What's everyone working on?

I have anEasy cutter of sorts as well and it is syarting to show some wear so to speak so will definitley check up on these.

Still doing those fiddly bits here and there for the lighthouse, today it is one of those repeat, repeat, repeat kind of things, I am sloooowly filling up a water fountain and building up the streaming water part, one drop at a time. But it is the first time I worked with a running water feature like this so it is a learning experience as well.

Hugs

Thank you!  I remember reading about using thread for running water effects in a several part series of articles published in DHMS when I was subscribing to it, that I saved.

I'm going to start a water feature (soonish) too. I may try using clothing price tags, the clear ones, to build my drops up (but of course it wouldn't work on a super tall stream).

The minions are taking over.  This morning they installed their own door to the observatory.  

post-329-0-16855200-1436545709_thumb.jpg

It used to be a fairy door locket so it even opens.  Good thing I like those funny little guys or I might be annoyed about giving up a cute pendant.  hehehehehehehe

• Like 2

Mine are still waiting around for cool weapons......if they aren't careful, I'll make little tutus for all of them.... :evil:

I guess tutus would be less of a challenge than yoga pants.

• Like 1

Holly, I finally broke down and bought the EZ Cutter ultimate......oh yea baby!!!  :cheer:

Dorkus move of the day....How many roofs have I shingled??   I am going along on the very top row, not a gable in sight to cause issues.........I look I am half way done.....I had forgotten to half the first shingle at the beginning of the row!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :cry:     Ripped off two rows because the shingles stuck together splintering some in the following row!    :crazyeyes:    

Art,  did popsicle stick floor once..... no comment and good luck!  :D

I like this simulated streaming water idea. What might work well would be a piece of nylon guitar string. The cellophane would look good too. I have a Christmas tree ornament of Gandalf with his arm raised holding a wand and they used a title strip of it folded in such a way to look like a lightning bolt.

• Like 1

Holly, I finally broke down and bought the EZ Cutter ultimate......oh yea baby!!!  :cheer:

Dorkus move of the day....How many roofs have I shingled??   I am going along on the very top row, not a gable in sight to cause issues.........I look I am half way done.....I had forgotten to half the first shingle at the beginning of the row!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :cry:     Ripped off two rows because the shingles stuck together splintering some in the following row!    :crazyeyes:    

Art,  did popsicle stick floor once..... no comment and good luck!  :D

No Comment!?!? Oh, oh! Now you got me worried! ;-)

Art, the iron-on wood veneer is thinner and cuts easily with either a utility knife or scissors.

Is that the stuff I've seen at the hardware store that's used on the edges of countertops, or is it a specialty item made specifically for this purpose?

The iron on veneer that comes in rolls form the hardware store. There is also a seller on ebay that sells sheets of micro-veneer with stick-on backing. I use that for wall paneling, floors - everything where I want wood. The micro veneer stains well and can be cut with scissors or a knife, it's flexible and paper-thin. If you search for micro veneer on ebay - the guy sells 50 sheets for 13.50 and I love that stuff.

The iron on veneer that comes in rolls form the hardware store. There is also a seller on ebay that sells sheets of micro-veneer with stick-on backing. I use that for wall paneling, floors - everything where I want wood. The micro veneer stains well and can be cut with scissors or a knife, it's flexible and paper-thin. If you search for micro veneer on ebay - the guy sells 50 sheets for 13.50 and I love that stuff.

I am still fighting to finish the Ellwanger main hall.  :/   

First, I sat down at my work table all ready and excited to 'get down to business' with this project....only to find that my tube of glue was crumpled and empty of every last possible drop.  Sigh.   After work yesterday I stopped at Wally World to see if by any remote chance their craft department person had been gracious enough to order any glue this week.  Same as the last previous weeks: Nope. Bigger sigh.

OK...let's get to work!  Started putting in the crown mouldings only to discover that I had glued in the wallpaper crooked which left a gap under the moulding.  grrr.  Crown moulding Take 2: added some thin strip wood underneath the original to make it look like a really chunky moulding.  :)  A little spackle and it works for me!

Next step: I realized that my clever trims I had cut for the stair opening won't fit once the stairs are in place...and basically are in the wrong place for the railing placement.  Dagabanagit.  Stair Opening Take 2: heck with moulding- breakin' out the spackle again to smooth out the rough cut edges and will paint them.  Will call it done.

Next up: checking the final fit of the baseboard mouldings.  Dangit. Didn't cut & paint all of the pieces I will need....off to search through the 'discarded' pile to find some of the original baseboards to re-use (and re-paint).  How did I not double check this way back when I cut all of the mouldings??

OK....by the time I realized that I had chosen and painted the WRONG style of spindles for the last two needed for the porch steps I knew it was time to quit and go to bed!

At least my daughter was able to stop on her way over here and buy me two tubes of quik grab glue!

• Like 1

I'm working on remodeling a Newport. I've primered and primered and pained and painted and now the dark yellow aqua is a soft cream. I cut the lower bay windows into arched windows and the front door is now arched too. I've cut the base for a wrap around porch (to add onto the front porch to the right) and I'm waiting on some 3/8" plywood to cut the top of the porch. I need to get started on the extension but I'm only using the first floor of it. Now I've decided maybe I should hard wire but I've got to watch some videos cause I don't know how to start. 

No Comment!?!? Oh, oh! Now you got me worried! ;-)

You will do fine Art!   Its just that my first try with the popsicle sticks came out a bit lumpy bumpy and cutting them was not easy.  Now I have the Ultimate cutter it might be great.  

I love the peel and stick veneer........soooooooooo easy!  I would go with that for sure!

You will do fine Art!   Its just that my first try with the popsicle sticks came out a bit lumpy bumpy and cutting them was not easy.  Now I have the Ultimate cutter it might be great.  

I love the peel and stick veneer........soooooooooo easy!  I would go with that for sure!

It does sound a bunch easier, but I've got all the stuff ready to go, so I'll go ahead and give it a whirl!

I use popsicle sticks, coffee stirrers and the extra wide craft sticks. It just takes a little time and patience. They can look quite impressive when all is said and done.