Inside my rehab Willow

Muriel

Hey all. Thought I'd update some pics of the inside of my willow, and also ask you all a question or two!

So this is the progres sof the inside of the Willows I picked up already built.

First of all I worked on the Misstress Bedroom (Follow the links to the relevant section in the gallery). I found a lovely white wire bed for a decent price, and then designed the bedroom around it. I managed to pick up the other wire furniture a bit later, also for a good price. I wanted to do wainscotting, and had originally planned to paint it white, and have a white carpet, but with the white furniture I thought it might be too much white. I was trying to find a delicate wallpaper design to do the rest of the wall, but didn't have any luck really. I eventually found a picture of some light blue roses, which I then duplicated and shrank.

gallery_2387_2312_504981.jpg

I decided to just whitewash the wainscotting and stained the floor dark to match the already stained windows.

gallery_2387_2312_509253.jpg

I still have to put in the carpet, dark stained skirting board, and a chair rail, probably also dark stained. (And cornice will come towards the end of renovating)

Inspired by Deb's white wire bed (I think it belongs to Anna now!) I've bought some material to do some blue bedding for the bed too.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next to be worked on is the Sitting Room. I liked the feature wall with the shelves and fireplace. First I decided to make the floor parquet style. This took a while to do - lots of cutting popsicle sticks to size before sticking them down. I had found some red material with gold stripes on, which I really liked, but was too much to do the whole room in it. So decided just to do that feature wall in the stripes... Then of course I couldn't find the material anywhere!! (I've decided I never did actually buy it, just debated buying it :D) So instead I made some wallpaper similar to the material. I wanted the nice gold colour stripes, which the printer couldn't do of course, so I had to hand paint them all on. Again took a good while, but I love the result. I decided to do the room red and black, so painted the shelves and window black, and got a black fireplace. Did the rest of the room with plain red wallpaper. The stairs were built, but a bit boxy, so, inspired by another forum member I decided to take out the risers to give me see through stairs... But when I'd done that I couldn't decide what colour to paint them. Ideally I wanted to keep them wood to match the floor, but they were in a pretty bad state and needed lots of filler. Then I decided I could really make some stairs myself, so that's what I did, out of basswood.

gallery_2387_2312_551383.jpg

It will still get more furniture and black skirting boards, but I like how it is looking at the moment! (There will probably be a little office area under the stairs.)

I'm trying to work on the kitchen, but I am stuck!!! I haven't a clue what colours to use!

I decided to build the kitchen cabinets from scratch. I designed them and then built them from basswood. This was great fun! I am proud of what I've done. Next decision though, before I put the doors and drawer fronts on, is what colours to use!

gallery_2387_2312_110730.jpg

This is the arrangement, though they're in the wrong place.

gallery_2387_2312_481569.jpg

This is the kitchen with the cabinets in the right place. I'd like to put a small table and chairs in the far left corner.

You can see the lovely floor, now what colour shall I do the walls, ceiling, windows, counters, counter doors, and counter tops to go with the floor? The counter tops can be varnished, painted or stained at the moment, as can the cabinet doors (ie they haven't got glue on them). I have also got little shiny pewter coloured beads I'd love to use for door/drawer handles, but this isn't essential. Originally thought of the counter units one colour and the doors another (they're just flat doors), but couldn't decide on colours again.

Opinions needed please!

There will be a silver sink in the double unit bit, and an oven/hob in the middle of the short arm of the L shape.

Wow Muriel, love your progress and yep, that icey blue princess bed is living here :) and it is telling me tales of how it wants its house decorated... We'll see what comes out of that though, I have been gawking over the bedroom you have in your Willow love those wire pieces you have choosen.

Your work both on the stairs and guilding the wallpaper is impressive and I love the way your kitchen is turning out, more inspiration as well, wow!

As for colours, have a peak in an online catalogue (I use IKEA as that is a common look for the kitchens over here) and see when you find one that gives you the :D feeling so to speak.

Please keep up sharing the eye candy as well :evil:

Hugs

Ooh, now I do like the sound of the warm colours! Terra cotta and blue, sounds good... You know I'm going to have too many ideas soon and won't be able to choose ;) But for the time being keep suggestions coming in :p

Muriel,

I stared for a while, and finally I thought of a green granite or marble countertop (something like this: green granite—verde dorado), the perfect foil for the deep blue of the floor. Copper pots hung on the walls, and a blue and green stripe, or maybe a plaid for the walls to bring that blue up?

Something like this: Waverly Bombay Lake

or even this:

Waverly Grand Central Stripe

I'd go with a light natural finish on the wood to let the other strong colors have their say.

Oh, I had too much fun with this! Good luck making your choices!

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_2387_2312_115675.jpg

These are my cabinets... Blue cabinets, and at the moment light wood doors. I've got the light wood counter top, but not sure about the doors. I think I'll score the doors to look like they're made out of wood slats like these, but not 100% sure about the colour. Will probably get used to them and like it soon! Anyway, these are the colours in situ in the new terra cotta coloured kitchen. If you follow the link you can see where I tried out yellow doors, but that meant another colour in the kitchen... what do you think?

gallery_2387_2312_439517.jpg