Wedding preparations

Muriel

Oh my ~ Muriel, those shoes are just beautiful!! Your wedding plans sound like so much fun and you seem to be gliding through it with the best of attitudes.

I have to tell you...I LOVE that fabric you found...very rich looking, and I think it would look spectacular either way and in any set up.

Sounds like it is all coming together perfectly...your honeymoon plans sound warm and wonderful and Florida is such a great place to take a holiday...and a little mini shopping at Ron's is just icing on the cake, right? :lol:

Wishing you both the very best!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your shoes are absolutely perfect....love the small heel and the bow.....yep, I agree....when we get rich we can call and order shoes over the phone....just tell them what they should look like....wouldn't that be lovely to be able to do that....

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm, this wedding thing is expensive! We're not going mad or anything, but the little things soon add up :D

We still have a lot of ideas, but not really got anything set yet. Think venue and shoes are the only confirmed things so far! I've sent an email to chase the prospective caterers, so hopefully they'll get back to us in the next day or two.

Looking into photographers at the moment. Am kinda in two minds about this. Yes, it'd be nice to have professionally done photos, but they are massively expensive! My parents didn't have a professional photographer and I still enjoy looking at their photos. Was thinking of maybe just hiring one of the students from the school that is doing a photography course (ie asking the teacher who they thought might be good to do it and looking at some of their pics before deciding definitely). Could do this much cheaper than hiring a professional person... But then again, they'll be the only things really to remind us of the day in years to come, so want them to be good. Even more importantly it will be the last time probably that we'll get our extended families together. Both my mummy's family and my daddy's family together, his mum's family and his dad's family together, but also probably the only time his extended family and my extended family will be in the same place. So will also want great photos to remember that occasion and have all the older relatives there too. And suspect that other relatives will want good photos to remember that too. So from that point of view do want a professional to oversea it all... Think we've come to the solution of hiring both :p Hiring a professional just for a couple hours to take the official group pictures and the student to take pictures the rest of the time. So I've been researching and emailing photographers in the regions for some quotes.

Also looking at rings. I wear my engagement ring all the time and intend to wear my wedding ring all the time too, but Chris doesn't like wearing any sort of jewellery at all. He just about manages to wear a watch to keep an eye on the time while he's teaching, but is really uncomfortable with the thought of wearing a ring. I did suggest he could wear it on a chain, but he liked that idea less. So for me, we want a hardwearing ring that will last a lifetime, but for him, probably don't want to spend so much on something he's not likely to wear much at all! One of my friends here suggested getting him a special watch instead and engraving the wedding details on the back and I quite like that idea really!

Anyway, looking at rings, and I've found one I really like. I haven't tried anything like it on, so don't know that it'd look good, but imagine it looking good! :p

gallery_2387_3440_2070.jpg

Palladium seems to be the metal to go for - hardwearing but cheaper than platinum and more maleable than titanium - ie can resize it if needed.

I've more or less decided to have a different bridesmaid dress. I do like the dress we got originally, but it isn't quite the same on the person as it is on the hanger/on the internet picture. Chris has also now expressed an interest in one of the colours being dark blue, so think we'll be changing colours to ivory, dark blue and then either pink or orange (or both) highlights. Such difficult dicisions! :p Did find a gorgeous pewter dress, but they couldn't make it in the size we needed :( Sent my sister away from her weekend visit with the task to find a nice dress for herself in dark blue :flowers:

What else... Flowers. Halfway sorted. Orchids for centre pieces, and then a few bunches around to decorate a bit, but not much and nothing expensive and hugely coordinated.

Cake is sorted I think. Friend will make the cutting cake and we'll get the cupcakes done at a bakery nearby.

Another thing we are debating and would love your input. Our best man is Chris' best friend, but she's a girl. She is happy to wear a suit rather than a dress - gave her the choice and she expressed prefering a suit, which I think would look great too. But the next question is then, do we get Chris' brother - usher/master of ceremonies - to coordinate and hire his suit... and then do we hire one for his dad too.. and one for my dad?? Think my dad probably doesn't have a proper morning suit to wear to a wedding, so hiring one would ensure he has one. Hmmmm

Well think that is enough for this update!

Well they sent the new shoes, but they're exactly as wide as the previous ones, and I'd say about 1cm shorter :thumb: Sigh. I know many have had a lot of success with the company that I ordered from, and the lady is really nice, the makers just aren't doing what she asks them too! sigh. Think I'll give her another chance though, it is not as if I need the shoes any time soon :p And haven't found anywhere else that makes them to measure yet

Bets of luck finallising your plans. Sounds like it will be a Grand affaird, once you get it all worked out.

My DH does not wear jewellery either, (lumpy knuckles, and they hurt him going on, then they are loose) we omitted the 2nd ring from the ceremony altogether, and saved the money, so don't feel bad if Chris resists the ring. It's not uncommon.

• 1 month later...

lol, wedding planning sure is a fluid thing with us!

Last year after Chris proposed I was looking at dresses to get ideas of what I might like. Found one I really liked, but it was £1000, way out of my budget! During the year I found a basic dress to change and do up, and found a lace jacket to go with it to make it similar to the one I'd originally seen. Last week I got a message from ebay saying there was one for auction in my size (Lady closing down her bridal shop)! I had a look and figured what price I would be paying to import the lace jacket from the USA, set my maximum and kept fingers crossed! I won it and the lady sent it to me. It is gorgeous, needs some work to fit me though - my boobs just aren't big enough to fill the front of the dress, it is at least 5 inches too long, and we've gotta change it to lace up still. One thing I didn't see in the picture is how long the train is! Yards long! (Saw the darker picture first, have since found the other pictures) So we will have to figure out what to do with the long train, either chop lots off or bustle it up - but that might be quite a heavy dress then. Anyway, plenty to do with it still, but I do really like it.

gallery_2387_3440_6104.jpg

Lady refunded my shoes because she didn't think her workshop would get them right the third time either. So still on the lookout for some other shoes, and in the meantime am slowly stretching a pair she let me keep.

Photographer is booked. We asked at the school about hiring one of the students and found out the head of department is actually a professional photographer herself. We went and visited her and had a chat and got on very well. We got a superb deal and this was the first time I was properly excited about the wedding coming up (The dress gave me another exciting day!)

If you can trim off some of the excess lace, what about having a shoe shop apply it to a pair of well-fitting plain white shoes? The lace jacket really dresses up that dress & makes it gorgeous.

Neither DH nor I have worn our wedding rings for nearly 10 years now, from time to time our fingers puff up and the bands became quite tight, and a jeweler friend of ours told us to take them off, not to risk developiing a clot that could break loose later and cause an embolism in a cardiac or cerebral or pulmonary blood vessel. After 46+ years we both know we're married to each other (haven't killed each other, yet!lol). The rings are a nice part of the service, but not the important part, IMO.

The dress is beautiful and so fluid in its lines. Do you really want to change the back to lace up?

Yeah I do. I definitely see why not to, but I really like the lace up backs, and the dress doesn't fit me properly without having the lace up flexibility.

I have thought about just covering some shoes myself, but at the moment don't even have any white/light fitting shoes at all! I will look out for them and have 5 more months to find something. There's a shop here that does wider fitting shoes, so will keep my eye out for something appropriate there too.

• 1 month later...

It is only 112 days until our wedding!! That is like 4 times 28 days, less than 4 months! (We dispense most medication in multiples of 28, so 112 seems a very round and good number :thumb: )

Caterer is booked so long as the facilities are acceptable to the caterer (which I'm sure they will be!), including tablecloths, napkins and crockery

Dress is currently being altered

Invitations are printed (and if I wasn't ill we'd be picking them up today!)

Envelopes have arrived

Guest book components have arrived, just gotta put them together prettily

Sample rings have arrived to try them on for size and shape, then we order them within a couple weeks

Cake baker is booked and cupcake cases have arrived for her to use, and cupcake stand has been hired

Honeymoon giftlist is finalised and little cards with the online address printed

Music decided upon and is now in order too

To do: Order shoes

Figure out favours - know which ones I want, but they're in america and cost a lot to send as they are heavy :unsure: so looking at other ideas too

Find Chris' outfit (He and Best Man (a girl) are going shopping in a couple weeks hopefully to find something)

Figure out hair and makeup and do some trials

Sort out flowers and hall decoration - this will require some work still I feel. Will have to get some cheap fabric from somewhere and look at the hall properly to decide what needs to go where and what needs covering up.

Finish centre pieces, table name cards, and place cards. (Sister is making centre pieces, Chris is working on table name cards, and just need to print the place cards)

• 1 month later...

9 weeks to go yesterday! Oooh it is getting close! RSVP date was yesterday too, and heard from most people, but one family arm hasn't yet said anything, so now trying to find out if they got the invites. A few people not coming, some that I think should maybe have put a little bit more effort in to make it, but never mind, those that are coming will be a joy to see!

Shoes were ordered about 5 weeks ago, due to arrive by yesterday. Emailed her beginning of the week for an update and she said she'd just been told they'd been delayed and would be anther 4-5 weeks! Then emailed a couple days later saying sorry again, they were actually with her and she'd send them friday. Was really hoping they would arrive yesterday, as I had a second dress fitting today. But they didn't arrive. Never mind, had some brown ones the right height to wear to the fitting. Hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow and really hopefully they'll actually fit!

Chris tried on his outfit at the local shop yesterday and has ordered what he needs, so we're good to go there too

Rings have arrived. Diamonds slighty smaller than they look like in the picture, but still looks very pretty.

Should be getting a few quotes for flowers over the next week, probably on tuesday.

Sister has made a few more centre pieces, so looking good there too.

Will have to try out hairstyles this week too I think. Try out a few on myself and then when I've got one I like the look of take it to the hairdressers and have them do a trial run.

Now the dress fitting. It is lovely!!! She's done a great job so far I think. She had to take in the chest area quite a bit, which was difficult as it has beaded lace on it; take out the zipper and put in loops for lacing up; remove the long train on the dress and shorten the dress; and bustle up the lace jacket. She's just gotta sew in the modesty panel and do the hem properly (had just tacked it up to check length) so I'll go and pick it up in two weeks. Exciting!!

A few more pics in the wedding gallery, but here's a pic of the back :rofl: (the pics were taken in quite a squashed area, so not great, but you get the idea!)

gallery_2387_3440_86234.jpg

9 weeks to go yesterday! Oooh it is getting close! RSVP date was yesterday too, and heard from most people, but one family arm hasn't yet said anything, so now trying to find out if they got the invites. A few people not coming, some that I think should maybe have put a little bit more effort in to make it, but never mind, those that are coming will be a joy to see!

Glad to hear things are generally going really well. If it makes you feel any better, we had people who should've made more of an effort to go to our wedding, but wouldn't. In fact, even my husband's brother and grandmother didn't come. And no, no legitimate excuse for either. We also had some long-time family friends that had an extremely important camping trip on that weekend.... It is disappointing, but at the end of the day, there isn't much you can do. You will still have a fantastic day.

Well I've decided my feet must be different widths :lol: Shoes are here! They're pretty and just about fit. One fits ok, just needs wearing in, the other is a bit tight, so will need a bit more work on it to be able to wear it for a few hours! Pictures will follow.

Thanks for all the nice comments, it is nice to share the preparations and glad you like the dress too!

Congratulations! You must be so incredibly excited :lol: Your dress is lovely, I love the choice of lace, and the lace jacket with the train is rather unique! I wish you the best of luck, both for your wedding day for a long and happy marriage.

Not as pretty as the first pair, but my feet do fit in them better. They're still a bit tight, but with walking around the flat hopefully they'll get worn in and be fine for the big day.

gallery_2387_3440_5072.jpg