What's everyone working on?

I took a day off from steam cleaning the real life house, intending to rest my hands, but the siren song of the steampunk wooed me back into the studio.  I thought I'd just audition board sizes for  the base and, well, you know how those things work out.  After I'd put the house on one base I thought, "Hmm....in that proportion it looks like it needs a greenhouse on the side" and then turned my head to the left where there was a GL greenhouse kit sitting out in plain view on one of the shelves.  Now it's assembled and half painted so apparently there's going to be a greenhouse addition. It happened before I could even give it much thought but that's the way of these things. LOL!!   After that the house started whispering another idea to me (okay, whispering is an understatement.....it's more like a two-year old's tempter tantrum complete with stomping feet and loud screaming) so I'm toying with some ideas for that.  It's a heavenly concept and would be out of this world if I can make it happen.  

• Like 2

Sounds like super fun! Jealous ...

We are still in the throes of spring/summer kiddo room hoe outs so no mini fun happening here. sigh ...

Fingers crossed we are done by tomorrow. Already donated 20 bags of clothes and shoes yesterday. We're on the toy side now.

• Like 2

Sounds like great progress. What a huge mansion this is turning out to be!! Any new pictures for us?

I still don't have a camera, but Lisa was going to take some pictures of the new addition this week, I think. If she does and sends them to me, I'll post them.

• Like 2

I'm still working on the Micro Appleby. Had to finally give in and order some trim for the ceiling corners of the main Appleby. Hated to spend the money, but it really needs something to hide the irregularities of the walls. So while I wait for that I'm working on the little one. I'm using a large cable/zip tie for the stairway. Looks pretty good when it's painted. Now I need to figure out how to make the banister for it.

• Like 3

I'm still working on the Micro Appleby. ... I'm using a large cable/zip tie for the stairway. Looks pretty good when it's painted. Now I need to figure out how to make the banister for it.

Clever you!

• Like 1

My Muse whacked me upside the head with a series of facts yesterday.

Fact 1:  The Loganberry needs a purpose.  Steampunk without a purpose is just a bunch of gears and sprockets.

Fact 2:  This house is intended to be a workshop/laboratory for Dr. Thaddeus Robertson (my invisible friend and miniature scientist) who is not-so-loosely based upon my Dad.

Fact 3:  Dad had PhD's in physics and chemistry but he also had a passion for astronomy.

Fact 4:  The Loganberry roof line is absolutely perfect for an observatory.  All it needs is a hole cut in the roof and a big ole telescope.

Once my ears quit ringing it was glaringly obvious to me.  My Loganberry is officially the Steampunk Observatory.  I don't have the roof on yet, but I built the telescope this morning.  This pic doesn't show all the detailing on it but it gives you a general idea of how it turned out.  <happy toe wiggling>  Now that I know where I'm going with this house, I'm even more excited than ever.  

post-329-0-42606900-1435337187_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The price is right, too!  I got a package of 5, each 24" long, for $2.50 at Walmart.  Lose about 3" off the ends, which leaves 21" of usable tie, and each staircase is about 1.25" long - so I should be able to get roughly 80 staircases out of that.  Now THAT fits my budget!   :)    I think I'll start looking through my stash of paper doilies - see if there's anything that would work for a banister.

Oops! looks like Deb and I were posting at the same time. My post is in reference to Debra's comment on the zip ties. 

• Like 2

Hi everyone!  My mini work has been on hold while I wait on the electricity kit to arrive but I haven't been completely idle.  I am working on the granny squares for the master bedroom afghan in my daughter's dollhouse (she decided on a beach theme for the room.  I also have a craft room room box I am working on and went in search of fabric for upholstering - thought I had hit on some things but alas I have made the same mistake in my mini that I ALWAYS make in my real house - I chose paint color first and am having a hideous time matching it!  I am going to do pink and green so I think I will ditch the idea of pink fabrics and just go green and cream....

Edited by pezadoodle
  • Like 1

The price is right, too!  I got a package of 5, each 24" long, for $2.50 at Walmart.  Lose about 3" off the ends, which leaves 21" of usable tie, and each staircase is about 1.25" long - so I should be able to get roughly 80 staircases out of that.  Now THAT fits my budget!   :)    I think I'll start looking through my stash of paper doilies - see if there's anything that would work for a banister.

Oops! looks like Deb and I were posting at the same time. My post is in reference to Debra's comment on the zip ties. 

Really looking forward to seeing pictures when you're finished with the staircase. I can't visualize how you get the shape to stay fixed. They are sure made of a stubborn material.

• Like 1

Debra, you are always welcome over at the Steampunk Observatory at Daisy's place too. I finally got a stool made so that Daisy will quit nagging. post-2873-0-35495400-1435409772_thumb.jp As usual, poke picture to make it bigger.

Deb, could you make a sliding roof? If so you could move the telescope around to see the whole sky. I love the telescope! Well done!

Great job on the telescope Deb!  When the Summerhouse is done, we'll have to roll on over and star gaze with ya!

Awesome!!!  We'd have a wonderful time!   I've been thinking about making a mini model of the galaxy (steam powered of course) so even on cloudy nights we'd be able to watch the planets.  

Deb, could you make a sliding roof? If so you could move the telescope around to see the whole sky. I love the telescope! Well done! 

Hmmm.  That's a definite possibility and one I'll have to attempt when I start putting the roof together.  Casey, I'd forgotten that you had a steampunk observatory so please forgive me if I'm duplicating your concept.  My memory is slipping a lot more these days as is my reading comprehension.  That's why I've gotten out of the habit of reading blogs and I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't read yours in ages.  When I get a good-brain day I'm going to try to catch up on yours and Debra's as well.   

<chuckling>  Guess what Bruce found for me yesterday?  Mini Minions!!!  He said that even if Dr. Robertson isn't trying to take over the world he could still use some assistance in the laboratory.  <gleeful giggles>  I'm totally twitterpated with the idea and put them to work immediately.  They range between 1/2" and 3/4" tall so they're just about right.

post-329-0-34750400-1435512903_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Deb, where did Bruce find them? They are my favorite characters right now. I promise not to put them in mini scenes. I just want one or two th carry around with me.

Umm ... hate to think how Tessie might react to the little buggers. 

• Like 1