather blustery again. I am just glad we only got 7" and not the 12-14" like my kids got in Philly! Got the little heaters put in the basement again to ward off a repeat of frozen water pipes. It worked!

You all probably already read about my adventure in the snow this morning on my way to work: turned at the traffic light to go into my work and the car did a donut! :o Thankfully no other cars were around me, and I was able to keep the car in the roadway (as opposed to careening onto the sidewalk) so when the car stopped I simply turned around the right way and off I drove. :)

There is more cold weather coming over the next week, with several days of snow/flurries possible. Blargh.

• Like 1

Jackie,I am so glad you are safe! No matter the weather,that is what matters-we here now all have roofs over our heads,of some kind. And in the worst scenario that we can imagine,someone else is sooo much worse off! I can't help but be preachy about this-it isn't that I don't care-I stay cold alll the time anymore. But we really are fortunate,if we are sitting here in front of our computer screens,don'tcha think?! Hugs to all!

• Like 1

The heat has not kicked off at our house. One of DS#3's best friends is a homeless man who lives out in the woods off of a major highway, 'way back in, and these are the weather conditions I worry about him. He doesn't stay in the shelters because so much violent bullying and theft goes on in them and he's tired of being victimized. I crochet and knit afghans to keep my osteoarthritic fingers flexible and every few years I cull the ones I've made to give DS to distribute to all his homeless friends. At least I know his friend will get good, hot meals; DS cooks for anybody who drops in.

It is snowing. In Atlanta. A lot.

I am on the south side, somehow Mother Nature drew a line through the middle of the city, and the north side usually gets a fair amount, south not as much, and of course, the N Ga mountains, a lot.

Every once in a while, the south will get more. This is the 2nd time I remember that. Or so they thought...

They've been saying for 2 days the south side would get much snow (1-3"), north of that not as much. And that it would start late afternoon or evening. Well last night and this morning that line kept moving north, while the time moved up. Our county was the northern-most county in the original line, and the decision to cancel school was made last night, with staff reporting. They met this AM and sent us home before 11am. It was sleeting when I left. Other counties stayed open, or planned early releases. As I was heading home, I heard more of those early releases. But not all counties did.

Well, now there is a big mess. All the roads are jammed, even north where there wasn't supposed to be much. There are hundreds of accidents, I have seen pictures of 2 involving school buses. And so far 2 schools in the further north have turned their buses back and are prepared to keep kids at the school overnight if needed. Wow, really? I am thankful for my admins in my system, and I hope everyone else is warm and safe.

And I know y'all in the north are laughing now... We are up to about 1 1/2-2" so far, in about 3 hours.

Tracy, our snow is due tonight. DH put the cover back over my little azalea (our failure to do so last year meant all her buds froze and she didn't bloom at all) and reported some ice already on her. Not raining at present, but the sky is totally and uniformly gray. I have comfort food ingredients assembled in the kitchen to cook for supper later on.

Well,I had my first ever ice related fall! I was coming home early,since the nighttime caretaker decided to come on ahead of the weather. Since my boss lady has a smooth terracotta tiled porch that can be slippery even when dry, I thought I'd be smart and exit down the plywood wheelchair ramp. Ha! Half way down I lost my footing and landed hard on my bum and the back of my head-which was padded some by my jacket hood,thankfully.

Lying there stunned for a minute-that is when I saw the ice all over the ramp. Yikes! I picked up myself and my dignity,stuck my head in to warn the other caretaker and slowly made it home with ice on the car windows. It's a short ride normally,but I took the long way home down a dirt road-which still 'crunched' as I drove down it! Wow! It's sleeting nonstop here and we have 5" icicles hanging off the porch roof. My sweet son got off work early and had the whole place warm and toasty,with a big pot of coffee brewing! :) One hot,hot shower later,my head hurts a bit,but I think I'll survive!LOL Everybody stay warm and safe!

• Like 1

Wow, Tracy, what a mess for the kids. I think every school district in Louisiana was closed today. With this kind of weather such a rarity, I'm sure the powers that be were white knuckling it as they made the decisions to close or not to close. TV reporters are doing live reports from areas of the city that resemble ghost towns -- no people, no vehicles.

Holly, I just got up from a nap. Am glad to hear that it was prompted by the weather. :D

Oh yikes Kat, glad you're okay! Ice falls are scary.

Kathie, usually schools up here close readily too, this was weird. They just predicted that line all wrong. I know I wouldn't want to make that decision. School closed a couple weeks ago for a day (2 for staff) too because of wind chills, so that made them extra hesitant about closing and losing more days. Here in our county they already shortened the school year by 5 days and furloughed the employees those days, so this puts them in a bind. I work at the Central Office, and my boss is one of the senior staff that do the deciding. They have had long meetings the last 2 days, with another planned for tomorrow...

• Like 1

On last evening's news all the schools from the MS state line East as far as Okaloosa County in FL (as far as our local stations cover) and government offices are closing today and tomorrow, and then we'll see. Jeremy, please be extremely caareful on the road, although I don't think y'all are due for the ice & sleet. Our vehicles and the woods next door are wearing coats of ice. Kat, stay warm. Kathie, I almost always have to take a nap when the weeather gets funky, to shed the headache.

• Like 1

Wow, it is a mess here in Atlanta. Oh my. I am so thankful that our school system admins made the decision yesterday to close school today, and then sent staff home very early today before anything started. It snowed for 8 hours straight at my house, and I have at least 3", which is a lot here. Thankfully all my family are good and home and safe.

As of now there are still people stuck in traffic, and children stuck in schools. I've heard reports of over 8 hours to get home, and it took my BIL's brother 6 hours to get his daughter from school. There were also school buses stranded with children even up to 2 hours ago (10pm), not sure if those are still out there. :( 940 accidents since 10am.

We are dropping into the teens tonight, and tomorrow will not get above freezing, so it will be around for a while. Please send good thoughts our way.

Kathie, Holly, Kat, and Paula, and everyone else who is getting this tonight, be stay safe and warm, and inside!!

• Like 2

I had a headache for quite awhile after that icy fall this afternoon. I am just glad I didn't break anything! My 25 year old was like a big kid,in and out,in and out,giving me reports every few minutes about all the sleet that continued to cover our yard like a blanket of snow. He even made a miniature 'sleet man' on the back porch!LOL But,he also made sure my windshield is covered so hopefully it won't be so iced up in the morning. I stay up late every night anyway,so I guess I'll see if it snows in about an hour....

Sending prayers of safety and warmth,and continuing electric power to all those out there affected by this wintery mess!

No sneaux in the greater New Orleans area. The precipitation has stopped and there wasn't much of it, so tree limbs remained on the trees. Entergy reports only one power outage that was back up in 2 hours. About 30F at the moment, but heading into 40s later today. Schools and many businesses still closed because of icy roadways.

My heart goes out to the children who spent the night at school or in a school bus. Saw a snippet of news that said the Ga. governor has sent out the National Guard on rescue duty.

All the schools in Mobile & Baldwin Co, AL and Escambia, Santa Rosa & Okaloosa Co, FL, have been shut down through today, and some until tomorrow. Last night all the bridges between Pensacola and the rest of FL were closed, with a terrible big rig wreck on the I-10 bridge over the Blackwater River S of Milton; one of the trucks went off the bridge into the water.

We got no sneaux :rofl: but the ground is white, and the roof of my car. My arthritis is in a right state this morning.