What's everyone working on?

Unloaded everything out of the Goodwill dollhouse into two garbage cans (how'd all that FIT in there?!), moved dollhouse into the dining area. Unloaded the in progress trash dollhouse , moved it into my bedroom where I can stare at it until I figure out what to do with it. Now I have three garbage cans of minis to redistribute. Andddddd I put the "carpet" pieces at the bottom of one of them. Smart huh? :)

• Like 1

A simple gluing jig has a flat bottom and straight sides t right angles to each other and to the bottom, so you can set your piece in and prop it in place whilst glue dries.  I lined the box lid with waxed paper.  When the box lids wore out and I ran out of box lids, I purchased this magnetic gluing jig from Micro Mark.  I still sometimes use clamps to help hold things in place, but for stairs the magnets do the job.  I do still line it with waxed paper.

• Like 1

The wheels are turning again. I am contemplating mass producing my custom Weekend Cottage into a kit. There is an Arts and Crafts consignment shop in a huge outlet mall in Vero Beach, Fl. A display case is $350 per month. I figure if I sell ten a month my materials and costs are at break even. As soon as I can get my garage back I'll do a more extensive time study to see if it is worth it.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=6732

Well, I did some more work on the addition this week. Most of it was fix-it work, fixing what I screwed up last week. But I got the roof on the mudroom/laundry room, and also over the pantry. The area that was the master bathroom is going to remain the master bathroom, I've decided. The little room right next to that over the pantry is going to be a walk in closet. I have room for a rack to hang clothes on, a dresser, some shelves and some little cubbyholes to put some shoes in. I will also put in a cedar chest I have for winter blankets and some luggage. If I get the back part of the roof done next week, I'll get pictures.

I have never heard of a gluing jig but I looked at it from your link Holly.  I wouldn't spend the $25 for one but I bet I can make something that will work! :D
I painted the walls and floors yesterday.  There are so many rough edges I sanded and sanded but will leave the log ends rough  because they are just impossible to get completely smooth.  When I get them all assembled maybe some spackle with fix all of that.   I used acrylic paint for stain as real wood stain fumes give me a migraine.

I used a lighter brown first and then a darker brown over the top.  I wiped it all down so the lighter brown shows through.  I like the effect I got.  Today I might try putting the pieces together as there are no tabs at all with this kit.  Stay tuned. 

I've been back in the studio lately which is cause for celebration!  It's been awhile since I've dressed furniture but I did a chaise lounge for Deana and then went on to build a quarter scale baby Magnolia in steampunk attire.  Yay!!  I've also been working on some fairy gardens in backyard planters which combines minis with playing in the dirt........two of my favorite things so that's a win-win!!!  I'll have to create an album for them along with pictures of some of my leafy babies which are all either succulents or miniature cacti.  

I also finally started that steampunk Loganberry kit and it's coming along nicely.  After having it in dry fit on the workbench for several months I reluctantly admitted to myself that it was the concept of bashing it that was overwhelming me.  My brain can't work with transitions anymore and I stall out somewhere between the idea and the implementation.  So in one fell swoop (or perhaps it was a swell foop), I snatched it up, ran the Trio around the window openings to enlarge them for Houseworks windows and glued the silly thing together.  Aaaaah.  That felt better and before I stopped I'd primed all the walls and put the first coat of paint on the exterior.  I've progressed in small steps to stuccoing the interior, installing a glass tile floor, adding wainscoting to the downstairs, and have almost finished the faux tin ceiling.  That's been an interesting combination of embossed paper and some ornate tiles made with a Mod Podge mold.  After slapping some silver paint over all of it and putting a medallion in the center, it's looking pretty good.  I need to add some trim here and there to give continuity to the transitions between mediums and then antique it so it looks aged, but I think it's gonna work.  

On Sunday Bruce and I went to town and hit both JoAnn's and Michael's where I stocked up on all kinds of fabulous beads and charms and findings to restock my steampunk stash and pillaged the fairy garden and miniature sections of both stores.   We stopped at Lowes too and I found some interesting bits and bobs there too.  <chuckling>  While I was browsing the "fastener" aisle with a handful of washers, nuts, brads, and upholstery tacks a clerk came up and asked if I needed help finding anything.  I smiled cheerfully and chirped, "No thank you.  I'm just stocking up on shiny things."   He backed away slowly.  hehehehehehehe  I really should quit messin' with their heads like that.  

• Like 5

Don't quit messing with their heads, Deb! That's one of the perks of doing minis. And it's so much fun.

That's how I scored four pieces of two by four foot ceiling tile at Lowe's. Two of the salesmen looked at me strangely. They couldn't understand why I would want four, corner damaged ceiling tile that were laying in the area where they only sell big cartons of ten. They started getting nervous when I said that I needed them for my dollhouse... Then when I said I was using them to make furniture for the dollhouses, they looked at each other, called someone higher up to find out what to do... Long story short. I got all four pieces for around five dollars. I have enough ceiling tile to make pin boards, bed forms, chairs, couches, etc etc etc for the next twenty years! I looked back as I did a happy dance all the way to the car.... Who cares if the two of them were huddled together in fear of the crazy dollhouse lady. I'm happy!

• Like 3

Just finished giving the dollhouse from someone's trash a coat of paint inside. Well, second coat on some walls but now every room but one has a complete coat. I'm leaving one of the rooms as is because a)I like the dark ceiling there and b)I don't want to take down the wallpaper I already put up!! Used an indoor latex white from walmart, low odor and thick enough to cover some of the issues in the walls. You can still see some of the old glue swirls and such, but I realized no one but me would notice them after two coats of paint. I plan on papering/covering most of the walls anyway, just wanted to protect the wood from any further damage. It's much more cheerful looking painted white!!

• Like 1

I am happy to report that I got to work for 2 whole days on the Appleby Cottage!  Happy Days!  The upstairs wallpaper is in place - and that was a BIG job!  The stairway and upper railing are FINALLY installed permanently, and I'm almost finished with the baseboards. Ran out of wood before I finished the upstairs rooms. :(   Old-timey baseboard was a lot higher that today's baseboard so I just made my own.  Oh, yes, and the outhouse is now ready for use!   Walls are nicely aged, roof is painted, and TP is back in place.  

• Like 5

I have been busy staining walls and floors etc.  I can't make up my mind if I am going to use the half loft floor or make a whole second floor so I am making both and I will see which one I like best!  :)

• Like 1

We went out today to run errands and ended up at the hobby shop; I walked in the door and the gentleman in the corner called out, "Here for more wood?" and I called back, "Yes, I need basswood boards." and waltzed out the door with four of his last nine pieces of 1/8" basswood.  The farmhouse furniture seriously depleted my supply, but I'm good to go again.

• Like 2

Well, log homes were never perfectly smooth or airtight. You can leave it irregular and just blame it on following the natural way of things. (always looking for the easy way out over here - hahaha)

• Like 1

Don't quit messing with their heads, Deb! That's one of the perks of doing minis. And it's so much fun.

That's how I scored four pieces of two by four foot ceiling tile at Lowe's. Two of the salesmen looked at me strangely. They couldn't understand why I would want four, corner damaged ceiling tile that were laying in the area where they only sell big cartons of ten. They started getting nervous when I said that I needed them for my dollhouse... Then when I said I was using them to make furniture for the dollhouses, they looked at each other, called someone higher up to find out what to do... Long story short. I got all four pieces for around five dollars. I have enough ceiling tile to make pin boards, bed forms, chairs, couches, etc etc etc for the next twenty years! I looked back as I did a happy dance all the way to the car.... Who cares if the two of them were huddled together in fear of the crazy dollhouse lady. I'm happy!

How cool!!  Getting a good deal and perplexing the sales reps is a double score.  hehehehehehe

I dabbled in the studio a bit yesterday and made a couple of things for the Loganberry.  The great thing about steampunk is that you can make things and have no idea what they are or what their purpose in life might be.  <chuckling>  Sometimes I have no idea what it is until I'm done with it and give it a name.  So yesterday I bashed a little stove into a boiler and then made a thingamajig.  I have no idea what it is yet but it's a very nice one.  

• Like 4

I'm still fiddling around with the tower for my Baba Yaga build. I've tried four different ideas so far and none of them feel right yet. The most recent one is the closest but not a winner.

I need the tower to house the dungeon on the bottom and the potion room on the very top floor. The tippetty top will be an eerily lighted glow with faux glass. That leaves a mid-section that will hopefully hold the "cellar" type storage area. In several of the versions of the story BY has a trap door that lifts up to a secret cellar (not the dungeon where she keeps temporary prisoners, most notably the goose/duck who is a former prince under her spell). I've been playing around with the trap door idea and a ladder down into it.

My biggest dilemma is trying to decide how to effectively cover the cardboard with either stucco (spackle) or paperclay and not warp or destroy the cardboard from the wetness. My first choice is a stucco and timber finish - easy to do but very wet. I want to avoid using egg carton glued on because my hands will not survive well cutting all of that. It is an option that is less wet but just not great for arthritis.

I'm also kind of driving myself nuts trying to include SO many details from SO many different versions of all the varied Baba Yaga stories. I want it all - as they say - and, though secretly, I know that's not possible but I'll keep kicking and screaming and go down trying.

• Like 1

That is what I was thinking too Holly. Either varnish or maybe sanding sealer. Just something to seal the cardboard against moisture. You might need to sand it a little to give the clay or spackle something to grip to.

I was thinking I'd have to seal it. What do you you think about the weight of the spackle or paperclay? I've added coffee stirrer "beams" to the floors and ceilings and taller scraps of wood, "faux beams", on the perimeter of the interior to support the floors and stiffen the walls. Think that's enough extra support? They're still quite tiny in this 1/24 scale.

How cool!!  Getting a good deal and perplexing the sales reps is a double score.  hehehehehehe

I dabbled in the studio a bit yesterday and made a couple of things for the Loganberry.  The great thing about steampunk is that you can make things and have no idea what they are or what their purpose in life might be.  <chuckling>  Sometimes I have no idea what it is until I'm done with it and give it a name.  So yesterday I bashed a little stove into a boiler and then made a thingamajig.  I have no idea what it is yet but it's a very nice one.

Deb, I think that thingamajig is a perfectly good name. My favorite is a whatchamacallit! I make those all the time. G