So upset . . .

Isn't that like Illegal or something. To change the material that is sent in and then put your name on it. You didn't approve them to add a different dining room. And the person who created the dining room, wouldn't they be able to file some type of thievery on your behalf if your name is on it and they made it? Sorry that would make me mad too! I am tempted to buy the mag just to see and send a letter of disgust.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that like Illegal or something. To change the material that is sent in and then put your name on it. You didn't approve them to add a different dining room. And the person who created the dining room, wouldn't they be able to file some type of thievery on your behalf if your name is on it and they made it? Sorry that would make me mad too! I am tempted to buy the mag just to see and send a letter of disgust.

Well, the dining room that they put in the article WAS one of mine: it just belonged to another house (the College Street house). They have several of my items on file, and apparently some totally careless person put that in the hacienda's file. Now, you would THINK that you could tell that a modern American dining room doesn't match the rest of the Mexican hacienda's decor. I know I WOULD HAVE NOTICED IT. And, about those other items? I have already notified them that I may be pulling those articles from them to send elsewhere. If they can't do the job right, I would rather them not do it at all. I have had my beadwork and custom jewelry published for years, and I have NEVER, EVER had anything like this happen with any of those magazines! Worst of all, they seem pretty lackadaisical about it.

Every article of mine they published had at least one typo. They just didn't seem too concerned about it.

Ditto here . . . not only did they not seem concerned about the typo, they didn't seem too concerned about having a picture from a totally different house stuck into this article. I would NEVER make a mistake like that! And, the reply email I got from them after I was told that it couldn't be fixed sounded so wishy-washy that I didn't even bother to reply to it. Well, if they keep on, it will end up causing them problems. I think the readers notice stuff like that. It also sounds like they don't treat all their contributors the same . . . as I mentioned before, it was news to me that they ever sent a miniature gift to an article contributor - I've not gotten anything from them EVER. I don't think I like being dissed.

OOh i would be ticked, no fuming that so isn't fair. I don't like this mag or am to be honest but geez that's not fair.

Could you ask about the gazette?

My last observation because I do not like to be negative towards those who purport tp support minis. I had very high hopes when they first took over the two American Mags and was so excited that they were saved. I took out subscriptions to them as well as their British version.Not an inconsiderable amount of money! I was really disappointed when the quality was not sustained and duplicate articles started showing up. Their overall reputation is really sad. In several of my groups there have been a number of subscription cancellations noted, well known authors refuse to write any more articles for them and one major show promoter will no longer advertise. They also pursued some other actions against some folks that I considered less than professional. Enough said!!!!!

Having expressed my own experiences with the cavalier attitudes the Ashdown folks have shown me, I won't add to it, except to say that AM has always been an Ashdown publication, and for the first few years had an American staff editing & publishing it. Several Small Stuffers were early contributors of articles, and disenchantment set in with them rather early. Right now I think that Miniature Collector, a Scott publication, is the only US miniature magazine.

Right now I think that Miniature Collector, a Scott publication, is the only US miniature magazine.

Actually, I had already decided that when my next one is ready to submit, I will be sending it to Miniature Collector instead of Ashdown. I had already been displeased with their "we're too busy to work with you one-on-one" attitude, and then when they were so completely nonchalant about the major mess they made of this article, I knew I'd had enough of them. This is one time when those of you who were previous "nay-sayers" get to say "I told you so". Besides, I take Polymer Cafe (another Scott publication) and I have had previous experience with that magazine, and found them agreeable to work with.

Rhonda, I don't think anyone really wants to say "I told you so". I would guess they will commiserate with you and in general mourn the loss of much wanted and longed for resources to the miniature hobby. I really was so excited and happy about the possibility of more access to miniature info. I am so saddened by the results they provided.

I also would never say "I told you so"; each person's experiences are unique and just because one person had an unpleasant experience doesn't mean that would be true for someone else. I'm so sorry that this happened to you, and was a disappointment for your dad. Some companies are so focussed on that bottom line that they don't stop to think what they need to do to keep that bottom line! Madavor had an outstanding editor with Terrence, and I hope when they sold DHM to Ashdown that they promoted him to one of their more successful publications.

Though the article is not all you could have have hoped for, it is still an honor to be published (flaws and all). Most dollhouses, their talented makers and doting owners never are seen and appreciated by the masses. I guess GL has spoiled us all.

As likely as not, readers will think to themselves "a pity there is no picture of the exterior" and similar observations, and share in a small degree the disappointment they would themselves feel for their own beloved house.

Thanks for all your supporting words. By the way, I didn't mean you all were being critical of me when I said you could say "I told you so" . . . I just meant "Wow, you were SO right!" I know that all of you are the best, and this forum is where I come when I want to share my disappointments, as well as my joys and successes. I don't feel as much affinity with any other group of people - this is a wonderful place of sharing and caring.

While I AM glad the hacienda will be published and I know people who aren't on here will also get to see it because of that article, the overwhelming reason this has me so upset is because this is the house my Dad and I did together, and with his serious health condition (I am very afraid for him) - I wanted this to be something special for him. I can't even voice my fears . . . I don't want to put them into acknowledged form, but I could sure use all of your prayers for him. I am very close to my Dad, and I am having a terrible time dealing with the inevitable that I may be facing. I won't go into all the details . . . but he has not one, but three, VERY serious conditions . . . any of which, even alone, could be catastrophic. Plus, I think he has given up and he is balking at necessary crucial medical care and surgery, so I've been very sad about the whole thing. Then, there is also my poor Mom - she has been battling an almost fatal onset of kidney disease, and we have to watch her very carefully as well. With my Dad being so sick and so determined to "let things be", she is also struggling mightily with all of this worry and sadness. I want to help them both, but there isn't really anything I can do. I do, of course, pray but I also know that there are times that we have to accept what is destined to be, and I am just not ready for facing up.

Oops, sorry for the lengthy narrative . . . things have been VERY stressful and frightening in my family for some weeks now. I live just far enough way that I can't be with them as much as I want either. I just knew you all would understand . . . you always do, and I thank you for that.

So sorry to hear of your worries and troubles. Seems like an epidemic around here. It's good we have each other to support and encourage us.

BTW, for the uninformed of your problems, your article is quite interesting and your house is quite inviting. I enjoyed it even though I knew it wasn't all that should have been there.

Wish you all the best for the future.

So sorry to hear of your worries and troubles. Seems like an epidemic around here. It's good we have each other to support and encourage us.

BTW, for the uninformed of your problems, your article is quite interesting and your house is quite inviting. I enjoyed it even though I knew it wasn't all that should have been there.

Wish you all the best for the future.

Thank you so much, both for the words of encouragement and the kind things you said about my hacienda and the article. You actually didn't get to see hardly any of what I considered the "main" pictures. (I am giving serious thought to re-writing this & submitting it to the Scott publication.) Did you notice the non-hacienda dining room stuck in there? That still just kills me - I can't believe any magazine would be that lax in their editing!

Rhonda, saying prayers for your parents and you. I am so sorry this is happening, been there and know what it's like.

As for the house, submit it to another magazine or make a blog. What's done is done and you have more important things to occupy you right now. I know the house is gorgeous from your photos, but we don't get the magazine here. If we did and I could see the article, I'd be writing to them for you! At least now, the talented artists here know not to send any articles to that magazine.

Loving hugs to you, dear!!

Sherry, thank you so much . . . You are always a great friend to me, as well as a wonderful source of inspiration. Your advice (and that of my other forum friends) is excellent, and you are totally right about my having a lot "on my plate" right now. MANY thanks for your prayers - they are greatly appreciated.

{{hugs}} Having said goodby to both my parents, long ago, I feel for what you're going through now. The article is a sweet tribute to your dad, and while it was a disappointment, it still got published. I agree that offering it to MC (with a letter, perhaps, or a call to explain the problem with a prior publication, in case they say anything) stands a better chance of having the Casa given the respectful treatment it most certainly deserves.

Thank you, Holly! If it weren't for the forum members here and a healthy dose of anti-depressants, I don't know that I could hold up at all. I think it is probably the hardest on me, as far as myself and my siblings are concerned because I am the most like my Dad, and we have always been extremely close. While my Mom and sisters think my Dad can be "cantankerous", I always know exactly where he coming from, why he feels the way he does, and usually (not in the case of him balking at his medical care, though) agree with him. My Mom and sisters are all "people persons" and I tend to be more into my own private space and endeavors . . . my Dad is that way, and when my Mom gets aggravated at him for going out in public in paint-stained pants or with sawdust on his shirt, I always think "Well, so? what's the big deal?" Of course, that is probably because I go around looking like that a lot myself. My Dad and I just don't put a lot of importance on how we look or "keeping up with the Jones". We both care more about what we DO than how we LOOK.

I'm very sorry to hear of your worries, Rhonda. I am sending out positive vibes to you and your family. I hope you have both of your parents with you for a long, long time to come. {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

I got my copy a couple days ago...not sure if it's a comfort to know that to someone who hadn't read you original article, I think it still turned out pretty lovely--you did fantastic work--what a great tribute! I know it's a disappointment because it's not how you envisioned...but had you not said anything, I would have never known it wasn't perfect. Like I said, not sure if that helps or not, but I enjoyed reading the article, the pictures, and checking out your gallery :lol:

My copy of the magazine came today. The article is well presented and the article well written. I have to agree with Cathy that someone who doesn't know your concerns would not realize the photo error. To tell the truth, the photo of the overall interior doesn't really show the dining room all that well. Without a heads up, I doubt that many readers will realize the dining room photo is not the Casa Maria dining room.

All in all, I think it is a fine tribute to both you and your dad. I would like to have seen a photo of the interior of the Cantina El Toro, but gosh, Rhonda, you got a four-page layout and two of your projects featured with some amazingly large photos. The full page kitchen photo jumped out and grabbed me! And I was pleased to see they included a photo of your dad. Pat yourself on the back, dear heart. And don't send them anything else. :lol: