What's everyone working on?

If you recall the post Deb made about the wee Thomas Kinkaide Christmas building ornaments at Wal Mart, I used the N-scale people as carolers to set up a Christmas village in my White Orchid.

I do remember those ornaments, and no WalMart in our area had them. I was so disappointed! :( The N-scale people would be perfect to put into a dollhouse; and on those two websites you'll find just about everything you could want. They even had a package of 72 people in various poses, but unpainted -- for only $8. I almost bought it, but painting a tiny little shoe and a tiny little shirt and tiny little pants :yikes: ... decided not to get it after all!

The train show DH & I attended last weekend had a package of the unpainted people in HO scale. I already had N'scale kits to build him a plastic quonset hut and a wood train car toolhouse that I might apprpriate for one of my dh children.

I'm trying to make a small museum to round out my town! I'm considering adding an empty podium labeled, "Hand Sculpture" and letting my friends put their hands there. That way, everyone can be a part of the houses!

Thanks for the suggestions! The tacky glue worked well and the kitchen curtains are all installed. about half of the dining room walls are paneled and awaiting paint.

We're moving in just over 2 weeks, so work will be winding down for the next month. There isn't much left to do with the 1st floor of the Tudor house, so I should start ramping up work on the 2nd floor inlay by mid-August or early September.

Good luck with the move, Jeremy. Hopefully you'll have more room for your upcoming mini :thumb:

I am almost afraid to write this, but I am coming into the home stretch(I think)

My bathroom shower stall did not come out well :( It was a good idea, but my hands just will not make it work for me. Oh well, c'est la vie :p The worst is I now have to wait for the one I ordered to get here :mad:

Gotta put the final coats of paint on the stairs and install them, then curtains, and attaching the addition roofs once the shower gets here. After that, it's furnish and enjoy! Can't wait!

At the moment I'm trying to figure out what kind of a ceiling I'm going to do on the fire house :hmm: . I want to do something interesting and I have lots of cardstock in different colors but don't want to do anything that's plain. In the last few minutes I've been thinking maybe a beamed ceiling or a coffered ceiling of some kind but I'm not really sure of the best way to go about doing the coffered look. Trying not to spend more money on supplies if I don't have to because I still have a long way to go on this as far as accessories are concerned and that's going to take quite a bit of cash. So, I have to restrain myself as much as I can. Any suggestions on how to do an inexpensive coffered look?

Any suggestions on how to do an inexpensive coffered look?

I'm think'n some kind of plastic insert for candies or cookies - but which one? You could create a built-up ceiling using craft sticks, etc. or poster board / mat board. And add molding if you're ambitious. Also wood or cardboard could be cut into modular pieces - cut at 45 deg. angles at the ends (use a simple miter box/saw.) The coffered ceiling is basically the same shape repeated. Good luck thumb_yello.gif

gallery_4762_4046_69590.png

I'm think'n some kind of plastic insert for candies or cookies - but which one? You could create a built-up ceiling using craft sticks, etc. or poster board / mat board. And add molding if you're ambitious. Also wood or cardboard could be cut into modular pieces - cut at 45 deg. angles at the ends (use a simple miter box/saw.) The coffered ceiling is basically the same shape repeated. Good luck thumb_yello.gif

Mike to the rescue again! :cops: I tried doing a simple grid last night, didn't much like the way it came out, it would have been much better if I had daedoed the pieces but I just didn't have the time. The pic you posted is much more interesting, and I actually have a bag of craft sticks that I can experiment with. I'm gonna give it a try and see if I can come up with something presentable. Thanks Mike, you're a lifesaver.:shipwrecked:

Glad you posted this, Mike. We can always count on you! I wanted something other than "plain" for a ceiling but wasn't sure what to do. This helps a lot and I'm bookmarking your link. Thanks :p

I have finally started on my summer project - a large basement addition. It will contain two large rooms - a lounge and a rec room, plus a bathroom and small patio. All done in the style of the early 1960's.

I've never done anything in that period before, but it's been fun. Made a little stereo and lots of records.

Right now, I'm letting stain dry and procrastinating on real housework. :)

Mike to the rescue again! :cops: I tried doing a simple grid last night, didn't much like the way it came out, it would have been much better if I had daedoed the pieces but I just didn't have the time. The pic you posted is much more interesting, and I actually have a bag of craft sticks that I can experiment with. I'm gonna give it a try and see if I can come up with something presentable. Thanks Mike, you're a lifesaver.:shipwrecked:

I forgot to mention you should use a stop at one end of the miter box, so that all the parts are the same size. The stop, craft stick & miter box should all be clamped.

gallery_4762_4046_71052.png

Holly, I got my little-bitty-peeps! :yes: They are so cute, and so tiny! Here's a few pictures, more are in my Gallery in the Micro Mini Album.

I've left the roof of the church removeable. I put a beam at the top (inside) to hold the shape, then put dabs of Mini-Hold wax at the corners.

post-4286-0-20079500-1309653319_thumb.jp

There are a couple more people in the barn, but here's the cow getting milked ;)

post-4286-0-38697300-1309653322_thumb.jp

And, of course, the Fourth of July BBQ at the Farmhouse! The flagpole is a toothpick - looks like a telephone pole!:(

post-4286-0-22543400-1309653326_thumb.jp

These little people are just too cute!

Hi Everyone! I've been working many hours on my Dura Craft Victorian Mansion. I have taken the traditional door and cut it for a faux stained glass window. Ive painted the house a soothing yellow. I'm now working on the floor for the living room. What do you think so far? The house was temporarily assembled just so I could trace the outline on the base so I can work on the floor then it was dis-assembled again. I was just playing with the garage door while I had the chance.

Cheryl

post-5895-0-05597100-1309669837_thumb.jpgpost-5895-0-20705500-1309670417_thumb.jpgpost-5895-0-44965500-1309671116_thumb.jpg

post-5895-0-05597100-1309669837_thumb.jp

post-5895-0-20705500-1309670417_thumb.jp

post-5895-0-44965500-1309671116_thumb.jp

Great floor, Cheryl!

And Checkmouse, your mini people are wonderful - and the cow, too. thumb_yello.gif

I"ve just been making furniture using toothpicks - They don't look like telephone poles in 1/12 scale. :)

Great floor, Cheryl!

And Checkmouse, your mini people are wonderful - and the cow, too. thumb_yello.gif

I"ve just been making furniture using toothpicks - They don't look like telephone poles in 1/12 scale. :)

I was surprised when I took the picture and noticed the toothpick -- it's huge! I thought it would make a perfect flagpole! Oh, well, it's staying there now!

Those little people are great! They are N gauge? I might have to get a few for my cafe and hotel.

Yes, Kathryn, they are designed for the N-guage trains and there is HUGE selection! :unsure: I had to limit myself and not spend too much. I got them at www.ModelTrainStuff.com. I've got several more things on my wish list :ohyeah:

Yes, Kathryn, they are designed for the N-guage trains and there is HUGE selection! :unsure: I had to limit myself and not spend too much. I got them at www.ModelTrainStuff.com. I've got several more things on my wish list :ohyeah:

Uh oh... I think I'm in trouble. I think you just got me back for the sdk site. :giggle:

I took a break from packing and put a few hours in on the Tudor yesterday. All of the dining room walls are paneled, the kitchen entrance archway is about 1/2 finished and most of the baseboard and crown is prepped and ready for installation. I'm still waiting for the dining room walls to "talk to me" but I'm leaning towards the almond I used for the kitchen walls, Maybe with a little brown added to give it a more warm but calming look. I'm still not convinced that wallpaper wouldn't work with the room, but I don't have easy access to any without making a 3 - 4 hour drive to Orlando.

If it wasn't for the complex foyer lighting I have planned, the entire 1st floor could have been done before the move.

My usual summer things....... pouring new dolls, cleaning them, firing them, painting them.....I know - boring! But to me it's "bringing little people to life - one little person at a time!"

Still chipping away on cutting and painting trim for the Foxhall. Not terribly happy with the way my miters are coming out. I almost want to invest in a compound miter thingie...i wonder if Harbor Freight still has one...or if Lowes has one that will handle mini scale items???. We shall see in the next month or so. planning a big camping trip here in a couple of weeks so I need to concentrate most of my dollars there. I'm really enjoying being back in mini mode again! I've been accumulating more wallpaper for the Queen Anne and bits of furniture here and there for the Foxhall. I need to take updated photos of both houses this week! :idiot: I have so many ideas floating around in my head and not enough time for them all!

Holy Moly i'm tired. my dog woke me up at 2:45 am and again at 6:15. She wanted to play. I am so sleepy but I don't want to go back to bed. I need another cup of coffee, then i'm off to glue in the trim in a couple of rooms in the Foxhall. yay! I need to do some staining today, hopefully i can get a couple of more rooms of trim completed!

After a lot of measuring, checking the measuring, getting mad when I discovered mistakes in measuring, I have come to the conclusion that I should not do any gluing after 9pm. I just wanted to do that 1 more thing :doh: So now I've spent the last hour or so prying my upper stove cabinet off the wall, sanding it, fixing the wall under, and re-gluing it. Straight this time :wub: