What's everyone working on?

I am doing the happy dance over here! :banana:   The interior of the Ellwanger House is finished!!  I posted a bunch of photos!  Sorry some of them are blurry - I think I need to play around with my macro setting a bit, rather than the regular setting.  Anywho- it's on to the front porch!

oh dang! the bathroom fixture isn't working now... 0.o  and it seems like that piece of tapewire isn't getting power any more...??  Oh bother.  Well, I'll fix the front porch and get back to that later.

I really like this method of iron on veneer. I originally decided to go with popsticks. Just like me to choose a more time consuming, tedious method! We decided to do printable "tile" floors for the kitchen and bathroom. I printed the tile pattern for the bathroom on glossy photo paper which I mounted last night and am pleased with the results. Next is the kitchen and then the wood in the bedroom and livingroom. Was at Michael's yesterday and saw some patterned felt sheets that I thought might make good area rugs.

I used paint to mimic linoleum in my farmhouse kitchen.  I've used paint chips

gallery_8_1766_126608.jpg

and recycled RL glass tiles

gallery_8_1103_62353.jpg

and the self-adhesive tiles Greenleaf sells, too.:

gallery_8_988_144257.jpg

...Anyone got a great idea on how to mimic terracotta tiles?  Leaning towards a terracotta look in the kitchen.

I wadded up some pinkish brown thick packing paper, smoothed it out and hit it with dry brushing:

gallery_8_3403_3218.jpg

I used paint to mimic linoleum in my farmhouse kitchen.  I've used paint chips

gallery_8_1766_126608.jpg

and recycled RL glass tiles

gallery_8_1103_62353.jpg

and the self-adhesive tiles Greenleaf sells, too.:

gallery_8_988_144257.jpg

I wadded up some pinkish brown thick packing paper, smoothed it out and hit it with dry brushing:

gallery_8_3403_3218.jpg

Wow! Those are all really nice!

Distressing things is one of my very favorite things to do.  I also like making things look old.  <wicked grin>  Jackie, congrats on finishing the interior!!  That's always cause for a celebration!  It really came out gorgeous too.

I've been in the Zone this morning; spending three hours painting porch rails while listening to Dandelion Wine on audiobook.  Ray Bradbury is a good companion for this house.  I had to force myself to stop coz I was stiffening up too much but it was just so lovely to sit there and paint.  

• Like 5

with the stairs put together I realised that the lower stairs were not making me happy

so my very first project when my new Dremel moto saw comes tomorrow is....making a landing and split the stairs....fortunately the room is good size and it will not make it small to do this...I have my card board mock up made left over scraps from the original build....and  since I am not making the balcony/porch rails for the outside..I am using some of those items to create the banister and rails for the landing...

Im happy to say my daughter is now sounding excited again about her house and the house itself seems to have woken up...with suggestions that could make all of us happy

and she doesnt care if its lit up or not...so it will not...her sweet Antonio has a cousin who is 1 week older than he and a 4 yr old and 12 yr old girls who will most likely be playing with the house...so it needs to be kid friendly......but yet not a toy in looks.

today I will be playing with my wood scraps to come up with wainscoting designs...perhaps each room will get its own look...wont know until I start installing...

I am sitting in disbelief that I have actual excitement about this house...something I really never have had before...even the day we purchased it...

just needed reminding that in fact I am a dollhouse builder(ty all) and a little spackle hides MUCH!!  :sleazy:

• Like 5

Been in the clay zone, so am just now stretching neck and shoulders after some hours... Put a few pics of the new ceiling roof/floor which is much more pleasing to my eye compared with the other one. Will need some drying time and paint but all in all it is getting there. Now if I could get hubby to pick up a sheet of the plywood so that I can cut a new base piece, now that would be just purr-fect...

Hugs

Thanks Gayle!  The Zone is my happy place and it feels soooo good to be back there.  I even decided to dust off my blog and try to keep updates on the Tennyson going.  I don't think I can manage a building blog with tuts but at least I can sorta document the process which is a start.

Lynette, I'm so tickled that you're back in the Zone too!!!  You're a builder at heart and getting back into it will make your spirit lighter and happier.  It feels like coming home, doesn't it?  

Anna, I LOVE your clay work.  Such straight, clean lines!!!!  No wonder your shoulders ache because that's some super meticulous work there and it's gorgeous!  

I was able to get three out of the four porch/balcony railing pieces repainted yesterday.  <chuckling>  It took four or five coats to get the ivory to cover the dark green I had started with and that's more paint on a piece of wood than I'd like but it'll still look good from a passing car.  One more piece to go and I can set those aside and start on something else.  I ordered the french doors for downstairs and the screen door for upstairs as well as a large octagonal window for the attic.  I had small ones in my stash but needed a big one for the other window.  As soon as those get here I'll break out my trusty Trio and enlarge the openings.  I know the screen door is going to need to be cut down since those are a little larger than 1:12 but I figured that if it turns out to be too big I'll use the art of optical illusion by propping the door open and the difference won't be noticeable.  

Today will find me waiting for the Fed Ex guy to bring the new 8 foot table I ordered for the dollhouse loft.  I'm back up to 14 completed dollhouses in there so a new display table is required. The Tenny has a place reserved in the bedroom where it matches the decor but the steampunk observatory needs a place to live. 

• Like 1

I think that I am in the "zone" working on the cabin.   I spent a lot of the day yesterday working on furnishings.   The only thing that bothers me is the cabin is pretty dark inside.  I am painting furniture in New Mexico colors and going to add bright accessories to try and lighten it up! 

Starting work on the Ellwanger porch.  I've never built a porch properly, LOL, so this is going to be a learning experience! 

Most houses that I've worked on, the porch was firmly in place and I worked around it.  This one is a re-build....well, at least partially.  The porch posts were completely broken off and the entire thing was made as a separate piece.  ??? 0.o  So it has been my job to get it firmly attached to the house and back into its former glory. 

The porch base has been finished and attached several months ago, so now I am fiddling with getting the porch posts cut to the proper length....which has been a challenge for me for some reason! :dunce:  Partly due to the fact that I have not a single option that will make a straight, even cut!! :pullhair:  I think I need to invest in another small saw of some sort for these items that are too big for the EZ cutter to handle.  I've rigged up a 'fence' on my bandsaw, so maybe I can get that to work tonite.  So, if I can get that working, I should have all the posts cut and prepped for assembly by the end of the evening!  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

I've been scraping the old faded, shedding grass paper off of the former base of the Cambridge; that stuff wants to stay stuck!   Once I get it off and let the board dry I'll set the farmhouse on it and mark tht part off, then paint th rest for the farmyard.  I want to make a rabbit hutch, a hen coop and a bit of pig sty for the animals I've collected.

• Like 2

after going online to see which end of my blades go in how...I had my dremel moto saw up and running...YAY....

first lil project was to cut the supports for the tower doors...hmmmmmm... anyone know where I can order some angled molding

and if I find it how will I know if its the right size? I found 1 peice in my leftovers almost the correct size that Im suppose to cut but I need 4 pieces for the whole door

in the MHM kit this is part 5-165....

bummer of this is I need about 24 inches of this type of trim...

going to call the Auntie Emm's dollhouse shop because they only build this type of house...wish me luck there....

could be why we stopped where we did as that is the next step in the directions...SIGH....on to the next project of making the staircase they way I have it mocked up

had to break for food....the ups and downs of the hour made me hungry...lol

wonder what color stain I used on the front door...as it would be super nice if all the stain used on the outside was the same.....

Tip of the day.....write your colors or even better dab a little dot with the name in the instructions if for some reason your project is gonna wait...for say 10 yrs for you to get back to it....lol.... :doh:

• Like 3

Keeping fingers crossed that you will get hold of the illusive trim!

Over here I am doing a happy dance over an ebay find, ie a ceiling light for the bedroom in the lighthouse. It is a white base, brass trim and purple/mauve(?)/burgundy glass shades that I hope will suit the colours of the room purr-fect.post-90-0-84384500-1437545489_thumb.jpg

Hugs

• Like 3

Have been putting shingles on the roof - shingles I say shingles for weeks shingles!!!

Finally finished those= SHINGLES.....

Makes me think of the old Abbott abd Costello routine, "Niagara Falls, slowly I turned..." LOL!
  • Like 2

Shinling is one thing that makes me zone out, all while singing "Shingling bells, shinglins bells.." For me it is the electrifying that is sooooo no fun.

Love the LED lights..

Hugs

• Like 1

Have been working with the clay today, after I made another door for the lighthouse cellar, so kow I am awaiting the paper clay to dry on both the muwic room roof and the lighthouse cellar... Awaiting things to dry is not a strenght of mine.....

Hugs

• Like 2

Working on shingling my Storybook Cottage, and stripping down another Craigslist found dollhouse. One of those it's apparent they were trying to paint the exact color scheme from the box way back when. I don't mind purple... but for the entirety of a house from the roof down done in so many shades -- it's going to be changed! lol

• Like 2

I also find shingling to be relaxing...I know its weird....

for every step forward...lol...last night after much searching here I finally googled how to make stained wood floors and it led me back to 

the Gazette....sigh but with little effort I now have a parquet floor sanded and its first stain applied drying under weights....lol...

I went and got some real paint to do the outside but did not take the color I was using and now I feel it is too blue...waiting for kid to weigh in before I put some turquoise into the paint to darken it up....I wanted to lighten the color not change it to blue...but everyone knows me and blue...lol...

not that it looks bad but wasnt what I was going for....

I also have been playing with skinny sticks-tongue depressors and popsicle sticks to come up with some type of wainscoting that I am happy with

to me it sticks out to much...thoughts? :hmm:

and also just how far up does wainscoting go?

hoping to to decide that so I can apply the stucco to the upper half....I have decided to do one room at a time and since the entry way already has its door installed and next to the finished Kitchen I thought that would be my best starting point....

I wish I was not so wishy washy about making choices it really makes life frustrating constantly 2nd guess every little step....

ooooo and Ive named the house...Albie...short  for albatros!! if the house wont comply I will make fun of it!!  :sleazy:

• Like 1