Hello From Kristine in Texas

Kristine

Hi, I'm Kristine. I am a dreamer and a procrastinator who is finally committing to building the Garfield dollhouse.

Nearly 10 years ago I bought the Garfield kit for my daughter's first birthday; I opened it up, read the instructions, organized all the pieces by sheet in baggies and I put the staircase and base together. 9 1/2 years ago I put the kit in the garage because raising a daughter takes a lot of time and attention and I had no time for building my dreams. I was having too much fun with my daughter :lol:

After a few moves and time, dust and all the elements had deterioated the wood and box, I gave up on the dollhouse and gave it away. Now that I am settled in my new home with lots of room for building and my daughter will be turning 10 soon I have ordered a new Garfield kit and plan to build it with my daughter. The kit will arrive next week and we are excited!

I have always wanted to have a dollhouse since I was little; unfortunately dad was a computer genius who did not inherit my grandfather's woodworking skills or passion for creating works of art. Now with my daughter I have someone to share my dream with as we both love arts and crafts.

I plan to blog throughout the building process, take lots of pictures and ask lots of questions. I hope you all have some great advice for me and will encourage and motivate me from time to time because I'm sure I'll need it!

Kristine

Hi and welcome to the forum!!!!! I just started taking pieces out of the Garfield box thsi week....eek...I'm not even done with my Coventry Cottage yet :nana: The Garfield was the one I really wanted to do but got a bit overwhelmed and impatient for it to get here so got the Coventry while waiting for the Garfiled. Now that I have my a little experience under my belt I've started working on the Garf. I'll finish the Coventry a little at a time.

Thank you all so much for the welcome! I'm glad to see a few of you are also working on the Garfield, it should be a labor of love! I'm posting in the Questions About a Particular House/Greenleaf forum so I'll see you around the boards!

welcome! When I got my first house my youngest was 7 months old and never slept through the night until she was like 2 so my house took forever to finish

anytime she went to grandmas I took advantage of my free time. Now she is in school all day so I get a lot more done when I should be cleaning or doing laundry but hey I have priorities! When she is home she wants to be anywhere I am so I came up with the perfect solution. She has a work desk next to mine and i buy her TONS of craft projects to do while I am doing mine. She got several different house projects like a dollhouse you make of that foam stuff and those little wood boxes that look like houses and she paints them. She loves it and I hope this will help her get into doing her own real dollhouses when she is older. She is very artistic so maybe with all the practice she will get she can be a miniture artisan as an adult. Her dad is a structual engineer so I think that maybe building and designing just has to be in her genes! So the point I was really getting at before blabbing was find something your daughter can do to help or along side you if she wants and then you can talk and enjoy the time you spend together and not feel guilty over your awesome new hobby! :blink:

Hello there, Kristine! Welcome to our happy little group! I am almost jealous . . . how exciting to just be getting into the magical world of miniatures!!! I know that this will be something SO special for you and your daughter!!! I know that I join all of my Greenleaf Forum sisters & brothers in saying we are all SO GLAD YOU JOINED US!!!!! I look forward to following your progress on the ever so lovely Garfield!

• 2 weeks later...