What's everyone working on?

Great job painting the floor Anna, there'll be no stopping you now with the paperclay. Wish we could get it over here but its as rare as the proverbial "rocking horse ****"

Anna, your floor is amazing - what a great job you did painting it! :yes:

Judith - perhaps you will find an even better place, and be glad you were pushed into this move. :) Fingers crossed!

[/quote)

:flowers:Thanks Rosalind, Brae and Jo. I do indeed have my singers crossed for a place I'll like just as much. My friend Rita came yesterday and helped me to get started packing up my kitchen and dining room. We got a fair amount done and she'll be back next weekend to help out again. Meanwhile during the week I'll be packing up some of the smaller things in the kitchen separating the things I want to take with me and the things I'll probably either put in storage or get rid of altogether. This moving thing is a bummer, you feel so "uprooted" in limbo kinda, not there, but not really here any more either. At the moment the only room in the place that isn't in some form of disarray is the bathroom, and considering what a neat-nik I've been in the past it's very unsettling :sad_angel: , I'm just hoping that this application process goes quickly so I can get back to normal as quickly as possible.

Judith, I truly feel your pain. Beginning Thursday we're moving ourselves 200 miles to the West. from a house we've lived in (and accumulated "stuff" in for 20+ years. Our problem wasn't rent, but health considerations due to aging...

Hi! I'm still working on my Brimbles pub, but if I say that I've started to plan 4 other Greenleaf builds I'm really far from the truth - I have them in my head, very detailed, all truely beautiful and now all I need is the kits to go from vision to reality :) What I'm planning: A genuine old cottage true to the houses in the part of southern Sweden called Skåne, with an artistic touch to it (Glencroft), a tiny shabby chic house which I'll try to keep as white as possible, a true challenge since I love colors (Orchid), a steampunk-themed house (McKinley) and a vampire retreat with a touch of history (Chantilly). Well, we all have unusual dreams, don't we! ;)

...I've started to plan 4 other Greenleaf builds...A genuine old cottage true to the houses in the part of southern Sweden called Skåne, with an artistic touch to it (Glencroft), a tiny shabby chic house which I'll try to keep as white as possible, a true challenge since I love colors (Orchid), a steampunk-themed house (McKinley) and a vampire retreat with a touch of history (Chantilly). Well, we all have unusual dreams, don't we! ;)
Not unusual for us miniaturists, Jannika.

Great floor Anna!

I'm mostly moved in at the new apartment. My wife loves the extra room and the fact that its a "gated community" :rolleyes: but there is one glitch. The two extra bedrooms (one of which was going to be my workroom) require tight turns to enter them, so the Tudor won't fit into either room. Therefore it has been put in our master bedroom- where the kids can get to it. So far they haven't done any damage to it, but it has gotten their attention. I don't know when we'll be completely unpacked and I'll be able to get back to work on it. Hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Jeremy - I cringe to think that house will go through any more trauma!

Just made a snake plant from floral tape and wire (with earl grey tea 'dirt' in the pot). I rediscovered a book I had from 1988 with all sorts of house plants. Expect to see more plants soon. :D

gallery_4679_4448_7253.jpg

Thank you! The plant stand is a McQueenie Miniatures kit. In this photo, the hydrangea was purchased and I made the quilled roses and bowl about 25 years ago. The rug is a paper printout.

gallery_4679_3429_27656.jpg

Great floor Anna!

I'm mostly moved in at the new apartment. My wife loves the extra room and the fact that its a "gated community" :rolleyes: but there is one glitch. The two extra bedrooms (one of which was going to be my workroom) require tight turns to enter them, so the Tudor won't fit into either room. Therefore it has been put in our master bedroom- where the kids can get to it. So far they haven't done any damage to it, but it has gotten their attention. I don't know when we'll be completely unpacked and I'll be able to get back to work on it. Hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Jeremy, have you tried standing it on end and moving it like it was a person going through the door? Or is the turn too tight for even that?

Everybody has been so busy! I've been out for awhile dealing with RL -- wish I could mini all the time! I bought four of Greenleaf's birdhouses (3 bird, one butterfly) and had a lot of fun making them. They are very easy! DH and I had a booth at our town's 2-day festival this last weekend and I was sure they would sell -- but they didn't dry.gif My micro Garfield is waiting patiently for me on my work table -- only about half done.

Judith and Holly -- I wish you well on moving. Not a fun thing to do! I've moved around most of my life, but we've been settled back home in WA for 11 years now and I don't want to even THINK about moving.:unsure:

Thanks, CJ; this is our 18th move. When we moved into this house 20+ years ago it was the intention of staying until time to go to the other side of the dirt, but I never dreamed I'd live this long; with this pacemaker solving one of the hereditary problems and the meds another, I've outlived everyone else in my family, and DH's family is naturally long-lived, anyway. ABC evening news is running a week-long series about the lifestyles of today's retiring "baby-boomers" and we're right in step, apparently, Judith.

I'm definitely planning to make up for lost mini time once I have a workshop there! Having a RL house to decorate & do things to with is going to have to do for the time being.

Thanks Brae! I figure if I can build it, I can fix it. BTW, your plants are amazing!

Judith- I thought about standing on end, but its pretty heavy and I'm afraid I won't be able to get it out once the last 3,000 bricks are added next month.

Holly- Say it isn't so! We never got a chance to meet in person. I was supposed to head up to the panhandle to visit my sister while she's on vacation in Port St. Joe, but I have to watch my budget until November, so no chance of making a trip your way. Have a safe move.

Thank you, Jeremy. There was no time our last trip through G'ville with DS#3 on our way to visit the inlaws. We are spending the week after Labor Day at the St Joseph Peninsula State Park. We're actually moving to a suburb of Pensacola, it happens to be located less than a mile west of the state line in AL. I want very much to see both houses, as well as to meet you and your wife and those gorgeous children!

Thanks Brae! I figure if I can build it, I can fix it. BTW, your plants are amazing!

Judith- I thought about standing on end, but its pretty heavy and I'm afraid I won't be able to get it out once the last 3,000 bricks are added next month.

Jeremy, it might take a little doing because of the weight, but if the edges along the base of the house are solid and strong, you might be able to use a quilt to bring it in and out. :construction: Use two people to get it as far as the doorway, then set it on the quilt and gently tilt it upright allowing the weight of the house to rest on the quilt. Keep it tilted slightly as you would if it was on a dolly and slide it in (or in this case Pull it in behind you). Sliding it on the quilt will eliminate the worry :sad_2: about the weight as the quilt will redistribute the weight so it can be moved by one person (can you tell I've done this before?) I've soooooo been here with large pieces of furniture. Being a single woman I've done a lot of "by myself" moving in my time and I had to find a way to create that "extra" set of hands to help me. I learned pretty quick that sliding anything is easier than lifting it (good workout for the arms and saves the back) :flex: . Also, taking the door off the hinges temporarily will give you a couple more inches.

After everything you've been through with this house, I know that moving it is serious business for you, but I can't help but be reminded of a scene from a British comedy "Are You Being Served". Four men are in a basement trying to remove a bed from a room with a narrow doorway. Each man takes a corner and they lift it but can't get it out the door. They put it down in disgust, and their two female friends push them aside, take the bed and turn it on it's side (picture a single staple) and "walk the legs" of the bed around the door frame, then "walk, walk, walk, and turn" the bed right out of the room to the amazment of their male counterparts :o . Keep smiling Jeremy, that house is going in your craft room even if we have to shift it through a window ;) .

• Like 1

Well, I have a serious job today -- must read carefully through the resumes, then interview each applicant, for a job as a curator for a museum. Don't want to hire the wrong person! There are seven applicants, and each one has something to offer -- Man or woman? Old or young? Tough to choose the right one!

Translated into RL language: deciding which of Wolfie's dolls to buy! :rofl:

The (RL) company I work for started a couple bonus plans at the beginning of the year -- one is a gift card for surpassed goals. I've got 3 gift cards saved up (spent the first ones too fast!) and decided they should go for something very special. I could buy groceries (gone in 3 days) or fill the gas tank and have enough left over for a latte (again, gone in 3 days) or pay the electric bill (due again in 30 days) OR I could INVEST in my hobby and buy something that will last 30 YEARS! When you get it all out in the right perspective -- it's a no-brainer. The decision is almost made -- I'll go do the laundry and think about a little bit longer. It will be hard to tell 6 of them they didn't make the cut; but in these tough economic times, only one can be hired.

Well, I have a serious job today -- must read carefully through the resumes, then interview each applicant, for a job as a curator for a museum. Don't want to hire the wrong person! There are seven applicants, and each one has something to offer -- Man or woman? Old or young? Tough to choose the right one!

Translated into RL language: deciding which of Wolfie's dolls to buy! :rofl:

The (RL) company I work for started a couple bonus plans at the beginning of the year -- one is a gift card for surpassed goals. I've got 3 gift cards saved up (spent the first ones too fast!) and decided they should go for something very special. I could buy groceries (gone in 3 days) or fill the gas tank and have enough left over for a latte (again, gone in 3 days) or pay the electric bill (due again in 30 days) OR I could INVEST in my hobby and buy something that will last 30 YEARS! When you get it all out in the right perspective -- it's a no-brainer. The decision is almost made -- I'll go do the laundry and think about a little bit longer. It will be hard to tell 6 of them they didn't make the cut; but in these tough economic times, only one can be hired.

LOL. I was going to send you my resume!!!! You got me! Kat

:D Well in the midst of all the packing and planning and worrying, I decided to take a couple of hours for myself and do a lttle work on the firehouse. The poor thing has been sitting there for over a week with absolutely no attention being paid to it. So today I pulled out my trusty Dremel and made the holes in the 2nd and 3rd floor where the fireman's pole will go and I glued my version of beams to the ceiling of the office (pics in gallery). :construction: I wanted to do a little more with the beams, but it just seemed to get messier and messier trying to make all the little built up angled pieces fit, so I did the basic and now I'll just pray for better jigs and hopefully a compound miter saw as Xmas gifts :xmas_tree: . At the moment I'm debating when will be the best time for me to make a quick dash to the store before it gets too late. It's hovering somewhere around 100 degrees right now :tumbleweed: and I don't fancy being out in all that heat. Think I'll just wait until sundown.

I haven't been able to do any mini work since I moved. The day after getting into the new place my gut lit up and has been burning ever since. If it wasn't for Zofran I wouldn't be able to do anything at all. Last time this happened it took 4 months to resolve itself and I dropped to 80 lbs. Looking back I was a stubborn 14 year-old who was paranoid about going to the doctor, so I didn't get it taken care of. I didn't make the same mistake this time around, but the meds aren't do much good either.

I gotta get my dining room finished! :furious: