So upset . . .

I am so upset at the Dollhouse Miniatures publishing company (Ashdown). . . after I finished my hacienda "Casa Maria" (which I withheld the finished pictures of on this forum, to surprise all of you), I submitted an article to the aforementioned magazine. They did such a good job on the Coppertop Cabin article that I was excited about this one. Well, just to warn all of you: I FINALLY got a mock-up and not only did they NOT include some of the most integral pictures, and made one typo, they put . . . brace yourself . . . the WRONG DINING ROOM FROM A TOTALLY DIFFERENT HOUSE IN THE ARTICLE!!!! This bum article will be in the May-June issue, and I could just cry (and I did). I worked for 2 solid years on this house, and they treated it so dismissively that I don't think I will ever send anything to them ever again. I tried to tell them about the errors in time to change them, but the editor can never be bothered coming to the phone (she's dreadfully important, you know . . .), and she apparently ignored my emails (which were sent the EXACT day I received the mock-up in the mail) until the printers had the actual magazines already printed. I am just SO mad! I hope that when it does come out, some of you will write a letter to the editor saying you wish they had shown more of it. This one meant the world to me, too, because this is the one my Dad built me and he is in seriously bad health, and I WANTED him to be proud of the article. When I showed him the mock-up, he tightened his lips (a VERY bad sign) and said only ONE thing: "they didn't even show the front of the house!". I could tell he was very disappointed and I was just devastated. After e-mailing the TOP editor, I got the usual wishy-washy "sorry about that" email back. Hmmm . . . I guess the next time I write an article, I'll send it to some other miniature magazine! What really burns me is that I had ASKED them to send me a PDF file so that I could review it prior to going to the printers' (something they agreed to on the Coppertop article), but they refused. I could have done the article 1000% better myself!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, Rhonda, what a disappointment! I'm so sorry to hear about the sloppy editing.

Please, please PLEASE post more photos in your gallery. I've been [im]patiently waiting to see them since you posted the teasers last July!

Thanks, Kathie . . . the worst part was disappointing my Dad. He really wasn't even healthy enough to build it for me when he did, so it is my most beloved treasure. When I lost the first house he built me (for my 9th Christmas) in a house fire, I was broken-hearted. This one means every bit as much to me as that one did . . . maybe even more, as we sat down at his drafting table together and drew up the plans. Anyway, I wanted to showcase this beautiful house in a way that would honor him, and I have been desperately let down. I just hope he knows how much it means to me.

Well load up your album here, we want to see every angle. Shame on them for mishandling the whole article thing.....it is truly discouraging for their readers to be misinformed about your wonderful tribute and work. I hope they do print a correction in the next magazine....I look forward to reading it anyhow....just because you are part of our greenleaf family. Hugs Dawn

Thanks so much, Dawn! Oh well, at least the written part is correct (I wrote it myself, so I know IT is right)! They told me that they would put a by-line in the next issue that the dining room is not the correct one, but since I can't afford to buy issues that state the correction, the copies of the original issue I am buying will still be wrong. Anyway, I am trying to see if I have any other avenues (NOT Ashdown!!!) that could still make my Dad proud. I am doubly upset because I told this company, from square one, that THIS article was of special importance to me. Also, they failed to include the credit line for my brother's photography, and since he has to drive an approximate 7 1/2- 8 hour round trip to come do the pictures, I think HE is also going to be extremely agitated about this. The worst thing? Several forum members on here told me that they have very negative feelings about Ashdown . . . how I wish I had listened! Our forum members always know!!!

Thanks, CorryAnn . . . I work nights, and I was so upset yesterday that I didn't even get (literally) 2 hours of sleep before I had to work all night. I am sure I will be posting pictures on here, but I do want to see if any other avenues of correction are available to me first. I'll never forget that look of dejection on my Dad's face . . . it just about did me in. I just wanted to share these pictures with other miniature-lovers. This is the 2nd article I've had with DH Miniatures, and I've never received one red cent from Ashdown . . . it was never about that . . . just about sharing something I was excited about with others that might enjoy seeing it. It's pretty sad that even when you donate something to a magazine (THEY certainly received monetary compensation), they don't see to it your work is showcased properly.

I'm so sorry to hear that they made a mess of the article about your dollhouse. I really don't know what I should do, when it was happing to me, but I think that mad sounds to nice.

But why don't you make a public blog about this special dollhouse which means so much to you? And, but that's me, before they published the issue. When they don't want to listening to you, and it sounds to me, they wouldn't, it's your turn now girl, go for it.

There be so much dollhouse builders and miniaturist at blogger, you should be amazed how many visitors you will have, show it the whole world. In your own way, such a special hosue deserve it to be honored.

The only thing Ashdown pays for are how-tos. They usually just send a miniature something for an article. The last one I did about my mom, I requested copies of the magazine instead of miniatures and they did that for me. You sure can't make a leaving writing for them though! Not sure how other miniature magazines do things.

I agree with Mar.

The only thing Ashdown pays for are how-tos. They usually just send a miniature something for an article. The last one I did about my mom, I requested copies of the magazine instead of miniatures and they did that for me. You sure can't make a leaving writing for them though! Not sure how other miniature magazines do things.

I agree with Mar.

Really? I didn't get ANYTHING for my Coppertop article (and as far as I know, I won't for this one either). . . I would have loved a miniature item OR magazines. I had to buy every single copy of the magazine I got. As I said, though . . . it was never about compensation anyway - I just wanted to showcase my special treasure, and honor my Dad. At any rate, I thank you all for your comforting comments . . . I knew all of you would understand how let down I felt.

how disappointing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :o :):(:eatyum: The magazine sure has gone down hill the last couple of years!!! Remember when the former owners had it, they would publish letters from readers that werent complimentary to themselves which meant they were unbiased when it came time to let the readers voice their opinions about the magazine. Now i have noticed they have become self serving in that department..

Please take my prayers and well wishes for your dad.

Anyway, I wanted to showcase this beautiful house in a way that would honor him, and I have been desperately let down. I just hope he knows how much it means to me.

Rhonda -- showcase your treasure here in the Forum, someplace where we can all add our comments, and let your dad, and brother, see the response. That actually should mean more than a magazine article, because the article is "flat" -- no reader response to it. But the forum is "alive" -- real miniaturists making real comments. If you do an album, showing all the glorious detail, credit your brother with the photography, then we can all comment on the pix. (Can people comment on a blog? Not sure.) You'll have to let us all know when it's ready so we go look at it and comment.

Anyway, showcase it here and let him see the response :o

As to the Ashdown publication, I cancelled my subscription about 2 years ago. I find this forum MUCH more rewarding and informative.

Rhonda -- showcase your treasure here in the Forum, someplace where we can all add our comments, and let your dad, and brother, see the response. That actually should mean more than a magazine article, because the article is "flat" -- no reader response to it. But the forum is "alive" -- real miniaturists making real comments. If you do an album, showing all the glorious detail, credit your brother with the photography, then we can all comment on the pix. (Can people comment on a blog? Not sure.) You'll have to let us all know when it's ready so we go look at it and comment.

i agree!

Yes it's possible for visitors to leave a comment on a blog for every post unless you don't want to, it's also possible that vistors became a follower of your blog.

And, you reach many many dollhouse builders worldwide.

I really appreciate all of your kind comments and your suggestions (all VERY good ones!). I know I will be putting a comprehensive album on here - I always love sharing with my good friends on Greenleaf . . . I do love it here, and the people HERE would do anything to help out - an idea that each and every magazine out there (not just the one I am disappointed in) could greatly benefit from adhering to. I think the reason that I was hit so hard by this was mainly because this was THE most important one to me and I even made that clear when I submitted it. Plus, I was totally blindsided because it was so unexpected. As I mentioned previously, the first article (the Coppertop Cabin) was beautifully done and went smoothly. Although, having said that . . . I have to admit, after trying to deal with the particular person that was integral in this . . . I feared there could be a problem. It was like pulling teeth to get any information from her. I was, of course, hoping I was wrong. Sadly, I was 100% correct. Anyway (sigh) it is done so I guess I am just going to have to deal with it. Thanks to all of you again for making me feel better. I can always count on you!

Oh I am sorry! I would be mad too!! I actually let my subscription end. It was an expense that I couldn't really justify anymore. I learn so much more on here and get far more eye candy for free!. I do hope you will show it off for all of us and highlight the parts you want. You know here it will be appreciated!!

Rhonda, that is just terrible, and I am truly sorry.

To echo other comments, I would LOVE to see a full tribute album, blog, or webpage for the house, where we may post comments and make our admiration public! I'm very excited to see the (proper) photos as soon as you are able and willing to post them!

I'm so sorry that you and your dad have had this disappointment. :(

I didn't renew my sub to DHM, because it just isn't the same since Ashdown bought it.

The blog suggestion would put a sparkle in your dad's eye, wouldn't it? (Not that I have the first idea how to do one.)

How about a scrapbook for him, using all the pics that DHM should have included? Do you have pics of the two of you working on it? It could become a family heirloom, to be passed down to each generation, along with the dollhouse.

And yes, please share it all with us - your other family. :o

I totally agree!

I am so sorry this happened, I know how excited you have been about it, and that is just sickening. It's such a beautiful house I can't believe they didn't show the exterior! Do start a blog about it, we can all pass it on and probably more people will see it than would buy the magazine. My best to your dad, and big hugs to you!

Something I learned just recently -- you can make a printed book from your blog if your blog is on Blogger, TypePad, or WordPress. The website is Blog2Print.com You can edit (leave out some entries if you like, choose a special cover, add or remove photos, etc.).

I use Blogger (free) and experimented a bit with my Czech trip blog. A 20-page soft cover book is $14.95, extra pages @ $.35 each. You can also get a PDF file for $7.95 and print copies on your own computer or share the pdf file with friends. Or get a hardcover copy for $24.95. I like what I see on line and will probably have some copies made for a few family members.

I have no commercial interest in this site ... just thought others with blogs might like to know about this.

Something I learned just recently -- you can make a printed book from your blog if your blog is on Blogger, TypePad, or WordPress. The website is Blog2Print.com You can edit (leave out some entries if you like, choose a special cover, add or remove photos, etc.).

I use Blogger (free) and experimented a bit with my Czech trip blog. A 20-page soft cover book is $14.95, extra pages @ $.35 each. You can also get a PDF file for $7.95 and print copies on your own computer or share the pdf file with friends. Or get a hardcover copy for $24.95. I like what I see on line and will probably have some copies made for a few family members.

I have no commercial interest in this site ... just thought others with blogs might like to know about this.

Wow, Kathie! This is certainly information I didn't know about, and I am VERY intrigued! I don't have time right now (on my way to work), but I am really going to give this blog idea some thought & I thank all of you who have suggested it. Have a super evening!