What's everyone working on?

I was fiddling with re-installing the front doors to the Ellwanger house on Saturday evening, and getting very frustrated and figured that the original builder could not have possibly installed these doors that they actually closed correctly! :pullhair:

So earlier in the afternoon, hubby decided that we should invite my parents over for lunch the next day....which is fine, but he chose the very moment my arms, up to my elbows, were jammed into the hallway of this dollhouse trying unsuccessfully to coerce teeny screws to fit into tiny holes, while trying to hold the door in place, while trying to maneuver so the light from my little flashlight will shine on where my bumbling fingers are at the moment....  So he hollars down the stairs at me, trying to get my opinion as to which ears of corn he should select for tomorrow's menu....really? :blink:   "um," I respond. "I am up to my elbows in a tiny little space trying to jam a tiny little screw into a tiny little hinge....I don't care WHAT you make!"

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon after my parents leave:  after adjusting the doors at least twice, I have finally asked my hubby the professional cabinet installer to come down and take at look.  I shine the flashlight into the house and show him the doors at the end of the main hall on the first floor.  "Wow," he says in sudden understanding. "You weren't kidding! You stick your arms in that little space and you wouldn't be able to see a thing!" :doh:

I resisted the urge to slap him.

Instead, I gave him a hearty thank-you when he sanded down the edge of the one door which finally fixed the problem of the ill-fitting doors!  :)

• Like 3

I'm finishing up a Primrose bash (which will still probably take another week or two) and then I'll be starting on a room box prototype for the SAM birthday party next February. We're hosting it here in Dallas this year, so we'll have several done by members of our guild as examples/inspiration of the infinite possibilities. I love this hobby!!

• Like 1

Been playing (again, yay) with the lighthouse (added a few slightly fuzzy) pics of the mostly finished bedroom. Awaiting a possible ceiling light which hopefully arrives soon.

Will work on the kitchen and batroom area tomorrow and hope to take better pictures in better light tomorrow, have had so much fun doing this, even emptied out one box and most of a second one out of four boxes with collected stuff formthis...

Hugs

It looks like you have your work cut out for you (no pun intended LOL) and I like the view of your deck as well.

Over here the post has arrived in in it was the awaited LED light I have intended for the lighthouse/bedroom. Will try it out and see how it looks later on, have also found a possible chandelier for the kitchen area, more rustic look and a brushed metal colour, will have to pnder it for a while.... Since it is in the UK delivery time ahpuld be shorter. I wish there were more LED lights avaliable!

Hugs

• Like 2

Plugging away on my cabin gluing stones onto the chimney.   Trying to decide whether to do the chinking or not.   I notice many of the cabins do no have it.

I thought I might wander into the Plaza in town and haunt the tourist shops for mini southwestern chachkies .   I thought that a coaster would make a good rug if I can find one. 

• Like 2

:banana:  Doin' the Happy Dance over here!  Woo hoo!  Ellwanger front doors are IN and WORKING!  Foyer wall is IN, WALLPAPERED, and the French doors are IN!!  Cannot tell you HOW much of a hurdle this part was to me!!  Probably as much of a mental hurdle as anything.  "Too hard".  But I dove in and conquered it!!  (Forgive me Lord, for the 'magic words' muttered while my hubby's singing group practiced worship songs upstairs! :doh: )

• Like 7

(Forgive me Lord, for the 'magic words' muttered while my hubby's singing group practiced worship songs upstairs! :doh: )

Jackie, I had to laugh.......I have muttered more than my quota of "magic words" myself.  ha ha

I gave up on the stones for now, started on the roof.   I hope this one will be easy as there are no gables for a change. :)

after starting the packing of my niche....it has been decided that we will not move til Oct...kids already gone to their own place...YAY

they took the Tv and love seat from their section of the big room we shared leaving me with ALOT of SPACE....the first configuration of my 3 tables left me feeling confined...so I put the tables back in the original configuration...just spread it out further..added shelves from the kidos room....I am not unpacking the things already packed but they are stacked neatly and labeled just in case I am in need of something...a table cloth or skirt to hide all the boxes and containers and I will feel much better about my space....

it bothers me a great deal that the first room you enter of my house is my craft room....which is never pretty even on a "clean" day.....

but no one visits so who cares....

it is my goal to finish the Diana before we move...and concentrate on Catriona's Marquingham Mansion....after I am set up in new place...

I purchased 2 shades of stain to do Di's roof shingles with...light and dark.......

also decided to quickly redo the outside of my Chantilly and send it to my lil brothers 2 daughters for Christmas....sending Legos for the boys...

I know it will cost an arm and leg to send it but its something I feel I need to do...

feels good to have my house back even though I do miss my grans....

Anna the bedroom is perfect...and loved the dollhouse shop in the gallery....

yall rock with the eyecandy!! :cheer:  :punk:  :cheer:

• Like 3

I remember seeing Catriona's Marquam Hill when I first met you ... was it really a hundred years ago?? So glad this elegant house has gotten back in the line. :D

• Like 1

So, we've been kicking around how we wanted to do the floors in our Orchid and we did some research and found what look like some good ideas. Just wanted to share those sources will everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-UZbLoBZ20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOmep1Fi8HY

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+make+wooden+floor+for+dollhouse&gbv=2&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=4wKaVdX9B8bttQWD1oHYAw&ved=0CCAQsAQ&tbm=isch

We decided to go the pop-stick route. Picked up a couple of bags today. Also, was looking at an Easy Cutter for cutting off the round ends of the sticks. Found some on ebay and also at Ace Hardware online. Went to Ace, but they don't stock them in this particular location. They did have a Craftsman Edge Razor cutter, which I decided to get. It doesn't have a fence for cutting different angles, but I suspect most of the cuts will be at 90* anyway. And for the few that aren't, I can pretty well eyeball it and fill the inaccuracies with spackel. Probably get started with that tomorrow.
PS: Hope the links will be useful! :-)

• Like 1

"Wow," he says in sudden understanding. "You weren't kidding! You stick your arms in that little space and you wouldn't be able to see a thing!" :doh:

I resisted the urge to slap him.

I wonder sometimes if our DH's and other family members ever realize how close they come to being annihilated sometimes!    :compress:

• Like 2

Art, I got my miter cutter from Micro Mark.  One of the reasons I like to use the iron-on wood veneer edging, in spite of the tedium of cutting all those strips, is that the thickness is much thinner than the craft sticks.  Also, check out Deb's and Jeremy's parquet floors.

• Like 1

Having one of those days when it is has been raining more or less the entire day which means play-time indoors....

So today I have been fiddling with the barrel chairs for the wine cellar in the lighthouse, still need to add those metal thingies to the leather edges around the top partso to speak. Just might be able to tackle the ceiling beams as well, ie soften the edges and make them look more crafted by hand rather than the straight edge trim pieces i bought originally....

Also need to get a few more packets of clay to finish the walls in the cellar and soon that area too will be sort of finished.

Hugs

Anna,  somewhere I read about using  broken pieces of jewelry chain and a small hammer to distress thee square stock into looking hand-hewn.  It miht also help the aged look to apply some bug juice.

• Like 1

I read something like that too, and I'll start it off with a Dremel session lter on, first a spinning round on the bike though. :)

Hugs

conquered it!!  (Forgive me Lord, for the 'magic words' muttered while my hubby's singing group practiced worship songs upstairs! :doh: )

hehehehehehehehe  I choked on my mt dew when I read that.  hehehehehe  

The steampunk observatory construction is completely finished now and I'm happy with the way it came out.  I'm working on steampunkery pieces for both interior and exterior now while I contemplate the landscaping.  Yesterday I made an interesting water pump for the yard that's two stories tall.  It'll go up against the side of the house like a regular water spigot on steroids.  I did a little 3D solar system model just for fun and even tho I got superglue all over my hands, I didn't glue any of my fingers together.  It's the little victories that mean so much.   :3rd:

• Like 1

Also, was looking at an Easy Cutter for cutting off the round ends of the sticks. 

My old Easy Cutter finally died after many long years of faithful and devoted service.  I was having a hard time finding a replacement and ran across this seller on Amazon who had them for $13 with free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/s?marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A1GW6M4CX4HEB8&merchant=A1GW6M4CX4HEB8&redirect=true  Can'tbeat that deal and I'm sooooo relieved to have an Easy Cutter again.  Not having one was like missing an appendage.  

• Like 1

You can get them directly from Midwest - the manufacturer. There is more than one company named that so you have to look carefully. I can't attach from where I am right now.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Deb! I've been using mine this week to cut the quarter round for the floors in my real life house. Blade is a little crooked, but my new one is packed away, not to be unpacked until floors are done!! Daddy has been loving using it, so I'm going to buy him one too. :)

Thanks for the link Deb! I've been using mine this week to cut the quarter round for the floors in my real life house. Blade is a little crooked, but my new one is packed away, not to be unpacked until floors are done!! Daddy has been loving using it, so I'm going to buy him one too. :)

I was super happy with the price since other places are between $20-$35 plus shipping.  I missed my Easy Cutter so much because it's literally an appendage when I'm building.  It's always on the cabinet to the right of my work table where I can reach out blindly and grab it without even looking.  I need to get one for Bruce since the only time I've ever seriously considered smacking him with a frying pan is when I reach out for my Easy Cutter and it's not there.  

• Like 2