What's everyone working on?

Speed shingles changed my life.  They literally make shingling go twelve times faster than one at a time.  

I slowed down a little today but still spent some happy time in the studio painting porch railings and trim.  I think I've done as much as I can on that for now but it's been so fun to just sit there and paint.   I'm getting the itch to start wallpapering now and it can't be denied.  I do all the wallpapering, flooring, windows, etc., before assembling a house so the next few weeks will be spent making stacks of pretty colored walls.  I gotta find some new weights tho.  When we moved I wasn't thinking clearly and tossed out all my phone books and big catalogs thinking, "Oh, I can always get more".  <sigh>  Not really.  I suppose moving a couple dozen phone books would have been a waste of space in the PODS but I miss those things.  <pausing to consider options>  Wait!  I took most of the houses off their bases and did the landscaping directly on the display tables which means there are heavy sheets of mdf and plywood out in the garage.  Problem solved!  <whew> I'm so glad I have you guys to talk to about these things.  

• Like 4

Yep, moving tends to purge useful heavy items! And as I still have lots of mini-ing necessities boxedup in the basement as I am sometimes looking for replacements for whatever reasons and sometimes I know I have the perfect thingy in one of the boxes...

Looking forward to seeing your coloured pieces ;)

I am off to poke around the clay pieces to see how the cracking proceeds...

Hugs

I am off to poke around the clay pieces to see how the cracking proceeds...

<crossing my fingers that there's no cracking and if there is, that it's the realistic type that blends with the stone look>

Hey Lynette!  I just thought of something.  Have you considered using Greenleaf siding strips for your wainscoting?  It's thin, cuts easily with scissors, and looks great on a wall.  Stain it first, glue it to the wall, and add a skinny strip of basswood across the top for the chair rail.  If you want to give it a fancy touch, cut a smaller rectangle to center in the middle of each piece and it'll look like the mini wainscoting panels sold in the mini stores.  

• Like 4

Crackling is working out fine, one place might need a little filling, we'll see when I have it painted in washes.

Have spent an hour and a half painting grout lines in an oyster beige colour, will do washes later on but figured I wanted to define the lines a little so went over them with a thinned out paint but still each and every line got its own brush stroke...

Hugs

• Like 2

the most amazing thing happened today...while I was working out the wainscoting...I wanted to first start with the chair rail so I would know how tall the rest would be

so in my plastic container of scraps and bamboo skewers I pulled out a piece...it felt funny...I looked better at it and what did my flabbergasted eyes behold??

the missing angled molding trim needed for the balcony french doors...of course one piece wouldnt be enough so I grabbed the container(this would be the 3rd time to go through it) and guess what...YUP another piece...I am back in business  hachacha!! :carrot:

I cant believe after 5 yrs of being in storage this kit is as it was....Im very happy with the way my floor came out...but it seems too thick...but I dont care I am proceeding...finished tearing out the rest of the wires...oopsie there went the kitchen chandelier DH made for in there....but I can fix that! I hate it that there wont be electricity but Im not going to do it and well DH is on the truck all week...so he wont be either... tomorrow I am taking my little bottle of craft paint to wally world and buy 3 more bottles...she liked the turquoise and so do I...I got all of the front painted tonight...the stairs are reglued back the way they started...I got a HOM ladies writing desk that will look really nice under the stairs...

hmmmmm I dont think I have any siding ...may have to get some... good idea Deb...

going to use the paint I mixed...yes I tried to make the pretty blue into turquoise but all I got was a lovely minty green....so now the Chantilly will get that color....

it feels good to be back into it... still cant believe I found the trim...NEXT! :clap:

• Like 6

Happy dancing with you Nutti! Isn't it the best feeling when something all of a sudden just works itself out in a purr-fect way???

Looking forward seeing the Chantilly as well!

Right now I am yet again awaiting paint tomdry as I had this idea on how I could support the handrail in the lighthouse stairs. Will see if it works which leads me to a question regarding paper clay;

I need to make small holes in it, you think drilling a teeny hole works prior to screwing in a small loop/screw!

Huhs

• Like 1

Taking a building break.  I am almost done with the cabin but I am awaiting inspiration to add the details that make is a home rather than just a building....you know what I mean? 

• Like 2

Taking a building break.  I am almost done with the cabin but I am awaiting inspiration to add the details that make is a home rather than just a building....you know what I mean?

I sure do. I started working on #1 and #2 Tennyson Places again. I just needed to stare at them awhile :)

• Like 1

I have to admit that the closer to the end I get, the slower I seem to go.  Also,  I have been planning my little Michael's castle and getting very distracted by the Arthur which is sitting on the table and keeps saying it wants to be a Mary Englebreit house. 

• Like 2

Got my HBS order of doors, octagonal window and porch rail trim today.  

post-329-0-02041800-1437719273_thumb.jpg

I'm SO twitterpated with that screen door.  The order came just in time too since I was in the middle of marking the wiring diagram and other stuff on the interior.  I was able to mark where I'll be making my cuts and then spent a happy afternoon painting doors.  

• Like 1

Spent the morning painting the floors of the roof top area of my Music room. Good thing I need to get busy in the kitchen preparing for company tonight as the neck and shoulders are somewhat tired now, but oh how I could gt used to,painting this kind of flooring!

Hoping that the walls in the lighthouse cellar will have dried enough by tomorrow somthat I can finish that area and move onto actually finishing the garden and only await the lights to be delivered...

Trying to remember when I started this build, think it was 2011 or 2012? Hmm, need to look into the pictures to see if I could follow along the build.

Hugs

• Like 1

Finishing up the wallpapering and interior painting. Next is the wood flooring and well be ready for the wall, floor, and roof assembly. We started this project shortly before we moved to the condo, when we had the house and a lot more space. We probably won't have much free space to display anything we build. So, we've decided that if we finish before the holidays we would bring it to the nearest fire station and donate it to them for a christmas gift to a needy child. Already thinking about the next one. I'm thinking a turn of the century New York City style townhouse. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I'm thinking a turn of the century New York City style townhouse. Any suggestions?

An Emerson Row might work well for that one.  It's got a brownstone vibe to it and is a lovely house.

CJ, I'm happy dancing for you!  It looks great!

I painted the doors for the Tennyson today and am so in love with that screen door.  The ivory and dark sage are a gorgeous color combination to work with....very soothing and relaxing.  But I think I'm going to have to slow down a little.  My body is rebelling in a big way and did a forced shut down this afternoon.  Very frustrating but I'm going to keep pushing anyway.  It's almost impossible to resist the siren song of the Zone.  

• Like 5

Deb, don't push your body too hard, lest it shut down totally; that's an invitation to frustration, big time!

What Holly said!!! You take it easy and allow the body to re-load energy and you will be back to creating wonders in the craft room soon again!

As for me, I have been winging an aviary for then music room today as that is what it demanded... We had my PILs over yesterday for a nice BBQ and while MIL and I were looking at and discussing the new roof gardenthentopic of the aviary came up... So what do ypu think woke me up around 3 am this lorning???

Yep, plans of an aviary, so today I have been raiding boxes, using the easy cutte, finding stuff, cussing alittle when realising that there was one to few to be able to use, rummage around again etc etc, but now a shell of an aviary is drying, awaiting a coat of flat black spray paint and birdies...

Hugs

post-90-0-89445200-1437839463_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Anna, that's beautiful!!!  It's lovely and airy and delightful!  

Definitely slowing down today as something neurological is going on.  Too shaky to do much more than hang out horizontally so I don't go falling into things.  Even my eyes are trembly and hard to focus.  It happens sometimes and will pass.  I'm missing the studio in a big way!  Yesterday I discovered a way to make a small octagonal window fit the large 3rd floor window by swiping a frame from the Orchid, fitting the smaller window into it, and making a layered look.  It's really pretty and adds some depth to that area which I like.  

• Like 2

Deb, how are you painting that window?

With a brush.  <ducking and running>

Pictures are worth a thousand words so I'll take that route.  Here are the two pieces separate in one pic and nested in the other.  Once I get to the point of installing the windows I'll make the final decision about whether or not to paint the Orchid piece dark green and that'll probably depend on if I leave the cross bars or cut them out.  For now I just gave it a coat of cream to prime the dark burgundy that it used to be.   

post-329-0-87931400-1437869420_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-81712000-1437869436_thumb.jpg

The second window on the third floor is smaller and it will have an identical small window without the second frame.  

• Like 3