What's everyone working on?

Pretty, pretty, pretty inspiratin house Deb! Come to think of it, I don't have any house in green, hmmm... Think we need to do something about that, ie after the lighthouse build as thatis nearing its completion now, going to finish thebase first though.

I fully understand the need for ridding oneself of certain words l am constantly working with that too!

Hugs

• Like 1

Deb, those issues are precisely why I never considered minis anything but a hobby.  I built a few houses that I sold because people wanted to buy them, and they went fairly quickly because I was a bit younger and had a lot more energy then (before the total heart block that necessitated the pacemaker in the first place).  Slowing down has involved a lot of emotional adjustments as well as physical ones; but I'm still on this side of the dirt, and therefore keep plugging along.

• Like 1

Just rinsed the brush from painting the base, or not so much painting but dabbing at with a very old brush, trying to get the stonelook ok.

Letting it dry for a while prior to do anything else to it. Stretching out neck and shoulds feels like a good idea as well! Painting like this makes me go into the zone so lost track of time a bit, good thing that I cleared away the everyday chores first :)

Am thinking of adding some water along the sides where i made deeper crevices (?) or "folds" we'll see

Hugs

Oh Deb, you make me giggle too!  :D   I can just see the cats skidding under the furniture at your sudden outburst! 

So glad to hear that you are making that necessary -yet somewhat painful-transition and are back to working on your Tenny!   When my health issues demanded that I retire from doing wedding cakes it took me a good 3-4 years to finally comes to terms with the loss.  And I still have my days when I lament the loss of my former life.  Nonetheless, I have filled my creative outlet with my houses now,  and am currently doing the Happy Dance over my newly installed staircase in the Ellwanger House! :banana:

• Like 2

So glad to hear that you are making that necessary -yet somewhat painful-transition and are back to working on your Tenny!   When my health issues demanded that I retire from doing wedding cakes it took me a good 3-4 years to finally comes to terms with the loss.  And I still have my days when I lament the loss of my former life.  Nonetheless, I have filled my creative outlet with my houses now,  

<nodding in agreement>  I was totally unaware of how hard it would hit me to have to give up my business that I loved so much.  I was a type A workaholic and my health slammed on the brakes and threw me into a skid when I was only 45.  I'm just 53 now and while I expected to slow down in middle age, I wasn't prepared for how dramatically my life changed. I could have handled the physical stuff but the cognitive decline is uncharted territory and it's scary.  Like Holly, I'm always glad to wake up every morning and grateful for every tiny thing I can accomplish, but there's a natural grief process for losing your own life so suddenly and so young.  However, I spent yesterday and this morning working on updating my website to remove all the links for shopping and custom orders and did so without crying.  Yay!  I'd been putting off that task for so long because it felt like I was giving up hope if I acknowledge anything more than a "temporary hiatus".  I think I've finally reached the stage of acceptance and am ready to move on.  <deep sigh of relief>  I can only talk about this here coz y'all are the only ones who understand exactly what dollhouses mean to one's heart and soul.  Thanks for letting me say all that.  I feel lots better now and ready to take on the world........or at least my Tennyson!

Speaking of which, I'm heading to the studio to start mixing up some paint samples till I find the shades I want so I can create my own paint chips.  Then I'll take them to Ace and have them mix up the quarts of latex for me to match.  It's easier than trying to dig thru all their paint samples and not finding *exactly* the right shades.  

Has anyone else tried the new colored wood stains?  Bruce got the blue and green to try out on his cigar box guitars and I have to say I like them a lot.  They'd work reeeeeeeally well for shingles, especially on a patterned roof or on a shingle sided house.  The colors stay true and pop the grain nicely.  

• Like 2

Deb, if it helps, think of this as "early retirement" and gradually you and Bruce will discover new things for you to do together.  I love my 27-speed road trike! and I still hike, just not 10+ miles at a time now.

Holly, I much prefer "early retirement" to "disabled".  It sound much more like I'm enjoying myself.  LOL!!  Cheryl, if not for my family here on the forum, I'd have lost what's left of my mind.  Miniaturists are a unique breed and we're the only ones who really understand each other.  

So this afternoon I un-staged the interior of the Tennyson after taking pictures of each room so I'll know where everything goes when it's time to refurnish it.  Everything is carefully packed into storage bins for the duration of construction and I'm ready to grab my pencil and start marking wallpaper lines and the wiring diagram before taking it apart.  But first we had to sit together and talk about her dreams and aspirations as a house.  She's a very gentle soul, this Tennyson.  You know how some houses are divas and some are princesses and some are blustery and bold.....all of my houses have had as many unique personalities as cats, but this one has something special.  She's every bit the gracious and gentle southern lady who wears pretty hats and grows flowers.  We bonded.

• Like 3

Your Tennyson sounds like a gentle soul Deb! Looking forward to seeing her transform into her own beauty with your guidance so to speak!

Over here the lighthouse is slooowly getting closer and closer to being "done" as done a house can get.

Not sure abut how helfull the minions will be in this as they did indeed discover the winecellar yesterday... Might need to give them easy tasks today :D as they seems to be sleeping it off right now.

Have my clay, stocked up on paints so as soon as hubby leaves for work in a little while I will start a load of laundry and get busy

Hugs

Deb, you are not disabled if things still work; they just work differently; when I was a school nurse with the health department I worked a lot with children with so-called disabilities, and they found unique ways to function in spite of what they didn't have (like the only little girl who didn't have any color on her teethe after the first brushing and the "disclosure" tablet) had been born without hands or arms and used her feet.  Right then and there I purged "disabled: from my  vocabulary.  Its also why the words "I couldn't" infuriate me so, because no on knows what they are or are not apable of if they don't try.  I certainly never imagined building little houses, much less making furniture and people for them.

• Like 1

Over here the lighthouse is slooowly getting closer and closer to being "done" as done a house can get.

Not sure abut how helfull the minions will be in this as they did indeed discover the winecellar yesterday... Might need to give them easy tasks today :D as they seems to be sleeping it off right now.

Have my clay, stocked up on paints so as soon as hubby leaves for work in a little while I will start a load of laundry and get busy

Hugs

Yay!!!!  Can't wait to see the grand finish!  Your lighthouse is a true work of art and the detailing is amazing.  I get lost in one little picture of a tiny corner of it and when it's finished I'm looking forward to settling in and taking my time going thru the pics one at a time to savor the tour from top to bottom.  

Holly, you're more creative than anyone I know when it comes to making every tiny bit and bob in a dollhouse.  I don't think there's a single aspect of miniatures that you can't do.  

I'm heading to the studio in a bit to inventory all the pieces of foundation and trim for the Tennyson and make sure nothing got lost in the move.  I know all the big pieces are there but I haven't gone thru the bin with all the smaller pieces yet so I'm crossing my fingers.

well I havent been doing much in the building dept lately...I did put together a castle 1/144th scale....

but today I put in an order for 3 bags of the birchwood floor tiles for Catriona's MHM and some railings to use on the upper balcony

on sat they are looking at a house to buy...and although we do not have a wedding date she has told me that baby fever has her and they want to be married before the next one...so I am just going to get on this house....it is no secret that it is not a house I would have chosen to build and I tried to talk her out of it...

but she loved it and I want to see it finished(as they can be) and outa my house and into hers....

hopefully when I dig into the box that holds all the remaining parts the directions will be in there....sigh....

need to take stock and dig into it...clean it all up find a transformer to see if any of the installed lighting still works and go from there.... I really do NOT like the colors she chose for the outside....

I put a fresh coat of paint on the Diana....I just cant seem to find my groove...

so I will make myself work on something each day until it comes back....

• Like 1

...I just cant seem to find my groove...

so I will make myself work on something each day until it comes back....

I think your muse is hiking Mt Everest with my muse. Mine's been gone for ages. We thought she was visiting the muse of Debra of Cape Cod. She seems to have moved on from there. But truly, I think she's trying to run as far away from home as possible because I'm so slow and boring to her. She probably hijacked yours on the way.

Sorry if I'm the cause of your runaway muse.

Good luck talking yours into coming home.

• Like 2

sigh....the muses on vaycay....Ill go with that and when they get back they will have many ideas and ways to implement them?? :hmm:

I have ideas just no will to go sit in there and doooooeeeeet....

tomorrow I am going to try to get up early enough to either go into Glendale to the Aunt Em's dollhouse store or the hobby store closest to us...I really want to put some elaborate trims on the MHM and do a painted lady approach...Catriona's days of telling me how she wants it is OVER

I am going to do it how I want and maybe after ...GULP....10yrs it will get finished...its the math...hate trying to figure out the math to make the cuts...

how I love my Greenleaf house's with their mostly easy to follow directions....Im spoiled to them....

Dean is home for the next 2 days so Sunday I will start...I am determined to make this a house she will be proud to display in her home....

did I really say 10 yrs....SIGH....she was 12 when I got my first dollhouse and 14 when she decided that SHE wanted to help build one...she did the kitchen...lol

in Sept she will be 24....it has all its furnishings and little doodads from a few kid swaps we did here on the forum...

muse...calling my muse please come home...I have minions to carry out your wishes!! :flowers:

hey thanks for the link also Pam....I put it in my favorites just in case!! I figure I could wing just about most of it...if I had the instructions.....

• Like 1

We did a test fitting as you can see. It's all being held together with spit and bailing wire, (masking tape, actually) like a house of cards. I was going to mark the floors for where the flooring will go, but now I think it might be better to construct the shell first before applying the flooring. And now for my question...how do I proceed with gluing all these pieces together? Even with 4 hands between us it's a bear trying to get everything set in place. Seems it could turn into a real mess once we once we introduce glue into the equation. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

When I glue it together (in the order the dry fit works out is best) I tape it back up until the glue is dry (except along the edges I also pop in a few heavy duty staples along the edge to help hold it for then and then on).

• Like 1

We weren't sure and found different pics showing it both ways. So, we just flipped a coin and, OILA!! Also, we decided to wallpaper the living room and bedroom, and use printable tile for the kitchen and bathroom floors. Found those on Pintrest!

Well ok so my muse doesn't seem to keen on working on water features around the lighthouse base as the bottle of "flexible" water ie railway scenery stuff for making running water is noooo where to be seen, and I knew I had it close by last week. <muttering under breath.....>

:hmm: now wait a minute, there are minions around, pirate minions come to think of it.... Need to look into that part a little more I think???

Hugs

• Like 1

I did make it to Aunti Emm's...enjoyed visiting with the owner...she is very knowledgeable even if she doesnt love Greenleaf products...lol

she had about 30 HOM kits so I picked up 2 I didnt have for sis MHM and another clock...I have made several of the grandfather clocks and I love them.

found lovely etched stripwood but all of it too long to fit on scooti...so next time I go I have to get a ride in a car...

I feel inspired to make furniture and to dig out the mhm box later today after Dean leaves for the week and start reacquainting myself...

I really want to do a painted Lady...our main house color is grey...she does not want that to change

the addition was always going to be cedar shake shingled for top floor and stone work for the lower....these are things I can move forward on and shingle the roof

I will take and post photos of the poor dear before I get started....

Catriona and her guys will be looking at 6 houses today...I told her make sure there is a space for the dollhouse...it is after all 4ft tall and 4 ft wide!

• Like 1