What's everyone working on?

Sounds loke a lovley outing Nutti!

Still no sign of my bottle of "water" need to check with MIL if my muse brought it along to her place when we had a mini-ing session... On the other hand I had one of those, "ohhh, so that is what bothers me..." moments with one of my spring fling builds, demolished the roof, cut a new piece, drilled holes in the corners and now I have it primed on one side....

Hugs

• Like 2

I really want to do a painted Lady...our main house color is grey...she does not want that to change

You could still do a painted lady effect with a grey house using soft, soft, soft pastel tones of pale green and shell pink or baby blue and lilac for the exterior trim if she'd go for that.  It would give a sort of pearly tone to the house.  Or is she still set on a more gothic look?  

I got stalled out for a couple of days because my body doesn't like weather disturbances very much but have been mentally working on the Tennyson.  Bruce is off tomorrow so we'll go to Ace and get the paint for it.  I had to laugh at myself because I was mixing up samples and trying to find just the right tone of creamy yellow/ivory for the trim.  It wasn't going well so I took a break out on the patio....and happened to glance over at the potting table Bruce built for me.  You guessed it;  it's painted a soft ivory and there's almost a full gallon of it left.  If I had turned around in the studio I'd have seen the can sitting on the bottom shelf of the workbench.   At least I remembered it before I bought more!  So all I need are the two shades of sage green and a little more mobility and I'll be ready to start.  Yay!!  

• Like 3

Good catch Deb! Looking forward to seeing you work on the Tennyson, hopefully the weather behaves though!

So why is it that when you are on the lookout for something, say lights, you do find one in one shop the other in a second and a third one in the third shop? All shops in different countries as well... The grand total would be more than what I have purchased lamps in reallife sizes as well.... Darn it!!!

Hugs

I just added a couple of pics from today's mini-ing, I blinged the roof of the lighthouse, ie used nail decorations so that when it gets a coat or two of coppar apray paint will look as it has trims and "nail heads" will also be more realistic to add some coppar tarnish around those nail heads. Atleast that is the plan....

Hugs

• Like 1

Looking awesome Anna!!!  I love looking thru your albums and the lighthouse is spectacular.

I spoke too soon about having all the pieces for the Tennyson.  <sigh>  Apparently when I put it into dry fit four years ago, I didn't punch out the sheets with the window/door trim, the accent trim pieces, and the front steps.  I can't believe I didn't do that since it's as much a habit as breathing for me to punch out everything all at once, label each piece in pencil, and put them into envelopes or ziplock baggies but that was when I was really sick and probably thought I'd do it later when I started actually building the house.  Unfortunately later turned into four years and a move halfway across the country.....and I threw out the box while I was packing.  I'm a miniature hoarder and had several boxes of punched out sheets I was saving because sometimes the spaces around the punch outs can have super cool shapes to be used for other things, but it's not practical to move them so I tossed them all and boy do I regret it now.    I know it's not a major deal since all I have to do is call Greenleaf and order replacements but my Muse has a different idea.  <chuckling>  She always does.  The window and door trim is no biggie because I like making my own to get mitered corners and while I was thinking about that, I realized that I have at least two Houseworks octagonal windows in my stash that would look great on the third floor.  I can make my own porch steps and as for the gingerbread trim, I've got some different ideas that I want to try anyway so I don't need that either.  Long story short, after having that conversation with my Muse, I'm not gonna worry about missing pieces since I probably wouldn't have used most of them anyway.  That's a relief coz I was beating myself up for being so careless in the first place.  Sick or not, I should have known to double check the box before I put it in the trash pile.  

Anyway, I'm off to go get my paint and when I get home I'm going to order the Houseworks double door for the front and one of those super cool victorian screen doors for the second floor door to the balcony.  I think I'm out of Lankford trees too so I might as well order those at the same time.  I have two of his window boxes going on the front of the house and had those out yesterday, petting and cooing over them.  

<rushing in breathlessly>  I found it!!  I found it!!!  Yipppeeeeee!!  I looked in the wallpaper bin one more time and saw a small cardboard box with a piece of trim sticking out and there it was!  Overall, the only part that I really wanted was the front porch steps because they're recessed and having the pieces will be so much easier than making it from scratch, but the happiest part is knowing that no matter how sick I was, my auto pilot was still working enough to do that simple task.  The pieces are all labeled and put into separate envelopes as always.  <huge sigh of relief>  I was fretting over that so now I feel much, much better.  

• Like 6

Thanks Anna!  It's always a relief when the lost is found huh.  Have you found your bottle of water yet?

Nope, and MIL promised to check her stash but so far it is hiding....

Hugs

now that I have been talked down...again thanks....

I stained and put together both staircases for the MHM...who knew they would be the easiest stairs I ever built lol

did a search on painted ladies and found a few that really grabbed me and so the new colors will be.....

an light aqua blue instead of grey...already tried the dark Iris purple and it covers the burgandy well...daffodil yellow

with a pink and a teal blue accents....5 colors...and then of course wood stains for the doors....

the inside is getting different styles of wainscoting and cream walls....

I do have a few more things for measuring but I plan on having them laid out for the man(if I cant figure it out myself)....Im feeling better about the whole thing

Deb...it is all that pre-planning we do as builders that save our arses...lol.... the MHM parts was in a box...not taped shut but when I got it all laid out...there were all my railing parts in a baggie....my stairs in a baggie, the left over cuts from the build in a baggie...all very organised....hoooray for prep work no matter how tedious we might think it is!!

• Like 2

The zone is an awesome place to disappear into...

The "bling" parts I added to the lighthouse roofing is taking spray paint really well but will take some coats to get a nice coppar sheen to it. Then I will try my hands on getting it nice and green... That is the part I am a bit apprahensive of though.

Hugs

• Like 1

Anna, make up a test scrap.

Oh absolutley, best way to trial and error!!! Got my green and teal colours, just still not sure... Bit then again a lighthouse with shiny coppar roof all pristine,no, don't think so LOL

While the paint is drying in between coats I am re-doing the whole floor/roof of my musig pavillion, even tore of the bottom base, need to re-cut one and re-do it as well, feel so much better about it now! Need to re-install te chandelier and little things here and there, but now we are agreeing again!

Hugs

I've taken a pause in my mini-ing these last couple months since summer started. Early in June I was away in Europe for ten days, and since I got back my weekends have been full of mostly nice summery things -- camping trips and backyard barbecues and picnics and gardening and friend visits and so on. But between all that, and quite a number of late nights at the office (it's our busy season!) I just haven't had too for mini-ing. I'm not complaining though! The nice weather here in Toronto isn't around for long; and it feels important to make the most of it.

After a month of saying "I really must get to the dollhouse store this weekend" I finally did it on Saturday (the Little Dollhouse Company here in TO) and spent a lovely couple of hours browsing and talking with their lovely builder John about my project. That got me revved up, and on Sunday I spend the whole day puttering around in my basement "craft zone". I'm just beginning to work on the interiors, starting with floors. Holly, I'm using your iron-on veneer technique!

John at LDC favours flooring templates made from a white plastic sheet thing that's about 2mm thick, so I bought some of that. He likes it cause it doesn't warp much, and he lays his floors on it with spray adhesive. I'm finding it does warp a bit with the heat from the iron-on adhesive, but it just kind of bows up a little in the middle. I think once I tape down the flooring template it will be ok. Because it's plastic it also won't hold with my tacky glue, so I'm just ironing each piece on individually, and that's working fine.

I got the dining room floor stained and finished and it looks great! Pretty exciting. One room done, 11 to go...

And now it is the glue that needs to dry, think I will go start the dinner preps in the meantime. tomorrow I will be doing lots and lots of clay work as it looks, yay!

Hugs

I really like this method of iron on veneer. I originally decided to go with popsticks. Just like me to choose a more time consuming, tedious method! We decided to do printable "tile" floors for the kitchen and bathroom. I printed the tile pattern for the bathroom on glossy photo paper which I mounted last night and am pleased with the results. Next is the kitchen and then the wood in the bedroom and livingroom. Was at Michael's yesterday and saw some patterned felt sheets that I thought might make good area rugs.

Although I usually iron the veneer directly onto the floor, when I need to use a template I go with posterboard

Now I've started with this plastic stuff I think I'll stick with it through the rest of the ground floor, but maybe I'll try posterboard for the second floor.  The plastic stuff is kind of expensive! The adhesive on the veneer seems great though.  Everything's holding together beautifully. 

Anyone got a great idea on how to mimic terracotta tiles?  Leaning towards a terracotta look in the kitchen.

Hey Anna, check out how I did copper roofs in my gallery.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=6950

(rooves?)

Also one of the galleries I have been stalking! Thank you for the how-to, helped me along

I am just a scaredy cat when it comes to actually start the aging process, when I am actually doing it I am having a blast!

Hugs