Wedding preparations

Muriel

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muriel, aren't you the one who made the Pub roombox?? I bet you make a Chapel type

one for your own wedding.Nice rememberence,huh?? Well, just a thought...I like the

sound of your new dress.You will have to ply us all with pictures ALL THE NEXT YEAR!

Good luck in all your plans.How exciting!!!! :hug:

Loved the dress...what a lucky find. Oh, and if I had one place to pick for vaca/honeymoon...I would choose Wales.Have been there only once for a couple of weeks but I loved it...cried when I came home.But it was in the Fall not too warm-but nice anyway. Don't know hot August is. Just a thought............... :hug:

yummmmmmm...love the reception foods.....surprised that there is that much of a difference between two caterers.....makes you wonder why....it's the same ingredients and quantities.....hopefully someone will come in with a price closer to the low end so you have a choice to look at.....are you going to go to them prior to hiring and do a taste test......Oh, my daughter and I had such fun going to the cake caterers.....a fun time was had by all and I gained 5 pounds....good luck tomorrow and Friday....

Oh, and if I had one place to pick for vaca/honeymoon...I would choose Wales.Have been there only once for a couple of weeks but I loved it...cried when I came home.But it was in the Fall not too warm-but nice anyway. Don't know hot August is. Just a thought............... :)

Well I'm going to Wales tomorrow for my exams, so we'll see if it grabs my attention enough to be a honeymoon spot :hug: I've been to wales before (incl countryside) and must say it hasn't held the same attraction as Florida does! As for warmth, na, not what you could call warm! If you have a lucky visit and the sun shines all the time, it is very pleasant, but chances are greater that it won't be sunny all the time, it'll probably rain quite a bit :) Plus, no theme parks to visit! I'm looking forward to warm water to swim in, rather than the freezing stuff we have here (and in Wales, we're just across the Severn estuary from Wales).

We've got a friend who does lots of crafty things. Lucy knits lots, makes cards, and makes cakes, so she has offered to do a cake for us as a wedding present :hug: I'm thinking go with cupcakes plus a cake to cut, Chris doens't quite agree, so we'll see a little bit nearer the time. One thing though, he doesn't like traditional fruit cake at all, so we won't be having that. We're visiting Lucy in August, and she's already said she'll have a batch or two of cupcakes ready for us :)

• 2 months later...

You know what? time is supposed to whizz by once you've decided on a date. The last 6 months have gone by incredibly slow :p I've done tonnes in that time, but for some reason it is going by very slowly. I'm sure it'll pick up soon enough :p

We've lived together in unfurnished flats for the last two years and so really have all the stuff we need (well way more than we probably need). So rather than putting more stuff on our gift list we thought we would put our honeymoon as our giftlist. We've made a plan of what we'd like to do and putting the items on a website. People can then reserve items. Things like hotel/flight/car upgrades, meals out, tickets to shows, DQ dipped cones, etc. For some we put a specific price that they cost, for others you can just contribute towards something. One of our things is dinner out. You can set the budget and suggest somewhere for us to eat, or we'll go out and explore and find somewhere for that budget. It is fun thinking about what we would like to do, and will hopefully be so much better than we could ever save for. Plus, we don't get more clutter :( We will put a couple things on the list that aren't the honeymoon (I know at least one relative that doesn't approve of honeymoon instead of gift list, but it is our wedding) They're again things that we don't really have to have, but would love, like huge bath towels, or a good quality frying pan, or nice baking trays.

So our honeymoon: We'll fly to Key West, where we'll spend 5 nights before hiring a car and driving up to Miami for a couple nights. Then on to Clearwater for 3 nights before Orlando for 10 nights. Plenty of relaxing in Key west, some shopping in Miami, Busch Gardens in Clearwater and then Theme Parks and relaxing days in Orlando (though there are more theme days than relaxing!). I was looking up Ron's in Orlando and was looking for a website. Couldn't find one readily so thought I'd search here. Someone mentioned that they wanted to visit Ron's and the miniature exhibition in Naples. Ooh, we need to stop along the way from Miami to Clearwater and Naples would be an appropriate place, especially with a mini museum! But looked it up and turns out the mini exhibition finishes on June 30th next year :( . Our honeymoon is August :(

I've booked a day for Ron's in Orlando, but any other mini places/exhibits I should visit along the way?

Lol, I know that honeymoon isn't to everyones taste, clearly demonstrated by the question from a friend "Do you have to go to so many theme parks or can you do that another holiday?". But I think it is good. Chris' favourite holidays are theme park ones, and once we'd decided on florida we couldn't not go to them! Also we can't afford another holiday to florida any time in the next few years, and by then we're hoping to have started a family. Difficult, I think, to theme park holiday with babies/todlers, so this is the ideal time to do it. I'm not the biggest rollercoaster fan. I like the little ones, the big ones are a bit too scary, but Chris loves them. So I have my relaxing days (Chris isn't such a fan of sitting still, he gets bored very quickly) and Chris has his rollercoasters. I like the water parks though!

Lucy didn't manage to have any cupcakes baked when we visited, but I have managed to convince Chris that it would be good to have cupcakes. They're nicer than a sliver of a big cake I think, and much sturdier to take away for those that don't want to eat it on the night. We'll have a surprise cutting cake on the top. The inside is suprising, the outside will be traditional white icing. Can't tell you what it is though as others I know read this forum too and it's gotta stay a surprise!

If I repeat myself on here I apologise. It is quite a lot to go back and read to check if I already said something :p

We got the material for the dress lace up. I don't think they (mummy and sister) have done anything with it yet, but they have practiced making loops. And I ordered the shoes!! I have impossible feet to fit. In UK sizes I'm about a 3.5 long, but 5.5 wide, so shoes are either the correct length but so tight that my feet don't fit in, let alone fit tightly, or they fit width wise and are a good inch or more too long. However, I found a lady that can make shoes to measure! So I emailed her my measurements and hopefully she's making them as we type. Cute Huh?

What else has happened? Well not so much I think. Have done hardly anything honeymoon related or even mini related since May. First exams, then busy July when I was here there and everywhere at meetings and conferences. Then August which was an alltogether crazy month working as a pharmacist, and now I'm trying to get back into things. We've been doing they honeymoon website for the last week or so, so that's been exciting (and a bit scary how much we have to save still!)

We went to a car boot sale and found some white/ivory/cream material with elephants woven into it. We estimated that there was about 20 meters of material and got it for £20. We're hoping to use it for some of the tables - don't think there's enough for all the tables (9), and also would like to cut it in lengths that can then be used for other things like curtains. They hold a christmas prom in the hall, so we're hoping to go along and see how they decorate it to get some ideas for the wedding decorations. We've gotta include elephants, whatever else we do :p

Right, think that's about it for now. Any suggestions of places to visit along our honeymoon journey? Any other questions or suggestions? Like the shoes? :D

Love the shoes...what a luxury...having shoes made personally for you....I'm impressed....fabric sounds cute....would like to see it....you could use it on the table with the cake.....realize that would be a lot of fabric but you could bunch it up and make it look billowly like....then take it home to make curtains and pillows for your bed with lace and fringe or what have you so it would be a wonderful memory of your wedding....

e.

Muriel, I was just thinking about you the other day..thinking about your Wedding!

Such cool plans.Yes when we were in Wales the weather was great with only a few brief showers..we saw three beautiful rainbows while there and in Sept/Oct !!But Florida

sounds great -and warm!You'll have a great time.And don't forget pictures!!We'll all

be there in spirit! Hugs, LLyn

I'll see if I can take a pic of the fabric. It is thicker woven stuff and the more I think about it, the less I want to use it on tables! :p I do like the idea of using it on the cake table though. Might just have to do that instead! It was a bargain, but i do really like it and might just have to go to the car boot sale and find another bargain fabric for the tables :p There's a family there that bring a van load of fabric rolls and sell them £1/meter or so normally. As you say Elicia, making something with it would be a lovely reminder of the wedding day.

Ok, here's the material. It is really difficult to tell which is supposed to be the right side and which the wrong side :p At the moment I'm leaning towards the lighter elephant on darker background, but don't know.

gallery_2387_3440_1111897.jpggallery_2387_3440_1087295.jpg

The material is about 4 foot 5 inches wide, with the elephant about 6 inches wide.

Oh, I'm so very excited!!! My shoes are on the way!!! :) In fact they're just across the road at the post office, but the pacel pickup shuts at 12 noon. So I'll go pick them up tomorrow! :yay:

I'm being a bit reserved though, the lady said they didn't look like they were wide enough, but that I should try and maybe she's worrying about nothing. If they don't fit, then she said she'd get right on to having them remade. Please fit!!

Very very excited!

Muriel, I just saw that y'all plan to honeymoon in FL. Ron doesn't have a website. If y'all take I-4 from wherever you're staying and get off at the Colonial Drive/ SR50 interchange Westbound, his shop is on the right a few blocks West and there's parking in back. The sign is out front. When we went to Key West we stayed at a B&B for a week and never did find anywhere that served REAL key lime pie! If you find any & decide you like it I'll PM you the recipe.

Well I started out a little earlier to work so that I could go to the parcel pickup place on the way. Handed him my pickup ticket and waited. He searched and searched and couldn't find them! :) After going through things twice he asked if I was in all day and I said I was off to work until 1 and then home. He said he'd wait until the guy who was usually there was back and hopefully he knows exactly where they are and he'll drop them down to me at work. And he did! They came wrapped in lovely bright pink plastic. The shoe box is pink shades with some big flower design on the top. I opened it and there wrapped in some protective wrapper were my shoes!! :yay: They did look a bit small when I took them out and true enough they're too tight. :giggle: My foot fits in, but can't stand on it :yay: So I've let the lady know and just waiting to hear back (which might not be until Monday as it is a business). But took some pictures anyway hehe, they're in the wedding folder.

gallery_2387_3440_17402.jpg

If the shoes fit but are just a little tight, is it possible to take them in to a local shoe shop and have them size your feet, and gently stretch the shoes to fit? My stepfather was an orthopedic technician who made Rx shoes for people and he always made plaster cts of their feet to make shoes that fit exactly. Those are totally adorable shoes!

Well I paid $170 to have them especially made for my feet, so feel they should do the work to get them to fit :lol: I measured them and they are definitely smaller than the measurements I sent, so feel they need to correct that. Also here they don't have nice shoe shops anymore really. Found one that seemed like a family run nice personal shoe shop, but they wouldn't even measure my feet!

They fit as in I can put them on, but couldn't actually put any weight on them without it hurting a lot. Think they'd need stretching too much :(

When I'm rich (gotta remember to actually play the lottery I guess!) I'll have shoes made for me regularly! They can make a copy of my feet and make them to fit. But thats like $500 minimum for halfway nice looking ones :thumb:

She did say if they weren't wide enough she'd get them remade, so not too worried.